Slowdive @ new 9:30 club- my mates say ...

Slowdive @ new 9:30 club- my mates say ...

Postby john stabb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 pm

"Sounded huge - most likely because sound gear in early 90's wasn't what it is today. Are probably much better musicians. Pretty much invented shoe gaze. Hit a certain frequency on last song (along with blinking bright lights) was so painful, I had to leave"

Anyone here see them on this tour :?:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Re: Slowdive @ new 9:30 club- my mates say ...

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:22 am

Everyone I saw on the ol' FB and IG that went in DC and Philly seemed to thorougly enjoy it. I had "Souvlaki" on CD about 10 years ago but I don't remember much about it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:20 am

I saw them last night. Here is what I wrote in an e-mail to some friends who are going to see them in New York tomorrow night.

"They have more than a little in common with stoner metal though obviously that's not what they play. I just mean that on many occasions last night they were HEAVY, slow, lumbering, powerful, almost like a wall of psychedelic sound and eardrum-shattering at times, too, though very quiet at others. I think I described it on FB as like (gentle) giants or pachyderms roaming the earth. I think even T5 will be a cinch for them."

Show of the year so far. The lack of sleep I got was totally worth it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 am

I'll be seeing them soon. Looking forward to it. However, might need to stock up on a better set of earplugs before the show.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:10 pm

patient_ot wrote:I'll be seeing them soon. Looking forward to it. However, might need to stock up on a better set of earplugs before the show.

I use the "Earlove" brand.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:13 pm

JGJR wrote:I saw them last night. Here is what I wrote in an e-mail to some friends who are going to see them in New York tomorrow night.

"They have more than a little in common with stoner metal though obviously that's not what they play. I just mean that on many occasions last night they were HEAVY, slow, lumbering, powerful, almost like a wall of psychedelic sound and eardrum-shattering at times, too, though very quiet at others. I think I described it on FB as like (gentle) giants or pachyderms roaming the earth. I think even T5 will be a cinch for them."

Somewhere right now, the Dum Dum Girls are in tears.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:I saw them last night. Here is what I wrote in an e-mail to some friends who are going to see them in New York tomorrow night.

Somewhere right now, the Dum Dum Girls are in tears.

I love DDG, as everyone here knows, and the live show is enjoyable and has gotten way better over the years, but in no way, shape or form or they anywhere near the caliber of a band like Slowdive in a live setting. They're really a studio/bedroom recording creation at heart. I think even they would probably admit that.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:19 pm

john stabb wrote:"Sounded huge - most likely because sound gear in early 90's wasn't what it is today. Are probably much better musicians. Pretty much invented shoe gaze. Hit a certain frequency on last song (along with blinking bright lights) was so painful, I had to leave"

They sounded huge in the '90s. So did Lush. Much different from the records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:51 am

version sound wrote:
john stabb wrote:"Sounded huge - most likely because sound gear in early 90's wasn't what it is today. Are probably much better musicians. Pretty much invented shoe gaze. Hit a certain frequency on last song (along with blinking bright lights) was so painful, I had to leave"

They sounded huge in the '90s. So did Lush. Much different from the records.

Yep. That's why it surprised me (pleasantly) so much the other night. I regret never getting to see Lush. :cry:
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:21 pm

The show was great when I saw them. If they are coming to your town and you like them, go.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse