Only Crime-Great Scott-Allston,MA-10/17/14

Only Crime-Great Scott-Allston,MA-10/17/14

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Thought I would post on this-it was a fun night!

Load in was late for this one, 9 PM since there was a comedy show first. After waiting for 10 minutes to get a coveted spot in the front lot. After waiting for a pair of lovebirds to say their good-byes, I got my stuff in.

We got to do a soundcheck and everything sounded good. Doors opened at 10 and we started promptly at 10:15. I thought we played well. There were a couple photographers there to see Only Crime. If I find a link I will post it.

After us was Choke Up. They were pretty rockin dudes.

Got to talk to Russ from Only Crime for a couple times throughout the night. Nice guy, really mellow. At the end of the night we were talking about Stabby, since the bassist of Only Crime had asked what I did before Silver Screams. Russ said he had tried to turn a lot of SoCal musicians on to G.I. (as evident by Good Riddance's "Hall of Fame" cover).

Only Crime played around 11:45. They kicked ass! Really tight, really entertaining. I picked up their newest-Pursuance and a t-shirt. I was really impressed with how spot on the whole band was.

So now to the Bill Stevenson section of the story. Our drummer is a big Stevenson fan. So when Bill asked to use his hi-hat, he was pretty excited :!:

Bill was super-nice and cool to talk to. People were buying him whiskeys left and right. But after asking politely a couple times, I was able to get a signed drum stick for Lewdd for his b-day. Lewdd-he spelled your name wrong but who cares. He did have to make sure he had a stick to spare, so he was making me sweat for a minute :D

But it was all good. Only Crime-great set, nice dudes. Awesome night :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Only Crime-Great Scott-Allston,MA-10/17/14

Postby 77clash » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Your the best. I can't wait to get that stick framed with my Filmage poster and Descendents/All family tree poster.
77clash

Postby Welly » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:53 am

earthdog70 wrote:Got to talk to Russ from Only Crime for a couple times throughout the night. Nice guy, really mellow.

Interviewed him once. Strange guy.
Welly

Postby john stabb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:00 am

Sounds like a great gig for the Screams, e-dog :!: While I've still never met Russ, he's definitely been a cool guy online & through sending me Only Crime collection w/ their G.I. cover included. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:19 am

I'll piggy back onto Earthpuppy's review - we (Midge, Pilster, JT and I) went to see Only Crime in Brooklyn last night. An amazing amount of fun. Got to see Iron Reagan who were seriously fantastic to watch. As Pilster said, can't picture listening to their CDs much, but in a live setting they were so energetic and fun. Seemed like really nice guys. Crowd thinned out a little for Only Crime, but totally respectable for a Sunday night. Bill put on freakin' drum clinic during their set. Before the show he said of the bands he plays with now, Only Crime's set is the most challenging physically. I didn't believe it until I saw them. It was funny, they got a nice round of applause at the end, but then Bill got up from his seat and came around to the front to break down and the applause got even louder. I don't think I'd ever seen that before for a drummer. It was nice to get and talk with him for a good long while before hand. He was in great spirits. And he paid Midge a compliment (re: Midgey's guitar playing) that I would have seriously lost my shit over. Luckily Midge is much cooler than me. great night
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 am

john stabb wrote:While I've still never met Russ, he's definitely been a cool guy online

Yeah, I posted on one of his FB updates once. He blocked me. :lol:
Welly

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:54 am

Welly wrote:
john stabb wrote:While I've still never met Russ, he's definitely been a cool guy online

My big issue with Only Crime is Russ, in particular his complete and utter lack of stage presence. His singing his fine but he is so (seemingly) un-engaged that it's difficult to get really excited watching them play.
scannest

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 am

scannest wrote:
Welly wrote:

My big issue with Only Crime is Russ, in particular his complete and utter lack of stage presence. His singing his fine but he is so (seemingly) un-engaged that it's difficult to get really excited watching them play.

Yeah, hopefully he's just introverted and not a tool. Comes across as a bit uptight in person. A hint of that vegan straight edge superiority maybe?
Welly

Postby matt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 am

Welly wrote:Yeah, hopefully he's just introverted and not a tool. Comes across as a bit uptight in person. A hint of that vegan straight edge superiority maybe?

Every time I've been around him, I've thought he was an arrogant dick, but everyone that actually knows him says he's just incredibly shy and that it comes off as stand-offish. Joe R. loves him, and that's got to count for something. :)
matt
Site Admin

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:06 am

matt wrote:
Welly wrote:Yeah, hopefully he's just introverted and not a tool. Comes across as a bit uptight in person. A hint of that vegan straight edge superiority maybe?

Every time I've been around him, I've thought he was an arrogant dick, but everyone that actually knows him says he's just incredibly shy and that it comes off as stand-offish. Joe R. loves him, and that's got to count for something. :)

I still hold a grudge over our Blasting Room tour in 2003.
FormerLurker

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 am

matt wrote:Every time I've been around him, I've thought he was an arrogant dick

That's what I thought too, but was trying to be diplomatic. ;)

matt wrote:but everyone that actually knows him says he's just incredibly shy and that it comes off as stand-offish.

It's possible.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:30 am

One time a few years ago on Twitter I @ mentioned him and said something about how I was listening to the Good Riddance "FINAL" live cd and how I wish they'd play again.

He tweeted back "What part of FINAL don't you understand?" or something like that.

Do ya'll happen to know if Aaron Dalbec from Bane was on guitar at these OC shows? I know he's expecting a kid so he said he wouldn't be on all the dates.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:34 am

gregpolard wrote:One time a few years ago on Twitter I @ mentioned him and said something about how I was listening to the Good Riddance "FINAL" live cd and how I wish they'd play again.

He tweeted back "What part of FINAL don't you understand?" or something like that.

:lol: I remember you saying this before... they reformed.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:38 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:One time a few years ago on Twitter I @ mentioned him and said something about how I was listening to the Good Riddance "FINAL" live cd and how I wish they'd play again.

:lol: I remember you saying this before... they reformed.

LOL exactly! If they never reformed, then I'd think that reply would be kinda "cool" but....whatevs. I don't know him personally either but I remember from Facebook (wondering if he blocked me too now, come to think of it) he'd always post how he was hanging out drinking Starbucks. PUNK!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:40 am

gregpolard wrote:Do ya'll happen to know if Aaron Dalbec from Bane was on guitar at these OC shows? I know he's expecting a kid so he said he wouldn't be on all the dates.

He played the Boston gig cuz he lives there, but he did not play the Brooklyn show. Dude named Grover (long time friend of Bill's) played second guitar.
scannest

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:43 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Do ya'll happen to know if Aaron Dalbec from Bane was on guitar at these OC shows? I know he's expecting a kid so he said he wouldn't be on all the dates.

He played the Boston gig cuz he lives there, but he did not play the Brooklyn show. Dude named Grover (long time friend of Bill's) played second guitar.

Grover = Jason Wrisky.
FormerLurker

Postby The Snake » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 am

Maybe Russ is one of those persons who are dicks on the net but cool in person, I know some people who are like that.
He always had something interesting to say in interviews and didn´t seem like an arrogant dude.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:03 am

earthdog70 wrote:Thought I would post on this-it was a fun night!

Load in was late for this one, 9 PM since there was a comedy show first. After waiting for 10 minutes to get a coveted spot in the front lot. After waiting for a pair of lovebirds to say their good-byes, I got my stuff in.

We got to do a soundcheck and everything sounded good. Doors opened at 10 and we started promptly at 10:15. I thought we played well. There were a couple photographers there to see Only Crime. If I find a link I will post it.

After us was Choke Up. They were pretty rockin dudes.

Got to talk to Russ from Only Crime for a couple times throughout the night. Nice guy, really mellow. At the end of the night we were talking about Stabby, since the bassist of Only Crime had asked what I did before Silver Screams. Russ said he had tried to turn a lot of SoCal musicians on to G.I. (as evident by Good Riddance's "Hall of Fame" cover).

Only Crime played around 11:45. They kicked ass! Really tight, really entertaining. I picked up their newest-Pursuance and a t-shirt. I was really impressed with how spot on the whole band was.

So now to the Bill Stevenson section of the story. Our drummer is a big Stevenson fan. So when Bill asked to use his hi-hat, he was pretty excited :!:

Bill was super-nice and cool to talk to. People were buying him whiskeys left and right. But after asking politely a couple times, I was able to get a signed drum stick for Lewdd for his b-day. Lewdd-he spelled your name wrong but who cares. He did have to make sure he had a stick to spare, so he was making me sweat for a minute :D

But it was all good. Only Crime-great set, nice dudes. Awesome night :mrgreen:

That sounds like a great night. I'm surprised that folks bought Bill some whiskeys. I'd always thought he was a teetotaler given a bunch of his lyrics.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:04 am

scannest wrote:

Awesome, thanks! Aaron is a good dude.
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:48 am

The Snake wrote:Maybe Russ is one of those persons who are dicks on the net but cool in person, I know some people who are like that.

I'm a bit like that.

Except I'm also a dick in person.

P.S. I've met the guy.
Welly

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:17 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
scannest wrote:

Grover = Jason Wrisky.

love that guy
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:49 am

WrEtcH wrote:Grover = Jason Wrisky.

love that guy

Apparently he plays guitar with Bill and Karl in Fort Collins. I love the idea that Bill and Karl continue to practice together ALL THE TIME even when they have nothing immediate going on.
scannest

Postby matt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:00 am

scannest wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:Grover = Jason Wrisky.

love that guy

Apparently he plays guitar with Bill and Karl in Fort Collins. I love the idea that Bill and Karl continue to practice together ALL THE TIME even when they have nothing immediate going on.

Correct. Grover is Stephen's stand-in in Fort Collins. Like a lot of us here (and on the Dorkboard), Grover has been a super-fan for many years. He was SO stoked to be asked to practice with Bill and Karl a few years back. Since then, they brought him to Chicago for RiotFest and let him play guitar onstage with the Descendents in front of thousands of people, did Groverage (basically Descendents/ALL karaoke in Fort Collins with Bill, Karl, Grover, and random people singing), and now he's doing the Only Crime thing.

Grover is a great guy. Super happy for him that he's getting to do all this, as he deserves it.
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:04 am

That's awesome. Makes me wish I was good at guitar.
gregpolard

Postby Dinko » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:11 pm

gregpolard wrote:Makes me wish I was good at guitar.

PUNK!
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:21 am

Here's a clip from the Boston show, almost their whole set is on there now. Not great sound quality but cool to see Bill in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OCjuFIoeNQ

:mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse