Husker Du Reissue

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby wALLton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
wALLton wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:lol @ buying a CD in 2017.


LOL all you want, with our current Pound/US dollar exchange rate and the cost of international shipping, there's no way I was gonna go for the heavy vinyl+book set. I was just glad they didn't force me into some extortionate courier-only shipping option like some places do. :)


Ah, I was just having a laugh!
I know you Yurp people get rogered for postage as I once lived in several of the unwashed, dentally challenged countries that make up Yurp and the local natives would try to get me to buy things for them and sent to me.

I do think it's odd that they don't have a download option, perhaps that will come about if they sell out? There just seems to be a section of people that don't see the need to physically own something anymore or those that want it in such loss-less formats that vinyl and CD won't do. Personally, I just want to play the songs as I drive my BMW to Olive Garden.


Oh I know, I didn't take it personally to the point where I'm gonna threaten to leave, this place needs all the members it can get! At a guess I'd say there probably will be a download option, but it can't go active until at least the shipping date so nothing to buy yet.
wALLton
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby Neal » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:58 am

so do you think those "extra circus" songs will end up in the 2nd box set too? i'm still a cd guy and it's a little annoying to just have those tracks as a 7". i have crappy mp3s of the metal circus version with those songs probably and was looking forward to having good digital versions of them finally.
Neal
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 am

Neal wrote:so do you think those "extra circus" songs will end up in the 2nd box set too? i'm still a cd guy and it's a little annoying to just have those tracks as a 7". i have crappy mp3s of the metal circus version with those songs probably and was looking forward to having good digital versions of them finally.


No clue. Reading that NPR article it was clear to see that SST/Ginn were/are being a giant dong-bag about everything but since MC was on Reflex also, I guess that is how they can release it at all? Last Speed II seemed like a huge "fuk you" to them and I'm looking forward to listening to those tracks when I get home (Hi Sam, I'm getting paid to post on the internet at work!). I also didn't know that there was, in the works, an effort to redo all the Black Flag stuff? I say "was".
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby Neal » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am

maybe sst bands will follow the bl'ast model: yeah, we recorded this totally different session during that album with uh, slightly more snare, sooo we're gonna release that.
Neal
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 am

UPDATE - Colored vinyl (with and without the bonus 7") is sold out.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby sonofa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:06 pm

User avatar
sonofa
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:45 am



Discs 2 and 3 are up there as well (disc 2 on now).

I pre-ordered the CD plus book plus 7" version as I couldn't justify the cost for the vinyl version. I'm hoping for an EFA release on Lp just by itself at some point, though.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Husker Du-over.
FormerLurker
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby wALLton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:54 am

FormerLurker wrote:Husker Du-over.


Not so funny the second time.
wALLton
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 am

:(
FormerLurker
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:13 am

Poor Randie.
User avatar
jaybird
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby SamDBL » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:51 am

This band was good. But I have heard each and every song by them at least 1500 times, each. I have also grown accustomed to them having horrible production as part of the husker du listening experience. I will not be buying this product.
SamDBL
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:15 pm

SamDBL wrote:This band was good. But I have heard each and every song by them at least 1500 times, each. I have also grown accustomed to them having horrible production as part of the husker du listening experience. I will not be buying this product.


Stream it first if you do that sort of thing. There's a version of Everything Falls Apart and the "In a Free Land" 7" (both part of this set) that are already on various streaming services or if you don't, it's up at NPR. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it sounds.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:28 pm

NPR was streaming this stuff the other day. I listened to a few tracks.... resounding meh. They've always been one on my top five bands of all time, but I've also always been of the opinion that really early on, they were a pretty average punk band, that couldn't seem to figure out if they wanted to be some arty, Joy Division type-thing or straight-up thrash. I don't think they truly figured out who and what they were about until like half-way though Metal Circus, at which point they became the amazing band we all know and love, and that seemed to only get better which each new record. And yeah, this stuff still sounds like shit to my ears - thin, tinny guitars, cardboard-y drums, etc. It was recorded by a bunch of kids, who barely knew how to play or what they were doing at that point - band, & engineer both. Only so much you can do to polish a bunch of nearly-40-year old turds.
User avatar
jaybird
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Well, now I feel kinda dumb for buying it.
FormerLurker
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:16 pm

jaybird wrote:Poor Randie.
User avatar
jaybird
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby SamDBL » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:07 pm

jaybird wrote:NPR was streaming this stuff the other day. I listened to a few tracks.... resounding meh. They've always been one on my top five bands of all time, but I've also always been of the opinion that really early on, they were a pretty average punk band, that couldn't seem to figure out if they wanted to be some arty, Joy Division type-thing or straight-up thrash. I don't think they truly figured out who and what they were about until like half-way though Metal Circus, at which point they became the amazing band we all know and love, and that seemed to only get better which each new record. And yeah, this stuff still sounds like shit to my ears - thin, tinny guitars, cardboard-y drums, etc. It was recorded by a bunch of kids, who barely knew how to play or what they were doing at that point - band, & engineer both. Only so much you can do to polish a bunch of nearly-40-year old turds.


Yeah!
SamDBL
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:43 pm

jaybird wrote:
jaybird wrote:Poor Randie.


That doesn't work over here.
FormerLurker
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm sorry, Randie.
User avatar
jaybird
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Very fortunate a friend of mine managed to snag me the colored vinyl/book/7" one.

Can't wait to dig in.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 am

As much as I love everything from Metal Circus on I have never paid much attention to what came before. Everything I read about Land Speed Record made it sound like...um, not my thing. The early singles were impossible to find, Everything Falls Apart just didn't enter my radar. So I'm excited to hear this for the first time, essentially. I may decide it doesn't come anywhere near the band they became, but that's okay.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 am

EFA is awesome.

Anyhoo, I bought this because I'm a completist, plain and simple.
FormerLurker
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am

scannest wrote:As much as I love everything from Metal Circus on I have never paid much attention to what came before. Everything I read about Land Speed Record made it sound like...um, not my thing. The early singles were impossible to find, Everything Falls Apart just didn't enter my radar. So I'm excited to hear this for the first time, essentially. I may decide it doesn't come anywhere near the band they became, but that's okay.


It doesn't and I can't imagine that I'll listen to more than EFA and the singles all that much (both of which have moments of absolute brilliance that would foreshadow the band they later became), but it'll still be cool to have. But yeah, I've been a fan since the early '90s but didn't come across EFA until I found the '93 Rykodisc CD reissue at Amoeba in LA about 11 years ago and didn't hear the first few singles until Numero put out an expanded version of one of them for RSD a few years back.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:As much as I love everything from Metal Circus on I have never paid much attention to what came before. Everything I read about Land Speed Record made it sound like...um, not my thing. The early singles were impossible to find, Everything Falls Apart just didn't enter my radar. So I'm excited to hear this for the first time, essentially. I may decide it doesn't come anywhere near the band they became, but that's okay.


It doesn't and I can't imagine that I'll listen to more than EFA and the singles all that much (both of which have moments of absolute brilliance that would foreshadow the band they later became), but it'll still be cool to have. But yeah, I've been a fan since the early '90s but didn't come across EFA until I found the '93 Rykodisc CD reissue at Amoeba in LA about 11 years ago and didn't hear the first few singles until Numero put out an expanded version of one of them for RSD a few years back.


I'm amazed you don't remember the exact date of purchase of that cd. You're slipping.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:18 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:As much as I love everything from Metal Circus on I have never paid much attention to what came before. Everything I read about Land Speed Record made it sound like...um, not my thing. The early singles were impossible to find, Everything Falls Apart just didn't enter my radar. So I'm excited to hear this for the first time, essentially. I may decide it doesn't come anywhere near the band they became, but that's okay.


It doesn't and I can't imagine that I'll listen to more than EFA and the singles all that much (both of which have moments of absolute brilliance that would foreshadow the band they later became), but it'll still be cool to have. But yeah, I've been a fan since the early '90s but didn't come across EFA until I found the '93 Rykodisc CD reissue at Amoeba in LA about 11 years ago and didn't hear the first few singles until Numero put out an expanded version of one of them for RSD a few years back.


I'm amazed you don't remember the exact date of purchase of that cd. You're slipping.


I remember when I was in LA; March 2006. Seriously, though, that made me :lol: :lol: :lol:
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:55 am

Got a confirmation that my LP's were being shipped. I listened to some of the songs on NPR and like others suggested, some of it was very much a band banging out tunes with no direction or quality control. As I'm such a huge fan of the band and their transformation/journey, I enjoyed hearing the songs, but totally understand why everyone else might not. From what I could tell from the view online photos, the box/package, artwork and crafting of the release was something they spent time on as well, so looking forward to enjoying it sonically as well as visually and cerebrally.
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:53 am

If anyone was interested in just the digital downloads, there is a Bandcamp page set up for both the box set and the 'Extra Circus' tracks:

https://huskerdu.bandcamp.com/
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Just got an email that the package should be outside my house, sweltering in 83 degree weather!
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:35 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Just got an email that the package should be outside my house, sweltering in 83 degree weather!


My tracking info hasn't even been updated, so I have no idea where mine is. Oh well. I don't even have a working CD player at the moment (mine's in the shop). I should've just ordered one of the vinyl versions. Oh well.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby matt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:26 pm

I got mine Saturday, but I haven't listened to it yet. It's a beautiful package, though.
User avatar
matt
Site Admin
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Whelp, before I even opened the box I was stoked as the label had faux Husker Du packaging tape with their label name on the box. Sweet!

Image

Then, the box/LP/book! I got the colored vinvyl, so the record is on Grey wax and the 7" on blue (as you can see). The box is something else, I skimmed through the history of the band part that has blown up/grainy photos (not sure if that was a graphic design choice or what) but the really awesome part is the original flyers, a tour ledger, original layouts for records etc. They also have recaps for each song, like where it was recorded, anything interesting about the recording/space/show/band performance. If you are geek, then you'd really enjoy it.

Image

Overall it looks stunning and like a labor of love. Sad that Grant didn't get to see it's full release.

While I'm way more of a New Day Rising/Zen Arcade type of Du, look forward to listening to this reading along with the book etc.
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Yeah, it's the most gorgeous/thoughtful packaging I have ever seen. The music is meh. Too formative/primitive to be enjoyable. Still glad I laid out $50 for it. The book alone is worth it.
FormerLurker
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:36 am

The layout and graphic design was done by Henry Owings of Chunklet fame. I bought the CDs w/ the Extra Circus 7". I think it looks as terrific as an all b&w box set can look. As an old man I am relieved that the bulk of the text is black on a white background (their Ork Records box had white and gold text on a black background and it is really difficult to read).
One problem for us CD'ers - the label hasn't loaded the meta-data yet so the CD comes up 'blank' when you try to import with iTunes. This has happened to me with Numero in the past when I've pre-ordered something. I'm sure it will be loaded before the official release date, but it means I either wait or listen without any track details.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 am

Bummed mine hasn't shipped yet. Listened to the entire box MP3's yesterday at work (was my second time) and I'm now doing it a third time, today.

Some realizations I've had especially with listening to Everything Falls Apart and Extra Circus is that they were actually a really decent hardcore band.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:29 am

UPDATE - for the 3 of us who still purchase CD's, the meta-data has been uploaded in the CDDB!
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:13 pm

Scannest-I bought the CD version with the 7" -so thanks :!:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
User avatar
earthdog70
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:59 am
Location: Beyond The Wildwood

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 pm

Anyone else have any thoughts on the actual music?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FormerLurker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:43 am

gregpolard wrote:Anyone else have any thoughts on the actual music?


I'll probably never listen to it again.
FormerLurker
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:00 am

Initial thoughts:

- I'm surprised Bob was okay with releasing some of this as the lyrics on the earliest songs must make him cringe with embarrassment. I mean, they're no worse than what any 18-19 would write - but I know if I got famous I would do my best to suppress my very first songs for the same reason. Good for him for just letting it all hang out, so to speak.

- I'm glad it exists, but I can't imagine I'll return to it much if ever after this initial listen. It's important for history/posterity and $50 is a bargain given the amount of work that went into it, but it is the very definition of "FOR DIE-HARDS ONLY"
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 am

scannest wrote:Initial thoughts:

- I'm surprised Bob was okay with releasing some of this as the lyrics on the earliest songs must make him cringe with embarrassment. I mean, they're no worse than what any 18-19 would write - but I know if I got famous I would do my best to suppress my very first songs for the same reason. Good for him for just letting it all hang out, so to speak.

- I'm glad it exists, but I can't imagine I'll return to it much if ever after this initial listen. It's important for history/posterity and $50 is a bargain given the amount of work that went into it, but it is the very definition of "FOR DIE-HARDS ONLY"


Gotta say, this assessment is spot on. I'm glad this exists, and can't wait to get my hands on the box/book...but this is def not for the casual fan.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:49 pm

gregpolard wrote:
...but this is def not for the casual fan.


Well....it was advertised as demo, rehearsal, live songs of the band's earliest recordings, many of them unreleased. Besides the 3 Egghunt songs, there aren't many bands that have unreleased songs that sound perfect. I'm pretty sure this wasn't meant for a casual fan, but I could be wrong, I don't know how they got the word around. Had the post here not been started I wouldn't have heard about it when I did.

As for the music, the first record is what you'd expect an early band songs to sound like, a band still looking for their own voice and songs that don't really stand up that well. I did like, or at least enjoy hearing that earlier song Writer's Cramp as it was almost like they were trying to be the Knack or something. I never really cared for the 1st 7" and felt it was odd that they had the slower plodding songs they had on it. I thought there were some really good (live recordings were hit and miss) sounding live songs, Call On Me, the Industrial Grocery Store was pretty cool, Won't Say a Word, Don't Try It (sounds like it could have been on Candy Apple Gray) and Private Hell. As for the Land Speed Record, to me it's kinda like Void (I mean Void is it's own thing) in that some people think it's just a bunch of noise and other's dig just the chaos of it all. If you didn't like Land Speed Record then of course you won't like the same songs played another show. The 2nd 7" has a great song, In A Free Land, it's totally melodic. You don't think you'd listen to that song again? I liked the 2 different recordings of songs that ended up on Everything and then, of course, Everything Falls Apart is a great blend of faster and yet still melodic punk. There are some great songs on there. The live versions of songs from Metal Circus were whatever, I love "Real World" and how raw it sounds.

So overall, it's a bunch of live recordings that are about 35+ years old, some of which sound better than others, but capture a band evolving and finding their own footing etc. Perhaps because I traded live tapes and VHS of so many bands I've just learned to listen to really rough sounding live songs easier.

So, yeah, I guess I agree that if you thought this was all going to be studio recorded unreleased songs from the SST years you'd be in for a bit of a shock. I mean, I don't even know how often I'm going listen to the songs, I'm going cherry-pick the ones I mentioned above and maybe listen to them in a row every once in a while or something. Not have a burned CD to rock out in my car when I'm on the way to Olive Garden or Home Depot.
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:28 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
...but this is def not for the casual fan.


Well....it was advertised as demo, rehearsal, live songs of the band's earliest recordings, many of them unreleased. Besides the 3 Egghunt songs, there aren't many bands that have unreleased songs that sound perfect. I'm pretty sure this wasn't meant for a casual fan, but I could be wrong, I don't know how they got the word around. Had the post here not been started I wouldn't have heard about it when I did.

As for the music, the first record is what you'd expect an early band songs to sound like, a band still looking for their own voice and songs that don't really stand up that well. I did like, or at least enjoy hearing that earlier song Writer's Cramp as it was almost like they were trying to be the Knack or something. I never really cared for the 1st 7" and felt it was odd that they had the slower plodding songs they had on it. I thought there were some really good (live recordings were hit and miss) sounding live songs, Call On Me, the Industrial Grocery Store was pretty cool, Won't Say a Word, Don't Try It (sounds like it could have been on Candy Apple Gray) and Private Hell. As for the Land Speed Record, to me it's kinda like Void (I mean Void is it's own thing) in that some people think it's just a bunch of noise and other's dig just the chaos of it all. If you didn't like Land Speed Record then of course you won't like the same songs played another show. The 2nd 7" has a great song, In A Free Land, it's totally melodic. You don't think you'd listen to that song again? I liked the 2 different recordings of songs that ended up on Everything and then, of course, Everything Falls Apart is a great blend of faster and yet still melodic punk. There are some great songs on there. The live versions of songs from Metal Circus were whatever, I love "Real World" and how raw it sounds.

So overall, it's a bunch of live recordings that are about 35+ years old, some of which sound better than others, but capture a band evolving and finding their own footing etc. Perhaps because I traded live tapes and VHS of so many bands I've just learned to listen to really rough sounding live songs easier.

So, yeah, I guess I agree that if you thought this was all going to be studio recorded unreleased songs from the SST years you'd be in for a bit of a shock. I mean, I don't even know how often I'm going listen to the songs, I'm going cherry-pick the ones I mentioned above and maybe listen to them in a row every once in a while or something. Not have a burned CD to rock out in my car when I'm on the way to Olive Garden or Home Depot.


I'm a bit confused cause you're quoting me but I didn't say that I wouldn't listen again (I've actually already listened to the entire box front to back 3 times, twice this week) but I stand by that it's not for the casual fan. HD are in my top 5 all time so this set is a must have for me.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby Neal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:05 pm

i was only interested in the extra circus songs really. weird that there's a slightly better version of "won't change" on a compilation from the 90's.
Neal
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:22 pm

Today "The Current" just dropped a 5 episode Podcast titled "Du You Remember?" that goes over the whole history of the band. Highly recommend!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby version sound » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:14 am

gregpolard wrote:Today "The Current" just dropped a 5 episode Podcast titled "Du You Remember?" that goes over the whole history of the band. Highly recommend!


I listened to the whole thing yesterday. It was great. Sadly, I'd prefer to listen to a podcast about HD these days than their actual music. Not that I have any beef with their music, I just haven't been in the mood for a while. I did like what I heard of Extra Circus, though.
Rave down
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:19 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Today "The Current" just dropped a 5 episode Podcast titled "Du You Remember?" that goes over the whole history of the band. Highly recommend!


I listened to the whole thing yesterday. It was great. Sadly, I'd prefer to listen to a podcast about HD these days than their actual music. Not that I have any beef with their music, I just haven't been in the mood for a while. I did like what I heard of Extra Circus, though.


Really well done podcast. And yeah, Extra Circus rips!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby gregpolard » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:38 pm

JGJR wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:Just got an email that the package should be outside my house, sweltering in 83 degree weather!


My tracking info hasn't even been updated, so I have no idea where mine is. Oh well. I don't even have a working CD player at the moment (mine's in the shop). I should've just ordered one of the vinyl versions. Oh well.



"Crazy Eddie's" hasn't fixed your CD player yet???
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3569
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 am

gregpolard wrote:"Crazy Eddie's" hasn't fixed your CD player yet???


Seriously, I can't imagine getting a CD player fixed is cost effective in 2017. Can't you buy a new, start-o'-the-art CD player for $89?
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2471
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby JGJR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:39 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:"Crazy Eddie's" hasn't fixed your CD player yet???


Seriously, I can't imagine getting a CD player fixed is cost effective in 2017. Can't you buy a new, start-o'-the-art CD player for $89?


The guy's only charging me $20. We'll see how long it lasts. I got the player from a FB yard sale group a few months ago for $40 and it sounds nice enough (it's a late '80s Onkyo) that I figure I'd try to get it fixed. The tray was just stuck. I'm picking it up tonight, actually.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6506
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby garth » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Got mine today! Too slow for color though!
garth
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 am

Previous

Return to daghouse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests