Filmage

Filmage

Postby clash77 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:47 am

Many things here..First, hearing Bill in the same sentence as Neil Peart is just stupid(not that I'm a big Rush fan, but seriously??).Never knew there was a connection to The Last..News to me..Cool! Now the bad, I know why I posted the thread I did months ago.All( decent with Smalley) were/are BAD overall....Just BAD..Forgetful band IMO..
clash77

Re: Filmage

Postby clash77 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:49 am

clash77 wrote:Many things here..First, hearing Bill in the same sentence as Neil Peart is just stupid(not that I'm a big Rush fan, but seriously??).Never knew there was a connection to The Last..News to me..Cool! Now the bad, I know why I posted the thread I did months ago.All( decent with Smalley) were/are BAD overall....Just BAD..Forgetful band IMO..

Forgettable..
clash77

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:29 am

You have an opinion similar to many on ALL, but it differs from mine. In fact, I think they wrote some very good songs post-Smalley. "Just My Ex" may be the best punk love song ever.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:56 am

Great documentary. Cant’ wait for my Blu Ray to come so I can dig into the bonus features.

Also, I love all 3 ALL singers.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Dinko » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:30 pm

clash77 wrote:News to me..Cool!

Good attitude.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:04 pm

lewdd wrote:You have an opinion similar to many on ALL, but it differs from mine. In fact, I think they wrote some very good songs post-Smalley. "Just My Ex" may be the best punk love song ever.

"She's My Ex" was originally a Smalley song. It was performed with ALL w/ Smalley in the band, but recorded w/ Reynolds.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby 77clash » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:07 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
lewdd wrote:You have an opinion similar to many on ALL, but it differs from mine. In fact, I think they wrote some very good songs post-Smalley. "Just My Ex" may be the best punk love song ever.

"She's My Ex" was originally a Smalley song. It was performed with ALL w/ Smalley in the band, but recorded w/ Reynolds.

Wow! :o
77clash

Postby JGJR » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:44 pm

77clash wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

That is news to me, too.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:58 pm

JGJR wrote:
77clash wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

That is news to me, too.

I wish I could find a recording of it, but I saw ALL during "Sez" and before "Prez" came out. The were doing "Ex" before Reynolds and "Revenge" came out. btw, they also did a kick ass cover of FEAR's "I Don't Care About You" too w/ Smalley
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:02 pm

WrEtcH wrote:I wish I could find a recording of it, but I saw ALL during "Sez" and before "Prez" came out. The were doing "Ex" before Reynolds and "Revenge" came out. btw, they also did a kick ass cover of FEAR's "I Don't Care About You" too w/ Smalley

That is great. I saw The Bouncing Souls cover that song once in '92.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:06 pm

it took me the longest time to finally see FEAR and they did not disappoint when I saw them a couple years ago in Sacramento (w/ AGENT ORANGE & D.I.) One dude was harassing Lee on stage during the 2nd song and Lee pummeled the guy. It was like "The Decline" all over again :lol:
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:08 pm

WrEtcH wrote:it took me the longest time to finally see FEAR and they did not disappoint when I saw them a couple years ago in Sacramento. One dude was harassing Lee on stage during the 2nd song and Lee pummeled the guy. It was like "The Decline" all over again :lol:

Their show at City Gardens in 1993 was the scariest show I've ever been to. It wasn't well-attended at all and half of the audience was Nazi skinheads. The cops came after the Nazis were sieg hieling and beating people up, there was a riot, the PA was unplugged during the encore and I basically ran back to my car and got out of there as fast as possible.

I saw them again about 5-6 years ago here and it was far less eventful.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:24 pm

wow! the skinhead problems in the past in SF kinda disappeared as the scene kinda died down in SF. When I started going back to gigs in the mid 90's, there weren't too many in attendance. keep in mind that bands like BLACK FLAG, DK's or CIRCLE JERKS were no longer active. The scene was more like JAWBREAKER, SAMIAM and stuff like STEEL POLE BATHTUB and SWINGING UTTERS. The skinheads weren't into that scene.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby aquaman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:27 pm

You could almost say "She's My Ex" was a Descendents song....the bridge is from the song "Silver" an outtake from Enjoy that completists will know.
aquaman

Postby 77clash » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:30 pm

JGJR wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:it took me the longest time to finally see FEAR and they did not disappoint when I saw them a couple years ago in Sacramento. One dude was harassing Lee on stage during the 2nd song and Lee pummeled the guy. It was like "The Decline" all over again :lol:

Their show at City Gardens in 1993 was the scariest show I've ever been to. It wasn't well-attended at all and half of the audience was Nazi skinheads. The cops came after the Nazis were sieg hieling and beating people up, there was a riot, the PA was unplugged during the encore and I basically ran back to my car and got out of there as fast as possible.

I saw them again about 5-6 years ago here and it was far less eventful.

The nazis were pretty numerous in Allentown around that same time. I was at an Exploited show where they sprayed mace in Wattie's eyes, and at a Social Distortion show that had a fight every other song. Stupid fucks knew how to ruin a good time.
77clash

Postby The Snake » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:49 am

WrEtcH wrote:

I didn´t know that, but that doesn´t surprise me because Descendents/ALL were always hyper productive with writing songs.

I love ALL and all their vocalists are cool but Reynolds is still my favorite and Allroy´s Revenge is still my favorite ALL album.
The Snake

Postby Dinko » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:46 am

Btw, is there any filmage of the recent Reynolds/Gerunds gig?
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:37 pm

aquaman wrote:You could almost say "She's My Ex" was a Descendents song....the bridge is from the song "Silver" an outtake from Enjoy that completists will know.

leave it to aquaman to take it even a fact further :lol:
Last edited by WrEtcH on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby jaybird » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:39 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
aquaman wrote:You could almost say "She's My Ex" was a Descendents song....the bridge is from the song "Silver" an outtake from Enjoy that completists will know.

leave it to acumen to take it even a fact further :lol:

It was never actually recorded in a studio, right? The only thing I've ever heard is a crappy live version.
jaybird

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:40 pm

jaybird wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

It was never actually recorded in a studio, right? The only thing I've ever heard is a crappy live version.

I kinda like Milo's version

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby jaybird » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:49 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
jaybird wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:

I kinda like Milo's version

Me too, but I was talking about the claim that "Silver" is an Enjoy "outtake". I'm 99.9999% certain it was only ever played live.
jaybird

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:56 pm

okay, gotcha.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby aquaman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:21 pm

Jaybird is probably correct...Long before the boots came out I had a live tape from the winter tour that I played to death. It had Shattered Milo, Vinnie and Silver on it...the other two were recorded I guess Silver was not.
aquaman

Postby lewdd » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:53 pm

Yeah, I only have Silver as live bootleg recordings not demos.
lewdd

Postby The Snake » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:39 am

Still, She´s My Ex with Reynolds is the best version.
The Snake

Postby NotBaker » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm still waiting for my DVD. I haven't seen it yet.
NotBaker

Postby clash77 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Ok..point taken..For me, i would rather "Hope" from the former..I could list other "love songs" from other bands.But thats another thread..
clash77

Postby 77clash » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:39 pm

Look what the post man dropped off a week or so before I expected to receive it.

77clash

Postby gregpolard » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:53 pm

77clash wrote:Look what the post man dropped off a week or so before I expected to receive it.

i got the same exact package today!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm just getting DVD hope it's before the 2nd so I can watch it over the 4 day weekend.
drew

Postby Chris Shary » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:58 pm

Guess I'd better check to see if my stuff got sent. Really happy the Ascent of Man shirt is back in print!
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Guess I'd better check to see if my stuff got sent. Really happy the Ascent of Man shirt is back in print!

It looks even better in person. I'm happy it's back too!

Also I watched the bonus features. Well worth it. The bonus cut itself is like 45 minutes of stuff that's not in the movie. Plus 10 mins of Tony stuff and 10 of bill. Plus live stuff.
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:30 pm

Yeah I updated the colors on the new Ascent of Man ever so slightly. I redrew it for a large silkscreened poster as well. Those should be ready to go soon. I added Bill's head scar and Milo's stage outfit.
Chris Shary

Postby 77clash » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:12 pm

Finally sat down and watched the main film. Fucking awesome!

Aquaman, how did you manage to get in the film?
77clash

Postby lewdd » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:32 pm

Anyone know who drew this?

lewdd

Postby aquaman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:12 am

I was in Vegas for Punk Rock Bowling and they were asking folks to be interviewed if they had anything to contribute. I did about a 10 minute interview talking more about the generosity of the guys and how they took Pilster and I in when we showed up at their practice space on our first trip to Cali without any sort of hotel or plan. They said they liked that it gave another side to show and cut it down to a two second clip. To paraphrase Navin Johnson, I'm just happy to be in there somewhere.
aquaman

Postby Chris Shary » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:40 am

I think the real reason you got in is because you're the sorta guy who quotes Navin Johnson! That doesn't happen everyday.
PS, we got the new phonebook yesterday…….
Chris Shary

Postby 77clash » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 pm

So, I've been thinking about this since I watched the film last weekend. This really seemed like the story of Bill Stevenson and not the band. Also, I think it would have been nice if there would have been one disc about the Descendents and then another disc about ALL. It seemed like they rushed through the story of ALL. To me, this didn't help convert any Descendents folks to ALL fans. I think they could have helped ALL a little more by giving it some more focus than they did. Back to the story of Bill. He seems to be the only one who they focused on his family, upbringing, etc.

Fuck, who am I kidding. I could have watched a 24 hour 8 disc documentary about these bands. I want more. They deserve to give us it ALL!
77clash

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 am

What’s great about Filmage is, to me, it seems to warrant multiple viewings. I’ve watched it twice so far (once at the screening in Trenton and then once when I bought the iTunes version) and I already am having a hard time waiting for the mini viewing party I’m having at my house next month to watch again!
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:54 am

77clash wrote:So, I've been thinking about this since I watched the film last weekend. This really seemed like the story of Bill Stevenson and not the band. Also, I think it would have been nice if there would have been one disc about the Descendents and then another disc about ALL. It seemed like they rushed through the story of ALL. To me, this didn't help convert any Descendents folks to ALL fans. I think they could have helped ALL a little more by giving it some more focus than they did. Back to the story of Bill. He seems to be the only one who they focused on his family, upbringing, etc.

Fuck, who am I kidding. I could have watched a 24 hour 8 disc documentary about these bands. I want more. They deserve to give us it ALL!

Bill's story is where the most of the drama is though, and it's pretty much always been his band. He's the natural focus point for anyone wanting to tell an actual story/narrative, rather than just recite a bunch of facts about the band.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:20 pm

jaybird wrote:
77clash wrote:So, I've been thinking about this since I watched the film last weekend. This really seemed like the story of Bill Stevenson and not the band. Also, I think it would have been nice if there would have been one disc about the Descendents and then another disc about ALL. It seemed like they rushed through the story of ALL. To me, this didn't help convert any Descendents folks to ALL fans. I think they could have helped ALL a little more by giving it some more focus than they did. Back to the story of Bill. He seems to be the only one who they focused on his family, upbringing, etc.

Bill's story is where the most of the drama is though, and it's pretty much always been his band. He's the natural focus point for anyone wanting to tell an actual story/narrative, rather than just recite a bunch of facts about the band.

This. The stuff about his dad nearly brought me to tears both times that I have watched it so far.
JGJR

Postby Ed Roach » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:52 am

I got my copy in the mail Friday....watched it twice...it's so good, it ranks up there with ''Westway To The World'' about The Clash.
Quite a bit of stuff in there I didn't know...one of the best docs about a band, ever.
Ed Roach

Postby drew » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:32 am

Finally watched it & the bonus stuff all together. Probably the best of this crop of Punk-Rawk-Docs.
I found it weird that the "I dont want to grow up" segement was in the bonus features and not the Film(age) & "Cool to be you" is pretty much not addressed at all.
Really great info about Frank Navetta that I didn't know, Bill's dad, some of the Smalley bits.....all in all a really great piece of work that covered just about everything I wanted to know about the band. I'm a little surprised no Henry Rollins and besides Chuch Dukowski no one from SST.
Great footage of our own Chris Shary & was great to see aquaman for a bit.
drew

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:25 pm

Thanks Drew. It was a real treat to be asked to be interviewed and filmed drawing for the film. The dudes behind it are all super ace characters, and I couldn't be happier. It really is the best band doc I've seen.
Chris Shary

Postby gregpolard » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:38 pm

I am having a viewing party at my house on Saturday w/ a few friends. Stoked.
gregpolard

Postby The Snake » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Watched Filmage twice last weekend.
I liked it very much.
First watched alone and then with few friends, they all liked the movie.
There are some very touching moments in the movie and is interesting how some ex members (Descendents & ALL) regret for leaving the band.
The Snake

Postby Janelle » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:49 pm

gregpolard wrote:What’s great about Filmage is, to me, it seems to warrant multiple viewings. I’ve watched it twice so far (once at the screening in Trenton and then once when I bought the iTunes version) and I already am having a hard time waiting for the mini viewing party I’m having at my house next month to watch again!

Yeah, I enjoyed it and actually wanna see it again.

OK Clash77? Hear that? Put it back up in the queue!!!!!
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby gregpolard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Janelle wrote:
gregpolard wrote:What’s great about Filmage is, to me, it seems to warrant multiple viewings. I’ve watched it twice so far (once at the screening in Trenton and then once when I bought the iTunes version) and I already am having a hard time waiting for the mini viewing party I’m having at my house next month to watch again!

Yeah, I enjoyed it and actually wanna see it again.

OK Clash77? Hear that? Put it back up in the queue!!!!!

House party has been postponed, so I may just watch it alone if time allows.
gregpolard

Postby worldismyfuse » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:43 am

This was good. Definitely one of the best band docs I've ever seen. I agree with an earlier post - I wanted to hear more about other band member's lives, especially Milo. He's one of my favorite singers and his science career has always interested me.
worldismyfuse

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:23 pm

FYI: Now available for rental on Amazon Prime.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Next

Return to daghouse