New Bl'ast! story, interview

Re: New Bl'ast! story, interview

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:46 am

Matschy wrote:Scientific fact #2: Unlike the case that's discussed here, Denko and me are two separate persons.

;)

I overlaid your posts with Denko's and they matched to a startling degree.

Case closed.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:47 am

I can't believe you flipped it.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby tad ghostal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:05 am

I just got the CD and to me the performances, except for the some of the guitar stuff, sounds exactly the same. I'm no legal expert, but can a band just take the original album, add instrumentation, and release it on another label without legal ramifications? SST still sells the original album and I've heard that Greg is very non-cooperative about licensing out old SST stuff so I'd be surprised if they got the ok from him.
tad ghostal

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:26 am

Hence the bullshit about it being some lost session. Best case scenario, it's a remix/remaster using some previously unused guitar tracks. Worst case scenario, it's a remaster with recent overdubs. My uneducated guess is that they wanted to do a straight reissue, but Ginn cock-blocked them, so they created this bullshit story to do it without his cooperation. It does sound really good, regardless.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:29 am

Matschy wrote:I just lined up the "original" version of tomorrow with the "new" one with the help of a sequencer.

The result: Exept for the mix they are identical. period!

check this out:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfmaa1kp2ax9w ... arison.mp3

those are exerpts from the beginning where you can hear me changing back an forth between the versions.
i then jumped to the end of the track to demonstrate that they are perfectly in sync. no doubt that this IS
the same recording!

case closed - at least for me!

i'll have to listen to it later, but thanks for making it. in the end, i have more beef with SL trying to push it as something new and the band and label being so mysterious about it from the get go and doing a lot of things to push this idea upon people.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:30 am

version sound wrote:Hence the bullshit about it being some lost session. Best case scenario, it's a remix/remaster using some previously unused guitar tracks. Worst case scenario, it's a remaster with recent overdubs. My uneducated guess is that they wanted to do a straight reissue, but Ginn cock-blocked them, so they created this bullshit story to do it without his cooperation. It does sound really good, regardless.

have you listened to the 7 inch? is it the same tracks as the school's out ep? i was bummed they didn't include it in the download.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 am

I haven't. I bet they're 100% the same as the previously released versions, which I could live without.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 am

version sound wrote:I haven't. I bet they're 100% the same as the previously released versions, which I could live without.

if you check it out, post here, as i cannot play the record.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 am

If I order the cd version from SL, will I get a digital download of it for free?
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:16 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:If I order the cd version from SL, will I get a digital download of it for free?

ha, are you serious? i guess, but that would seem illogical. if you want the mp3s, pm me and ill send em.
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:24 am

yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:If I order the cd version from SL, will I get a digital download of it for free?

ha, are you serious? i guess, but that would seem illogical. if you want the mp3s, pm me and ill send em.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm wondering whether they would immediately give me a download upon placing my order, like Amazon's Auto-Rip.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm wondering whether they would immediately give me a download upon placing my order, like Amazon's Auto-Rip.

i ordered the lp and they didn't send the code until sept 3rd when it came out officially, but i imagine you would get if the same or next day.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:34 am

So just to clarify:

1) Is there anything cool inside the album? Liner notes? Lots of pics?

2) What's the tracklisting for the additional 7"?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:39 am

gregpolard wrote:So just to clarify:

1) Is there anything cool inside the album? Liner notes? Lots of pics?

2) What's the tracklisting for the additional 7"?

i know school's out on one side, i forget what is on the other side. the album does indeed look cool. picture insert, gatefold, and a poster of the artwork(huge in size) .
yourenotevil

Postby pedro » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:46 am

"Your Eyes" and a cover of the Germs' "The Slave" are on the B-Side.

EDIT: As expected by most, I have no interest in ever hearing this record.
Hello.
pedro

Postby tad ghostal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:00 pm

version sound wrote:Hence the bullshit about it being some lost session. Best case scenario, it's a remix/remaster using some previously unused guitar tracks. Worst case scenario, it's a remaster with recent overdubs. My uneducated guess is that they wanted to do a straight reissue, but Ginn cock-blocked them, so they created this bullshit story to do it without his cooperation. It does sound really good, regardless.

This is what I kinda figured, too. Southern Lord wants to reissue all the albums so I wonder what stories they concoct for the other 2 records.
tad ghostal

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Coming in January 2014: "Expression" unearthed from a long lost recording session for the first LP

Followed by April 2014: "Ride". More of the same.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 pm

pedro wrote:"Your Eyes" and a cover of the Germs' "The Slave" are on the B-Side.

EDIT: As expected by most, I have no interest in ever hearing this record.

I think it's just "The Slave". If not, the other one isn't listed on the label.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:32 pm

gregpolard wrote:Coming in January 2014: "Expression" unearthed from a long lost recording session for the first LP

i believe the first is the boner sessions, which i think they have talked about doing. i heard the ride tapes were lost, so i have no idea what that is going to be. you think ginn would be able to see past this and would prolly have a legit case in court.also, where did you see this posted?
yourenotevil

Postby tad ghostal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:53 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Coming in January 2014: "Expression" unearthed from a long lost recording session for the first LP

i believe the first is the boner sessions, which i think they have talked about doing. i heard the ride tapes were lost, so i have no idea what that is going to be. you think ginn would be able to see past this and would prolly have a legit case in court.also, where did you see this posted?

I think Greg's post was a joke, but I agree with you that you'd think Ginn would be able to recognize what's going on. He might not be aware of it, though. He's already involved in a couple lawsuits that, I'm sure, are harshing his buzz.
tad ghostal

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:03 pm

It was def a joke. I was proud of it. Still am :)

But yeah...does SST still actually sell the Bl'ast! records? I know they have an "It's In My Blood" t shirt but I couldn't find any music on the site, because I too was curious.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:03 pm

tad ghostal wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

I think Greg's post was a joke, but I agree with you that you'd think Ginn would be able to recognize what's going on. He might not be aware of it, though. He's already involved in a couple lawsuits that, I'm sure, are harshing his buzz.

man, honestly i would expect that from them at this point. i know they were thinking bout doing the boner sessions, so i thought he was being serious.

my guess is that they approached ginn and got denied. they were always going to do this blood record, but i heard this was just an intro to doing the whole box set of the 3 lps. the first press sold out(only 500), so i guess is there is some interest.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Looks like they have the CD's. but maybe not the vinyl unless I wasn't looking the right way.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:05 pm

gregpolard wrote:It was def a joke. I was proud of it. Still am :)

But yeah...does SST still actually sell the Bl'ast! records? I know they have an "It's In My Blood" t shirt but I couldn't find any music on the site, because I too was curious.

yeah, they have the cds of the 3 albums up, but no vinyl. i remember they were out of print a few years ago though since i had a somewhat hard time finding manic ride on cd, and had to get it used.
yourenotevil

Postby tad ghostal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:07 pm

gregpolard wrote:It was def a joke. I was proud of it. Still am :)

Yeah, they're on SST's awful website but I think you can only find them by clicking the "Bands" link and finding Bl'ast. I was actually looking yesterday because I was curious about how much the t-shirt costs and when I used their search box the shirt was the only thing that came up.

Edit: I should say the CDs are up, I didn't realize you were looking for vinyl
tad ghostal

Postby Michele » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 pm

so, my smelling shit wasn't that wrong all in all :D
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Michele » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:02 am

posted on facebook by Southern lord:
Southern Lord does NOT put download code coupons inside the vinyl we release. PERIOD. The artists and the label envision you digesting the release completely pure, on a real stereo and without the mundane digital distractions of modern technology. Plus your earbuds and your computer speakers suck and cant truly playback the album as we sonically intended. However we do make one exception: if you order the physical album via bandcamp you will automatically receive the digital files. So if its absolutely necessary for you to have the album digitally then buy it there. Now let the fucking bitching and whining commence.....
(also if you have a fucking killer car with a bitching sound system you can send us a picture of you and your car and the stereo and we may consider it.)
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:47 am

Michele wrote:posted on facebook by Southern lord:
Southern Lord does NOT put download code coupons inside the vinyl we release. PERIOD. The artists and the label envision you digesting the release completely pure, on a real stereo and without the mundane digital distractions of modern technology. Plus your earbuds and your computer speakers suck and cant truly playback the album as we sonically intended. However we do make one exception: if you order the physical album via bandcamp you will automatically receive the digital files. So if its absolutely necessary for you to have the album digitally then buy it there. Now let the fucking bitching and whining commence.....
(also if you have a fucking killer car with a bitching sound system you can send us a picture of you and your car and the stereo and we may consider it.)

except they sell their releases on itunes. this label is pretty full of shit.
yourenotevil

Postby Matschy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:54 am

yourenotevil wrote:

OMG!

I just hope they ran this contradictionary statement through Dave Grohls Neve console twice to make it fatter...

:roll:
Matschy

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:57 am

Matschy wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

OMG!

I just hope they ran this contradictionary statement through Dave Grohls Neve console twice to make it fatter...

:roll:

why make some big speech about download codes if they sell their shit on itunes? not putting DL codes in records in 2013 is fucking bunk, especially for a bigger label like SL. they also sell and license cds from other labels like TKO for the poison idea stuff so TKO can't put a DL code in with the record. greg anderson also thinks trash talk is a brilliant hardcore band. just sayin...
yourenotevil

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:39 am

This has all played out very disapointingly. Glad I didn't get suckered into buying it now.
Gary

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:49 am

As I said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in the market for a IIMB remaster. I only own that record on MP3, so I'm happy having this on vinyl. If they officially reissue IIMB, I'll pass, because I basically already have it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Michele » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:44 pm

version sound wrote:As I said, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're in the market for a IIMB remaster. I only own that record on MP3, so I'm happy having this on vinyl. If they officially reissue IIMB, I'll pass, because I basically already have it.

enough said.
btw, being an early fan of Southern Lord and having witnessed their evolution, I'm quite confused by some of their newest steps and choices. Still, I'm guessing they have a reason for such statements and releases. I had the opportunity to talk with Greg and to be in touch with him few years ago and he Always demonstrates a nice person and a passionate listener, so I really would like to know the reason behind this.
Michele

Previous

Return to daghouse