Postby version sound » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:42 pm

tango fistula wrote:
version sound wrote:These Important Years
Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
Friend, You've Got To Fall
No Reservations
Up In The Air

All better than anything on the SST records.

I'd have to disagree....

I count a bakers dozen kickass songs just on Zen Arcade...and to my ears
Warehouse has about 10.

I keep trying to get someone to trade me an OG Double Nickels for my OG Zen Arcade. So far I've had no takers.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Husker Du Reissue

Postby tango fistula » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:28 pm

To me they are a pair...you know?

Double Nickels and Zen Arcade released on the same day too...
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:52 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Stormy wrote:Love Husker Du, just about everything they did. That said, Warehouse songs is grabage

Oh man. I have to disagree. I dig it. Definitely the better of the two major label LPs too.

I'm with Greg here. Warehouse isn't their best...

I don't know about that. I think it's held up better than anything other than maybe Everything Falls Apart.

Everything between Metal Circus and Flip Your Wig is absolutely essential. I know you missed those years and then caught up with them again on Warehouse, but many of those records are ones I have liked since high school, so they are pretty formative for me.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:00 am

Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
No Reservations
Up In The Air

JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:53 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
Stormy wrote:Love Husker Du, just about everything they did. That said, Warehouse songs is grabage

Oh man. I have to disagree. I dig it. Definitely the better of the two major label LPs too.

I'm with Greg here. Warehouse isn't their best...

I don't know about that. I think it's held up better than anything other than maybe Everything Falls Apart.

Everything between Metal Circus and Flip Your Wig is absolutely essential. I know you missed those years and then caught up with them again on Warehouse, but many of those records are ones I have liked since high school, so they are pretty formative for me.

I've had all those records since 1986.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:59 pm

JGJR wrote:Everything between Metal Circus and Flip Your Wig is absolutely essential.

The only essential Husker Du material was released in 1983: Metal Circus and Everything Falls Apart.

The In A Free Land and Eight Miles High 7"s, and the first six songs of New Day Rising are highly recommended.

Everything after the last note of Celebrated Summer is intolerable wannabepoprockgarbage.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby patient_ot » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:39 pm

I don't think Warehouse is as bad as some people say. There are some weak tracks on it, but I enjoy it overall. I agree the production is off, but Husker Du never really had a good sounding recording anyway IMHO.

My favorite album of theirs is New Day Rising.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:25 pm

Every single Mould song on Warehouse is good, and there are more decent Hart ones than on any other record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Stormy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:43 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I'm with Greg here. Warehouse isn't their best, but it's HIGHLY underrated and Mould's songs in particular are wonderful. You really think this is garbage, stormy?

I don't think that song is garbage, but also not up there with their best stuff either. I do think there are good songs on Warehouse, but for me anyway, the lifeless, boring songs outnumber the good ones, and it probably could have been edited down to a hell of an ep. That's just me though, i also think the crap outweighs the good on Sandinista, which seems to be an unpopular opinion here. Different strokes. My fave Husker HC record will always be Landspeed Recs, and my fave post-HC stuff would be New Day Rising. But i love Zen Arcade, Metal Circus, Everything Falls Apart, Statues (and other early eps), Flip Your Wig, Candy Apple Grey... i think that's it. Warehouse just seemed so lackluster to me when i first heard it, kinda the feeling i got listening to Dear You (no comments necessary). The again i haven't played Warehouse in many years. Lots of stuff i couldn't get into back then i've grown to love now, so who knows.
Stormy

Postby tango fistula » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Has Mould pried those SST masters out of Lurches hands yet?
tango fistula

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Even as a dumb hardcore kid Land Speed Record seemed like an undifferentiated mass of pointless thrash. Maybe if those songs had been recorded properly, I would have been into it, but it's the only Husker Du record I never cared enough about to own. I was satisfied with a tape of my friend's copy.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:00 pm

version sound wrote:Even as a dumb hardcore kid Land Speed Record seemed like an undifferentiated mass of pointless thrash.

Earlier today it rained blood, then there was a plague of locusts, and now Version is holding a correct opinion about a Husker Du record. Truly, this is the end of days.

LSR is terribly recorded. There are some other tapes from that tour floating around that are better. Not a lot better, but better than the record.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby Stormy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:42 pm

It's more a time and place thing. It was the first Husker Du record i ever heard, and some of the first HC in general, so it left it's mark. I had heard nothing quite like it at the time. It remains my fave for reasons other than the actual recording i guess. But i love the raw production, the sloppiness and wall of thrash that only slows down for Data Control. I get the same feeling from the Funeral Oration "There's Nothing Left to Laugh About" 1983 demo, which is similar, a barrage of basement thrash that lets up for 90 seconds during Walls. The FO demo is a hundred times better though, and maybe my fave HC punk demo ever.
Stormy

Postby The Snake » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:41 am

I love both LSR and Warehouse and everything in between.
But I do agree with Stormy about some boring and uniteresting songs on Warehouse that this record could be fine without.
Maybe the double LP wasn´t that necessary.
I dig those Funeral Oration demos too.
The Snake

Postby tango fistula » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:51 am

Here...

http://www.shavedneck.com/SoundFilePage.htm

That whole site is excellent...but grab those live MP3's...esp. the Huskers tracks
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:18 am

obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:Everything between Metal Circus and Flip Your Wig is absolutely essential.

The only essential Husker Du material was released in 1983: Metal Circus and Everything Falls Apart.

The In A Free Land and Eight Miles High 7"s, and the first six songs of New Day Rising are highly recommended.

Everything after the last note of Celebrated Summer is intolerable wannabepoprockgarbage.

JGJR

Postby Knutsen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:27 am

obik wrote:
version sound wrote:Even as a dumb hardcore kid Land Speed Record seemed like an undifferentiated mass of pointless thrash.

Earlier today it rained blood, then there was a plague of locusts, and now Version is holding a correct opinion about a Husker Du record. Truly, this is the end of days.

LSR is terribly recorded. There are some other tapes from that tour floating around that are better. Not a lot better, but better than the record.

Seriously, (again) Land Speed Record is a hell of a hardcore record laid down by speed eating Ornette Coleman fans. There was nothing remotely intense released in 1981.
A live recording of a very underground band. in 1981 What do you expect? A professional 48 channel digital protool production?
I have like 5 copies of this record. The band lost me with Flip your Wig.
However I understand that people don't get LSR.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby version sound » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:36 am

What's to get? It's a bad recording of a bunch of songs that are mostly unreleased otherwise. I listened to a lot of terrible sounding live tapes in the 80s, but mostly of songs I already knew, so there was some point of reference.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:46 am

version sound wrote:What's to get? It's a bad recording of a bunch of songs that are mostly unreleased otherwise.

I get it's not their best (I even got rid of it at one point) but at the time it was still something to hear. The title alone is unfuckwithable, and the sleeve art warranted more than a cursory glance. Data Control stood out for me as a young kid cuz they pulled up the reins, a bit like how the title track on EFA was melodic in comparison to the rest of it.
Welly

Postby version sound » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:04 am

It looks awesome. That cover is 100% classic. I borrowed it from a friend and taped it. I only ever listened to it a few times though. Everything Falls Apart and Metal Circus were (and are) much more interesting musically.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:10 am

version sound wrote:It looks awesome. That cover is 100% classic. I borrowed it from a friend and taped it. I only ever listened to it a few times though. Everything Falls Apart and Metal Circus were (and are) much more interesting musically.

Totally. But it was a document in a time of limited resources. It's like an old band practice tape with songs you never got around to recording properly. Metal Circus is incredible. I had anarcho friends who hated it because of the lyrics. Fucked with their conformist non-conformist minds.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:It looks awesome. That cover is 100% classic. I borrowed it from a friend and taped it. I only ever listened to it a few times though. Everything Falls Apart and Metal Circus were (and are) much more interesting musically.

Totally. But it was a document in a time of limited resources. It's like an old band practice tape with songs you never got around to recording properly. Metal Circus is incredible. I had anarcho friends who hated it because of the lyrics. Fucked with their conformist non-conformist minds.

I love "Real World" for that reason (and many others).
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:50 pm

A little birdy tells me there is BIG news forthcoming regarding the remastering/re-issuing of Husker Du's pre-Warner Brothers catalog. I can't tell the label that iss doing it, but you can figure it out if you put yer thinking caps on.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:57 pm

scannest wrote:A little birdy tells me there is BIG news forthcoming regarding the remastering/re-issuing of Husker Du's pre-Warner Brothers catalog. I can't tell the label that iss doing it, but you can figure it out if you put yer thinking caps on.

CRUZ!!!!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:01 pm

gregpolard wrote:CRUZ!!!!

Jeez, you could have at least said New Alliance.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:05 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:CRUZ!!!!

Jeez, you could have at least said New Alliance.

:lol:

For real though, if it's who I'm thinking of, they've been spot on with any of the reissues they've done in the past.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:07 pm

gregpolard wrote:For real though, if it's who I'm thinking of, they've been spot on with any of the reissues they've done in the past.

Enough with the terrible jokes!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:31 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:For real though, if it's who I'm thinking of, they've been spot on with any of the reissues they've done in the past.

Enough with the terrible jokes!

HAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Virgin, of course, sine Bob had such a great stint on there and loved it so much. :D :D :D

Seriously, I'm thinking of Bob's current label (same one that did the Dinosaur Jr reissues in the mid '00s).
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:52 am

Still disappointed by WAREHOUSE (because if the others are under-produced then that album is over-produced) but between certain tracks on the SST albums + "7's - they have a great album there. Never was a Husker's completist.

I have to say, I listen to SUGAR far more than Du these days. And with the exception of some of the screaming noise of Beaster, the other SUGAR releases rock my bones :!: Esp: the Besides w/ Live Concert. "Armenia, City in the Sky" is pure joy to these old ears. I really wish I had the chance to see that group play out live. And sadly, I still haven't been able to afford seeing Bob w/ Jon Wurster. Maybe if I beg my old Superchunk friend really hard, he'll take pity on me & get me in next time they're in DC :?: :cry:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:36 am

version sound wrote:
obik wrote:
Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
No Reservations
Up In The Air

That's Mark David Chapman crazy.

It's 1000% accurate.

No, no, Obik is quite astute. If I were Paul and Ringo's minders, I'd be whisking them away to a secure facility based upon your posts in this thread.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:03 am

version sound wrote:
tango fistula wrote:
Standing In The Rain
Could You Be The One?
No Reservations
Up In The Air

I'd have to disagree....

I count a bakers dozen kickass songs just on Zen Arcade...and to my ears
Warehouse has about 10.

I keep trying to get someone to trade me an OG Double Nickels for my OG Zen Arcade. So far I've had no takers.

Wish I'd known this sooner. The store near me has/had a copy of DNOTD that they said is an original, for $40.
gregpolard

Postby Jaygun » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:40 am

I bought this colored vinyl reissue when it came out. I feel like it sounds way better than my original copy. I'm not sure if thats because my og copy is worn out from years of play, or if they did do some tweak on the repress. Either way, super happy I bought it. Also, this is my favorite Husker Du record. Metal Circus will always hold a special place for me, because its the record that got me into the band, but over the years, this is the record I always go back to. Standing in the Rain is probably my favorite Bob Mould song.
Jaygun

Postby scannest » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:44 am

JGJR wrote:Seriously, I'm thinking of Bob's current label (same one that did the Dinosaur Jr reissues in the mid '00s).

Good guess, but nope.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:45 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Seriously, I'm thinking of Bob's current label (same one that did the Dinosaur Jr reissues in the mid '00s).

Good guess, but nope.

Oh wow, that was my guess too. Hm....
gregpolard

Postby matt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:56 am

scannest wrote:

Good guess, but nope.

Merge?
matt
Site Admin

Postby matt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:56 am

gregpolard wrote:Wish I'd known this sooner. The store near me has/had a copy of DNOTD that they said is an original, for $40.

I'm interested in this, if VS is not.
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:17 am

matt wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Wish I'd known this sooner. The store near me has/had a copy of DNOTD that they said is an original, for $40.

I'm interested in this, if VS is not.

I'll see if it's sold on their FB page.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:21 am

matt wrote:Merge?

I think that was their guess. And the answer is still nope.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:40 am

scannest wrote:
matt wrote:Merge?

I think that was their guess. And the answer is still nope.

Anti-? (I just like playing the guessing game)

Does Rykodisc still exist?
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:41 am

scannest wrote:..And the answer is still nope.

Hmm. You previously bolded "Spot" (who produced everything they did pre-Flip Your Wig) and I know he did an off-shoot of Owned and Operated Records called Upland Records, but I don't even know if either of those are even around anymore. I think O&O was a big flop and crashed and burned. Spot seems like Watt in that "it will happen when it happens" so I can't imagine he'd be in charge.

I hope whoever it is has the $$$ to get it done right, not just boost all the levels but actually spend some time with it (sonically) and not fuck up the art etc. Who does that even leave?

I know previously Bob had wanted to put it out on his label Granary Records, but he and Grant seem like they can't get it worked out. Guess it doesn't help that Bob wrote songs like the below (which I "think" is about Hart):

The world, it owes you nothing
You're such a mark for yourself
No wonder no one pays attention to you now

Don't talk to me about your friends
And you've become embarrassing
So was it worse back then, or is it worse right now?

Some deadbeat dad who lives at home
And I don't like your favourite song
So please don't call me anymore
I don't wanna know you

The clock has stopped at 4:08
And I stand, still so far away
The basement window sheds no sunlight on your fate

I took the high road for too long
And I still hate your favourite song
So let there be no doubt what this one's all about
FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:01 am

It is strictly a rumor, but from what I heard it is a (primarily) re-issue label that has done 1 Husker release already.

Go!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:05 am

scannest wrote:It is strictly a rumor, but from what I heard it is a (primarily) re-issue label that has done 1 Husker release already.

Go!

Rhino what you're talking about. Rhy think.
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:06 am

scannest wrote:It is strictly a rumor, but from what I heard it is a (primarily) re-issue label that has done 1 Husker release already.

Go!

Um, Scanny. I think Plucky has hijacked your account. I await the inevitable thread extolling the virtues of the Pea Soup demo.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:08 am

gregpolard wrote:Rhino what you're talking about. Rhy think.

Nope!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:09 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Rhino what you're talking about. Rhy think.

Nope!

I suck at this.
gregpolard

Postby Chris Shary » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:57 pm

OK I broke down and grabbed a copy of Warehouse today. I was not a fan when it came out. I hated the production. Sounded really thin and it was just too weeny for me. Turns out it sounds MUCH better to my 44 year old ears. Production is what it is, however I like the songs a good deal. You can hear the struggle within the band, and I like that.
Chris Shary

Postby MXV » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:44 am

The only labels who have done any kind of Husker Du reissues are:

Rhino
Music on Vinyl
Numero
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby scannest » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:40 am

MXV wrote:The only labels who have done any kind of Husker Du reissues are:

Rhino
Music on Vinyl
Numero

And Rhino has been asked and answered, so it should be pre-tay, pre-tay clear.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:37 pm

Go!

Numero Group since they did that RSD 2x7" pack a few years ago.
JGJR

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse