"24 Hour Revenge Therapy" 20 yrs later

"24 Hour Revenge Therapy" 20 yrs later

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Okay, I just did an IG post on this album, but I'll do some stick and paste with some more extended thoughts. Was listening to my iPod and a JAWBREAKER song came on shuffle. Still blows me away that ‪JAWBREAKER‬'s "24 Hr Revenge Therapy" is 20 yrs old. Back in the 90's when most of my favorite ‪‎punk‬ bands were calling it quits or semi retirement, I needed a new band to champion & Jawbreaker came along at the right time. I had already been exposed to "Bivouac" which was great in it's own self, so I had high anticipation for "24 Hr Rev Therapy." It pretty much exceeded my expectations. It was less heavier than "Bivouac," but it had more catchy melodies. Lyrically I related to it being around the same age range, plus living near and working in San Francisco's Mission District. "Dear You" was a great follow up as well, but "24 Hr Rev Therapy" has a special place with me and still holds up very well musically. Sorry to act a little elitist, but this album also came at a time before they got mainstream and all those GREEN DAY and OFFSPRING fans started showing up at the gigs. Was a fun time when you'd see 'em on bills with GVB, JAWBOX or STRAWMAN in the clubs.

^v^
WrEtcH

Re: "24 Hour Revenge Therapy" 20 yrs later

Postby the mean » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:08 pm

Saw them/ booked them a bunch of times. Great band, solid people.

"Dear You" is still not very good, though.
the mean

Postby worldismyfuse » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Still my absolute favorite Jawbreaker record. I really enjoy everything they recorded (with the exception of Dear You, which never did much for me), but 24 Hour is incredible the whole way through. I fell in love with this record in high school and it still remains in steady rotation.
worldismyfuse

Postby JGJR » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:57 pm

worldismyfuse wrote:Still my absolute favorite Jawbreaker record. I really enjoy everything they recorded (with the exception of Dear You, which never did much for me), but 24 Hour is incredible the whole way through. I fell in love with this record in high school and it still remains in steady rotation.

I love this record as well as the first two and much of the singles/splits/comp tracks up to that point as well. I hated Dear You when it came out, but grew to love it years later like many others did. Anyone pick up the 24 Hour reissue yet? I have the original, so it's not really necessary, but I'm curious.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby paul » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:37 am

Such a good record, and there's nothing that even sounds remotely like it!
paul

Postby Chris Shary » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:22 pm

Right before this record came out, Jawbreaker toured and played Boulder Colorado. I went and was super stoked that they only played like 2 "old" songs. Everything else was new, and most of it was to be on 24 Hour. Blake told a story of the semi that was transporting their records (24 Hour) and how it jack-knifed on the highway and they lost all the pressing. They should have been taking the record out with them, but they simply did not have any. Fairly crazy right? They were simply sublime that night.
Chris Shary

Postby Gary » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:20 pm

I've never been able to get into Dear You. Had live tapes with some of the songs for a long time and way preferred those versions. Helped put them on both times they played Ireland and they were great. 2nd time was right before the operation,his voice was harsh.
Gary

Postby dave123 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Liked Unfun. Really liked Chesterfield King (not sure why specifically). Paid attention slightly to Bivouac and 24 Hour Revenge Therapy. Got back on board in a big way with Dear You. The first song on Dear You is so good, I couldn't even care about the rest of the LP. Saw them live a few times by default (friends were going so I tagged along to talk to girls); live they never did anything for me, probably because I wasn't super familiar with whatever record they were touring on or maybe because at that time I compared every live band to SNFU live. I should revisit this LP, as I would probably really like it now. I can't believe it has been 20 years. I really liked the first Jets to Brazil LP.
dave123

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:57 pm

Gary wrote:I've never been able to get into Dear You. Had live tapes with some of the songs for a long time and way preferred those versions. Helped put them on both times they played Ireland and they were great. 2nd time was right before the operation,his voice was harsh.

They were fantastic when I saw them in the fall of 1995 on the Dear You tour.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:58 pm

dave123 wrote:Liked Unfun. Really liked Chesterfield King (not sure why specifically). Paid attention slightly to Bivouac and 24 Hour Revenge Therapy. Got back on board in a big way with Dear You. The first song on Dear You is so good, I couldn't even care about the rest of the LP. Saw them live a few times by default (friends were going so I tagged along to talk to girls); live they never did anything for me, probably because I wasn't super familiar with whatever record they were touring on or maybe because at that time I compared every live band to SNFU live. I should revisit this LP, as I would probably really like it now. I can't believe it has been 20 years. I really liked the first Jets to Brazil LP.

Nah, my favorite song on Dear You (by some distance) is this.

JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:32 pm

First JB album I heard and still my favorite.

I actually like Dear You more than Unfun.

Neither can match 24 Hour (or Bivouac) though...
patient_ot

Postby scannest » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:22 pm

"Their only great record" is the correct answer.

Thanks for playing!
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:38 pm

patient_ot wrote:I actually like Dear You more than Unfun.

Neither can match 24 Hour (or Bivouac) though...

I'm of this opinion
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:09 am

scannest wrote:"Their only great record" is the correct answer.

Thanks for playing!

No. Just no. All of their records are varying degrees of great. 24RT is probably the one I've played most over the years, but it is very close between any of the 1st 3 really.
JGJR

Postby Stormy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:33 pm

I always though 24 Hour was a pretty big drop from Bivouac, which contained the band's most experimental, layered and epic (for lack of a better way to put it) songs. I thought for sure they would expand on that sound, on the unique magic they captured with PS NY is Burning, Like A Secret, Donatello, Sleep etc. But 24 Hour seemed to regress to basic pop structure for the most part. Instant gratification to be sure with songs like Boat Dreams and Do You Still Hate Me, but as the years went by, the more complex Bivouac has held up a hell of a lot better. I don't think i'll ever get tired of that album (Unfun as well). But 24 Hour (besides a couple classics including Condition Oakland) just comes across too basic and (at times) poppy. Especially considering what it followed. Boxcar and Indictment are downright embarrassing. A lot of people said they died with Dear You (although the praise for that bland slab over the past few years is at an all time high), i thought they were dying before that. So glad they split up after Dear You. I cringe when i think what would have been next.

Saw them twice on the Bivouac tour and they were two of the best shows i've ever seen. Saw them years later on the Dear You tour and it was awful.
Stormy

Postby 77clash » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:02 pm

never listened to this band

Oi!Oi!Oi!
77clash

Postby the mean » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:24 pm

We can all agree that "Kiss The Bottle" is their best song, right?
the mean

Postby Stormy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:11 am

the mean wrote:We can all agree that "Kiss The Bottle" is their best song, right?

Eye-5
Stormy

Postby Chris Shary » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:53 am

I was blown away that "Kiss The Bottle" was a comp song! Why on earth would you limit it to that? Totally their best. Best lyrical imagery. Perfect for any mix tape, guys you know what I'm talking about.
Chris Shary

Postby The Snake » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:09 am

My favorite Jawbreaker song is Sea Foam Green from Punk USA compilation on Lookout from 1994. or 1995. The song was later released on Etc. Some other Jawbreaker compilation songs are also great.
As for albums, Unfun is probably my favorite. When I was younger, I didn´t get Bivouac, now I think it´s great.
Dear You I liked more before, now I don´t have desire to listen to it.
24 Hour has some great songs and some that I´m not a fan of.
The Snake

Postby Stormy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:04 pm

The Snake wrote:My favorite Jawbreaker song is Sea Foam Green from Punk USA compilation on Lookout from 1994. or 1995. The song was later released on Etc. Some other Jawbreaker compilation songs are also great.
As for albums, Unfun is probably my favorite. When I was younger, I didn´t get Bivouac, now I think it´s great.

Finally! Someone who shares my thoughts on this band's output
Stormy

Postby The Snake » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Stormy wrote:
The Snake wrote:My favorite Jawbreaker song is Sea Foam Green from Punk USA compilation on Lookout from 1994. or 1995. The song was later released on Etc. Some other Jawbreaker compilation songs are also great.

Finally! Someone who shares my thoughts on this band's output

That and 80´s NYC Hardcore! ;)
The Snake

Postby dave123 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:29 pm

Chris Shary wrote:I was blown away that "Kiss The Bottle" was a comp song! Why on earth would you limit it to that? Totally their best. Best lyrical imagery. Perfect for any mix tape, guys you know what I'm talking about.

That song is stellar. You nailed it when you said it was meant for the mix tape. I know I threw it on a few.
dave123

Return to daghouse