The Origin of Chuck Biscuits?

The Origin of Chuck Biscuits?

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:02 pm

I was listening to the album Something/Anything by Todd Rundgren and this song comes on called "Piss Aaron". It's this quasi-Zappa goof about all the idiots in the singer's high school. There's the aforementioned Piss Aaron, and Dumb Larry and then there's Chuck Biscuits, "the biggest pig in all the school."
So, I ask you folks who know more about this than me - did Chuck really take his 'punker' name from a Todd Rundgren song??!!

(I mean, I guess I could check Wikipedia but this is more fun).
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: The Origin of Chuck Biscuits?

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:33 pm

I wonder. If so that's pretty darn funny.

Sidenote: My aunt is obsessed w/ Todd Rundgren. Must've seen him play in concert 100 times and has attended his "rock camp" or whatever he does in upstate NY.

She's played me a few songs I've enjoyed, is the album you refer to in this post a good starting point?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:44 pm

gregpolard wrote:She's played me a few songs I've enjoyed, is the album you refer to in this post a good starting point?

It is widely considered his best record. He's all over the map, style wise. But he's written some really beautiful pop songs and is an amazing guitar player who goes off on these wild, psychedelic tangents. You can hear his influence on Prince, if that kinda stuff floats your boat.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:50 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:She's played me a few songs I've enjoyed, is the album you refer to in this post a good starting point?

It is widely considered his best record. He's all over the map, style wise. But he's written some really beautiful pop songs and is an amazing guitar player who goes off on these wild, psychedelic tangents. You can hear his influence on Prince, if that kinda stuff floats your boat.

I love Prince so you have me sold. I'll have to investigate, TY
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:35 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

I love Prince so you have me sold. I'll have to investigate, TY

I agree with what scannest wrote, but will add that Hall and Oates are often cited as similar stylistically though until recently Rundgren got a lot more critical respect and he's generally been WAY more experimental. I don't know his catalog well at all, though. I love his productions for XTC, The Psychedelic Furs, New York Dolls, Patti Smith and others (oh Cheap Trick, too). The records he produced are really great, but are always one-offs.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:13 am

JGJR wrote:I love his productions for XTC, The Psychedelic Furs, New York Dolls, Patti Smith and others (oh Cheap Trick, too). The records he produced are really great, but are always one-offs.

You left off his greatest "one-off" of all time - Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell. For my money, it is easily one of the best 'classic' rock records EVAH.

And he did 2 NY Dolls records. Easy enough to forget the second one (although not half bad at all).
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:20 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I love his productions for XTC, The Psychedelic Furs, New York Dolls, Patti Smith and others (oh Cheap Trick, too). The records he produced are really great, but are always one-offs.

You left off his greatest "one-off" of all time - Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell. For my money, it is easily one of the best 'classic' rock records EVAH.

And he did 2 NY Dolls records. Easy enough to forget the second one (although not half bad at all).

Bat Out Of Hell does indeed kick ass. Good call.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:37 am

scannest wrote:

Which one? Did he do one of the reunion records and I forgot or didn't know? Shadow Morton produced the second one. And yeah I know he produced it, but sorry, I didn't list because I'm not a fan of Bat Out of Hell. At all. I get why it's popular and I don't hate it or anything, but just not for me. So that's why I don't think of it automatically like I did with the Dolls, Cheap Trick, Furs, Patti Smith, XTC, etc. I like the Pursuit of Happiness record he did, too!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Bat Out Of Hell does indeed kick ass. Good call.

You too? I dunno. I love Meat Loaf in Rocky Horror and Fight Club, but musically (other than the Rocky Horror soundtrack) not so much.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:11 am

meatloaf was one of the guys who when you saw the album as a kid you thought he was some kind of bass ass metal guy. when you finally heard the record it was a whole different story.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Return to daghouse