poison idea

poison idea

Postby clash77 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:33 pm

clash77

Re: poison idea

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Never really listened to this band. For some reason, they were not a big name in Eastern PA in the 80's.
lewdd

Postby akissfan » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:06 am

Feel The Darkness. Great album.
akissfan

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:31 am

Killer group.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Kilelr band, brutality gods!
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby MJH » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:55 pm

Had me hooked the second I first heard Pick Your King - one of the very few bands to escape the "hardcore" tag with their tunes and dignity intact. I still have and cherish my vinyl PI collection.
MJH

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:59 pm

Great band and yeah they got better as they went along IMO. I think they peaked with War All the Time and the Ian MacKaye EP. Two great, great hardcore records.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby The Snake » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:33 pm

I also like War All the Time which is kind of strange to some because everyone else are into Record Collectors or Kings of Punk.
But, Pick Your King is still the best, the rest I´m not such a fan (except for early demos and mentioned War All the Time).
Last edited by The Snake on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Snake

Postby MJH » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:49 pm

The Snake wrote:I also like War All the Time which is kid of strange to some

the first record to feature Thee Slayer Hippy on drums...not strange to me! :)
MJH

Postby captain2man » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Hard to conceive of a more crushing hardcore song than Hangover Heart Attack.
captain2man

Postby patient_ot » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:40 pm

I bought War All the Time and Feel the Darkness in the past year, previous to that I only paid attention to their early stuff. Those two albums are good, have them on deck to listen to soon.

Tip: don't buy the FTD CD on Epitaph...it's a burned CDR. Took mine back to the shop and ordered a real copy somewhere else.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:51 am

captain2man wrote:Hard to conceive of a more crushing hardcore song than Hangover Heart Attack.

Good choice, but what about "Burned for the Last Time" on the same record? They have dozens of songs that could be described that way, though.
JGJR

Postby worldismyfuse » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:04 pm

War All the Time and Feel the Darkness are my two favorites.
JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:Hard to conceive of a more crushing hardcore song than Hangover Heart Attack.

Good choice, but what about "Burned for the Last Time" on the same record? They have dozens of songs that could be described that way, though.

Discontent - crushing, raging.
worldismyfuse

Postby dave123 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:33 pm

I grew up in a Poison Idea ignoring scene for the most part as well. I had Kings of Punk when it came out and was sort of alone among my friends regarding this band. They weren't haters but they weren't feeling it. Feel the Darkness is still my fave. Latest Will and Testament should not be ignored just because it came out later. I was pleasantly surprised by that record.
dave123

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:05 am

dave123 wrote:I grew up in a Poison Idea ignoring scene for the most part as well. I had Kings of Punk when it came out and was sort of alone among my friends regarding this band. They weren't haters but they weren't feeling it. Feel the Darkness is still my fave. Latest Will and Testament should not be ignored just because it came out later. I was pleasantly surprised by that record.

true about latest will. i don't think most ppl know about that album, or that pig is on it frankly. i think they had been written off by the time that came out. too bad Jerry A continues to piss all over the legacy of the band. i can't even keep up with who is the band right now, and former members freely tell their horror stories of what being part of PI was like. still, one of the few hardcore bands where i can honestly say i love all of their albums.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:19 am

Fuck it.
Last edited by Welly on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:33 am

Welly wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:i can't even keep up with who is the band right now, and former members freely tell their horror stories of what being part of PI was like.

I know what that's like.

There's two sides to every 'story'.

well, these pretty much all go back to Jerry A and his drug and alcohol struggles. this year he was picking up a new member every month or so. they were heavily advertising "first female member" of PI on their facebook page and she was gone after 2 months or something. i know he threw up in the drummer's gear bag two hours before a gig once. i think he is hard to deal with.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:55 am

Fuck it.
Welly

Postby 77clash » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:17 am

Welly wrote:It's funny though isn't it, how these 'stories' are told to absolutely anyone who will listen, by disgruntled ex-members of bands, who either left or were booted out, but always due to the fault of the remaining members?

Surely, none of that stuff ever happened in Four Letter Word.
77clash

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:40 am

Welly wrote:It's funny though isn't it, how these 'stories' are told to absolutely anyone who will listen, by disgruntled ex-members of bands, who either left or were booted out, but always due to the fault of the remaining members?

the person who told me was up front about everything and the info was unsolicited. he was never a big fan and knew he was a hired gun going into it. he also said it came down more to having different ideas of what was acceptable behavior in a band and ultimately he just felt PI was milking the cash cow for all it was worth. i think the drinking/drug shit was just another reason to leave. he made it clear he didn't have ill will towards Jerry though. living in PDX, you meet a lot of people who have been in the band. i always take everything with a grain of salt, but in this case Jerry is known to have some very bad faults. by all accounts he is a nice guy, but not that much fan to be in a band with, esp on the road. last time i saw them they were solid for the first half of the show but slipped over the fine line of very drunk to totally wasted and the last 20 minutes of the set was a train wreck. the guitar player's amp got fucked up and that didn't help matters either.
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:58 am

Fuck it.
Last edited by Welly on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby Welly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:36 am

Fuck it.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:48 am

worldismyfuse wrote:Discontent - crushing, raging.

So much this.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:45 am

New video from a new EP:

captain2man

Postby SamDBL » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:13 pm

Pretty sure they are my favorite hardcore band of all time. I worked with Jerry on the same release that I did a song with stab on. He was totally cool, albeit a little scattered. I had to leave messages with ex girlfriends and various drinking establishments and wait for a call back, as I don't think he had an actual place to live at the time. It took a long time for him to do his overdubs. But he did come through in the end. Unlike a few other 'legends' I was trying to get together with at the time. Turns out having them book recoding time at local studios, and then actually showing up to record on time and then figuring out how to mail recorded material is a monumental task for most aging punkers.
SamDBL

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 pm

SamDBL wrote:Pretty sure they are my favorite hardcore band of all time. I worked with Jerry on the same release that I did a song with stab on. He was totally cool, albeit a little scattered. I had to leave messages with ex girlfriends and various drinking establishments and wait for a call back, as I don't think he had an actual place to live at the time. It took a long time for him to do his overdubs. But he did come through in the end. Unlike a few other 'legends' I was trying to get together with at the time. Turns out having them book recoding time at local studios, and then actually showing up to record on time and then figuring out how to mail recorded material is a monumental task for most aging punkers.

I've heard the same thing re: Jerry. Someone I know who toured with them said the same thing re: calling his wife or girlfriend and her telling him to call his favorite bar to reach him there. I found out not that long ago that he's a big Smiths/Morrissey fan.
JGJR

Postby akissfan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:39 pm

I read somewhere that Steve "Thee Slayer Hippy" Hanford is out of prison and doing well. I think I read he was going to fill in on drums with Toe Tag as well as playing with his new band. Would like to hear them, he is an AWESOME drummer!
akissfan

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:59 pm

akissfan wrote:I read somewhere that Steve "Thee Slayer Hippy" Hanford is out of prison and doing well. I think I read he was going to fill in on drums with Toe Tag as well as playing with his new band. Would like to hear them, he is an AWESOME drummer!

I think he just played with Toe Tag for one show, I don't know if that's a permanent thing or not. I put a couple of Toe Tag songs off their last record on my Daghouse mix.

I saw Poison Idea for the first time in spring of 2015. Jerry A was quite overweight then but it was still a great show. It seems he dropped a lot pounds shortly after. If it wasn't from drugs, good for him.
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby akissfan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:09 pm

Jimmy Heartburn wrote:I think he just played with Toe Tag for one show, I don't know if that's a permanent thing or not. I put a couple of Toe Tag songs off their last record on my Daghouse mix.

He was just filling in with Toe Tag. He's in a band called IT (at least that what the flyer said).
akissfan

Postby clash77 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:28 pm

2 yr old post Brent☺..Glad I touched so many with my superior taste in music..Expected..
clash77

Postby captain2man » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:20 am

clash77 wrote:2 yr old post Brent☺..Glad I touched so many with my superior taste in music..Expected..

I didn't want to start a new thread to post the new P.I. video....and besides, can there ever be enough Poison Idea worship?
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:37 pm

captain2man wrote:
clash77 wrote:2 yr old post Brent☺..Glad I touched so many with my superior taste in music..Expected..

I didn't want to start a new thread to post the new P.I. video....and besides, can there ever be enough Poison Idea worship?

Right? I've loved 'em since I first heard them in '91.
JGJR

Postby Markonomicon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:39 pm

captain2man wrote:New video from a new EP:

Holy shit, Mickey Widmer SUCKS.

He sucks ass here and sucked ass when I saw him with the Accused AD.

Terrible drummer.

No idea how he landed these gigs.

Plays with these cute little drummer gloves, yet hits like he plays with twigs.
Markonomicon

Postby Markonomicon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:41 pm

Pick Your King through Feel The Darkness is all grade A hardcore/punk.

Maybe 4 or 5 songs on Blank Blackout Vacant and 2 on We Must Burn.

1 on the Last Will And Testament and ZERO on that Confuse & Conquer with the other terrible drummer.
Markonomicon

Postby SamDBL » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:42 pm

Markonomicon wrote:Pick Your King through Feel The Darkness is all grade A hardcore/punk.

1 on the Last Will And Testament and ZERO on that Confuse & Conquer with the other terrible drummer.

I agree. I was always confused as to why the albums subsequent Feel The Darkness took such a drop, even with the same incredible line up. I also could never put my finger on what wasn’t as good about them. BBV specifically was definitely *good*. It just paled in comparison to FTD.

This might be the only band that’d give Minor Threat a run for their money as being my #1 all time hardcore band.
SamDBL

Postby Markonomicon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:11 pm

SamDBL wrote:
Markonomicon wrote:Pick Your King through Feel The Darkness is all grade A hardcore/punk.

I agree. I was always confused as to why the albums subsequent Feel The Darkness took such a drop, even with the same incredible line up. I also could never put my finger on what wasn’t as good about them. BBV specifically was definitely *good*. It just paled in comparison to FTD.

This might be the only band that’d give Minor Threat a run for their money as being my #1 all time hardcore band.

Probably a combination of post-bender burnout, writer's block, and laziness.

Jerry seems to be in a lot better health the last few years, though. Good for him. The way they lived, they should have all died several times over from the excess.

My buddy is good friends with David Wilds, who was their manager, and is friends with Jerry as well.

They were bigtime doped out when they wrote/recorded BBV, according to Jerry.
Markonomicon

Return to daghouse