Reunion- Soulside vs Uniform Choice

Reunion- Soulside vs Uniform Choice

Postby clash77 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:06 pm

The choice is clear to me..UC in a heartbeat..Good is always better than bad..
clash77

Re: Reunion- Soulside vs Uniform Choice

Postby obik » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Shit sandwich vs. shitburger.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby Hal » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:40 pm

I'll take "Bands Who's Lead Singer Went Off the Deep End" for $1,000 Alex.
Hal

Postby clash77 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Ahh Cunts!!..wake up..Its 25 years later and you cant admit DC was a joke at that time....hahahahaha..ok.Soulside, Swiz, and Fugazi are proof of that..We had a great time in NY back then!!!..Without that whiny emo dog shit!!
clash77

Postby obik » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 pm

I knew there was a reason I kept you blocked for months.

I knew you couldn't carry on a civil conversation or engage in rational debate, but I had forgotten that you can't even hold up one end of a vitriolic argument without becoming totally incoherent and offensive.

And coming from me, that's saying something.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby clash77 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:39 am

obik wrote:I knew there was a reason I kept you blocked for months.

I knew you couldn't carry on a civil conversation or engage in rational debate, but I had forgotten that you can't even hold up one end of a vitriolic argument without becoming totally incoherent and offensive.

And coming from me, that's saying something.

Obik, am I offensive because we disagree??
clash77

Postby gunter1976 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:48 am

clash77 wrote:Its 25 years later and you cant admit DC was a joke at that time....hahahahaha..ok.Soulside, Swiz, and Fugazi are proof of that..

Really :| Then let us just agree to disagree. Again.
gunter1976

Postby obik » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:25 am

clash77 wrote:Obik, am I offensive because we disagree??

No, you're offensive because your first response to an opinion you don't agree with is to call us cunts.

You're incoherent because the actual meat of your response doesn't reflect anything that anyone else actually said or implied.

In fact, your second response shows a mind-blowing lack of reading comprehension and self-awareness.

And that is why I've blocked you again.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:25 am

obik has actually been quite pleasant lately. I like it!

Anyway, I like Soulside but that first Uniform Choice LP is one of my favorite hardcore records. As a straight edge guy, the choice is clear.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby tango fistula » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:00 am

Saw em both....went outside halfway thru their sets and watched the carp jump around
in the Anthrax's semi-toxic pond in the back lot.

Saw Soulside pretty much every four months like clockwork between 1988-90 so I'd
pick them if I had to
tango fistula

Postby Welly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 am

gregpolard wrote:the choice is clear.

You think you've got a choice?
Welly

Postby matt » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 am

Welly wrote:

Well(y), there is no choice.
matt
Site Admin

Postby Welly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:19 am

matt wrote:
Welly wrote:

Well(y), there is no choice.

Open your eyes and see the choice!
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:14 am

ha!

That first UC record is classic, greeting card rip off lyrics and all.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:38 am

Re: Uniform Choice

jaybird wrote:
:lol: I always liked how they went from this:

to this:

In like, two years.

Re: soulside....

I guess I'd take them over U.C. if I had a gun to my head, but was anyone outside of D.C. really clamoring for a reunion of this band? Weird.
jaybird

Postby The Snake » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:44 am

For me, the choice is also obvious, Uniform Choice.

Demos and Screaming For Change are top notch hardcore.
Hell, I even like Staring Into The Sun.

But that final line up is strange, I didnt know that line up existed until few years ago.
The Snake

Postby jaybird » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 am

I also always liked how Walsby always goofed on them in his comic strips as "Uniform Thought".
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:59 am

gregpolard wrote:obik has actually been quite pleasant lately. I like it!

Anyway, I like Soulside but that first Uniform Choice LP is one of my favorite hardcore records. As a straight edge guy, the choice is clear.

I love UC's first album and would definitely see them if they just play that era, but Soulside (particularly Trigger, "Bass" and Hot Bodi-Gram) is a big favorite of mine and they've held up way better IMO. UC is definitely a time/place thing for me and makes me feel like I'm 18 again and SFC is a ripper and all, but to this middle-aged dude, it feels very much like a record made by kids.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:03 am

gregpolard wrote:ha!

The Grudge 7" has a really funny parody of "Silence." I'd post the video here if it was up on YouTube.
JGJR

Postby drew » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 pm

I really liked UC back in da day but I still listen to Soul Side and I'm super excited for the reunion show.
A lot of ppl don't like PAt Dubar but I met him a couple of times during the Mind Funk era and he was very cool to me & my friends.
drew

Postby Janelle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Uniform Choice's bad poetry > soulside :D
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby clash77 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:53 pm

What do you think of the Unity ep Greg??
clash77

Postby clash77 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:05 pm

jaybird wrote:Re: Uniform Choice

jaybird wrote:
:lol: I always liked how they went from this:

to this:

In like, two years.
Ha Jay!! Thats brutal.ha..I'd still rather stick a clothes pin on the head of my cock for an hour than sit through that Soulside dribble..

Re: soulside....

I guess I'd take them over U.C. if I had a gun to my head, but was anyone outside of D.C. really clamoring for a reunion of this band? Weird.
clash77

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 am

clash77 wrote:

Hey I am not Greg, but I will answer your question.

Unity EP is one of the best hardcore punk records, at least in my book. I am even more into Unity than UC.
This EP is mostly overlooked by majority of people in hardcore punk, but the EP should be mentioned with all the classics as Minor Threat, 7 Seconds and alike.

Speaking of the Unity, I have a Unity bootleg 7 inch called No More (on Lost and Found, ehm) which contains 5 songs from rehearsal. Two songs appeared later on the EP, two are unreleased and one is a cool version of Stepping Stone (similar to Minor Threat version). It says on EP that it is recorded in 1982. but I think that is wrong, it is probably some later year. 1983. is more possible because Dubar was still not in Unity in 1982. Anyway, this record is mind blowing, fast hardcore punk with great vocals, you know the deal.
I also have recording of early Unity rehearsal which could be 1982. with bunch of unreleased songs that are also cool fast and angry hardcore punk.
The Snake

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:43 am

clash77 wrote:

Ready to have your mind blown? (or possibly to say "well, no SHIT you like it more") but...I like Unity "Blood Days" more than the first EP! (runs and hides)
gregpolard

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:50 am

gregpolard wrote:
clash77 wrote:

Ready to have your mind blown? (or possibly to say "well, no SHIT you like it more") but...I like Unity "Blood Days" more than the first EP! (runs and hides)

I heard about those who like more Blood Days than You are One. 8-)
Blood Days is cool too.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:15 am

The Snake wrote:
clash77 wrote:

Hey I am not Greg, but I will answer your question.

Unity EP is one of the best hardcore punk records, at least in my book. I am even more into Unity than UC.
This EP is mostly overlooked by majority of people in hardcore punk, but the EP should be mentioned with all the classics as Minor Threat, 7 Seconds and alike.

Speaking of the Unity, I have a Unity bootleg 7 inch called No More (on Lost and Found, ehm) which contains 5 songs from rehearsal. Two songs appeared later on the EP, two are unreleased and one is a cool version of Stepping Stone (similar to Minor Threat version). It says on EP that it is recorded in 1982. but I think that is wrong, it is probably some later year. 1983. is more possible because Dubar was still not in Unity in 1982. Anyway, this record is mind blowing, fast hardcore punk with great vocals, you know the deal.
I also have recording of early Unity rehearsal which could be 1982. with bunch of unreleased songs that are also cool fast and angry hardcore punk.

I had no idea that Unity go back that far. I guess they really were the first SoCal sXe band then. I associate them more with '85/'86, though I'd have to look up when that EP came out. I was never a big fan, though I love that first UC album.
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:56 pm

Well, the EP is from 1985. but that was kind of reformed Unity and Uniform Choice was already playing for a year or something, so I think that this Unity EP was more like: "lets record this before we break up and let it be our first record label release (Wishing Well))"...
But Unity were probably the first sXe So-Cal hc/punk band, they begin in 82 with different bass player and vocalist then the line up on EP. Those demos/rehearsals I´ve got are really good Minor Threat influenced hc/punk.
The Snake

Postby dave123 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 pm

UC by a mile. Soulside was a great band but nowhere near as special and important as UC.

I look at UC and Unity as interrelated bands. Therefore, no need to differentiate. I love it all (even Blood Days and Staring).

There is a cool interview/story/history of UC floating around about the pre-Dubar UC (which I can't find at the moment). The early band was a very different beast until Dubar and joined the band. Not at all the straight edge powerhouse they became.

Greg - no need to run and hide. I listen to Blood Days more often than the EP. I also listen to Staring more often than Screaming. I know blasphemy right... I just played the Unity 7" and Screaming for Change so many times, I just never feel the need to spin them that much anymore.

For those that are curious, there are a couple of UC post Dubar demos around. They continued on in the more metal style for a while after he left. That would make 3 distinct versions of UC.
dave123

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:56 pm

dave123, I agree with you that Unity and Uniform Choice were two different bands, even though both Pats were in both bands.

Some interesting stuff about both UnIty and UC were said on Double Cross XX website when they interviewed Pat Longrie and Joe Foster, try and find it on DC.

I did interview with Joe Foster for the last issue of my zine and he said that there was a band between Unity and UC called - Wind Of Promise and that some songs later ended as UC songs (one even as a No For An Answer song), so he was basically saying that he was author of some music from UC songs. He also said some more interesting stuff related to Unity days.

I´ve heard those post Dubar demos on myspace some years ago and it was total crap.
The Snake

Postby the mean » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:05 pm

To continue the UC story, the post-Dubar UC (Longerie the only remaining member) did two demos, then changed their name to Sol Ignition. There is at least one song (I think) on not-Dubar's website here:
http://jimviviano.com/Songs.htm
(that player sucks, so I can't really tell what's what.)

I think there is a whole nother demo of Sol Ignition songs, but it's a ghost online.
the mean

Postby dave123 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 pm

The Snake wrote:dave123, I agree with you that Unity and Uniform Choice were two different bands, even though both Pats were in both bands.

Some interesting stuff about both UnIty and UC were said on Double Cross XX website when they interviewed Pat Longrie and Joe Foster, try and find it on DC.

I did interview with Joe Foster for the last issue of my zine and he said that there was a band between Unity and UC called - Wind Of Promise and that some songs later ended as UC songs (one even as a No For An Answer song), so he was basically saying that he was author of some music from UC songs. He also said some more interesting stuff related to Unity days.

I´ve heard those post Dubar demos on myspace some years ago and it was total crap.

Hello Mr. Snake. You keep mentioning your magazine. How would one get a copy? Sounds cool.
dave123

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 pm

I had the first UC LP and I always thought it was just a big Minor Threat rip off. The best thing about UC was being able to scream "GIVE ME A QUARTER" then "Get it? I'm screaming for change". Oh boy, we had fun.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:10 pm

dave123 wrote:
The Snake wrote:dave123, I agree with you that Unity and Uniform Choice were two different bands, even though both Pats were in both bands.

Hello Mr. Snake. You keep mentioning your magazine. How would one get a copy? Sounds cool.

Just sent you message in inbox.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:55 am

The Snake wrote:Well, the EP is from 1985. but that was kind of reformed Unity and Uniform Choice was already playing for a year or something, so I think that this Unity EP was more like: "lets record this before we break up and let it be our first record label release (Wishing Well))"...
But Unity were probably the first sXe So-Cal hc/punk band, they begin in 82 with different bass player and vocalist then the line up on EP. Those demos/rehearsals I´ve got are really good Minor Threat influenced hc/punk.

I listened to the 7" the other day on YouTube. It's fine and done well for what it is, but not for me. It sounds both like UC demos (which I never thought were anywhere near as good as their 1st Lp) and the West Coast version of YoT, Bold and all of that other kind of stuff. I suspect I'd like the '82 demos way more. I've never heard Blood Days.
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:09 am

JGJR wrote:
The Snake wrote:Well, the EP is from 1985. but that was kind of reformed Unity and Uniform Choice was already playing for a year or something, so I think that this Unity EP was more like: "lets record this before we break up and let it be our first record label release (Wishing Well))"...

I listened to the 7" the other day on YouTube. It's fine and done well for what it is, but not for me. It sounds both like UC demos (which I never thought were anywhere near as good as their 1st Lp) and the West Coast version of YoT, Bold and all of that other kind of stuff. I suspect I'd like the '82 demos way more. I've never heard Blood Days.

Even though EP is recorded in 1985. the songs are probably older, so that was way more before YOT and other east coast youth crew bands. I think that Unity EP is much better than UC demos and equally good as UC first LP. Blood Days has same songs from EP with redone vocals and few more songs that are more melodic. Check it out. 82 demos are more pissed off fast hc/punk.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:36 am

The Snake wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Even though EP is recorded in 1985. the songs are probably older, so that was way more before YOT and other east coast youth crew bands. I think that Unity EP is much better than UC demos and equally good as UC first LP. Blood Days has same songs from EP with redone vocals and few more songs that are more melodic. Check it out. 82 demos are more pissed off fast hc/punk.

Screaming for Change is, to my ears at least, a way better record than the Unity EP because it combines the pissed off fast HC/punk of the '82 era with the melodicism of a later band like Gorilla Biscuits. I have heard it suggested that Screaming for Change is the bridge between, say, Minor Threat and GB. I can buy that. I should have also noted that I had heard the Unity EP before. I had it on tape in college, but it never made much of an impression on me.
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:38 pm

JGJR - Don´t get me wrong, Screaming For Change is in my opinion one of the best hardcore records, it is just that I have some kind of soft spot for Unity EP because it is one of my favorite hardcore EPs. Screaming For Change is perfect mix of Minor Threat sound and that OC hardcore sound from the 80´s and that is what makes it perfect record and to my opinion much better than some later youth crew east coast hardcore records. But I wouldn´t compare it to GB, they always sounded to me more goofy (earlier period) or more melodic (later period).
The Snake

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:09 am

JGJR wrote:Screaming for Change is, to my ears at least, a way better record than the Unity EP

Don't you think it's high time you sorted those ears out?
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:29 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:Screaming for Change is, to my ears at least, a way better record than the Unity EP

Don't you think it's high time you sorted those ears out?

Touche, mate. If you like tuneless thrash more than stuff that actually has memorable songs and undercurrents of melody, be my guest.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:31 am

The Snake wrote:J Screaming For Change is perfect mix of Minor Threat sound and that OC hardcore sound from the 80´s and that is what makes it perfect record and to my opinion much better than some later youth crew east coast hardcore records. But I wouldn´t compare it to GB, they always sounded to me more goofy (earlier period) or more melodic (later period).

You nailed it in the first sentence above. The early '80s OC thing was definitely in the SFC mix for sure and I sort of made that point in my last post in this thread. I compared them to later GB because of the melodic content. But let's be honest. UC were pretty goofy occasionally, though without trying to be (unlike GB, who I think were actively trying for it on occasion).
JGJR

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:35 am

JGJR wrote:Touche, mate. If you like tuneless thrash more than stuff that actually has memorable songs and undercurrents of melody, be my guest.

I like both.

Fuckin' nuts huh?
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:39 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:Touche, mate. If you like tuneless thrash more than stuff that actually has memorable songs and undercurrents of melody, be my guest.

I like both.

Fuckin' nuts huh?

Me too (though I like UC more in this case). Craziness indeed. :D
JGJR

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:43 am

JGJR wrote:Me too (though I like UC more in this case). Craziness indeed. :D

The Unity EP is quality though because the energy is off the charts. It's different to the UC record. And besides...

JGJR wrote:tuneless thrash

...you wrote this like it was a bad thing.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:47 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:Me too (though I like UC more in this case). Craziness indeed. :D

The Unity EP is quality though because the energy is off the charts. It's different to the UC record. And besides...

JGJR wrote:tuneless thrash

...you wrote this like it was a bad thing.

I was just trying to give you a hard time but yeah sometimes it is unless like you said, it has an amazing amount of energy or something else really special about it. Many folks seem to feel this way about the Unity 7", but I do not. That is all.
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:53 am

Unity EP is not tuneless thrash, it is also kind of melodic (just listen song Love).
Even the fastest song on EP, You Are One is melodic.
The Snake

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:55 am

The Snake wrote:Unity EP is not tuneless thrash, it is also kind of melodic (just listen song Love).

Ah, he's not interested. Too much fringegaze to get through.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 am

Welly wrote:
The Snake wrote:Unity EP is not tuneless thrash, it is also kind of melodic (just listen song Love).

Ah, he's not interested. Too much fringegaze to get through.

I was interested enough to give it a listen last week for the first time in years.

I'm working my way through the Terrace Chant punk compilations Volumes 1-7. Fringegaze isn't even a genre, you wanker. :D
JGJR

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:40 am

JGJR wrote:Fringegaze isn't even a genre, you wanker. :D

Made you check though.

As for the 'wanker' and 'mate'. Stop trying to talk Britun ya gobshite.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:43 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:Fringegaze isn't even a genre, you wanker. :D

Made you check though.

As for the 'wanker' and 'mate'. Stop trying to talk Britun ya gobshite.

CHEERS
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse