Red Riding trilogy

Red Riding trilogy

Postby Janelle » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 pm

Anyone see this UK made-for-TV trilogy? It says the date as 2009, and then I first heard about it in my local newspaper's movie reviews a few years ago. I read it and it sounded interesting to me but I never caught it in the theatre. Then I remember some dumb-ass commercial movie called "Red Riding Hood" came out and when I'd see it listed on TV I'd think of this trilogy, but then would remember it wasn't!
But anyway, the last few weeks on TMC I've noticed them playing either Red Riding 1974, 1980 or 1983 and tried to watch midway through any movie out of order! I was not impressed, obviously. Because it's like, wtf is going on? So finally last night just changing channels, I saw the first one, 1974, was on and saw most of it, then they nicley had all three movies in a row and watched 1980 and today 1983 after DVR-ing it. Good stuff, I think. The details and fact that you have to pay close attention to everything because threads go throughout all three full-length movies is cool.
David Morrissey aka The Guv'nor is in it! and is one of two main protagonists (he goes from anti-hero to hero) in the '83 one. Then we also have a guy, Paddy Considine, from the "Hot Fuzz" and "The World's End" and those Simon Pegg movies - he's the main character in the second section. And also on a Simon Pegg kick, another guy from a movie or two of his is in it for a small part as well (I don't know the name off the top of my head but he was one of the "Getting the band back together" guys in "The World's End").
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Re: Red Riding trilogy

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:40 pm

I watched it and thought it got really, really, REALLY heavy handed as it went along. The facts of the case are awful enough without turning every bad guy into a sniveling, mustache swirling cartoon character. I was really disappointed.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:38 pm

i saw the first two a year or so ago. i ended up DLing the third one but i never saw it. they were solid though.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:00 am

Thought the entire Red Riding series was powerful + great. Really love a lot of these BBC/UK detective series (Hinterland, Happy Valley, Luther, The Fall, etc.) And the Swedish Herman Mankell's Wallander is excellent. Watching Jack Taylor now. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Return to daghouse