Demo version better?

Demo version better?

Postby clash77 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:54 pm

You must have at least one?
clash77

Re: Demo version better?

Postby version sound » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Depends on which version I heard first usually.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby clash77 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:12 pm

version sound wrote:Depends on which version I heard first usually.

So let me understand VS, If you heard a demo version of "Nothing" ( for example) and you liked it better than what your familiar with, would you dismiss it as bad??..Thats what I'm getting at..
clash77

Postby version sound » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:29 pm

Of course not. If a demo version is better, it's better, but a lot of the time one isn't clearly better than the other, and I think that in that case most of us tend to prefer the version we're most familiar with. I like the demo version of Age of Quarrel better than the LP. I think I prefer the Faith demo to the Faith side of Faith/Void. I like the demos with Dez better than Damaged, but not by much.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby clash77 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:52 pm

version sound wrote:Of course not. If a demo version is better, it's better, but a lot of the time one isn't clearly better than the other, and I think that in that case most of us tend to prefer the version we're most familiar with. I like the demo version of Age of Quarrel better than the LP. I think I prefer the Faith demo to the Faith side of Faith/Void. I like the demos with Dez better than Damaged, but not by much.

OK. Vs..fair enough..
clash77

Postby The Snake » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:31 am

Void of course. :mrgreen:
D. O. A. demo versions of songs from Let´s Wreck The Party (even though I like the versions on the LP too)
Ill Repute 1982 demos (EP versions are cool too, but I like the demos better)
Joy Divison Warsaw demos
The Snake

Postby Stormy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:49 pm

Dez with Flag over Damaged FOR SURE. Also agree with The Faith demo. Love Warsaw, but i think i like it equally with Unknown Pleasures.

top 5;

01 Funeral Oration - Nothing Left to Laugh About '83 demo blows away anything Funeral Oration did after. Top 5 demo for me.

02 The Raw Power demo destroys the LPs. So glad that stuff was collected on the Burning the Factory CD. Such essential HC.

03 The Hated - '87 demo is my fave stuff of theirs. Love the LP and EPs, but that demo is godlike.

04 Sticks & Stones - Inner Revolt demo and '87 demo

05 Ringworm first demo

Freewill as well

Hellhammer "Satanic Rites" demo

NYHC:
Straight Ahead demos
Warzone - Street Kids demo
Breakdown '87 demo
Raw Deal demo
Krakdown
Outburst
Absolution
Stormy

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:11 am

Stormy wrote:04 Sticks & Stones - Inner Revolt demo and '87 demo

My understanding is that Inner Revolt wasn't really a demo, but an actual Lp (their 1st), just pressed onto a cassette. Since I don't own it (I think it is the only Sticks and Stones release I am missing, including compilations except for Can You Break Through? which I used to have), I was eternally grateful for you posting it on your blog some time ago, though! Andrew Orlando (Black Army Jacket/Reservoir Records) was nice enough to dub it for me back in '94, but it's great to have mp3s especially since I have that tape anymore.

Nevertheless, are you arguing that it's better than their other output or just saying you like it? Just curious. I think it rules.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Hal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:20 pm

Stormy wrote:Raw Deal demo

I still love that demo. Much better than anything I recorded as Killing Time.
Hal

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Hal wrote:

You were in KT? Got any cool Anthony stories? :D
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:07 pm

JGJR wrote:
Hal wrote:

I just wanted to ask something like that. :D
The Snake

Postby tango fistula » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:33 pm

Here's one...

The demo for the Dickies "Second Coming"...a record with tons of good tunes and an
unfortunate mix that is keyboard heavy and without punch...

The demo, however, is a guitar heavy punk beast and has been bootlegged at least
a few times.
tango fistula

Postby scannest » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm really digging the Fugazi demo. I don't know that I'd say it is better than the more well-known studio recordings, but the guitars are...I dunno, heavier sounding or something. And the slower tempos on a few of the songs work well.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby worldismyfuse » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:25 pm

Stormy wrote:
NYHC:

Breakdown '87 demo
Raw Deal demo

Absolution

Yes on Breakdown and Raw Deal, nothing else of theirs is as good, imo. While I think I like the Absolution 7" better, I love the demo, especially because it sounds like it was recorded in one take (but an incredible take). I like the way Djinji announces the songs before they begin.
worldismyfuse

Postby worldismyfuse » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:28 pm

And I like the Warsaw demos as much as the next guy, but no way do I like those songs better than on Unknown Pleasures.
worldismyfuse

Postby Hal » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:14 pm

JGJR wrote:
Hal wrote:

Ha! This should have read..."Much better than anything they recorded as Killing Time."
Hal

Postby Stormy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:22 pm

JGJR wrote:

My understanding is that Inner Revolt wasn't really a demo, but an actual Lp (their 1st), just pressed onto a cassette. Since I don't own it (I think it is the only Sticks and Stones release I am missing, including compilations except for Can You Break Through? which I used to have), I was eternally grateful for you posting it on your blog some time ago, though! Andrew Orlando (Black Army Jacket/Reservoir Records) was nice enough to dub it for me back in '94, but it's great to have mp3s especially since I have that tape anymore.

Nevertheless, are you arguing that it's better than their other output or just saying you like it? Just curious. I think it rules.

I like Inner Revolt better than the band's other output.
I had no idea that was the finished product. I figured it would have been re-recorded, and what i have on my blog is just a demo of the album (or cassette in this case). I know it was suppsed to get picked up by Kevin Second's label. Too bad that never happened. Such a crucial recording.
Stormy

Postby gunter1976 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:40 am

scannest wrote:I'm really digging the Fugazi demo. I don't know that I'd say it is better than the more well-known studio recordings, but the guitars are...I dunno, heavier sounding or something. And the slower tempos on a few of the songs work well.

I agree the sound of the demo versions is really engaging on a number of occasions. I think Waiting Room, Merchandise, The Word or Break-In are worth mentioning in this regard.

Still, as to the song arrangements, I prefer the eventual studio recordings, because these studio versions are presented in a more minimalistic fashion, having been stripped bare of all frills and focusing on the propelling rhythm section laid out by Brendan and Joe.

As such, the studio recordings still feel fresh today, absolutely timeless.
gunter1976

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:03 pm

--------------

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:24 pm

gunter1976 wrote:
scannest wrote:I'm really digging the Fugazi demo. I don't know that I'd say it is better than the more well-known studio recordings, but the guitars are...I dunno, heavier sounding or something. And the slower tempos on a few of the songs work well.

I agree the sound of the demo versions is really engaging on a number of occasions. I think Waiting Room, Merchandise, The Word or Break-In are worth mentioning in this regard.

Still, as to the song arrangements, I prefer the eventual studio recordings, because these studio versions are presented in a more minimalistic fashion, having been stripped bare of all frills and focusing on the propelling rhythm section laid out by Brendan and Joe.

I prefer the demo to all re-recordings, but that's probably because I knew and loved it first.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:14 pm

version sound wrote:
gunter1976 wrote:

I prefer the demo to all re-recordings, but that's probably because I knew and loved it first.

I feel like most times that's a huge factor. Whatever you hear first and are used to tends to be the preferred one.

That said, is "Dag With Shawn" considered demos? If so, I like the version of "Another Wrong" on there more than the "CIS" outtake. I don't like any of the other songs more than the CIS versions, but again I bet a big part of that is being so used to the Dave versions before getting my hands on 85-86 a year or so later.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby worldismyfuse » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:59 pm

That said, is "Dag With Shawn" considered demos? If so, I like the version of "Another Wrong" on there more than the "CIS" outtake. I don't like any of the other songs more than the CIS versions, but again I bet a big part of that is being so used to the Dave versions before getting my hands on 85-86 a year or so later.[/quote]

I was going to say the same thing Greg. Another Wrong with Shawn is my favorite version of that song too.
worldismyfuse

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 pm

I think DWS was intended to be a proper release before they kicked Shawn out. After that it was referred to as a demo. I like DWS and CIS about equally, but I'm more likely to listen to DWS these days.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Wretch is spot on with Overkill. MUCH better demo.

Same with Nuclear Assault.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:11 am

tango fistula wrote:Here's one...

The demo for the Dickies "Second Coming"...a record with tons of good tunes and an
unfortunate mix that is keyboard heavy and without punch...

The demo, however, is a guitar heavy punk beast and has been bootlegged at least
a few times.

Really wanna hear this; I think the versions of the tunes that were on Killer Klowns first are much better there. I don't like the mix on Second Coming, either.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:15 am

Stormy wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I like Inner Revolt better than the band's other output.
I had no idea that was the finished product. I figured it would have been re-recorded, and what i have on my blog is just a demo of the album (or cassette in this case). I know it was suppsed to get picked up by Kevin Second's label. Too bad that never happened. Such a crucial recording.

I agree re: too bad it never got picked up and I'd forgotten it was supposed to come out on Positive Force but I vaguely remember reading that at some point. It's probably the best document of the Brian Johns era. If I'm being honest, though, I much prefer the "Storm Coming" 7" and Theme Song for Nothing. I just prefer the version(s) of the band with Pete singing by some distance.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:45 am

The Fugazi demo tape is much better than that new LP.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:50 am

the mean wrote:The Fugazi demo tape is much better than that new LP.

?
JGJR

Postby the mean » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:11 pm

JGJR wrote:

?

I mean, why try to redo those songs in 2014?
the mean

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:29 pm

the mean wrote:
JGJR wrote:

?

Still not following you; they haven't recorded a note since The Argument unless you have access to something I don't. :lol:

Or are we not talking about Fugazi here?
JGJR

Postby the mean » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:33 pm

JGJR wrote:
the mean wrote:
JGJR wrote:

?

Still not following you; they haven't recorded a note since The Argument unless you have access to something I don't. :lol:

You are saying that you like these new versions better than the original demo?
the mean

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:00 pm

the mean wrote:You are saying that you like these new versions better than the original demo?

Before I heard a stream of the new release, the only way I heard the Fugazi demo was via crappy-sounding mp3s, so yeah I like this better. I can't wait to get a vinyl copy.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:21 pm

the mean seems to be implying that the newly released Fugazi demo is somehow different from what made the rounds back in 1988. For some reason he is being coy about what those differences actually are. Why, I do not know.

So please, the mean, explain what you mean by "new versions".
scannest

Postby Gary » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:59 pm

I'd presume that a version straight from the source would sound better than a version ripped from a whatever generation copy would sound better to be the main gist of it?
Gary

Postby obik » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:33 pm

scannest wrote:the mean seems to be implying that the newly released Fugazi demo is somehow different from what made the rounds back in 1988. For some reason he is being coy about what those differences actually are. Why, I do not know.

It's almost like he's pulling your collective tails just to hear you squeal. But no one on the dagboard would ever do that, now would they?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:41 pm

From Wikipedia: there was some incidental "sexist" chatter at the end of on the original demo for "Joe #1" that has been excised from the official release.

I for one am happy not have to hear Ian and Guy discussing some woman's 'mud flaps'. What is that supposed to even mean?
scannest

Postby the mean » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 pm

obik wrote:It's almost like he's pulling your collective tails just to hear you squeal.

Shush.
the mean

Postby obik » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm

the mean wrote:
obik wrote:It's almost like he's pulling your collective tails just to hear you squeal.

Shush.

It'll be our little secret.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:30 am

scannest wrote:From Wikipedia: there was some incidental "sexist" chatter at the end of on the original demo for "Joe #1" that has been excised from the official release.

I for one am happy not have to hear Ian and Guy discussing some woman's 'mud flaps'. What is that supposed to even mean?

I love this. Although to be more accurate, they were actually talking about the idea of sex and putting it on a farm.
JGJR

Postby Stormy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:31 am

I think the Flesh Ripping Sonic Torment demo is way better than the first Carcass LP
Also thing the Repulsion demo is better than Horrified
the SFA demos (with Mike BS from GO!) kill the later stuff
starting to think the YDI demo wight be better than the EP
Stormy

Return to daghouse