Postby earthdog70 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:48 am

New album in November, Malcolm officially retires:

http://bravewords.com/news/ac-dc-to-rel ... -from-band

:mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: AC/DC-Rock or Bust

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:50 am

I thought they made a half decent record last time with Brendan O'brien. I'll give this a shot.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:00 am

I will make every effort to go see them when they tour. I might even buy their new record. Maybe.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:45 pm

Yeah, I need to go see them live this time (even with no Malcolm). The only reason I didn't see them on the Black Ice tour in DC is cos I was sick with the flu the day they came. :roll:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:47 pm

I want to see them too. It's always so darn expensive.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:50 pm

gregpolard wrote:I want to see them too. It's always so darn expensive.

Yeah, eDog asked me if I wanted to see them a few years ago and I was like "AW, HELL YEAH!", then he told me cheap tickets were $95 and I was like "AW, HELL NO!".
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:51 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I want to see them too. It's always so darn expensive.

Yeah, eDog asked me if I wanted to see them a few years ago and I was like "AW, HELL YEAH!", then he told me cheap tickets were $95 and I was like "AW, HELL NO!".

yeah, that's why i passed last time too. they also usually have no good openers either, which would make it easier for me to justify spending all that money.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:45 pm

my bad, I doubled posted
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:36 pm

the new song "play ball"

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby john stabb » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Funny, I was going to place this in the "Who cares file" but a bunch of you still do. I never got to see AC/DC in their heyday w/ Bon or when Brian first joined. That would've been the only period I cared to see them. Sure, I'd see them if someone had a free ticket, but I just don't even think about that. I'd rather see bands who are more accessible than the arena rockers. Club, hall or bar gigs.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:48 am

If true, this is truly terrible news:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/mus ... 0m1hs.html
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:04 am

Shit. That sucks.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:29 am

That's horrible news. :(
When I was in 6th grade AC/DC was my favorite band and they were musical heroes to me. I still love the band.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:30 am

Man. I am at a loss for words.
gregpolard

Postby captain2man » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:04 pm

I think this was the likely scenario if you read between the lines on all the press in recent months.

Very sad indeed. Angus is the heart of AC/DC, but Malcolm was the brain.

At age 62, it is highly doubtful this is Alzheimer's (unless it's early onset Alzheimer's, which would require a very strong genetic link). Hate to say that years of alcohol abuse certainly could have played a role in it, or perhaps it was something else - either way - very sad, and probably something we'll see more & more of as our rock 'n' roll heroes get older.
captain2man

Postby Michele » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:47 pm

a real bad news, I have a pair of other great musicians who are not looking that good lately, hope they won't follow....
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:13 pm

captain2man wrote:I think this was the likely scenario if you read between the lines on all the press in recent months.

At age 62, it is highly doubtful this is Alzheimer's (unless it's early onset Alzheimer's, which would require a very strong genetic link). Hate to say that years of alcohol abuse certainly could have played a role in it, or perhaps it was something else - either way - very sad, and probably something we'll see more & more of as our rock 'n' roll heroes get older.

why couldn't it be alzhemier's? ozzy and bill ward are still alive and semi lucid after years of drug and alcohol abuse, among many others. old drunks tend to keep their memories from everything i have read or experienced.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:17 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
captain2man wrote:I think this was the likely scenario if you read between the lines on all the press in recent months.

why couldn't it be alzhemier's? ozzy and bill ward are still alive and semi lucid after years of drug and alcohol abuse, among many others. old drunks tend to keep their memories from everything i have read or experienced.

You’re an old drunk?
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:02 am

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

You’re an old drunk?

one day, my friend. one day.
yourenotevil

Postby captain2man » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:36 am

yourenotevil wrote:

Unfortunately, in recent years, I've become somewhat of an expert on Alzheimer's & dementia.

There are two types of Alzheimer's. The usual type - the one that can affect any of us - doesn't usually develop until someone is at least in their early 70s if not older (and usually quite a bit older). For a 62 year old man to get the normal, usual type of Alzheimer's would be extraordinarily rare.

There is another type of Alzheimer's, much less common, known as early-onset Alzheimer's, which can strike someone as young as their 30s. The difference is that, unlike the "usual" type of Alzheimer's, early-onset has a VERY strong genetic link. Anyone in a family that has this link would surely be aware of it through a very definite family history. Perhaps the Young family has this genetic link, but it's not something that has been mentioned in the press.

There are many types of dementia, brought on for all sorts of reasons. Dementia brought on by a stroke (which could have been brought on by chemical abuse) is a much more likely explanation than Alzheimer's for someone as young as Malcolm.
captain2man

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:46 am

sorry you had to learn about it from what i assume is personal experience. i don't know as much about it as you do. my family friend's mother got dementia in some form or another and it is really taking a toll on them all. she will remember things about you and just get lost in a conversation at the same time. scary and sad, and very depressing.
yourenotevil

Postby captain2man » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:23 pm

yourenotevil wrote:sorry you had to learn about it from what i assume is personal experience. i don't know as much about it as you do. my family friend's mother got dementia in some form or another and it is really taking a toll on them all. she will remember things about you and just get lost in a conversation at the same time. scary and sad, and very depressing.

Yes. My mother started experiencing signs of dementia in her early 60s. The first diagnosis was Alzheimer's, but the more I learned, the less the diagnosis made any sense. She wasn't anywhere near the age when people typically get it, and our family has no history of it, so early-onset was equally unlikely.

Also, her patterns of behavior didn't quite match the typical Alzheimer's patient.

Eventually, it was revealed that she had a stroke and an MRI revealed it was from hydrocephalus (a/k/a "water on the brain") - which is the same type of dementia that Dick Wagner had.

The difference is that, in Wagner's case, the cause was caught very early and they were able to treat it.

By the time they caught it in my mother, her brain had deformed past the point of return. They did some things which did improve certain things, but cognitively, my mother is in the state of being like a perpetual 2-year-old retarded child. There are no moments of clarity ever. She knows who we are, but she is incapable of anything but the simplest of all conversations. "How are you?" "Good." That's about it.
captain2man

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:40 pm

captain2man wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:sorry you had to learn about it from what i assume is personal experience. i don't know as much about it as you do. my family friend's mother got dementia in some form or another and it is really taking a toll on them all. she will remember things about you and just get lost in a conversation at the same time. scary and sad, and very depressing.

Yes. My mother started experiencing signs of dementia in her early 60s. The first diagnosis was Alzheimer's, but the more I learned, the less the diagnosis made any sense. She wasn't anywhere near the age when people typically get it, and our family has no history of it, so early-onset was equally unlikely.

Also, her patterns of behavior didn't quite match the typical Alzheimer's patient.

Eventually, it was revealed that she had a stroke and an MRI revealed it was from hydrocephalus (a/k/a "water on the brain") - which is the same type of dementia that Dick Wagner had.

The difference is that, in Wagner's case, the cause was caught very early and they were able to treat it.

By the time they caught it in my mother, her brain had deformed past the point of return. They did some things which did improve certain things, but cognitively, my mother is in the state of being like a perpetual 2-year-old retarded child. There are no moments of clarity ever. She knows who we are, but she is incapable of anything but the simplest of all conversations. "How are you?" "Good." That's about it.

shit, sorry man. that sounds horrible.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:11 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
captain2man wrote:

shit, sorry man. that sounds horrible.

I second this. So sorry.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks.....been dealing with it for about 8 years now....it's sort of become the way of life at this point. It's almost hard to remember what she was like "before"....but there will be time for eulogizing when she actually passes.

But - I do appreciate the sentiments.
captain2man

Return to daghouse