Raygun...Naked Raygun LP

Raygun...Naked Raygun LP

Postby lewdd » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:43 pm

The remastered version is finally available on Haunted Town Records. They have done a great job on all previous remasters. I ordered a blue vinyl version today but should have got the black and white version. Order yours before they are sold out.

P.S. If anyone has an extra "Free Shit" LP on Haunted Town Records that they wouldn't mind selling me, let me know.

lewdd

Re: Raygun...Naked Raygun LP

Postby dave123 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 pm

That's funny... I just picked up a clean copy of the og. This record rules.
dave123

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:54 am

I love NR, I really do. But this album, it just doesn't grab me like the others. "HOME" is a classic NR tune but otherwise, I almost never listen to this album compared to the others.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 am

I have never heard this record. This is the one with the "new" guitar player, right?
FormerLurker

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 am

FormerLurker wrote:I have never heard this record. This is the one with the "new" guitar player, right?

Yup. I also wasn't too crazy about those new 7"s they did. They're ok but I like The Bomb more.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:09 am

Yeah, I have the Home 7", but I never got into this record either.
jaybird

Postby Neal » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:42 pm

i have fond memories of this album and time period, even though the sound is a bit shitty. it seems like a lot of caroline stuff or similar music suffered in sound at the time, so it wasn't a HUGE difference, but you could definitely hear the absence of haggerty's distinct crunch. and even as a skater, "the grind" seemed a bit pandering or cheesy.

but i got into nr right before understand, which is my fave album of theirs. i saw them for the second time on the raygun...naked raygun tour, i remember "home" premiering on 120 minutes, and i remember going to great america/six flags in illinois for a high school trip and counting at least 5 naked raygun shirts, which seemed incredible at the time.

i've actually been listening to this and all of the raygun albums a lot lately since i've been trying to "remaster" them myself. curious how well this version can improve on the muddy sound. weird that they only include 1 of the 2 buzzcocks covers. and still not sure why the quarterstick reissue included a clicky vinyl version of "last drink" when a cd version existed on a caroline compilation.
Neal

Postby lewdd » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Neal wrote:i have fond memories of this album and time period, even though the sound is a bit shitty. it seems like a lot of caroline stuff or similar music suffered in sound at the time, so it wasn't a HUGE difference, but you could definitely hear the absence of haggerty's distinct crunch. and even as a skater, "the grind" seemed a bit pandering or cheesy.

but i got into nr right before understand, which is my fave album of theirs. i saw them for the second time on the raygun...naked raygun tour, i remember "home" premiering on 120 minutes, and i remember going to great america/six flags in illinois for a high school trip and counting at least 5 naked raygun shirts, which seemed incredible at the time.

i've actually been listening to this and all of the raygun albums a lot lately since i've been trying to "remaster" them myself. curious how well this version can improve on the muddy sound. weird that they only include 1 of the 2 buzzcocks covers. and still not sure why the quarterstick reissue included a clicky vinyl version of "last drink" when a cd version existed on a caroline compilation.

All of the previous remasters by this label have been awesome. You will throw out the quarterstick and caroline stuff after listening to these.
lewdd

Postby Stormy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:47 am

Really like Terminal and Camarilla, and maybe a couple others, but the production KILLS the whole album for me. It's just awful in every way. Such a letdown after Understand.

Jettison and All rise will always be the band's peak for me.

Also, those 3 eps they recorded in the past however many years, may be the single greatest comeback (considering the length of time) for any band, any genre. It's like they just picked right on where they left off after recording their most groundbreaking stuff. Amazes the shit out of me every time i hear those 6 songs.
Stormy

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 am

I could never get into this record,although I still have it. Maybe I should try again.
Gary

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:47 pm

gregpolard wrote:I love NR, I really do. But this album, it just doesn't grab me like the others. "HOME" is a classic NR tune but otherwise, I almost never listen to this album compared to the others.

This.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Jaygun » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:52 pm

I was supposed to do a full remix of this record. I always thought the tunes were great, but the recording is awful. Pezzati thought he had the 2" tape, but didn't. me and Spicer tried to track down Fluffy, but to no avail. So , obviously, it never happened. I did , however, mix an entire live set from 1987 at the Riviera, that Jeff did have the reels for. That turned out awesome! But, the reels are still sitting on my shelf, and I have yet to be paid, so this will probably never be released, and still be sitting here for the next 20 years.
Jaygun

Postby obik » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Jaygun wrote:I was supposed to do a full remix of this record. I always thought the tunes were great, but the recording is awful. Pezzati thought he had the 2" tape, but didn't. me and Spicer tried to track down Fluffy, but to no avail. So , obviously, it never happened. I did , however, mix an entire live set from 1987 at the Riviera, that Jeff did have the reels for. That turned out awesome! But, the reels are still sitting on my shelf, and I have yet to be paid, so this will probably never be released, and still be sitting here for the next 20 years.

Maybe you should reach out to Haunted Town records and say, "Hey, I have this recording, but I really need to paid for the work I did..."
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:10 pm

Jaygun wrote:I was supposed to do a full remix of this record. I always thought the tunes were great, but the recording is awful. Pezzati thought he had the 2" tape, but didn't. me and Spicer tried to track down Fluffy, but to no avail. So , obviously, it never happened. I did , however, mix an entire live set from 1987 at the Riviera, that Jeff did have the reels for. That turned out awesome! But, the reels are still sitting on my shelf, and I have yet to be paid, so this will probably never be released, and still be sitting here for the next 20 years.

Any thoughts on how this was remastered then if they didn't have the tapes? I know Jeff mentioned to me that he thought he had them somewhere in his house several years ago after he returned from FL.
lewdd

Postby Jaygun » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:34 pm

Any thoughts on how this was remastered then if they didn't have the tapes? I know Jeff mentioned to me that he thought he had them somewhere in his house several years ago after he returned from FL.[/quote]

I would say Jeff might have had the 2 track master reel some place, or they just took it from the original cd, and mastered off of that. Although, maybe Caroline gave them the 2 track master reel. Who knows.
Jaygun

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:56 pm

NR should do a pledge music campaign for the 1987 live set if they don''t have the $ to complete.

Jaygun-while we have you here, when is The Bomb EP coming out :?:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Jaygun wrote:Any thoughts on how this was remastered then if they didn't have the tapes? I know Jeff mentioned to me that he thought he had them somewhere in his house several years ago after he returned from FL.

I would say Jeff might have had the 2 track master reel some place, or they just took it from the original cd, and mastered off of that. Although, maybe Caroline gave them the 2 track master reel. Who knows.[/quote]

Hopefully, it is not from the original CD because the sound on that sucked.
lewdd

Postby Stormy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:07 am

Home is decent. Home of the Brave and I Remember (Home) are far superior. Fever island i'd say is better. It's just one of those albums where you couldn't care less if they even recorded it or not. So many great Raygun Lps, why settle for mediocre. Want to hear NR, reach for a classic.
Stormy

Postby Jaygun » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:13 am

earthdog70 wrote:NR should do a pledge music campaign for the 1987 live set if they don''t have the $ to complete.

Jaygun-while we have you here, when is The Bomb EP coming out :?:

No Idea had a lot of problems with the pressing plants. I guess they had to switch to a couple different ones. Var said that we should have test presses very soon, so hopefully before xmas. What we we did with the layout and vinyl is pretty fucking cool, besides the songs being some of my favorites, so I'm excited for it.
Jaygun

Postby MXV » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:59 am

Didn't Fluffy die some number of years ago or am I confusing him with someone else?
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Jaygun » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:33 am

MXV wrote:Didn't Fluffy die some number of years ago or am I confusing him with someone else?

Not sure, but that would explain why neither me or Eric could track him down 8-)
Jaygun

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:19 am

I was hoping they shipped these already so I can listen to them this weekend.
lewdd

Postby 77clash » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:41 pm

They didn't show up today. I also ordered a pink vinyl version of Jettison since my gunsmoke vinyl skips (as did the first one I ordered from interpunk I think it is a pressing issue). I'm hoping the pink doesn't skip.
77clash

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:05 pm

Its a good album. Nothing wrong with it.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Stormy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:39 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Its a good album. Nothing wrong with it.

It's good. But not by Raygun standards.
Stormy

Postby Welly » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Stormy wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Its a good album. Nothing wrong with it.

It's good. But not by Raygun standards.

But some bands' B Sides are still better than most other bands A's right?
Welly

Postby Stormy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:05 am

sure, i guess. bottom line is i've maybe spun the LP maybe a dozen times since it came out, and the others i've played hundreds,
Stormy

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 am

Stormy wrote:sure, i guess. bottom line is i've maybe spun the LP maybe a dozen times since it came out, and the others i've played hundreds,

You're right. In fact, I didn't even buy it when it came out. I was into them and saw them live numerous times, but for some reason I didn't pick it up until later.

The question is: Which is the best NR record?
Welly

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:07 am

Welly wrote:
Stormy wrote:sure, i guess. bottom line is i've maybe spun the LP maybe a dozen times since it came out, and the others i've played hundreds,

You're right. In fact, I didn't even buy it when it came out. I was into them and saw them live numerous times, but for some reason I didn't pick it up until later.

I'm firmly in the Throb Throb camp but an argument could probably be made for at least 3 of their records.
FormerLurker

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:11 am

Throb Throb is my go to record, but yeah, All Rise, Jettison...
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:31 am

Throb, All rise, Jettison, Understand

whichever one I'm listening to at the time is my favorite.
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 am

gregpolard wrote:Throb, All rise, Jettison, Understand

Yup. Also Basement Screams and Vanilla Blue need mentioning.

Loved NR so much we booked the 2007 tour to see them in FL. Then met Jeff when I put the Bomb on here. Talked about the times seeing Raygun in the 80's in a crypt under a church in Bristol and other times. He was telling me he always tells people he's 'Big In Wales' and they never know what he's on about and laughed. Loads of the old guard came out that night as it was his first appearance here since NR. He was very ill at the time, or so it seemed, and grown men were crying when he took to the stage and looked so frail. Great guy Pezzati.
Welly

Postby MXV » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:40 am

It is a scientific fact that Throb Throb was their best album.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 am

Welly wrote:The question is: Which is the best NR record?

Understand? would be my pick, but the 3 previous ones are great, too. I could take or leave most of the rest of their stuff, honestly.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:05 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Throb, All rise, Jettison, Understand

Yup. Also Basement Screams and Vanilla Blue need mentioning.

Loved NR so much we booked the 2007 tour to see them in FL. Then met Jeff when I put the Bomb on here. Talked about the times seeing Raygun in the 80's in a crypt under a church in Bristol and other times. He was telling me he always tells people he's 'Big In Wales' and they never know what he's on about and laughed. Loads of the old guard came out that night as it was his first appearance here since NR. He was very ill at the time, or so it seemed, and grown men were crying when he took to the stage and looked so frail. Great guy Pezzati.

He seems to look a lot better now than he did the first time I saw them in 2009 (though they were great). And yes, Basement Screams and Vanilla Blue are also tops!
gregpolard

Postby Stormy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Welly wrote:

I feel like we just had this conversation. For me it will always be Jettison. I think it's their most epic and layered work, kinda like what Bivouac was for Jawbreaker. One of the greatest opening tracks in the history of punk, and maybe the only Raygun LP that EVERY song is great, In fact when the question "name a perfect album" comes up i usually say Jettison. All Rise would be second, then Understand, then Throb Throb.
Stormy

Postby obik » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:43 pm

MXV wrote:It is a scientific fact that Throb Throb was their best album.

That is correct only insofar as Naked Raygun never released an album that was even a tenth as good as the Basement Screams EP (and Oz stuff, and the early demos).
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby The Snake » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:15 am

All Rise, no discussion.
The Snake

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 am

obik wrote:

That is correct only insofar as Naked Raygun never released an album that was even a tenth as good as the Basement Screams EP (and Oz stuff, and the early demos).

I have figured it out. You really are Steve Albini.
JGJR

Postby obik » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:24 pm

JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:

I can't help it if two handsome, friendly, devastatingly intelligent guys with impeccable taste in music both come to the same conclusion, now can I?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 pm

obik wrote:
JGJR wrote:
obik wrote:

I can't help it if two handsome, friendly, devastatingly intelligent guys with impeccable taste in music both come to the same conclusion, now can I?

He's married, you know. It sounds like you're hitting on him. :D
JGJR

Postby Gary » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:38 pm

Playing with Foo Fighters and Cheap Trick

http://www.cheaptrick.com/foo-fighters- ... gley-field
Gary

Postby 77clash » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:51 am

FInally, my blue vinyl showed up as did my pink vinyl copy of Jettison.

77clash

Postby Welly » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:24 pm

Spinning Jettison now. What a slab.
Welly

Postby lewdd » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Welly wrote:Spinning Jettison now. What a slab.

The pink version doesn't skip like my gunsmoke color version does. :D
lewdd

Postby Welly » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:34 pm

lewdd wrote:

I'll stick with my old black copy.
Welly

Postby lewdd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:03 pm

Welly wrote:
lewdd wrote:

I'll stick with my old black copy.

The Haunted Town versions sound much better.
lewdd

Postby MJH » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Man I used to bounce around the room like a maniac when Live Wire gives way to The Mule!!!
MJH

Postby lewdd » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Spinning Jettison now to rip it to MP3 later.

Well, the pink version skips too, but only during a few spots in Ghetto Mechanic. It is much better than the b-side of the gun smoke color vinyl version that skips in almost every song on side B. Fuck, why can't they get this shit right.
lewdd

Postby Welly » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:44 pm

lewdd wrote:Fuck, why can't they get this shit right.

They did. On the original.
Welly

Next

Return to daghouse