Personality Crisis - Creatures for Awhile LP

Personality Crisis - Creatures for Awhile LP

Postby patient_ot » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Anyone else dig this? Weird vocals, really unique sounding compared to other stuff around in the early 80s IMHO. I finally got a copy of the reissue LP from a few years back recently.
patient_ot

Re: Personality Crisis - Creatures for Awhile LP

Postby dave123 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Truly amazing record. The vocals are strange but cool. Mitch is a good dude, and his later band Honest John was pretty decent as well. Unfortunately, never got to see PC live. I have always wondered if they peaked with this record or if they were just getting going. Recently saw an original copy of the LP signed by all original touring members in a record store in Tampa. They might still have it if anyone is interested. I already have all three versions of this record, so I passed on it. Sort of kicking myself, as it is a cool Canadian punk artifact.
dave123

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 am

jaybird likes them, so there's that.
FormerLurker

Postby Welly » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:39 am

Great record.
Welly

Postby MXV » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:55 am

I still need to get a copy of this LP.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:31 am

2nd greatest band from Canada of all time, etc.

Seriously, if you don't think this kicks all kinds of ass, you don't like punk rock:

Last edited by jaybird on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:31 am

Toldja.
FormerLurker

Postby Welly » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:16 am

The only thing I don't get about Personality Crisis is the assertion in Chris Walters' book that they were always a 'rock' band and not 'punk'. The same goes for latter-day writings about bands like Replacements. The usual author revisionism to lift their subject matter above the topics' contemporaries?

To me, they played the same circuit, were on the same labels, the same compilations and bills as all the other punk bands of the day, back when ranks were far more closed stylistically than the present day. It sounded the same, smelled the same, had the same style artwork, the same song topics. Smells like bullshit to me.
Welly

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:08 am

dave123 wrote: a record store in Tampa. .

Wait what? There is that store in St Pete that Tony from No Clubs has (Daddy Kool) but there is a store in Tampa? Where and what is it called?
FlexMyHead

Postby dave123 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:40 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
dave123 wrote: a record store in Tampa. .

Wait what? There is that store in St Pete that Tony from No Clubs has (Daddy Kool) but there is a store in Tampa? Where and what is it called?

The place that had that signed PC LP is called Microgroove (chances are they still have it). It's a cool little store who's owner has ties to the Tampa hardcore scene, but it is much more than a punk store. There is also a new store in St. Pete supposedly ran by Rob from Slap of Reality, who I remember having a pretty strong collection back in the late '80s early '90s. I haven't been yet, so I am not sure if it is good or not.
dave123

Postby dave123 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Welly wrote:The only thing I don't get about Personality Crisis is the assertion in Chris Walters' book that they were always a 'rock' band and not 'punk'. The same goes for latter-day writings about bands like Replacements. The usual author revisionism to lift their subject matter above the topics' contemporaries?

To me, they played the same circuit, were on the same labels, the same compilations and bills as all the other punk bands of the day, back when ranks were far more closed stylistically than the present day. It sounded the same, smelled the same, had the same style artwork, the same song topics. Smells like bullshit to me.

I picked that up from the book as well (which is a cool book, as the Walters grew up around those dudes). Back then, at least in Western Canada, it became sort of a dirty word to be called a punk band. The regular musicians (aka rock and metal band players) would think you were a joke, even if you were talented. Plus, the new breed of Mohawk, studs, and spikes punk rockers were giving punk a bad name by acting more like Wattie than Joey Shithead. The guys in SNFU experienced this as well as they started to get more established. I remember when SNFU were practice space neighboors with a friend of mine's older brother's shitty blues rock band. His brother always made fun of punk rock until he saw how professional and talented SNFU was and found out that they were one of the only local bands that was steadily touring N. America. But, the prevailing attitude of that era was still punk band=terrible musicians. I think if PC kept going, the music would have become a lot less "punk".
dave123

Postby Welly » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks for that.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Welly wrote:The only thing I don't get about Personality Crisis is the assertion in Chris Walters' book that they were always a 'rock' band and not 'punk'. The same goes for latter-day writings about bands like Replacements. The usual author revisionism to lift their subject matter above the topics' contemporaries?

Thank you. Maybe they weren't as DIY as Husker Du or others, but the rest of what you wrote applies for sure. I listened to Stink (your favorite; I love it, too, but I'd go with Sorry Ma Forgot to Take Out the Trash) yesterday and if that ain't punk in the Heartbreakers on booze and not dope mold, then those who say it ain't don't know it when they hear it!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:31 pm

JGJR wrote:Thank you. Maybe they weren't as DIY as Husker Du or others, but the rest of what you wrote applies for sure. I listened to Stink (your favorite; I love it, too, but I'd go with Sorry Ma Forgot to Take Out the Trash) yesterday and if that ain't punk in the Heartbreakers on booze and not dope mold, then those who say it ain't don't know it when they hear it!

I was going to mention Thunders in the Ryan Adams thread in relation to Replacements, ha ha.

I played Sorry Ma the other day, also great. I guess Stink and the 7" and my favourites as I heard them first though.

Also have Hootenanny. Wish I had all the later vinyl, but have never happened upon it.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:Thank you. Maybe they weren't as DIY as Husker Du or others, but the rest of what you wrote applies for sure. I listened to Stink (your favorite; I love it, too, but I'd go with Sorry Ma Forgot to Take Out the Trash) yesterday and if that ain't punk in the Heartbreakers on booze and not dope mold, then those who say it ain't don't know it when they hear it!

I was going to mention Thunders in the Ryan Adams thread in relation to Replacements, ha ha.

I played Sorry Ma the other day, also great. I guess Stink and the 7" and my favourites as I heard them first though.

Also have Hootenanny. Wish I had all the later vinyl, but have never happened upon it.

I hear you. I also have Hootennany on vinyl (actually just played it and some other Mats vinyl yesterday). I was lucky enough to find sealed copies of that one and Stink (the late '80s Twin Tone pressings on colored vinyl) in a long gone flea market (it's now a multiplex theater) outside of New Brunswick on Rt. 1 about 20 years ago for really cheap. I have Pleased to Meet Me (the original, not the recent remaster), Don't Tell A Soul and All Shook Down (the pressing that came out last year; never seen an original; not even sure if it came out on vinyl in 1990 without checking Discogs) but have never happened upon the others. I'd particularly love Sorry Ma, Let It Be and Tim (an original, not the recent one) on vinyl. I've got 'em all on CD, though. And hey, that's all of their studio albums. :-)

What does Thunders have to do with Ryan Adams, though?
JGJR

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 pm

JGJR wrote:What does Thunders have to do with Ryan Adams, though?

Nothing, I was going to relate the Heartbreakers sneering rockin' to that of the Placemats.

Like, it's not a million miles from bands like the Joneses, who in their early days were not unlike either.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:What does Thunders have to do with Ryan Adams, though?

Nothing, I was going to relate the Heartbreakers sneering rockin' to that of the Placemats.

Like, it's not a million miles from bands like the Joneses, who in their early days were not unlike either.

Indeed. Keeping Up with the Joneses is part of my collection. Also related/worth checking out: The Humpers, anything on Rankoutsider, Pat Todd's label, like this band from Philly (songwriter's fave band is Replacements, not surprisingly).

http://jukeboxzeros.bandcamp.com/ (there is a great Testors cover here and 3 originals)

They are led by the bassist in scannest's band The Thirteen.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 pm

JGJR wrote:Indeed. Keeping Up with the Joneses is part of my collection. Also related/worth checking out: The Humpers, anything on Rankoutsider, Pat Todd's label, like this band from Philly (songwriter's fave band is Replacements, not surprisingly).

By Keeping up with the Joneses, they were more Glam.

We played with the Humpers at da Whisky-a-Go-Go.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:Indeed. Keeping Up with the Joneses is part of my collection. Also related/worth checking out: The Humpers, anything on Rankoutsider, Pat Todd's label, like this band from Philly (songwriter's fave band is Replacements, not surprisingly).

What's the stuff they did before then? I've never knowingly heard it, but am curious now.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:52 pm

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:

What's the stuff they did before then? I've never knowingly heard it, but am curious now.

Er, all the good stuff? :lol:
Welly

Return to daghouse