dave grohl is killing rocknroll - very funny piece!

dave grohl is killing rocknroll - very funny piece!

Postby john stabb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:45 pm

GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Re: dave grohl is killing rocknroll - very funny piece!

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:38 am

Tim posted a sort of apology to Dave Grohl after this ran.

http://brooklynbugle.com/2014/10/21/foo ... ave-grohl/
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:27 am

Seriously, that writer sounds like a total dick. The worst thing you can say about Dave Grohl is his music is lame. He doesn't pretend it's "punk rock" no matter what this guy says.

If interested, read this excellent take down of Mr. Sommer from Gerard Cosloy:

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/his- ... s-the-cure
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:46 am

You might be shocked, but I've never read anything on the Brooklyn Bugle website before ("on the web because paper is expensive"). At first I thought it was sort of a spoof/Onion-type deal, but I honestly stop reading it cause his writing style gave me a bit of a headache and it seemed like he was really trying to hard to be combative (reminded me of something Nation Of Ulysses would have written). Foo Fighters made some mildy-amusing videos (although the one whose main joke was "gay steward" and "dave in a fat suit" was weak and the sound was very cheese-pop-rock) and made some pop-rock songs that a lot of people like and I guess get points for staying around (with band members changes, rehab etc). All these "my ears work better than yours" posts are pretty boring, but they seem to rile people up.
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 am

scannest wrote:Seriously, that writer sounds like a total dick. The worst thing you can say about Dave Grohl is his music is lame. He doesn't pretend it's "punk rock" no matter what this guy says.

If interested, read this excellent take down of Mr. Sommer from Gerard Cosloy:

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/his- ... s-the-cure

Tim is one of our columnists and though I don't know him, we have a lot of mutual friends, so I tend to be biased towards him. Plus, I have heard some not flattering things about Gerard over the years. I don't know him, either, but have heard him say really head-scratching things in documentaries and what not. With that said, I frequently disagree with him (Tim) and this is one of those instances. Gerard is 90% correct here.

This was uncalled for, though. "I have been asked many times how someone (uh, me) whose past musical history was so entwined with extreme forms of the artful and/or noisy could have ended up working with something so intrinsically linked with the mainstream,” because in case you’ve not been keeping track, Sommer’s musical history also includes playing in 2015 Rock & Roll Hall Fame inductees Even Worse, and a celebrated stint in NYC’s mind-blowingly pretentious Hugo Largo, a group whose old records currently crowd bargain bins not populated by the recordings of AmRep hopefuls Surgery."
Last edited by JGJR on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:15 am

Grohl? Easy target.

Reminds me of people who bang on about Green Day and Rancid being sell outs. ;)

Listen to it or don't.
Welly

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 am

Welly wrote:Grohl? Easy target.

Reminds me of people who bang on about Green Day and Rancid being sell outs. ;)

Listen to it or don't.

I've been listening to the new Rancid CD for a few weeks and really like it. It is catchy.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:22 pm

I know I said it before, but I'll say it again. I don't get the hate. Like Welly said, either listen, or don't.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:32 pm

I don't blame Dave Grohl for killing RnR. Critics like this idiot and pretentious websites have done a much better job at hurting music with their awful taste.....and anyway, if you're gonna blame a musician for killing RnR, it's Bono......
drew

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:33 pm

drew wrote:I don't blame Dave Grohl for killing RnR. Critics like this idiot and pretentious websites have done a much better job at hurting music with their awful taste.....and anyway, if you're gonna blame a musician for killing RnR, it's Bono......

Like I said before, I frequently disagree with his columns, but Tim is far from an idiot. Just sayin'.
JGJR

Postby drew » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:38 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:I don't blame Dave Grohl for killing RnR. Critics like this idiot and pretentious websites have done a much better job at hurting music with their awful taste.....and anyway, if you're gonna blame a musician for killing RnR, it's Bono......

Like I said before, I frequently disagree with his columns, but Tim is far from an idiot. Just sayin'.

I'm sure most ppl I don't like are probably fine folks(except Bono) but I go by what I read.
drew

Postby Welly » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:44 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I've never read anything on the Brooklyn Bugle website before ("on the web because paper is expensive").

'On the web because otherwise no-one would fuckin' read it'.
Welly

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

All I need to know about Brooklyn can be summed up by the below quote: (fully article below which is pretty amusing)

Listen, young white people of a certain very narrow part of the incomprehensibly vast and various borough of Brooklyn! Wearing a flannel shirt does not make you a lumberjack. Wearing a bushy beard does not make you Herman Melville. Mixing water and vinegar and maple syrup and ginger and drinking it out of a cutesy anachronistic glass vessel does not make you a rustic 18th-century Vermont farmer. Playing dress-up is fun; people like to do it, and that's mostly OK. But, the cultures of other places and times and ways of life do not reside in their ginger drinks and shirts and facial hair; when you port these things to Brooklyn, you are not revitalizing a culture—you are just cosplaying.

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/my-friends ... ertBurneko
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:32 pm

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I'm sure most ppl I don't like are probably fine folks(except Bono) but I go by what I read.

You should read his Big Takeover columns, particularly the one about the Sex Pistols and their offshoots and a more recent one about The Small Faces and The Damned being two of rock's most underrated bands. When he isn't deliberately trying to be provocative for no good reason (like the Grohl columns; it's unfortunately a tendency he has too often), he's a thrilling writer. Plus, he was an amazing A&R person as far as being able to predict who will be successful, etc. That's a skill I sure as heck don't have. Trust me on this.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:36 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:All I need to know about Brooklyn can be summed up by the below quote: (fully article below which is pretty amusing)

Listen, young white people of a certain very narrow part of the incomprehensibly vast and various borough of Brooklyn! Wearing a flannel shirt does not make you a lumberjack. Wearing a bushy beard does not make you Herman Melville. Mixing water and vinegar and maple syrup and ginger and drinking it out of a cutesy anachronistic glass vessel does not make you a rustic 18th-century Vermont farmer. Playing dress-up is fun; people like to do it, and that's mostly OK. But, the cultures of other places and times and ways of life do not reside in their ginger drinks and shirts and facial hair; when you port these things to Brooklyn, you are not revitalizing a culture—you are just cosplaying.

http://foodspin.deadspin.com/my-friends ... ertBurneko

I don't like articles like these because it pretends that Brooklyn is young college grads and that's it. Sure, it's not part of Brooklyn as a "brand" but the last time I checked, Flatbush, East New York, Canarsie, et al. are still part of Brooklyn.
JGJR

Postby clash77 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Garfield killed RnR!!..Thats the dick that should have bullseye on his back.Well, maybe next to that pitiful broadway cunt..
clash77

Postby john stabb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:12 pm

C'mon, there's folks on a Facebook page that are taking this shit seriously but didn't expect any dags to, as well :?: :roll: It's a joke and Coslpy's scathing but funny writings back when he put out his brutal ranting fanzine "Conflict" was an in-joke among the musicians he tore apart. They were part of his label, Matador or friends like Sonic Youth. I thought it was hilarious then & still do. Tim is a really great writer in Big Takeover columns if you ever get the chance to read them. I remember there was a scathing letter from a reader about me getting bald, snorting coke and selling out to a major label in Conflict that puzzled me. Then, at the end of it, was Gerard explaining that it was a hate letter towards Tommy Keene he found but just changed the name to "John Stabb". That was pretty clever, I thought. :lol:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby clash77 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:28 pm

john stabb wrote:C'mon, there's folks on a Facebook page that are taking this shit seriously but didn't expect any dags to, as well :?: :roll: It's a joke and Coslpy's scathing but funny writings back when he put out his brutal ranting fanzine "Conflict" was an in-joke among the musicians he tore apart. They were part of his label, Matador or friends like Sonic Youth. I thought it was hilarious then & still do. Tim is a really great writer in Big Takeover columns if you ever get the chance to read them. I remember there was a scathing letter from a reader about me getting bald, snorting coke and selling out to a major label in Conflict that puzzled me. Then, at the end of it, was Gerard explaining that it was a hate letter towards Tommy Keene he found but just changed the name to "John Stabb". That was pretty clever, I thought. :lol:

John..You like to write..nothing wrong with that..Can i get an honest opinion of Garfield from your point of view?..not asking for much..My hero with S.O.A. to Dez fill in..He thinks he matters, I think he's an asshole..If you dont wanna answer, I got it..He's still a fool..I hate that dick!..Ride the Coatails of others and and all of a sudden he's a "Punk Icon"...No..Not with me.
clash77

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:21 am

I know you didn't ask my opinion clash but I figured I'd weigh in and say that while I don't personally know Rollins, I think he seems like an ok guy. Maybe comes across a bit "dickish" at times but he seems genuine.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby MJH » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:20 am

Welly wrote:Grohl? Easy target.

HEYOOO!!!!
MJH

Postby 77clash » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:46 pm

gregpolard wrote:I know you didn't ask my opinion clash but I figured I'd weigh in and say that while I don't personally know Rollins, I think he seems like an ok guy. Maybe comes across a bit "dickish" at times but he seems genuine.

A genuine dick?
77clash

Return to daghouse