Naked Raygun to play Wrigley Field

Naked Raygun to play Wrigley Field

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 am

...along with Urge Overkill, Cheap Trick and Foo Fighters.

Seriously, keep raving on about what a dick Dave Grohl is. Meanwhile he just keeps doing whatever he wants to do, like put together awesome bills like this.

Show is next August. Tickets on sale Monday:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ticketing/ff.jsp
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: Naked Raygun to play Wrigley Field

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 pm

Would love to attend this. I'm always amazed at the amount of Dave Grohl hate, honestly. I feel like with "punks", people can't win. Here's a guy who's been around, done things seemingly on his own terms, and still acknowledges where he came from. AOK in my book.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:28 pm

I have no problem with Dave Grohl as a person, I liked the Sonic Highway doc on HBO about the Chicago music legacy but Foo Fighters are a terrible, terrible band.

This show would be cool to go spend a weekend in Chitown but two of the bands are horrible. Urge Overkill might be one of the worst bands ever.
drew

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:30 pm

gregpolard wrote:Would love to attend this. I'm always amazed at the amount of Dave Grohl hate, honestly. I feel like with "punks", people can't win. Here's a guy who's been around, done things seemingly on his own terms, and still acknowledges where he came from. AOK in my book.

I'm generally not into his music aside from a few early FF songs, but agreed otherwise. As I acknowledged in another thread about this topic, I think Tim is a great writer, but kinda misguided here.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:31 pm

drew wrote:I have no problem with Dave Grohl as a person, I liked the Sonic Highway doc on HBO about the Chicago music legacy but Foo Fighters are a terrible, terrible band.

This show would be cool to go spend a weekend in Chitown but two of the bands are horrible. Urge Overkill might be one of the worst bands ever.

Not a fan of FF or Urge Overkill (latter just from never listening), but yeah I love Cheap Trick and Naked Raygun.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:58 pm

it's funny that I'm more excited about the 3 other bands than the FOO FIGHTERS. Okay, more stuff I wanted to say on that HEART you tube post on JGJR 's FB account that I will say here. I like the FOO FIGHTERS music and I like Grohl, but I'm never blown away with the FOO FIGHTERS albums. I hate to say it, but they are like a singles band with too much filler on their albums. Songs like "Evermore" and "Best Of You" are gold, but I always feel disappointed when listening to an entire album I purchased. By no fault of Grohl or the band, I hate how there isn't much going on in mainstream rock so the media always has to pimp out the FOO FIGHTERS. Grohl is in EVERY fave band's documentary and every time I turn on Mtv, Vh1 or Fuse, theres's the FOO FIGHTERS. It's overkill and again, it wasn't their intention to be that way, but it is. It's actually more overblown than when NIRVANA was around because the lack of bands to focus on in their genre in this era. I don't think GREEN DAY gets the same exposure or hype as the FOO FIGHTERS . same with the BLACK KEYS.

Again, I have the utmost respect for Grohl and the band. they made good music (but boring albums) and I've seen them live and they kick ass, but all this over exposure has killed my appreciation for the band and I wish it didn't.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Urge Overkill are an acquired taste.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby tango fistula » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Urge Overkill sucks.

And I even gave em a chance live...twice.

Fuck them and their stupid medallions
tango fistula

Postby obik » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 pm

tango fistula wrote:Fuck them and their stupid medallions

and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:40 pm

I prefer my Raygun in small shitty clubs in Chicago (or Vegas).
lewdd

Postby MXV » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:32 am

I licensed a Naked Raygun photo for that Foo Fighter show that aired last Sunday. You can see it in the show. They paid me good money for it too.

I was never much of a Foo Fighters fan. I don't dislike them, I'm really just indifferent.

I'd love to shoot this Wrigley Field show but I'm guessing securing passes isn't going to be easy. I'll give it a try though mostly because I want to see/shoot Cheap Trick again and I love Naked Raygun. I think UO is ok but when they played Riot Fest a few years ago I thought they were really boring. When I saw them in the early 90's before and right after they got signed I thought they were a great live band.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 am

WrEtcH wrote:it's funny that I'm more excited about the 3 other bands than the FOO FIGHTERS. Okay, more stuff I wanted to say on that HEART you tube post on JGJR 's FB account that I will say here. I like the FOO FIGHTERS music and I like Grohl, but I'm never blown away with the FOO FIGHTERS albums. I hate to say it, but they are like a singles band with too much filler on their albums. Songs like "Evermore" and "Best Of You" are gold, but I always feel disappointed when listening to an entire album I purchased. By no fault of Grohl or the band, I hate how there isn't much going on in mainstream rock so the media always has to pimp out the FOO FIGHTERS. Grohl is in EVERY fave band's documentary and every time I turn on Mtv, Vh1 or Fuse, theres's the FOO FIGHTERS. It's overkill and again, it wasn't their intention to be that way, but it is. It's actually more overblown than when NIRVANA was around because the lack of bands to focus on in their genre in this era. I don't think GREEN DAY gets the same exposure or hype as the FOO FIGHTERS . same with the BLACK KEYS.

Again, I have the utmost respect for Grohl and the band. they made good music (but boring albums) and I've seen them live and they kick ass, but all this over exposure has killed my appreciation for the band and I wish it didn't.

Pretty much how I feel. They are in need of a decent greatest hits comp.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 am

They have a decent greatest hits comp. It came out in 2009.

Anyone who's interested the presale passcode for this is "HIGHWAYS"
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:59 am

gregpolard wrote:They have a decent greatest hits comp. It came out in 2009.

Anyone who's interested the presale passcode for this is "HIGHWAYS"

This is how little I've paid attention to them (kinda indifferent like mxv though I like a few songs, as I said before). I didn't know that or probably just forgot. I find Grohl's other projects to be WAY more interesting.
JGJR

Postby 77clash » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:47 pm

They do an Angry Samoans cover song.
77clash

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:54 pm

77clash wrote:They do an Angry Samoans cover song.

Yeah I remember watching a live video of them in the mid '90s covering "Lights Out." I totally forgot about that!
JGJR

Postby Bill » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:49 am

It was on Rock Against Bush 2. Remember those?
Bill

Postby lewdd » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:02 am

Bill wrote:It was on Rock Against Bush 2. Remember those?

Wasn't Smalley on there too?
lewdd

Return to daghouse