venice scene reprints

venice scene reprints

Postby Michele » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:43 pm

so it looks like we will have a pair of great reprints directly from the early Venice scene, I mean No Mercy album on Suicidal Records and Excel "Split image" on Southern Lord (with demos and compliation tracks). Both on vinyl and cd.
What do you think of those records? I remember being a huge fan of the Venice scene as Painted on Welcome To Venice and stillg ot a lot of memorabilia from that period. and you?
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Re: venice scene reprints

Postby dave123 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:22 pm

Big fan of both of those records and the whole early Venice/ST scene in general. They were a big influence on my group of friends growing up. Them and the Alva team were a big influence on us during that time period. I had the No Mercy LP on cassette and played that thing to death. I almost liked it more than the first ST album. The Excel LP received a lot of spins as well. I remember meeting the singer from Excel on one my first skate trips to LA as a teenager. He was hanging out at some record store with Mario Rubalcaba who was skating for Alva at the time. I have no idea what they thought of some weird skater kid from Canada saying hello. Later we were skating in Venice, and they showed up there as well. Great day. I even had the exact pair of low top Vans that guitar player used to wear (low tops in black suede with brass eyelets and blue soles; those things were tough to find in the '80s; I had to go to the factory in CA). I know... full on dork, but I was a huge fan. A regular pair of black low tops would not suffice. I am stoked that someone is putting out the No Mercy thing, as my old tape couldn't hang with the abuse. I was also big into Beowulf.
dave123

Postby Neal » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:14 am

Is the no mercy reissue actually going to see the light of day? They've been promising that one forever. I have a great flac rip of that. And aren't the previous excel reissues still in print?

I love suicidal and those old venice bands. I think the first beowulf is my fave after suicidal. It's a shame those reissues weren't that great. I got the cassette copy of excel's "the joke's on you" by getting a subscription to thrasher. And my friends and i got caught stealing tapes one time and i had to give back the only copy of no mercy's album that i came across for years.
Neal

Postby Michele » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 am

yes, No Mercy is going to be out on Mike's bday:
http://www.earsplitcompound.com/site/2014/09/22/no-mercy-suicidal-records-to-re-release-widespread-bloodshed-love-runs-red-from-legendary-crossover-act/
while, Southern Lord is going out with Excel right by now:
https://www.southernlord.com/bands/view/excel
I still have a load of Venice and Dogtown memorabilia coming from Jacopo and mine collection: stickers, tapes, flyers and also a No Mercy Tshirt. We had interviews with Suicidal Tendencies and No mercy on our first zine back in 87 and were so excited to receive an envelpe back from Venice with ST answers. I still owe a lot of this stuff and so excited to have those reprints out.
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Return to daghouse