Johnny Marr - Playland

Johnny Marr - Playland

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Listened to the Spotify preview. Pretty good, about on par with his last album, maybe a little better. I still think "Easy Money" is one of the weaker tunes on the album and shouldn't have been chosen as a single.
patient_ot

Re: Johnny Marr - Playland

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 am

I'm debating going to see him, hopefully I can make it this time. 8-)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:12 am

11/10 in Philly. Stoked.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:25 am

Yeah, I'm hoping I can make it see him next month. Missed him when he did the last U.S. tour.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:11/10 in Philly. Stoked.

This.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:28 pm

patient_ot wrote:Yeah, I'm hoping I can make it see him next month. Missed him when he did the last U.S. tour.

This, too (still have never seen him except with Modest Mouse in 2008 and that same show he was a guest when R.E.M. played "Fall on Me'").
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:28 pm

I forgot that he was in Modest Mouse for a bit. I remember thinking "What is he doing?". Outside of a few songs, I pretty much can't stand them.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:42 am

patient_ot wrote:I forgot that he was in Modest Mouse for a bit. I remember thinking "What is he doing?". Outside of a few songs, I pretty much can't stand them.

Like many other folks, I got into them when Good News for People Who Love Bad News came out. I loved that album at the time, but I didn't like its follow-up (which I think Marr is on) at all. I don't think much of The Cribs, either, but I think he was a better fit for that band, actually. Oh and I like what I've heard of Modest Mouse's pre-major label stuff (and their 1st major label album), too, but I've never really explored it.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:58 am

Loved the single from the album Johnny Marr is on, but that's about it. That's honestly about all I like from MM really too, or at least what I've heard.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Anyone know if the Smiths will ever be getting back together?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:10 am

I can't remember if I mentioned that I got a promo of this a while back, but since the album isn't out until tomorrow, I hesitated to talk about it until now. Anyway, I'm curious if patient ot will agree with me when I say that the first track sounds SO much like The Sound, particularly the icy keyboard sounds. I wasn't expecting that, but it's really knocked me out. I hear The Rifles in this, too. I think he's a more confident singer now, too. Wonderful record. "Money Money" is such an obvious single, BTW.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 am

JGJR wrote:I can't remember if I mentioned that I got a promo of this a while back, but since the album isn't out until tomorrow, I hesitated to talk about it until now. Anyway, I'm curious if patient ot will agree with me when I say that the first track sounds SO much like The Sound, particularly the icy keyboard sounds. I wasn't expecting that, but it's really knocked me out. I hear The Rifles in this, too. I think he's a more confident singer now, too. Wonderful record. "Money Money" is such an obvious single, BTW.

The song is called "Easy Money". You're slippin'!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:42 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:I can't remember if I mentioned that I got a promo of this a while back, but since the album isn't out until tomorrow, I hesitated to talk about it until now. Anyway, I'm curious if patient ot will agree with me when I say that the first track sounds SO much like The Sound, particularly the icy keyboard sounds. I wasn't expecting that, but it's really knocked me out. I hear The Rifles in this, too. I think he's a more confident singer now, too. Wonderful record. "Money Money" is such an obvious single, BTW.

The song is called "Easy Money". You're slippin'!

:bag:

D'oh. Thanks.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:39 pm

I'll have to go back and listen to it. I'm hoping the CD shows up in the mail tomorrow, if not I'll probably have it by the end of the week.
patient_ot

Return to daghouse