Reptile House

Reptile House

Postby tango fistula » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:57 am

What I've heard is rockin!!

No one mentions them and they are DC ...so they must be awesome.

Who's got more info?
tango fistula

Re: Reptile House

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:38 am

good ep, boring lp from what i remember. i have the og seven inch, but the only ppl who mention that band are lungfish freaks since the singer was in both.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:45 am

Yeah, the 7'' is great. I haven't heard the LP in a long time, but I remember it sounding quite a bit different from the 7''. There was an obscure discog CD at one point that had everything, but I think it is long gone by now. Dischord reissued the 7'', but I'd like to see the discography CD re-done.
patient_ot

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:32 am

Reptile House were out of Baltimore, Maryland (I believe) which is one reason they are not always thought of as a DC band. London May played drums in Reptile House and is the obvious Dag Nasty connection. The 7" was spunky but the LP was a bit flat. Certainly in need of a cool reissue though.
Chris Shary

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:16 pm

I agree that the 12" (Listen to the Powersoul) needs a reissue pretty badly. I actually like that record, though most seem not to. But yeah, ti's less like the 7" and more a warm-up for Lungfish or at least that's how I've always seen it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:10 pm

The band had quite a few lineup changes in a short period of time, and also included Asa from Lungfish in the end:
http://www.bandtoband.com/band/reptile-house

I remember ads for the "Dim Glimmer" discography CD (on Merkin) but I can't confirm it was ever actually released. Anyone ever seen a copy?
the mean

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:14 pm

A few years ago I tried to track down any concrete proof that it actually existed and found none.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:31 pm

JGJR wrote:I agree that the 12" (Listen to the Powersoul) needs a reissue pretty badly. I actually like that record, though most seem not to. But yeah, ti's less like the 7" and more a warm-up for Lungfish or at least that's how I've always seen it.

You have it backwards. Early Lungfish sounded like Reptile House.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:41 pm

version sound wrote:A few years ago I tried to track down any concrete proof that it actually existed and found none.

A few years back I found one distro (don't remember where) that had this on their sale list, but I don't think they actually had copies, and they didn't respond to emails. I don't think the disk ever happened either.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:40 am

I like the Reptile House lp,you can hear the evolution to Lungfish alright, although they weren't quite there yet. However it's probably the weakest record from the Reptile House/Lungfish discography.
Gary

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:32 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:I agree that the 12" (Listen to the Powersoul) needs a reissue pretty badly. I actually like that record, though most seem not to. But yeah, ti's less like the 7" and more a warm-up for Lungfish or at least that's how I've always seen it.

That's what I said. I don't think there's too much distance between Listen to the Powersoul and Talking Songs for Walking.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:00 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

That's what I said. I don't think there's too much distance between Listen to the Powersoul and Talking Songs for Walking.

No, you said that LTTP sounded like Lungfish. There is a subtle, but important difference.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:24 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

No, you said that LTTP sounded like Lungfish. There is a subtle, but important difference.

I think we're just splitting hairs here. LTTP does sound like Lungfish, but obviously Lungfish didn't yet exist. It just sounds like what Lungfish would do.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:20 am

He said it sounds like a warmup for Lungfish. Since it came first, I don't see how that could be perceived as backwards.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:55 pm

gregpolard wrote:He said it sounds like a warmup for Lungfish. Since it came first, I don't see how that could be perceived as backwards.

They were not preparing to be Lungfish, they were being Reptile House. To write them off as a Lungfish warm up is to negate the fact that they were a band in their own right.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:34 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:He said it sounds like a warmup for Lungfish. Since it came first, I don't see how that could be perceived as backwards.

They were not preparing to be Lungfish, they were being Reptile House. To write them off as a Lungfish warm up is to negate the fact that they were a band in their own right.

I'm not negating anything.
JGJR

Postby Chris Shary » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:07 am

Just checked with London May, Dim Glimmer never came out, but it was advertised. The plan was to then take it to Dischord and do a massive release which also didn't happen. They settled on the 7" reissue, but there is a lot of material that has gone unreleased. Mystery finally solved!
Chris Shary

Postby Gary » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:39 am

Chris Shary wrote:but there is a lot of material that has gone unreleased.

That needs to be sorted.
Gary

Postby Welly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:51 am

Gary wrote:
Chris Shary wrote:but there is a lot of material that has gone unreleased.

That needs to be sorted.

Someone's no doubt working on it as we type! 180gm remastered deluxe packaging on twenty three colours. Words like 'pioneers' will be bandied about. Never heard of fucking Reptile House?!?! YOU ARE MISSING OUT! PRE-ORDER TODAY!!!
Welly

Postby Chris Shary » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:35 am

Too true Welly. I love when people refer to bands as influential, and they never really played or had material available. I loved the documentary on the band DEATH (and think they are stunningly great), but they didn't play or release anything above a single in their day. So to call them influential is a bit silly.They SHOULD have been. Ahh revisionist history is a fun world innit?
Chris Shary

Postby the mean » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Welly wrote:Someone's no doubt working on it as we type! 180gm remastered deluxe packaging on twenty three colours. Words like 'pioneers' will be bandied about. Never heard of fucking Reptile House?!?! YOU ARE MISSING OUT! PRE-ORDER TODAY!!!

Of all the garbage that gets reissued or pulled from the vaults, it seems like this would be a good one for someone to do.
the mean

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:14 pm

I had that album on pink vinyl. I still may have it.

I like it more than most Lungfish.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Mother Michigan
Suffocating cold
Do you see the Michigan in me?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby captain2man » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Reviving this old thread to say that the next episode of End on End is going to cover the Reptile House 7"....which I had never heard before a couple of months ago.

There does seem to be a decent amount of material in the vaults. London May provided us with a never-released song called "Origin of Sadman" which we'll be giving the world premiere to.

Also came across this on Vimeo of them doing a Neil Young song.

https://vimeo.com/9511351
captain2man

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:46 pm

captain2man wrote:Reviving this old thread to say that the next episode of End on End is going to cover the Reptile House 7"....which I had never heard before a couple of months ago.

There does seem to be a decent amount of material in the vaults. London May provided us with a never-released song called "Origin of Sadman" which we'll be giving the world premiere to.

Also came across this on Vimeo of them doing a Neil Young song.

https://vimeo.com/9511351

Danny Ingram has an official Lungfish demo cassette. I’ve spent the last 10 years looking at it whenever we rehearse. Once, I asked him how it was. He said he had never listened to it.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby AssWreckersInc » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:50 pm

London came up to jersey and did drums with this band also https://www.discogs.com/Voice-Of-Doom-F ... se/5192319 pretty good record actually.
AssWreckersInc

Postby B.S. » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:16 am

The title track and Mother Michigan are the songs to check out on the LP.
B.S.

Return to daghouse