I "Get" G. Warrior Now

I "Get" G. Warrior Now

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Well, I understand his love of Dio Sabbath more, at least. After the death of my iPod(s), the only digital Sabbath I'm left with is Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules. They are really starting to grow on me. It's surprising how much they sound like early Dickinson-fronted Iron Maiden.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: I "Get" G. Warrior Now

Postby James » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Die Young and Neon Knights are both great songs.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby JGJR » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Of those two, I'm only really familiar with Heaven and Hell, but I think to appreciate that album, you have to throw out the idea that it will resemble any Ozzy-era Sabbath (well except for their newest album) at all. It's much more NWOBHM influenced (as you note) and just faster, more modern (for that time), less sludgy, etc. It's basically a different band though at that point the same lineup except for the vocalists.

I also have a theory about how Born Again is the last real Black Sabbath album until the last few, which is somewhat related. After that, it was basically the Tony Iommi Project.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:20 pm

I bought 'Born Again' the day it was released. Amazed that they recruited Gillan. Still like that album plenty.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 pm

JGJR wrote:Of those two, I'm only really familiar with Heaven and Hell, but I think to appreciate that album, you have to throw out the idea that it will resemble any Ozzy-era Sabbath (well except for their newest album) at all. It's much more NWOBHM influenced (as you note) and just faster, more modern (for that time), less sludgy, etc. It's basically a different band though at that point the same lineup except for the vocalists.

I also have a theory about how Born Again is the last real Black Sabbath album until the last few, which is somewhat related. After that, it was basically the Tony Iommi Project.

Yup, they're pretty NWOBHM-y. I think both are pretty great. I have a soft spot for Mob Rules because the title track was on the Heavy Metal soundtrack. It was actually my favorite song on there, and arguably the only actual heavy metal song of the lot.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:44 pm

My 2 faves on Mob Rules are 'Sign of the Southern Cross' and 'Falling off the Edge of the World'. Prolly cause they remind me of Rainbow.

They had the good sense to play both songs when I saw them right before Dio passed away.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:51 pm

i back all dio related sabbath. don't really hear the iron maiden influence in those albums though. they both had the same producer at some point though.live evil is also worth checking out, as well as the heaven and hell live shit.

born again is pretty much their last great album until dehumanizer. i do think there was some very good material in between those albums, but it was inconsistent.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Maiden influence? That's a laugh.

Heaven and Hell was released in 1980 wasn't it?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:26 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Maiden influence? That's a laugh.

yeah, 1980.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:27 pm

yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, 1980.

And Maiden's first record came out in..... :?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:31 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

yeah, 1980.

And Maiden's first record came out in..... :?

they both came out in april actually.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:33 pm

I never said there was an influence. I only said that stuff sounds a lot like early Maiden with Dickinson. Odds are if there was any influence, it was Dickinson being influenced by Dio, maybe with Rainbow.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Pretty much anything and everything Dio related kicks unholy ass. I think at the end of the day he probably was and is my favorite metal singer of all time. I actually really liked the direction Sabbath took when he joined the band. Mob Rules is probably my favorite BS record. I thought that last Heaven And Hell record pissed all over the latest Sabbath release. I'm also a big fan of Rainbow in most all of their incarnations. Deep Purple, too. I loved how all the members of these bands kept interchanging because I loved them all. I might even like the first couple Rainbow records better than Black Sabbath, personally. Ritchie Blackmore > Tony Iommi, imo.
SamDBL

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:18 pm

SamDBL wrote: Dio.....at the end of the day he probably was and is my favorite metal singer of all time.

Easily.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:38 am

Random thoughts:

1) I'm still amazed that Dio is dead and Ozzy is still alive.
2) xxxMidgexxx has great taste in metal.
3) I think Dio-era Sabbath is just as good as the Ozzy stuff, just...different.
4) My AIM screen name for the past 6 or so years has been neonknights81
5) Does anyone still use AIM?
6) I did a webzine briefly also called Neon Knights
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:48 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
SamDBL wrote: Dio.....at the end of the day he probably was and is my favorite metal singer of all time.

Easily.

And he made a great Toll House Cookie.
Hello.
pedro

Postby drew » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:56 am

Since the reunion with Dio I listen to the Dio-era albums more than Ozzy these past few years. Pick up "Heaven & Hell-Live at Radio City" it's one of the greatest live albums ever. I still can't believe Dio is gone & Ozzy still roams the Earth. He really must be the Prince of Darkness....
drew

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 am

drew wrote:Since the reunion with Dio I listen to the Dio-era albums more than Ozzy these past few years. Pick up "Heaven & Hell-Live at Radio City" it's one of the greatest live albums ever. I still can't believe Dio is gone & Ozzy still roams the Earth. He really must be the Prince of Darkness....

I had that briefly before I resold it for $125.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:07 am

drew wrote:Since the reunion with Dio I listen to the Dio-era albums more than Ozzy these past few years. Pick up "Heaven & Hell-Live at Radio City" it's one of the greatest live albums ever. I still can't believe Dio is gone & Ozzy still roams the Earth. He really must be the Prince of Darkness....

the guy who put in my cable used to roadie for pantera and a bunch of bands. anyway, we were talking metal shop and he said dio had his 60th birthday party out here in portland at this bar. the guy was blown away that he didn't drink or do any drugs, and he was reportedly vegan. then again, i guess there is no beating cancer. but, if you look at ozzy these days, he can barely walk or stand. i watched some footage of them in texas and it looked like he was using a teleprompter for the lyrics since he was staring down in the same direction for the whole set. saw dio twice but i will always regret not seeing H&H.
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:46 am

Recently I listened to the Dio Sabbath records. I find that if in my mind I rename the band to something like "Black Dio" then I can get past the fact that it isn't truly Black Sabbath enough to realize they are not bad records at all and have some good songs. They just aren't Black Sabbath records.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:57 am

of course it's black sabbath, it's the exact same band on the first lp except for dio. iommi did change his sound a lot, but he was working with a totally different singer who came from a classically trained background. i love ozzy in his prime and those records are great, but tons of big metal/hard rock acts changed singers late in the game. i just don't get why everyone needs to compare one era to the other and have one be the clear winner.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:28 pm

Been listening to Black Sabbath a lot lately. I love the Dio era stuff. Also, listened to "Born Again" for the first time. Heavy.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:45 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i watched some footage of them in texas and it looked like he was using a teleprompter for the lyrics since he was staring down in the same direction for the whole set.

Those things are incredibly common. Springsteen uses them. It's how he can seemingly pull the most obscure tunes out his hat at a moment's notice. Granted, the band still has to play them, but he lots of help when it comes to the lyrics.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:47 pm

scannest wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i watched some footage of them in texas and it looked like he was using a teleprompter for the lyrics since he was staring down in the same direction for the whole set.

Those things are incredibly common. Springsteen uses them. It's how he can seemingly pull the most obscure tunes out his hat at a moment's notice. Granted, the band still has to play them, but he lots of help when it comes to the lyrics.

yeah, someone said he was using one of the 98 tour, which i believe. at least then he was still running around a little and having fun. now he is just looking straight at the thing.
yourenotevil

Return to daghouse