A terrible US band

A terrible US band

Postby clash77 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:36 pm

The Wipers-Doesn't get much better..Amazing band here.
clash77

Re: A terrible US band

Postby Welly » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:34 am

Ae you saying you like the Wipers or you think they're shit? You been on the glue again?
Welly

Postby Janelle » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:29 am

Yeah weird - YOU LOVE the Wipers ha
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:30 am

Welly wrote:Ae you saying you like the Wipers or you think they're shit? You been on the glue again?

Carbona not glue
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Postby clash77 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:33 am

Welly wrote:Ae you saying you like the Wipers or you think they're shit? You been on the glue again?

Ha.Love 'em..
clash77

Postby Welly » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:39 am

clash77 wrote:

Ha.Love 'em..

Great hypnotic quality. I listened to the Youth of America record on a train journey at night the other week, and it was the perfect soundtrack.
Welly

Postby clash77 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:45 am

Welly wrote:
clash77 wrote:

Ha.Love 'em..

Great hypnotic quality. I listened to the Youth of America record on a train journey at night the other week, and it was the perfect soundtrack.

Cant get enough..One of the great "overlooked" bands IMO.
clash77

Postby johnnotkathi » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:21 am

carbonara not glue......... 8-)

johnnotkathi

Postby 77clash » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:36 am

johnnotkathi wrote:carbonara not glue......... 8-)

love that stuff
77clash

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:11 pm

clash77 wrote:The Wipers-Doesn't get much better..Amazing band here.

Best U.S. band of the last 35 years.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby jason powell » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:17 pm

I love the Wipers and I love carbonara. We make it with morningstar bacon instead of prociutto.
jason powell

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:47 am

JGJR wrote:

You'll say that about the Dum Dum Girls tomorrow.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:03 am

gregpolard wrote:

Precisely.
Welly

Postby worldismyfuse » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:50 am

Wipers might be my favorite band. Youth of America is a masterpiece and Is This Real and Over the Edge are incredible. I can listen to them anytime, over and over...
worldismyfuse

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:28 pm

gregpolard wrote:You'll say that about the Dum Dum Girls tomorrow.

CHECK OUT THE BIG BRAIN ON BRAD!

I MEAN GREG!
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:29 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:You'll say that about the Dum Dum Girls tomorrow.

CHECK OUT THE BIG BRAIN ON BRAD!

I MEAN GREG!

I'm not sure I get it.

Edit: never mind. I get it. And I laughed.

(I'm right though, no?)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby tango fistula » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Fantastic band.

Saw them play to 15 people at the Anthrax in Norwalk.

Bold drew 350 two days later same venue.
tango fistula

Postby tango fistula » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:44 pm

yep...........

"Bold"...aka "Crippled Youth"

None of you have convinced me as to WHY this phase of American H.C. wasn't the
absolute
fucking
worst
ever
ever
ever.
tango fistula

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Bold were cool. Especially the last 7"
gregpolard

Postby The Snake » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:57 pm

It is interesting how for almost every band that now play some kind of post punk, someone will write they are influenced by Thew Wipers. But I don´t hear any Wipers similarities with all these new hype dark post arty farty bands.
The Snake

Postby clash77 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:52 pm

tango fistula wrote:yep...........

"Bold"...aka "Crippled Youth"

None of you have convinced me as to WHY this phase of American H.C. wasn't the
absolute
fucking
worst
ever
ever
ever.
And this is related to the subject this way, .......... ????????????
clash77

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:09 pm

tango fistula wrote:Fantastic band.

Saw them play to 15 people at the Anthrax in Norwalk.

Bold drew 350 two days later same venue.

attn: clash77, this was where the Bold talk came from.

FWIW, I dig both bands.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

They haven't been around that long, silly.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 pm

worldismyfuse wrote:Wipers might be my favorite band. Youth of America is a masterpiece and Is This Real and Over the Edge are incredible. I can listen to them anytime, over and over...

My new favorite poster.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 pm

gregpolard wrote:Bold were cool. Especially the last 7"

Their best record by far. I like a few songs on Speak Out, but otherwise think they're kinda unlistenable (including Crippled Youth here, too).
JGJR

Postby clash77 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:44 pm

Is This Real"..None of you even mention this record??.The best Wipers recordings???..Really?
clash77

Postby clash77 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:53 pm

The Nips...sorry..I needed a thread...Shane is king.."Nervous wreck"..Fuck me!!
clash77

Postby Welly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:01 am

The Snake wrote:It is interesting how for almost every band that now play some kind of post punk, someone will write they are influenced by Thew Wipers. But I don´t hear any Wipers similarities with all these new hype dark post arty farty bands.

Er, that's because it's trendy and they're full of shit. :lol:
Welly

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:45 am

I was in a few terrible US bands. Hunter ... :?:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby worldismyfuse » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:15 am

Welly wrote:
The Snake wrote:It is interesting how for almost every band that now play some kind of post punk, someone will write they are influenced by Thew Wipers. But I don´t hear any Wipers similarities with all these new hype dark post arty farty bands.

Hot Snakes are the only band that I can think of that sound "influenced" by Wipers, but it's only one part of their sound.
worldismyfuse

Postby Welly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:33 am

worldismyfuse wrote:
Hot Snakes are the only band that I can think of that sound "influenced" by Wipers, but it's only one part of their sound.

There are a few of the newer post-punk bands that have a strong Wipers influence such as the Estranged, but the vast majority seem to have only ever heard Joy Division and the Cure. There's a huge amount of old post-punk, especially U.S. that has gone almost completely ignored in the current trend.
Last edited by Welly on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:51 am

worldismyfuse wrote:Hot Snakes are the only band that I can think of that sound "influenced" by Wipers, but it's only one part of their sound.

I'd say all of Speedo's musical endeavors have a strong Wipers influence (some stronger than others, but it is obvious he loves them).
scannest

Postby The Snake » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:56 am

Speaking of Speedo´s bands, lately I discovered The Sultans and Night Marchers and I like what I hear.
The Snake

Postby worldismyfuse » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:39 am

Welly wrote:
worldismyfuse wrote:

There are a few of the newer post-punk bands that have a strong Wipers influence such as the Estranged, but the vast majority seem to have only ever heard Joy Division and the Cure. There's a huge amount of old post-punk, especially U.S. that has gone almost completely ignored in the current trend.

Tell me more about the Estranged. A quick look has me interested.
worldismyfuse

Postby Welly » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:56 am

worldismyfuse wrote:Tell me more about the Estranged. A quick look has me interested.

Portland trio. Members of From Ashes Rise, Hellshock, Remains Of The Day, Lebenden Toten. Three albums, loads of EPs and an album of EPs. First one to hear would probably be Subliminal Man. The new one is a bit more polished, here's my review from the lastest issue...

Portland post-punks back with their third full length. A little more polished and layered than previous albums with crafted song writing and Greg Sage lead guitar. The more mainstream feel borders on a darker indie in places, but still keeping that WIPERS influence, and adding a more British 80’s feel like THE SOUND. Extra black cover art with added black vinyl to add to the blackness. DIRTNAP
Welly

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:22 am

The Snake wrote:Speaking of Speedo´s bands, lately I discovered The Sultans and Night Marchers and I like what I hear.

Night Marchers' 2nd record was my favorite album of last year. I hope he can keep them going.
scannest

Postby worldismyfuse » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Welly wrote:
worldismyfuse wrote:Tell me more about the Estranged. A quick look has me interested.

Portland trio. Members of From Ashes Rise, Hellshock, Remains Of The Day, Lebenden Toten. Three albums, loads of EPs and an album of EPs. First one to hear would probably be Subliminal Man. The new one is a bit more polished, here's my review from the lastest issue...

Portland post-punks back with their third full length. A little more polished and layered than previous albums with crafted song writing and Greg Sage lead guitar. The more mainstream feel borders on a darker indie in places, but still keeping that WIPERS influence, and adding a more British 80’s feel like THE SOUND. Extra black cover art with added black vinyl to add to the blackness. DIRTNAP

Thanks Welly. Bought and downloaded Sublimunal Man, after one listen I bought the Static Thoughts and Type Foundry sessions downloads. Good stuff, just what I was looking for!
worldismyfuse

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:23 pm

clash77 wrote:Is This Real"..None of you even mention this record??.The best Wipers recordings???..Really?

I love it, but Youth of America and Over the Edge both destroy it IMO. The difference is pretty palpable.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:28 pm

worldismyfuse wrote:
Welly wrote:

I beg to differ here. I had one of their records (can't remember if it was Audit in Progress or Automatic Midnight) and while I enjoy it, it's just straight-up Wipers worship. I think they admitted it, too. I think The Night Marchers and particularly Drive Like Jehu are much less obvious about it. Also, Milk Music's Cruise Your Illusion from last year is like the follow-up to The Power in One (the last Wipers album, which was released in 1999).

Otherwise, though, they seem to be a well-loved band in recent years, so I think there are others. Jay Reatard liked them, I think. I know Vivian Girls definitely do and they covered "Telepathic Love" and some of their guitar workouts were definitely Wipers-esque. I saw Shellshag cover them once, Shoppers name-dropped them in their lyrics (but don't really sound like them; singer is now in Perfect Pussy).
JGJR

Postby Welly » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:21 am

worldismyfuse wrote:Thanks Welly. Bought and downloaded Sublimunal Man, after one listen I bought the Static Thoughts and Type Foundry sessions downloads. Good stuff, just what I was looking for!

No problem. Glad to be of service. If you want to hear some real Wipers style that is less influenced-by and more contemporaries-of (drummer Sam Henry was in both early on), then check out the never-talked-about Napalm Beach...

NAPALM BEACH - "Rock & roll hell + trap sampler" LP

Recorded by Greg Sage from the Wipers. This reference includes the "Rock and Roll hell" album and the three songs from the Trap Sampler compilation (Both on Greg Sage's record label, years ago TRAP records) that featured Napalm Beach, Pell Mell, The Wipers and Drum Bunny. Amazing Psycho-r'n'r-punk songs. "Rock and roll hell" is one of the best songs in da world. As Greg Sage said this was a big influence for the Wipers, listen to the songs and you will understand why.

Forgotten apostles from the northwest rock'n'roll saga, you know, Sonics, Wailers, Wipers or The Rats. Napalm Beach released their best songs through Trap records, the Greg Sage label from the Wipers. In this record, you'll get their cassette "Rock'n' roll Hell" and their astonishing contribution to the Trap Sampler compilation. Their songs lack of equidistance, they're tearing, melodic, and they are full of their own sound, which is like desperated and mysterious chemistry. Sage produced these songs erasing whatever he found superficial, reducing and smashing to bits all guitar, bass and drums, leaving his own personal trace like he does nowadays too. The best Wipers songs which aren't in any of the Wipers albums.
Welly

Postby johnnotkathi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 am

jason powell wrote:I love the Wipers and I love carbonara. We make it with morningstar bacon instead of prociutto.

try pancetta....... ;)
johnnotkathi

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:38 am

JGJR wrote:I saw Shellshag cover them once

And my band covered Steely Dan. That does not mean we can claim any connection or inspiration. We just liked the song.

Shellshag : Wipers = Sublime : Bob Marley
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:54 am

scannest wrote:

And my band covered Steely Dan. That does not mean we can claim any connection or inspiration. We just liked the song.

So what you're saying is that you don't like Shellshag? I do, but out of curiosity, ever seen them live? Of course they're not as good as The Wipers, though.

Remind me again what Steely Dan song your band covered.

My main point, though, is that I think Shellshag are way closer sonically to The Wipers than The Thirteen are to Steely Dan. I don't think that's too outrageous of a statement, do you?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 am

Welly wrote:
worldismyfuse wrote:Thanks Welly. Bought and downloaded Sublimunal Man, after one listen I bought the Static Thoughts and Type Foundry sessions downloads. Good stuff, just what I was looking for!

No problem. Glad to be of service. If you want to hear some real Wipers style that is less influenced-by and more contemporaries-of (drummer Sam Henry was in both early on), then check out the never-talked-about Napalm Beach...

NAPALM BEACH - "Rock & roll hell + trap sampler" LP

Recorded by Greg Sage from the Wipers. This reference includes the "Rock and Roll hell" album and the three songs from the Trap Sampler compilation (Both on Greg Sage's record label, years ago TRAP records) that featured Napalm Beach, Pell Mell, The Wipers and Drum Bunny. Amazing Psycho-r'n'r-punk songs. "Rock and roll hell" is one of the best songs in da world. As Greg Sage said this was a big influence for the Wipers, listen to the songs and you will understand why.

Forgotten apostles from the northwest rock'n'roll saga, you know, Sonics, Wailers, Wipers or The Rats. Napalm Beach released their best songs through Trap records, the Greg Sage label from the Wipers. In this record, you'll get their cassette "Rock'n' roll Hell" and their astonishing contribution to the Trap Sampler compilation. Their songs lack of equidistance, they're tearing, melodic, and they are full of their own sound, which is like desperated and mysterious chemistry. Sage produced these songs erasing whatever he found superficial, reducing and smashing to bits all guitar, bass and drums, leaving his own personal trace like he does nowadays too. The best Wipers songs which aren't in any of the Wipers albums.

I dig these songs (not sure if I'd ever heard them before, though I know I've heard a few songs by the band), but their vocalist is nowhere near as powerful as Sage. That's one of the main differences.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:30 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:

So what you're saying is that you don't like Shellshag? I do, but out of curiosity, ever seen them live? Of course they're not as good as The Wipers, though.

Remind me again what Steely Dan song your band covered.

My main point, though, is that I think Shellshag are way closer sonically to The Wipers than The Thirteen are to Steely Dan. I don't think that's too outrageous of a statement, do you?

Steely Dan cover is a bonus track on the download for "Lift-Off". I forget which song at the moment!
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:36 am

JGJR wrote:So what you're saying is that you don't like Shellshag? I do, but out of curiosity, ever seen them live? Of course they're not as good as The Wipers, though.

Yes, I do. I've had to sit through Shellshag twice on a couple Don Giovanni showcase bills and I think they are terrible. Just a train wreck of "gosh, aren't we wacky!" amateurish mediocrity.
But hey, maybe their records are awesome. I'm sure people have said the same of the Replacements and I kinda like them. A little.
scannest

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:37 am

gregpolard wrote:Steely Dan cover is a bonus track on the download for "Lift-Off". I forget which song at the moment!

"Barrytown", FWIW.
scannest

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:37 am

And I'm thrilled that JGJR brought Shellshag into a thread called "A Terrible US Band".
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:40 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Steely Dan cover is a bonus track on the download for "Lift-Off". I forget which song at the moment!

"Barrytown", FWIW.

Thank you! Had a brain freeze.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:35 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:So what you're saying is that you don't like Shellshag? I do, but out of curiosity, ever seen them live? Of course they're not as good as The Wipers, though.

Yes, I do. I've had to sit through Shellshag twice on a couple Don Giovanni showcase bills and I think they are terrible. Just a train wreck of "gosh, aren't we wacky!" amateurish mediocrity.
But hey, maybe their records are awesome. I'm sure people have said the same of the Replacements and I kinda like them. A little.

I only have one of their records and I dig it, but I actually may prefer their live show the one time I saw them back in 2008. Yes, they are amateur-ish, but maybe they just work better in a gallery/house space (where I saw them; it was at Danger Danger House in West Philly) than at a place like MHOW. And I had a feeling you would've seen them there (at the DG showcases).
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse