DRUMS!

DRUMS!

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:25 am

After years of listening to punk and indie records with the drums pushed to the background, the latest round of good remasters (Zeppelin in particular, but also the Beatles) is making me appreciate good drumming in a way that I never have before. Ironic, since my first instrument was snare in school band. I would have been a drummer but for the fact that my parents were too cheap and afraid of the potential racket to buy me a drum set. Anyway, WTF is wrong with modern (mostly anything past some point in the '70s) music mixing the drums into the background? The Beatles had the mix just about right, with drums equal in volume and importance with the guitars.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: DRUMS!

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:06 am

I dunno, weren't the '80s awash in heavily gated, super LOUD drums? That's how I remember it.
As far as the Beatles recordings, I highly (HIGHLY) recommend Geoff Emerick's book, "Here, There, and Everywhere." He engineered virtually every important recording the Beatles ever made. It is highly insightful if you are interested in how they got things to sound they way they did. You come to appreciate what a feat it was to mix and balance those records - we're talking 4 tracks at a time! Crazy.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:16 am

Yeah, the '80s pop stuff is all gated drums that come across sounding like a drum machine.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby tango fistula » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

I have always mixed drums and bass way up...then guitar and vocals.

Its always annoying to have vocals squash everything but it took 30 years before
people started backing off on the "vox up front" 50's-60's approach.
tango fistula

Postby danny » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:26 am

Moar Drums!
danny

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:27 am

danny wrote:Moar Drums!

Is that a Tolkien thing? Sounds like it.
scannest

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:24 pm

These go to eleven.
Last edited by Welly on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby jason powell » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:28 pm

One thing I also think that has changed since the Beatles or the Beach Boys etc is that jazz is less of a direct influence on getting sounds "right". Drums were more nuanced and quieter in some ways and arrangements had acoustic guitars mixed in. It was a little less "bombastic", and I feel like they tried to civilize the sound of early rock music in a way, but also, the music itself had different roots than what it is today. But that basic sound has been stripped down over time. Every rock record since Led Zep and Motown had loud snares in just about every song. New wavy synth pop and the post-disco soft r+b 80's stuff aside, even hair bands had the loud snare beats in their stuff, but, it was gated and a lot of drummers actually muffled their kits, so all you'd hear was the snap of the stick on the skins and then nothing, which is really weird. But thats like the minimalist style which I think came in from the soft jazzy r+b stuff and influence of synth pop stuff carrying over from the mid 70's to mid 80's.
jason powell

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:46 pm

Yeah, I have always liked jazz drums.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby john stabb » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:44 am

I truly cannot play drums to save my life and hate a terrible drum sound in recordings :!: The big problem I have with Huskers these days is Grant's drum sound - it really takes away from how great the song is. I hate the sound of Hart's drums on records. Much prefer the Sugar-drums. Marc Alberstadt hates almost every recording he played on because he thinks the drum sound is horrible. He once told me when he wanted to play something he did for someone, he'd reach all the way back to the Original 1980 G.I. Demo. I personally think he's too hard on himself because I like his drum sound on everything but Legless Bull (but nothing you can do about that one).

80's big drum sounds are the worst (Def Leopard, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Poison, Springsteen, whatever). I love a great drum sound from the 60's. And Welly knows what he speaks: if you don't have a great drum sound on a recording - just hang it up now and forget about ever being in a band. :roll:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:49 am

danny wrote:Moar Drums!

YES. The next time you guys are mixing, just bump your drums up a bit while no one's looking. There is too much guitar and not enough drums on most rock records, and I say that as a guitar player.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:02 am

growing up with a lot of the 2nd or 3rd wave of powerviolence, i heard a lot of drummers complain about being too low in the mix on their recordings. if often came down to whoever paid for the studio time mixed it with their instrument as the loudest, and 9 times out of ten that was the guitar player. 80s drum production for most rock/mainstram records were goddamn horrible. i don't know whether to blame that on phil collins or not. the record sound on the most of the judas priest albums in the mid to late 80s was goddamn embarrassing.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:05 am

yourenotevil wrote:80s drum production for most rock/mainstram records were goddamn horrible. i don't know whether to blame that on phil collins or not.

PiL took credit for inventing it on Flowers of Romance. I don't know if that's something I'd want credit for personally.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:23 am

VS, I'm guessing the issue with drum sounds on a lot of the records you listen to comes down to $$$. Guitars can be recorded just about anywhere with just about any mic and sound good (assuming the guitarist has good equipment). But a drummer can have a vintage Pearl/Premier/Ludwig/What-have-you kit, but if he's not being recorded in a good sounding room with the right mics, it's gonna sound crummy. Home recording is not built for quality drum sounds.
Guys who own studios will tell you that their saving grace is knowing what to do with drums. When I was talking to J Robbins about recording at his place, he said a lot of people will come in and just record drums and then take the tracks home to do guitar/vocals/etc. The one place you can't 'go cheap' is recording drums. Unless you intend on keeping them in the background, but that should be an aesthetic choice, not a monetary one.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:25 am

scannest wrote:VS, I'm guessing the issue with drum sounds on a lot of the records you listen to comes down to $$$. Guitars can be recorded just about anywhere with just about any mic and sound good (assuming the guitarist has good equipment). But a drummer can have a vintage Pearl/Premier/Ludwig/What-have-you kit, but if he's not being recorded in a good sounding room with the right mics, it's gonna sound crummy. Home recording is not built for quality drum sounds.
Guys who own studios will tell you that their saving grace is knowing what to do with drums. When I was talking to J Robbins about recording at his place, he said a lot of people will come in and just record drums and then take the tracks home to do guitar/vocals/etc. The one place you can't 'go cheap' is recording drums. Unless you intend on keeping them in the background, but that should be an aesthetic choice, not a monetary one.

Hit the nail on the head right there. I don't know much about that kinda stuff but I know a big reason a lot of people like Studio 4 in Conshohocken is the sound of the room where the drums are recorded.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby MXV » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:26 am

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:80s drum production for most rock/mainstram records were goddamn horrible. i don't know whether to blame that on phil collins or not.

PiL took credit for inventing it on Flowers of Romance. I don't know if that's something I'd want credit for personally.

The drum sound on Flowers of Romance is actually one of my favorite things about it. It is so prominent in the mix, especially on the opening track. That Martin Atkins was one hell of a drummer.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:34 am

scannest wrote:VS, I'm guessing the issue with drum sounds on a lot of the records you listen to comes down to $$$.

Absolutely. How many punk/hardcore records were recorded with big budgets in fancy studios? Not a lot. I also think that drums get taken for granted a lot. The problem isn't always that the drums sound bad, but they are mixed to be audible, and nothing more. So you can hear the drums, but you can't really hear any detail. Part of that is undoubtedly due to the egos of the guitarist/singer, but I think that part of it is also having 48 tracks and wanting to cram something into every available space. Most records sound better with fewer tracks, IMO. I'd usually rather actually HEAR one guitar, one bass, and one drum kit than a bunch of stuff piled up to make it sound "fat".
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby john stabb » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 pm

Does anyone else have a problem with Grant's drum sound in Huskers :?: Yep, most punk bands never had huge recording budgets. G.I. did okay with our putting a 5 thousand dollar advance (which I wonder if in 80's indie-days was a lot) into S/T, You & Crash recoded @ Lion & Fox (Where mostly Reggae bands & Scream did sessions). We weren't going to be half-assed about it. Unfortunately, we thought we'd make that back down the line but a little thing called Giant/Rockville Records/Dutch East India Trading Co. had other ideas. Makes me wonder how much does a band like say Rancid get for recording lousy records :?:
john stabb

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:11 am

Neil Conti from Prefab Sprout is an underrated pro.

Also underrated is James Lo that used to be in Live Skull.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:16 am

john stabb wrote:G.I. 5 thousand dollar advance

Obviously, wardrobe was not on the agenda.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:30 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Also underrated is James Lo that used to be in Chavez.

Fixed.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:44 am

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Also underrated is James Lo that used to be in Chavez.

Fixed.

Did he go to be in that band too? he was great.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby danny » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:28 pm

for me - the best punk drum sounds were with killing joke. no matter who was playing, they always got a huge sound out of the toms and kick. but the best rock drum sound of all time is certainly bonham. not just because of how and what he plays...but because it is such an integral and forceful part of the songs.

i hate compressed drums. i love a live, wet sound. and i loathe electronic drums.
danny

Postby john stabb » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:40 am

Midge, none of us sunk any of our advances into our stage wardrobe but I managed to score some amazing thrift show threads wherever I could. You know you have dreams of yourself wearing my wardrobe, mate. ;)
john stabb

Return to daghouse