Anything Fun to do in Columbus Ohio?

Anything Fun to do in Columbus Ohio?

Postby johnnotkathi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:33 am

......?
johnnotkathi

Re: Anything Fun to do in Columbus Ohio?

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:32 am

i was there once briefly in 96 when my sister was looking at colleges. there was cool punk record store, it was in the basement of a building and i believe it was across the street from ohio state. can't remember the name though. i remember there were steakhouses everywhere as well as fast food places. they test out new products there before launching them across the U.S. i have been told by several people that it is a cool town, but my time was limited there. from what i have seen of ohio, it is by far the best thing going there.

edit-this looks like the store. seems like all of the "hip" record stores are in the college area.

http://www.usedkidsrecords.com/
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Hal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:00 am

Every time I visit my brother in Columbus I always hit this joint...

http://thethurmancafe.com/

Also, the zoo is very impressive, if you're into that kind of thing.
Hal

Postby worldismyfuse » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:20 am

The record store you are thinking of is Used Kids. Years ago, that building caught fire and the basement Used Kids location had to move. (Interesting side note, Used Kids put their damaged records on the curb, and a friend of mine found a original copy of Die Kreuzen's "Cows and Beer" and it only had a bit of a smoke smell.)
Used Kids is still around, and still the best record store in town (IMO). It's on the 2nd floor of a building next to the old spot. Lost Weekend, Magnolia Thunderpussy (for new stuff) are a couple other record stores. (And there is an Urban Outfitters too, if you want to experience the world's biggest record store ;)

As far as non-record shopping - Columbus has lots of great neighborhoods and lots of great restaurants, and, apparently, is the #4 shopping city in America (?). German Village, Short North, Clintonville, Olde Town East, Grandview are some of the different hoods with food and shopping and bars and whatnot. Downtown is ok, mostly for restaurants.
I say avoid OSU campus because it's awful, but that's me. (However, the Wexner Center for the Arts usually has something interesting going on).

Not sure exactly what you are looking for but, I live in Columbus (Worthington, excactly) and think it's a great city.

Here is a helpful website: www.columbusunderground.com

Hopefully this is a little helpful. Let me know if you are looking for something specific.
worldismyfuse

Postby johnnotkathi » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. I am downtown for business and will have to see if I can sneak away for a bit and check out other areas......lots of spots for a cold beer - so that is good and restaurants everywhere.....

Am open to meet Dagsters for a beer (or beverage of choice) if I can break away.
johnnotkathi

Postby the mean » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Hit me up. I work downtown. Lunch?
the mean

Return to daghouse