Captivators/HR spam

Captivators/HR spam

Postby target » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Hi board--- my band, the Captivators, is playing in DC at comet ping ping on Friday Dec 5
We are opening for the Scotchbonnets, who will then serve as the backing band for HR, the bad brains singer. If you're interested I'd love to see you there!
target

Re: Captivators/HR spam

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:23 pm

What does HR play these days? I really like the first two 12"s. Lost track after that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby 77clash » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:43 pm

target wrote:Hi board--- my band, the Captivators, is playing in DC at comet ping ping on Friday Dec 5
We are opening for the Scotchbonnets, who will then serve as the backing band for HR, the bad brains singer. If you're interested I'd love to see you there!

send us some tunes
77clash

Postby john stabb » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:24 am

Love to catch your set, Alex. But be leaving pronto before the old confused bird brain in a George Washington wig meanders around the stage.

As far as I can tell (based on seeing him with Nervous Impulse a yr ago), version, he plays an unplugged electric guitar when he's not using his invisible dog leash. But since he probably isn't mumbling a few lines to any bird brains songs, maybe he'll sing reggae. :roll:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:17 am

John, did you see HR (the band) at all in the early days? I'm curious how much hardcore they played early on.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:37 am

version sound wrote:John, did you see HR (the band) at all in the early days? I'm curious how much hardcore they played early on.

it was half and half, kind of like the late 80s bad brains. i had a live show but it got lost in a HD crash. it had some unreleased songs on it too.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:44 am

Bummer, I would have liked to hear that. I like that early stuff, even the non-hardcore, more than any post-RFL Bad Brains.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:50 am

version sound wrote:Bummer, I would have liked to hear that. I like that early stuff, even the non-hardcore, more than any post-RFL Bad Brains.

i traded a brains show to some guy in germany or something. this was like 2006 or so. he sent me a huge file with all of this awesome shit and it died when i simply knocked my first external HD over on the carpet from its standing position. it literally took nothing to break it after it survived many months in europe. whatever. i am sure someone has it out there, it was from 84 if i remember right. i think it was the same show they took the live track from on the lp, but i am not sure.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:16 am

I had an external HD and it just died one day. Nothing happened to it, it was just totally dead. Those things are not to be trusted.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:21 am

version sound wrote:I had an external HD and it just died one day. Nothing happened to it, it was just totally dead. Those things are not to be trusted.

yeah, my first two were seagates and they definitely had issues. have something pretty sturdy right now, but they are only meant to last 4 years or so anyway.
yourenotevil

Postby 77clash » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 am

yourenotevil wrote:
version sound wrote:I had an external HD and it just died one day. Nothing happened to it, it was just totally dead. Those things are not to be trusted.

yeah, my first two were seagates and they definitely had issues. have something pretty sturdy right now, but they are only meant to last 4 years or so anyway.

Buy Western Digital. Or, buy a 5 bay Synology server that has redundancy and the hard drives are hot swappable. And then buy, a second server from a different brand so you can back it up to there. And then buy some individual external hard drives as your 3rd source for backup. Then, make some copies for your friends on their hard drives in different parts of the country. You don't want to lose the digital punk library that has taken 15+ years to curate.
77clash

Postby scannest » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:05 am

77clash wrote:You don't want to lose the digital punk library that has taken 15+ years to curate.

Hasn't the Smithsonian agreed to archive this upon your demise?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:07 am

77clash wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Buy Western Digital. Or, buy a 5 bay Synology server that has redundancy and the hard drives are hot swappable. And then buy, a second server from a different brand so you can back it up to there. And then buy some individual external hard drives as your 3rd source for backup. Then, make some copies for your friends on their hard drives in different parts of the country. You don't want to lose the digital punk library that has taken 15+ years to curate.

yeah, i have one of those now. they are definitely good quality. the other stuff is going to take some extra money and motivation....
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:13 am

Nope. Never dug HR solo records or saw his gigs, version. No interest after first 2 BB albums & a handful of piledriver-like gigs in early 80's DC.

Funny, yne - HR KILLED THE VIDEO STAR.
john stabb

Postby lewdd » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:20 am

scannest wrote:
77clash wrote:You don't want to lose the digital punk library that has taken 15+ years to curate.

Hasn't the Smithsonian agreed to archive this upon your demise?

I may have to create a will that ensures it goes to a good place.
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 am

Alex-please let us know if HR smoke cigs on stage even though it has been "banned in DC" for years. That's what he did when I saw him hanging back at The Red and The Black (now The Red Palace). :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby john stabb » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:29 am

HR ain't smoking no cigs, GANGA, sure. But no cigs. That would be so PUNK of him to smoke in a non-smoking venue. :roll:
john stabb

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 am

It was cigs. The old room was small as you remember, I would have remembered (via the smell) if it was Mary Jane. Plus the staff probably would have had to kick him out for wacky tobacky, even if he is H.R. :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby target » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Not exactly sure what to expect with HR, but his backing band for the show, the Scotchbonnets, are really good
The Captivators continue to be fun. We lost a trombone player ( out of two) but gained a really good trumpet player
target

Return to daghouse