Postby earthdog70 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Anyone here hit the show in Chicago last week:

http://orgcore.org/2014/09/14/photos-pe ... rousel-515

:bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Pegboy

Postby MXV » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:29 am

You couldn't pay me to waste any more minutes of my life on the "drunken Larry show". A once great band ruined by a vocalist who can't stay sober enough to perform well. That gimmick stopped being cute after we all passed the age of 30. I actually feel sorry for the rest of the band because they always play well (though they are about two decades overdue for writing and recording new material) but Larry just ruins it every time. I think it's kind of sad they still get enough mindless marks to come to their shit show that it actually warrants them still playing shows.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:35 am

I knew you wouldn't be there MXV ;)
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:02 am

MXV wrote:You couldn't pay me to waste any more minutes of my life on the "drunken Larry show". A once great band ruined by a vocalist who can't stay sober enough to perform well. That gimmick stopped being cute after we all passed the age of 30. I actually feel sorry for the rest of the band because they always play well (though they are about two decades overdue for writing and recording new material) but Larry just ruins it every time. I think it's kind of sad they still get enough mindless marks to come to their shit show that it actually warrants them still playing shows.

Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Seriously, I wonder if this was the issue I had with the show I saw in '98. I remember it being lackluster, but can't recall exactly why.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:28 am

JGJR wrote:
MXV wrote:You couldn't pay me to waste any more minutes of my life on the "drunken Larry show". A once great band ruined by a vocalist who can't stay sober enough to perform well. That gimmick stopped being cute after we all passed the age of 30. I actually feel sorry for the rest of the band because they always play well (though they are about two decades overdue for writing and recording new material) but Larry just ruins it every time. I think it's kind of sad they still get enough mindless marks to come to their shit show that it actually warrants them still playing shows.

Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Seriously, I wonder if this was the issue I had with the show I saw in '98. I remember it being lackluster, but can't recall exactly why.

I'd put down good money on that being the exact reason why! :)
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:29 am

I finally saw Pegboy in 2009 when they opened for Face To Face in Philly. They were good but he was definitely intoxicated. I've heard their live shows in the early 90's were some of the best things you could see.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Knutsen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:01 pm

The bass sound of slipped through my fingers still gives me a hard one.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby MJH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:29 pm

gregpolard wrote:I've heard their live shows in the early 90's were some of the best things you could see.

Saw em open for Social D on the Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell tour circa 1992, damn good at that time...
MJH

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:32 pm

MJH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I've heard their live shows in the early 90's were some of the best things you could see.

Saw em open for Social D on the Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell tour circa 1992, damn good at that time...

I saw this tour too.... IIRC, Best Kissers in the World were also on the bill, at least at the Detroit show.
jaybird

Postby gunter1976 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Three-Chord Monte FTW!
gunter1976

Postby MJH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:07 pm

jaybird wrote:I saw this tour too.... IIRC, Best Kissers in the World were also on the bill, at least at the Detroit show.

Yep, same lineup in Omaha, NE. I don't remember a thing about the Best Kissers, truth be told...
MJH

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm

MJH wrote:
jaybird wrote:I saw this tour too.... IIRC, Best Kissers in the World were also on the bill, at least at the Detroit show.

Yep, same lineup in Omaha, NE. I don't remember a thing about the Best Kissers, truth be told...

Not a lot to remember about them, honestly. One of the many also-rans in the Great Grunge Sweepstakes of the early 90s. not terrible though:

jaybird

Postby MJH » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:44 pm

jaybird wrote: the Great Grunge Sweepstakes of the early 90s.

:lol: A friend of mine stopped over just yesterday with the Mudhoney doc that came out a few years ago....we were talking about this very subject, now we have a name for this "movement" :)
MJH

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Saw that Social D tour in VA. I mentioned this here before-J. Robbins was on bass with Pegboy at the show I saw. :geek:
earthdog70

Postby jaybird » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:57 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Saw that Social D tour in VA. I mentioned this here before-J. Robbins was on bass with Pegboy at the show I saw. :geek:

Yep.
jaybird

Postby dave123 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:25 pm

jaybird wrote:
MJH wrote:

Not a lot to remember about them, honestly. One of the many also-rans in the Great Grunge Sweepstakes of the early 90s. not terrible though:

I've always liked this band when I hear them, then completely forget about them right away. I hear more of a Doughboys/Big Drill Car vibe than Mudhoney, at least in that song.
dave123

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:32 am

dave123 wrote:
jaybird wrote:
MJH wrote:

I've always liked this band when I hear them, then completely forget about them right away. I hear more of a Doughboys/Big Drill Car vibe than Mudhoney, at least in that song.

I can see that - stylistically, they were a bit all over the place, actually. Even had some country-ish moments - The Supersuckers did a pretty faithful cover of one of their tunes...

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search/song?q ... r+Together

jaybird

Return to daghouse