The Mods- Canada

The Mods- Canada

Postby clash77 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 pm

James insisted I post this..Bureaucrats, D.O.A, Pointed Sticks, Teenage Head..Brilliant!..The Mods should be included in the conversation..22 months tells the story..No, James did not insist that I post this...
clash77

Re: The Mods- Canada

Postby Ed Roach » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:07 am

GREAT band! Years ago when Down By Law was touring Canada, I went to a record store with Dave and Sam and insisted that Dave should pick this up (which he did), and the next day he told me they were great. The Mods don't get the same kudos that the Viletones, the Diodes, the Ugly and all those other early Canadian punk bands get...but they should.
Ed Roach

Postby Welly » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:05 am

Yes on all the above.

Coincidentally, currently reading the Perfect Youth book, and re-watched Hardcore Logo the other night.
Welly

Postby Ed Roach » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:24 am

Welly, you should read ''Treat Me Like Dirt - An Oral History of Punk in Toronto and Beyond'' by Liz Worth. It is the best book about the early punk scene in Toronto (and surrounding area). She interviewed most of the people involved (as well as being there herself) including bands, promoters and anyone else who was around back then. It is as extensively thorough as any book could get...the only problem I had with it was there was no discography of all the records released in that time period.
It is better than ''Perfect Youth''....I found that book to be in too much of a hurry to cram as much stuff into it as they could (losing me a third of the way in), although it covers the Canadian punk scene as a whole.
Ed Roach

Postby Welly » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks. We were talking about Canadian punk in practice last night, and this came up, as well as All Your Ears Can Hear.
Welly

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:22 am

Here is my review of the book, Perfect Youth.

http://punkrocklibrary.blogspot.com/201 ... youth.html

I thought I read "Treat Me Like Dirt" too, but apparently didn't write a review.
lewdd

Postby Welly » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks for no spoilers. It was nice to see this book isn't the 6pt on 6pt, which seems to be the norm for music tomes.
Welly

Postby dave123 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:36 pm

Great band, that doesn't get enough love anywhere. Spending most of my teens in Canada, it wasn't uncommon to miss bands like the Mods before the internet connected everything. I was talking with a friend last Christmas back in Canada, and I was asking him if he was into the Diodes or the Mods. He grew up in the early Canadian punk scene but had only heard of those bands when the internet came around. I had spent a lot of time as a teen in Toronto, so I was lucky enough to have heard the Mods early on. Sadly, they weren't talked about much in western Canada until more recent times.

If you can find it, there is a decent Canadian discog. book called Smash the State. I hope that it one day gets a reprint.
dave123

Postby 77clash » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:54 pm

dave123 wrote:Great band, that doesn't get enough love anywhere. Spending most of my teens in Canada, it wasn't uncommon to miss bands like the Mods before the internet connected everything. I was talking with a friend last Christmas back in Canada, and I was asking him if he was into the Diodes or the Mods. He grew up in the early Canadian punk scene but had only heard of those bands when the internet came around. I had spent a lot of time as a teen in Toronto, so I was lucky enough to have heard the Mods early on. Sadly, they weren't talked about much in western Canada until more recent times.

If you can find it, there is a decent Canadian discog. book called Smash the State. I hope that it one day gets a reprint.

I have several mp3 downloads of compilations called Smash the State, but never knew there was a book.
77clash

Return to daghouse