7 seconds

7 seconds

Postby clash77 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:34 pm

So many ready to jerk off to this one..huh huh...............
clash77

Re: 7 seconds

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:14 pm

First LP is a classic. Still waiting for the official release of all of the demos. Not very excited about the most current release though.
lewdd

Postby tango fistula » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:12 am

Stopped caring once the U2 worship kicked in.

If you like U2 then yippie Kevin is your hero but the rest of us moved on.
tango fistula

Postby the mean » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:49 am

Great band.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:37 pm

tango fistula wrote:Stopped caring once the U2 worship kicked in.

This is such bullshit. Their "U2" period sounds more like mid-period Soul Asylum or something along those lines. Besides, New Wind and Ourselves are great albums!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:22 pm

JGJR wrote:

This is such bullshit. Their "U2" period sounds more like mid-period Soul Asylum or something along those lines. Besides, New Wind and Ourselves are great albums!

Agreed. Always liked New Wind.....didn't always like Ourselves until I pulled it out again earlier this year for the first time since the early 90s. My earbuds definitely changed. Will have to revisit Soulforce Revolution at some point. Always liked Out the Shizzy.

After that it becomes a bit academic since they "returned to the roots" after Shizzy and have just released a bunch of really good (not classic - but good) hardcore records.

The one thing I could never get into - and still can't - is the Praise 12".
captain2man

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:46 pm

My favorite is the "Old School" CD, which I believe makes up what was supposed to be their actual first album that got shelved until they re-recorded a bunch of the songs for the Crew.

Over the years, everyone has told me to give New Wind a chance, but I never did. I'll probably add it to my streaming que or something eventually.
patient_ot

Postby jason powell » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:20 pm

My favorite record was Rock Together followed by the Crew. Also fantastic was Soulforce Revolution. I love that record.
jason powell

Postby Stormy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:41 am

JGJR wrote:

New Wind is a "couple tracks" album
Walk Together is the pinnacle of their sound imo

like most bands, at this point it's just fucking silly
Stormy

Postby The Snake » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:41 am

Love early period, The Crew is my favorite, love also Walk Together, Rock Together.
On New Winds I like only couple of tracks as Stormy said. I did listen later 80´s and early 90´s stuff but could never got into it.
These days I don´t follow 7 Seconds newer stuff, they can´t pull off another The Crew so why bother.
The Snake

Postby tango fistula » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:52 am

Nope it's what these ears heard after seeing them about 8 times between 1983-88.

The change was obvious.

NEW WIND was a huge bummer to not just me when it came out and their shows changed to reflect that new material
and slowly continued in a pop rock direction.

I think M.I.A. did the brooding emotional rock thing better at the time.

I'm glad everyone loves their music unconditionally and Kevin can do no wrong and he's a nice guy blah blah I get it but
to these ears it sounds like pap.

Its just not GOOD pap.
tango fistula

Postby jaybird » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:25 am

JGJR wrote:

Exactly this. I never gave a fuck about their early "hardcore" stuff - shit sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:45 am

patient_ot wrote:My favorite is the "Old School" CD, which I believe makes up what was supposed to be their actual first album that got shelved until they re-recorded a bunch of the songs for the Crew.

Over the years, everyone has told me to give New Wind a chance, but I never did. I'll probably add it to my streaming que or something eventually.

Of their pre-New Wind material, this one (and to a lesser degree, Walk Together Rock Together) are the ones I've played the most over the years. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Had what was released as Old School by Cargo in the early '90s actually been released by AT after it was recorded, it would have been one of the best hardcore records ever. I think the versions on that blow away the ones on The Crew, honestly.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:47 am

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Agreed. Always liked New Wind.....didn't always like Ourselves until I pulled it out again earlier this year for the first time since the early 90s. My earbuds definitely changed. Will have to revisit Soulforce Revolution at some point. Always liked Out the Shizzy.

After that it becomes a bit academic since they "returned to the roots" after Shizzy and have just released a bunch of really good (not classic - but good) hardcore records.

The one thing I could never get into - and still can't - is the Praise 12".

I only heard Ourselves very recently, to be completely honest, but I don't think I would've liked it nearly as much as a kid.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:13 pm

I loved their U2 influenced albums. But then again, I moved forward, unlike the neanderthals who were still stuck in 82
xxxMidgexxx

Postby 77clash » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:55 pm

I just farted and smelled it. It was not so good. Not sure what I ate today.
77clash

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:21 pm

Prolly poop
xxxMidgexxx

Postby 77clash » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:40 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Prolly poop

Just checked. Still clean sheets.
77clash

Postby dave123 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:04 pm

I like most eras of 7 Seconds for different reasons. The early stuff is just classic positive hardcore. When things got poppy, I kind of lumped them in with the Doughboys, Field Day era Dag, second record Uniform Choice, etc. I have no problem with that stuff if you don't hold those records under the hardcore microscope. I need to check out Shizzy, as I heard it is not half bad. Some of Kev's early solo stuff is cool as well. I need to pick up the new record. They play down here on Oct. 30. I might just have to go.
dave123

Postby 77clash » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:08 pm

I have yet to see a bad 7 Seconds show no matter what the era they were in.
77clash

Postby Stormy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:06 am

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Exactly this. I never gave a fuck about their early "hardcore" stuff - shit sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

what the FUCK are you talking about
Stormy

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:32 am

tango fistula wrote:I think M.I.A. did the brooding emotional rock thing better at the time.

I won't argue about who's better, but After the Fact is a great and overlooked record.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:34 am

Stormy wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

The only record of theirs I ever felt that way about was The Crew. I never had an issue with the recording of any of the other hardcore-era records and love them all regardless. They were hardly the only band to record crummy-sounding (yet great) records back then.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:35 am

JGJR wrote:overlooked record.

That's getting to be an over-used term.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:45 am

Welly wrote:

Maybe, but it's true in this case. When M.I.A is mentioned, it's usually the stuff AT reissued like Murder in a Foreign Place or maybe it's in the context of preceding Big Drill Car (or they're confused with the Sri Lankan born rapper).
JGJR

Postby Welly » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:31 am

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:

Maybe, but it's true in this case. When M.I.A is mentioned, it's usually the stuff AT reissued like Murder in a Foreign Place or maybe it's in the context of preceding Big Drill Car (or they're confused with the Sri Lankan born rapper).

So, overlooked in the context of 'now' then?
Welly

Postby lewdd » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:40 am

I think it would be cool to see a festival with bands from Not So Quiet on the Western Front.
lewdd

Postby patient_ot » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:38 am

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:My favorite is the "Old School" CD, which I believe makes up what was supposed to be their actual first album that got shelved until they re-recorded a bunch of the songs for the Crew.

Of their pre-New Wind material, this one (and to a lesser degree, Walk Together Rock Together) are the ones I've played the most over the years. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Had what was released as Old School by Cargo in the early '90s actually been released by AT after it was recorded, it would have been one of the best hardcore records ever. I think the versions on that blow away the ones on The Crew, honestly.

Absolutely agree. Blew my mind when I first heard it as teenager getting into punk and hardcore.
patient_ot

Postby the mean » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:24 am

lewdd wrote:I think it would be cool to see a festival with bands from Not So Quiet on the Western Front.

I wonder what percentage of people in those bands are still alive.
the mean

Postby 77clash » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:03 pm

the mean wrote:
lewdd wrote:I think it would be cool to see a festival with bands from Not So Quiet on the Western Front.

Thinking about the passing of the MIA singer led me to the thought of the festival. 7 Seconds could play.
77clash

Postby the mean » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:44 pm

77clash wrote:
the mean wrote:

Thinking about the passing of the MIA singer led me to the thought of the festival. 7 Seconds could play.

That's one band that I could confirm off the top of my head all the members who played on that song are alive (Kev/Steve/Bix.)
the mean

Postby Chris Shary » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Actually a Let Them Eat Jellybeans fest would be easier (not as many bands) and pretty killer as well.
Chris Shary

Postby dave123 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:35 pm

77clash wrote:I have yet to see a bad 7 Seconds show no matter what the era they were in.

Rectify this situation. I saw them in the '80s and in the 2010's and they have yet to let me down.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:47 pm

JGJR wrote:After the Fact is a great and overlooked record.

I can't agree more. Early MIA is classic but the addition of Daly and Arnold created a really cool record with After the Fact. I have yet to hear something that those two put their hands on that wasn't good. I had the cassette for years and used to play it for melodic hardcore "aficionados" who would literally be so mad that they didn't know what it was and that it was so good.
dave123

Postby crus » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:06 pm

Stormy wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

He's saying he thinks the early hardcore stuff sucks. Opinions, man.
crus

Postby Stormy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:25 pm

crus wrote:
Stormy wrote:
jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

He's saying he thinks the early hardcore stuff sucks. Opinions, man.

I'm all for opinions. But compared to the recording quality of tons of early '80s HC records (lots of which i consider classics), the early 7 Seconds stuff sounds fine. All of it. I'd be curious as to this "vacuum cleaner" recording mentioned, because to me that sounds appealing. It's fucking hardcore for christ sake
Stormy

Postby The Snake » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:15 pm

I grew up with The Crew LP in 90´s and heard Old School for the first time in 2003. so I still like The Crew better, sorry.
The Snake

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:02 am

I'm Vacuumcleanercore all the way. The more generic and shittier production the better.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:53 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:

So, overlooked in the context of 'now' then?

Both at the time (to the best of my understanding) but especially now. It's been OOP forever and is in dire need of a reissue (as is M.I.A.'s prior album and heck, their entire catalog; not even sure if Lost Boys is in print anymore). And few seems to talk about it.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:55 am

Chris Shary wrote:Actually a Let Them Eat Jellybeans fest would be easier (not as many bands) and pretty killer as well.

Oh absolutely. I'd fly (assuming it would be on the West Coast) or drive to that in a second if I could, but the likelihood of a (real) DKs or Really Red or Circle Jerks or Black Flag (with Ginn) reunion are about the same as The Smiths or The Jam or Husker Du getting back together.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:04 am

JGJR wrote:Both at the time (to the best of my understanding) but especially now. It's been OOP forever and is in dire need of a reissue (as is M.I.A.'s prior album and heck, their entire catalog; not even sure if Lost Boys is in print anymore). And few seems to talk about it.

Well it came out on Flipside, so people who were following MIA bought that record. And if they didn't, then that was probably due to the relatively average second LP on National Trust.

Copies of After the Fact re-appeared about 10 years ago. I don't know if a lot of dead stock was found, but they reappeared for a while around about the same time as the Lost Boys record.

I think the Lost Boys record sold OK. I ran a history of M.I.A. before that came out, the guitarist Nick is the historian of that band.

M.I.A. - great band.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:05 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:Both at the time (to the best of my understanding) but especially now. It's been OOP forever and is in dire need of a reissue (as is M.I.A.'s prior album and heck, their entire catalog; not even sure if Lost Boys is in print anymore). And few seems to talk about it.

Well it came out on Flipside, so people who were following MIA bought that record. And if they didn't, then that was probably due to the relatively average second LP on National Trust.

Copies of After the Fact re-appeared about 10 years ago. I don't know if a lot of dead stock was found, but they reappeared for a while around about the same time as the Lost Boys record.

I think the Lost Boys record sold OK. I ran a history of M.I.A. before that came out, the guitarist Nick is the historian of that band.

M.I.A. - great band.

I did see a copy of After the Fact a few years ago for $20 at my favorite local store, but didn't buy it. I wish I had, though!
JGJR

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:17 am

JGJR wrote:I did see a copy of After the Fact a few years ago for $20 at my favorite local store, but didn't buy it. I wish I had, though!

Not hard to find for cheaper than that.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:20 am

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:I did see a copy of After the Fact a few years ago for $20 at my favorite local store, but didn't buy it. I wish I had, though!

Not hard to find for cheaper than that.

Yeah, I know, but I'm always hesitant to go the eBay route unless I want something really badly. I figure I'll just see it around at some point and then snag it (hopefully).
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:22 am

Fun fact about "After the Fact", has two members of Big Drill Car in it. I think Frank even sings a song on it? Been a while since I listened.
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:23 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Fun fact about "After the Fact", has two members of Big Drill Car in it. I think Frank even sings a song on it? Been a while since I listened.

Yep Daly and Arnold FTW, but that is the only real connection between M.I.A. and BDC AFAIK. They definitely make a huge difference, as you said. Confession time: The only BDC I've ever heard is Batch. I like it quite a bit, but never heard their other stuff.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:48 am

Yeah, I like plenty of crappy-sounding, lo-fi punk records from the 80s. The "vacuum-cleaner" bit is mostly in reference to the oompa-oompa/polka-beat hardcore on the early records. Shit gets very tiring to listen to after two or three songs. Someone else pointed out, The Crew is the main record I'm thinking of here, but WT, RT has it's share of that style as well.

Steve Youth's bass-playing on the late 80s stuff is some of my favorite playing on any records ever.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:12 am

jaybird wrote:Yeah, I like plenty of crappy-sounding, lo-fi punk records from the 80s. The "vacuum-cleaner" bit is mostly in reference to the oompa-oompa/polka-beat hardcore on the early records. Shit gets very tiring to listen to after two or three songs. Someone else pointed out, The Crew is the main record I'm thinking of here, but WT, RT has it's share of that style as well.

Steve Youth's bass-playing on the late 80s stuff is some of my favorite playing on any records ever.

Kevin still does that one in his solo sets like when I saw him with only 3 other people at the side chapel of the First Unitarian Church here in 2009 or 2010.
JGJR

Postby wALLton » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:00 am

JGJR wrote:
jaybird wrote:Yeah, I like plenty of crappy-sounding, lo-fi punk records from the 80s. The "vacuum-cleaner" bit is mostly in reference to the oompa-oompa/polka-beat hardcore on the early records. Shit gets very tiring to listen to after two or three songs. Someone else pointed out, The Crew is the main record I'm thinking of here, but WT, RT has it's share of that style as well.

Kevin still does that one in his solo sets like when I saw him with only 3 other people at the side chapel of the First Unitarian Church here in 2009 or 2010.

Yeah, this seems to be the only song to make it out of the "U2 era", and not just in Kevin's solo live sets. Not sure what makes this more "hardcore" than all the other songs from those albums, but it's still great to hear it when they play it.

As for not hearing any Big Drill Car apart from Batch, you need to rectify this. Batch is one of the weaker ones in my opinion. CD/Record/Tape type thing and Small Block being the better albums (again, only in my opinion, though I believe I have heard it is shared by many).
wALLton

Postby Gary » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:22 am

Old School is easily my favourite 7 Seconds release. I'm not at all bothered by any of the last bunch of releases.
Gary

Next

Return to daghouse