New Bl'ast! story, interview

New Bl'ast! story, interview

Postby creature » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:23 am

creature

Re: New Bl'ast! story, interview

Postby gregpolard » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:08 pm

That was awesome! Thanks, creature
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 pm

very cool story. Bl'ast are my all-time fave of pure HC bands but I only got to see them once. I hope this gets them to tour the East Coast......
drew

Postby version sound » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:28 pm

BREAKING NEWS: I like Bl'ast better than Black Flag post-TV Party EP.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:12 pm

cool. kind of bummed it will not be an original line up, but i will take what i can get.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:09 pm

very interesting reading...
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby creature » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks! I'm ready for some "Blood."
creature

Postby SamDBL » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:54 am

I'm actually psyched to hear this. Awesome band.
SamDBL

Postby hkphooey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:13 pm

version sound wrote:BREAKING NEWS: I like Bl'ast better than Black Flag post-TV Party EP.

saw them @ the Antrax...in 89?ish..
hkphooey

Postby jaybird » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:48 pm

I could never take this band seriously since they were such blatant Black Flag wannabes... I mean, they were really good at aping Black Flag's sound, and it's fine to have your influences and all, but try to put some individual spin on things at least.
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:57 pm

I think they did put some original spin on it, honestly.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:16 am

gregpolard wrote:I think they did put some original spin on it, honestly.

I second this, there's surely a big link with BF, but they added some personality to their rendering ;)
Michele

Postby creature » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:21 am

Updated this story with Clifford and Walsby comments and extra photos. Thanks for reading:

http://theressomethinghardinthere.blogs ... se-of.html
creature

Postby version sound » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:09 am

gregpolard wrote:I think they did put some original spin on it, honestly.

Agreed. Even though Black Flag is the obvious influence, I find myself thinking more of COC when I listen to them, plus there's a SoCal beach punk vibe mixed in. So, not without obvious influences, but far from the straight Black Flag rip-off they've been accused of being.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:18 am

i think the first record is very BF influenced. it didn't help that they used the same clear guitars as ginn and i believe they also had a clear drum kit at some point as well. i don't get people who claim to like them more than black flag, and i have met a few of them. i would also agree with the COC influence, and even sabbath in some places. by the third lp they were totally on a different trip. i do think those records hold up on their own and they were on the better bands of the 2nd wave of hardcore.
yourenotevil

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:52 pm

got the lp today, but it didn't come with a DL code and i guess they were supposed to send it out thru email when it shipped. did anyone get the DL yet?
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:56 pm

yourenotevil wrote:got the lp today, but it didn't come with a DL code and i guess they were supposed to send it out thru email when it shipped. did anyone get the DL yet?

Not yet, but I did get a massively dinged spine, thanks to my buds at USPS.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:02 pm

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:got the lp today, but it didn't come with a DL code and i guess they were supposed to send it out thru email when it shipped. did anyone get the DL yet?

Not yet, but I did get a massively dinged spine, thanks to my buds at USPS.

the outer package was pretty busted on mine, but it came through ok. i am ready to kill my fucking mailman though. he is leaving packages outdoors in a totally open area and today he left my record in front of the wrong apartment complex. i only knew it was coming b/c they sent me a tracking email. the guy is a fucking joke.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:38 pm

The way the Southern Lord preorder thing made it sound was that the downloads wouldn't go out until the actual release date, which is so silly.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:51 pm

gregpolard wrote:The way the Southern Lord preorder thing made it sound was that the downloads wouldn't go out until the actual release date, which is so silly.

i remember reading that they would get emailed when the record shipped. of course, i ordered through the blast bandcamp and not the actual SL site. i shot off a message to Bl'ast on the fb page and they were like, "uh you have to deal with SL directly." fucking bullshit man. if they wanted to protect the leak so badly, they could have at least put in a code with the LP, what is a week going to matter at this point if it hits the net? wouldnt care as much if i had a record player right now but i do not.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:29 pm

so basically what's about the album?
Michele

Postby Dan Celebrity » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:46 am

Listening to Blood for the first time right now, and my mind's blown. I've heard these songs so many times, but it sounds so fresh. I had goosebumps through the whole first side. Once in a while there's the subtle differences that pop up. Thinking I should put the OG album on next, just for comparison. I really hope this release produces some reunion shows. It'd be nice if they came somewhere near WI so I won't be forced to go out to CA, because if there are more Bl'ast shows, I will be there.
Dan Celebrity

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Dan Celebrity wrote:Listening to Blood for the first time right now, and my mind's blown. I've heard these songs so many times, but it sounds so fresh. I had goosebumps through the whole first side. Once in a while there's the subtle differences that pop up. Thinking I should put the OG album on next, just for comparison. I really hope this release produces some reunion shows. It'd be nice if they came somewhere near WI so I won't be forced to go out to CA, because if there are more Bl'ast shows, I will be there.

i like it, but i have to agree with the people who told me it was a con job. it seems pretty obvious neider went back and rerecorded most, if not all of the guitar parts. i don't believe for one second a demo would ever sound this good. i would love to hear what the original tape sounded like.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:50 pm

Still stoked to hear it.
gregpolard

Postby creature » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:34 pm

With the exception of "Something Beyond" and "It's in My Blood," these songs sound the same as the album, but with a new mix ... and possibly added guitars ... ???
creature

Postby Michele » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:52 pm

don't know, I asked as my hard-on was quite reduced by having no real unhearded stuff but basically a different version fo it's in my blood, that was less than expected... I don't remember reading about this on the promo campaign, so I was expecting some different stuff.
It sounds good, but also it's not so different from the albuma nd it's basically a different rendering of it... am I wrong?
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:20 pm

creature wrote:With the exception of "Something Beyond" and "It's in My Blood," these songs sound the same as the album, but with a new mix ... and possibly added guitars ... ???

def added guitars. seemed like SL is doing a lot of cloak and dagger stuff with this particular release. i wonder if duvall will comment on it at all, since he is probably the only one with nothing riding on the authenticity of it or not.
yourenotevil

Postby littletimmy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 am

I thought i read somewhere that this is remixed with kip's guitar parts added in and maybe they need to call it something else because of a certain someone at SST who likes to not pay bands royalties but likes to sue bands?

timmy
littletimmy

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:36 pm

It's supposed to be an entirely different recording from IIMB, but it seems like it's so similar that a lot of people are mistaking it for a remix/remaster. Grohl seems like a pretty no bullshit guy. I'd be surprised if he got involved in anything shady, but who knows?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Michele » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:51 pm

as far as I understood, this is a completely different recording of the same record... that it's not exactly my idea of having a new undreleased album by Bl'ast! 8-)
Michele

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:16 pm

version sound wrote:It's supposed to be an entirely different recording from IIMB, but it seems like it's so similar that a lot of people are mistaking it for a remix/remaster. Grohl seems like a pretty no bullshit guy. I'd be surprised if he got involved in anything shady, but who knows?

According to their Facebook page, Bl'ast recorded their debut three times, so they may have taken multiple cracks at "It's In My Blood," which could explain why "Blood" sounds better than a typical demo. Southern Lord is adding fuel to the conspiracy fire by being so evasive about the what, where, when and why of this recording, though.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby the mean » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:28 am

I want to believe...

the mean

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:33 am

There's nothing tinfoil hat about wondering what this actually is. It's NOT a demo. No '80s hardcore demo sounds that good. Maybe it was their first shot at recording IIMB. It's similar enough that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wouldn't buy a straight remaster of IIMB, because the differences are minimal. It does sound fucking awesome, whatever it is.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:14 am

I think you are focusing on one definition of "demo."

It's not a "demo" like a band would record when it first starts out. But Bl'ast! already had a full length under their belts and then were working on a new album. Seems to me this is either a "demo" for IIMB, or the first (or second) stab at recording it. I have no problem with referring to those as "demos."

If Neider recorded new tracks, then that is more interesting to me.
the mean

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:13 pm

As an attorney and English lit major, I have a tendency to want words to mean what they mean, so it's largely semantic. "Early attempt" sounds more accurate to me, but maybe they're just trying to avoid someone from their former label (Ginn?) asserting some kind of ownership rights. I could understand that.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 pm

In the interview on Doublecrossxx.com it is mentioned about how originally they wanted to do a remaster/reissue of the old albums on Southern Lord...hmmm
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Listened today. It kicks ass. Also ironically inspired me to finally listen to the new Alice In Chains. It was 7.99 on iTunes and I loved the last one so figured it was worth a shot. Digging it so far.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:15 pm

gregpolard wrote:Listened today. It kicks ass. Also ironically inspired me to finally listen to the new Alice In Chains. It was 7.99 on iTunes and I loved the last one so figured it was worth a shot. Digging it so far.

sorry i slacked on reupping the files to another upload site. i copped the AIC from slsk. some of the riffs are cool, i just can't really get into the vocals that much, which was the same problem with the last album. something is off about them. i guess they are trying to get the staley/cantrell voice combo and that is obv not going to happen.

in other news, bl'ast are soon to be creating some laughs in the future. when i can post about it, i will.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:40 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Listened today. It kicks ass. Also ironically inspired me to finally listen to the new Alice In Chains. It was 7.99 on iTunes and I loved the last one so figured it was worth a shot. Digging it so far.

sorry i slacked on reupping the files to another upload site. i copped the AIC from slsk. some of the riffs are cool, i just can't really get into the vocals that much, which was the same problem with the last album. something is off about them. i guess they are trying to get the staley/cantrell voice combo and that is obv not going to happen.

in other news, bl'ast are soon to be creating some laughs in the future. when i can post about it, i will.

Intrigued.
gregpolard

Postby Matschy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:56 am

http://www.spin.com/articles/blast-blood-dave-grohl-southern-lord-album-stream-black-flag-sst/

So this IS the same recording and the added guitar parts were recorded back then, but left of the original mix.
Last edited by Matschy on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matschy

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:07 am

that article claims it is the original album, but SL and every other article claim it to be something else. i am still convinced it lies somewhere in between the two with recent overdubs from neider mixed in with it.
yourenotevil

Postby Matschy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 am

Were DuVall's tracks on the tapes a big surprise?

Grohl: He had recorded that record with them, but then he left the band, so they just muted his shit. They were like, "Fuck it!" They hit the mute button, that's it. So we just fucking turned it on. We were like, "Can we use these?"
Matschy

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:24 am

Matschy wrote:
Were DuVall's tracks on the tapes a big surprise?

Grohl: He had recorded that record with them, but then he left the band, so they just muted his shit. They were like, "Fuck it!" They hit the mute button, that's it. So we just fucking turned it on. We were like, "Can we use these?"

yeah, but SL is claiming it was a totally new, unheard, unreleased session. you can read some other interviews with cliff and neider and they are both talking about how they can't remember where the recording came from or where they did it. i have heard from very reliable people that there is brand new overdubs on it. if it was as simple as grohl said, they would have just said that shit. the whole thing is still suspicious.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:44 am

I'm no Bl'ast expert, but it sounds like the same basic tracks to me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:49 am

Southern Lord wrote:Whilst inside Grohl’s famous 606 Studios (and with the Neve console as featured in the recent Grohl produced documentary ’Sound City’) a remarkable discovery was made – a completely unheard, unreleased BL’AST! recording session from the mid–80s. The lineup of the band at the time of the recording included second guitarist William Duvall (from Neon Christ & interestingly now the vocalist for Alice In Chains) who had moved from his hometown of Atlanta out to Santa Cruz on a tip from mutual friends, Corrosion of Conformity to join the band. Unfortunately his tenure with BL’AST! was short–lived and no recordings from that lineup were ever released.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Matschy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:34 am

I just lined up the "original" version of tomorrow with the "new" one with the help of a sequencer.

The result: Exept for the mix they are identical. period!

check this out:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfmaa1kp2ax9w ... arison.mp3

those are exerpts from the beginning where you can hear me changing back an forth between the versions.
i then jumped to the end of the track to demonstrate that they are perfectly in sync. no doubt that this IS
the same recording!

case closed - at least for me!
Matschy

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 am

Matschy wrote:I just lined up the "original" version of tomorrow with the "new" one with the help of a sequencer.

check this out:

those are exerpts from the beginning where you can hear me changing back an forth between the versions.
i then jumped to the end of the track to demonstrate that they are perfectly in sync. no doubt that this IS
the same recording!

This is the greatest post in the history of the board. Nice work, Denko.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
Matschy wrote:I just lined up the "original" version of tomorrow with the "new" one with the help of a sequencer.

check this out:

the same recording!

This is the greatest post in the history of the board. Nice work, Denko.

Whoa.
gregpolard

Postby Matschy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 am

Scientific fact #2: Unlike the case that's discussed here, Denko and me are two separate persons.

;)
Matschy

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:41 am

Matschy wrote:Scientific fact #2: Unlike the case that's discussed here, Denko and me are two separate persons.

;)

Sorry, Matschy. I was working on an iPhone and my eyesight sucks. For some reason I thought Denko used the kicking Field Day avatar.
xxxHunterxxx

Next

Return to daghouse