Jimi Hendrix Top 20

Jimi Hendrix Top 20

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:58 am

FInally! A list for people who can't be held to a mere 10.

In no particular order:

01. Manic Depression
02. I Don't Live Today
03. Love Or Confusion
04. The Wind Cries Mary
05. Are You Experienced?
06. Spanish Castle Magic
07. Little Wing
08. If 6 Was 9
09. Castles Made Of Sand
10. Wait Until Tomorrow
11. Bold As Love
12. Burning Of The Midnight Lamp
13. 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)
14. Vodoo Child (Slight Return)
15. All Along The Watchtower
16. Like A Rolling Stone
17. Machine Gun
18. Hear My Train A Comin'
19. Room Full Of Mirrors
20. In From The Storm
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Jimi Hendrix Top 20

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:16 am

i would agree with most of this. i think machine gun and manic are my favorite songs of his, and if six was nine.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:34 am

If this doesn't get pedro out of hiding, nothing will.

I would add "Angel" and "May This Be Love". I love my Jimi ballads.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 am

scannest wrote:If this doesn't get pedro out of hiding, nothing will.

I love those as well. With Hendrix, it's more a matter of trying to decide what not to put on the list. "Red House" from the UK version of AYE is pretty much the only track on the three Experience LPs that definitely wouldn't be on my list.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby dave123 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:38 am

Wow, you guys are some serious Hendrix fans. I got into Jimi at the same time, as I got into punk. My brother gave me a copy of Axis Bold As Love in an effort to get me to like music other than the Pistols and the Jam. I loved it and was an instant convert (to Hendrix, not the whole hippy lifestyle). I need to restock my Hendrix collection, so I can recheck out all of these songs you guys are mentioning. My father used to tell a funny story of having to pick my brother up from seeing Hendrix. He waited outside the concert hall for ages until he gave up and went and banged on the service door. The security let him in to look around. He found my brother "asleep" under a chair. Nice. Needless to say, you didn't speak about Hendrix too much in my house.
dave123

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:14 pm

version sound wrote:

I love those as well. With Hendrix, it's more a matter of trying to decide what not to put on the list. "Red House" from the UK version of AYE is pretty much the only track on the three Experience LPs that definitely wouldn't be on my list.

This. I would probably but every song from the 1st 2 on there except for maybe "ESP" or "Up from the Skies" though I like both. And yeah I prefer the US version of Are You Experienced? because I heard it first (found a vinyl copy recently; stereo not mono, I think, but still happy to find it) and it doesn't have "Red House" on it and they put a single on it instead IIRC.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:14 pm

version sound wrote:

This. I would probably but every song from the 1st 2 on there except for maybe "ESP" or "Up from the Skies" though I like both. And yeah I prefer the US version of Are You Experienced? because I heard it first (found a vinyl copy recently; stereo not mono, I think, but still happy to find it) and it doesn't have "Red House" on it and they put a single on it instead IIRC.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:15 pm

dave123 wrote:Wow, you guys are some serious Hendrix fans. I got into Jimi at the same time, as I got into punk. My brother gave me a copy of Axis Bold As Love in an effort to get me to like music other than the Pistols and the Jam. I loved it and was an instant convert (to Hendrix, not the whole hippy lifestyle). I need to restock my Hendrix collection, so I can recheck out all of these songs you guys are mentioning. My father used to tell a funny story of having to pick my brother up from seeing Hendrix. He waited outside the concert hall for ages until he gave up and went and banged on the service door. The security let him in to look around. He found my brother "asleep" under a chair. Nice. Needless to say, you didn't speak about Hendrix too much in my house.

I guess your brother is much older? That's very cool that he got to see Hendrix in any case, though!
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:47 pm

dave123 wrote:Wow, you guys are some serious Hendrix fans. I got into Jimi at the same time, as I got into punk. My brother gave me a copy of Axis Bold As Love in an effort to get me to like music other than the Pistols and the Jam. I loved it and was an instant convert (to Hendrix, not the whole hippy lifestyle). I need to restock my Hendrix collection, so I can recheck out all of these songs you guys are mentioning. My father used to tell a funny story of having to pick my brother up from seeing Hendrix. He waited outside the concert hall for ages until he gave up and went and banged on the service door. The security let him in to look around. He found my brother "asleep" under a chair. Nice. Needless to say, you didn't speak about Hendrix too much in my house.

I actually got into Hendrix after punk, through a combination of my older sister's Essential Hendrix Vol 2 cassette and Beefeater's cover of "Manic Depression". I was really obsessed for a few years there. If you're restocking, the three Experience records are essential, IMO. I think those should be in everyone's collection. Hell, I think even Welly would enjoy a lot of the first LP.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:52 pm

version sound wrote:Hell, I think even Welly would enjoy a lot of the first LP.

Why bring me into it? I'm like the Dag poster boy for narrow-mindedness now huh? :lol:

Never been a fan really, but then again, that's no surprise for most shit huh?

I did, however, give my son a Hendrix album when he was first learning guitar, and he has loads of Hendrix stuff now.

My son is 19 today by the way. Tempus fugit.
Welly

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Welly wrote:Why bring me into it? I'm like the Dag poster boy for narrow-mindedness now huh? :lol:

No, just the poster with the least tolerance for anything with a whiff of "classic rock" about it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:13 pm

version sound wrote:
Welly wrote:Why bring me into it? I'm like the Dag poster boy for narrow-mindedness now huh? :lol:

No, just the poster with the least tolerance for anything with a whiff of "classic rock" about it.

Whiff is the right word. ROFLOLMAO!@%^?!

Hendrix - I can respect the art, doesn't necessarily mean I have to sit through it.
Welly

Postby patient_ot » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:07 pm

I have a hard time with lists like this, because I tend to focus on albums, not songs.

I do like Hendrix a lot, but I'm not as massive a fan as some. I've only got the 3 Experience albums and the Live at Monterey disc.

I think the current crop of vinyl reissues from EH were very well done. I've not heard any of the mono versions from Classic or anything.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:33 pm

From what I've heard, the Sony Legacy mono ABAL is as good as the Classic, unless you have a superstar audiophile set-up. I have a needledrop of a mono Barclay AYE and a bootleg CD of ABAL in mono (seems to be a tape source, but I don't know from where). Both are cool listens in mono. I think AYE is actually better in mono. It's more direct and has more energy than the stereo.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby dave123 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:01 pm

JGJR wrote:

I guess your brother is much older? That's very cool that he got to see Hendrix in any case, though!

Yep, way older. There aren't too many bands he hasn't seen (from then until now). He has been a part of the UK art, political, and music scenes in one way or another since the '60s. Sadly, he doesn't remember most of it. When we hang out, which is around ever 5-10 years or so, I quiz him, and he knows that he has seen certain bands but can't give details. He got me into Vashti Bunyan though, which is weird since she now collaborates with Max Richter which I was into before liking her stuff. He took me to my first show on his shoulders, which he claims was Black Uhuru, but I don't trust his memory (it was a reggae band though). He was big into reggae and used to send rastafarians to my my parent's house for food. He wouldn't be there, but they would come by for some free food. I still to this day have no idea why that happened. Weird dude.
dave123

Postby patient_ot » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:41 pm

version sound wrote:From what I've heard, the Sony Legacy mono ABAL is as good as the Classic, unless you have a superstar audiophile set-up. I have a needledrop of a mono Barclay AYE and a bootleg CD of ABAL in mono (seems to be a tape source, but I don't know from where). Both are cool listens in mono. I think AYE is actually better in mono. It's more direct and has more energy than the stereo.

My friend that runs an online record shop sells a lot of the mono Hendrix LP reissues, so I guess people are into them.

I will keep that in mind w/r/t the first album. There are a lot of albums I'd like to hear in mono. But unless there is a reasonably priced CD issue which combines both the mono and stereo versions, I usually pass when I already own the album in stereo, because I can't justify dropping the cash.

One exception I made a few years back was the early Who catalog. The first two albums need to be heard in mono. Especially the first album...I shelled out $30-40 for a mono Japanese CD of the first one and don't regret it at all.
patient_ot

Postby lewdd » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Why is "Peace in Mississippi" not on any of these lists?
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Welly wrote:I did, however, give my son a Hendrix album when he was first learning guitar, and he has loads of Hendrix stuff now.

My son is 19 today by the way. Tempus fugit.

You're a wonderful dad and happy birthday to your son!
JGJR

Postby aquaman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:40 pm

Have an extra ticket to see "Experience Hendrix" tonight and cannot give it away....trying to determine if I have no friends or the ones I have suck, East Coasters clearly excluded.
aquaman

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:43 pm

I bought these and now all I need is an electric lady land (orig pressing) I love it.

http://instagram.com/p/tWCwnuG4cA/?modal=true
http://instagram.com/p/r6pI__G4Xx/?modal=true
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:57 pm

aquaman wrote:...trying to determine if I have no friends or the ones I have suck, East Coasters clearly excluded.

Oh no, we suck too.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby obik » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:29 pm

scannest wrote:
aquaman wrote:...trying to determine if I have no friends or the ones I have suck, East Coasters clearly excluded.

Oh no, we suck too.

But only after the third date.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:40 pm

WrEtcH wrote:I bought these and now all I need is an electric lady land (orig pressing) I love it.

Beware. Supposedly they fucked up the phasing on the American first press (two-tone steamboat label), so you're better off with a second press. Of course, ELL is the one I have a nice first press copy of :(
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 pm

version sound wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:I bought these and now all I need is an electric lady land (orig pressing) I love it.

Beware. Supposedly they fucked up the phasing on the American first press (two-tone steamboat label), so you're better off with a second press. Of course, ELL is the one I have a nice first press copy of :(

I like how the original shirt look like the actual cover as opposed to the new pressings.

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Oops, didn't look at the pics the first time around. In that case, you also need an AYE shirt.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:35 pm

lewdd wrote:Why is "Peace in Mississippi" not on any of these lists?
lewdd

Postby obik » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:44 pm

lewdd wrote:
lewdd wrote:Why is "Peace in Mississippi" not on any of these lists?

Because its posthumous mutilation by hack session musicians is an abomination in the eyes of god and man.

Happy now?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Return to daghouse