the fifty worst albums ever made

the fifty worst albums ever made

Postby obik » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:30 am

http://flavorwire.com/485588/the-50-wor ... -ever-made

I eagerly away JGJR and/or gregpolard's rebuttal.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Re: the fifty worst albums ever made

Postby crus » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:01 am

Back when The Smiths released Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before i remember reading one review that consisted solely of the word, stop.

I like that Linkin Park album (btw Body Count do not sound like Depeche mode playing metal)but definitely agree with what was written about Cut the Crap.
crus

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:21 am

"No Jacket Required" is fuckin' great.
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:58 am

Pure click bait. Most of us haven't even heard of, much less heard, the actual 50 worst albums of all time.

If that asshole doesn't appreciate "All I Want for Christmas is You", then I can't really trust his opinion on anything else, can I?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:11 am

Click bait is right.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:23 am

You'd think there'd be a band called Click Bait by now.
Welly

Postby john stabb » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:24 am

Haven't heard some of them because I choose not to punish myself but it's click bait city :!: I do hate anything by most of the artists like: Green Day, Blink 182, but Jet or Oasis didn't release a terrible album. It wasn't outstanding but worst ever made :?: Certainly not. And the Stones album - no way. FLAVORWIRE seems to leave a bad flavor in my mouth. :x
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:35 am

Here's the thing. Some of that list is spot on, I'm sure. But a lot is shock value, IMO.

I love that Oasis album. It's a bit long, yeah. But they did way worse stuff after it. And even those lesser albums, like Stabb said, aren't "worst ever made".

Same with Blink, Green Day, etc.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:47 am

I've not clicked, but if one of the 50 isn't a band I was in, it's bunk.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:23 am

Welly wrote:I've not clicked, but if one of the 50 isn't a band I was in, it's bunk.

LOL! Same here.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:59 pm

I own maybe 4-5 albums on that list.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby captain2man » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Any list like this that doesn't mention The Shaggs album is incomplete.

That album is so bad that everyone must listen to it at least once in their lifetime. (and once you listen to it once, you'll have to listen to it twice because you'll be compelled to play it for someone else).
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 pm

captain2man wrote:Any list like this that doesn't mention The Shaggs album is incomplete.

That album is so bad that everyone must listen to it at least once in their lifetime. (and once you listen to it once, you'll have to listen to it twice because you'll be compelled to play it for someone else).

You say bad, I say great. I own it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:15 pm

JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:Any list like this that doesn't mention The Shaggs album is incomplete.

Me too. It's actually addicting in its atrociousness.
captain2man

Postby dave123 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:55 pm

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I agree. Brilliant in it's atrociousness. I have owned it a few times. Probably will own it again a few more times. When I worked in a record shop, we always stocked a copy mainly to play when the place was packed just to see people's reactions, but it sold pretty regularly. The owner was cool with this but drew the line at playing the Kids of Widney High.
dave123

Postby lewdd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:54 pm

the guy apparently doesnt like 21st century modern rock
lewdd

Postby john stabb » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:54 am

For all the lack of talented musicianship THE SHAGGS had - they came up with far more interesting and memorable songs than Green Day, Blink 182, Limp Bizkit and about 30 bands on this albums list. THE SHAGGS are brilliant not atrocious to me.
john stabb

Postby tango fistula » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:01 pm

"It's Hall-o-ween It's Hall-o-ween It's Hall-OOH-ween"

Now that's a Shaggs holiday classic!
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:05 pm

dave123 wrote:
captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I agree. Brilliant in it's atrociousness. I have owned it a few times. Probably will own it again a few more times. When I worked in a record shop, we always stocked a copy mainly to play when the place was packed just to see people's reactions, but it sold pretty regularly. The owner was cool with this but drew the line at playing the Kids of Widney High.

I agree up to a point. It's impossibly sloppy, unmusical, untrained, et al. When folks say that a given band can't play, it's usually BS. In the case of The Shaggs, though, they really couldn't. What's interesting about listening to that album now or in a modern context is how similar it sounds to some late '70s/early '80s Rough Trade stuff, particularly bands like The Raincoats, so if you're used to that stuff, it doesn't sound all that weird.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:32 pm

john stabb wrote:For all the lack of talented musicianship THE SHAGGS had - they came up with far more interesting and memorable songs than Green Day, Blink 182, Limp Bizkit and about 30 bands on this albums list. THE SHAGGS are brilliant not atrocious to me.

Oh John........the album is absolutely atrocious. But - its brilliance is that - as you say: "they came up with far more interesting and memorable songs than Green Day, Blink 182, Limp Bizkit and about 30 bands on this albums list."

Could not agree more.

It's very possibly the best absolutely awful record in history.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:00 pm

captain2man wrote:
john stabb wrote:For all the lack of talented musicianship THE SHAGGS had - they came up with far more interesting and memorable songs than Green Day, Blink 182, Limp Bizkit and about 30 bands on this albums list. THE SHAGGS are brilliant not atrocious to me.

Oh John........the album is absolutely atrocious. But - its brilliance is that - as you say: "they came up with far more interesting and memorable songs than Green Day, Blink 182, Limp Bizkit and about 30 bands on this albums list."

Could not agree more.

It's very possibly the best absolutely awful record in history.

Well said (though I love the 1st 2 Green Day albums and early singles).
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:26 am

I will accept that description of THE SHAGGS, captain. 8-)
john stabb

Return to daghouse