U2 - No Line on the Horizon

U2 - No Line on the Horizon

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 am

I bought this one after enjoying the new one to see what I missed. Short story shorter, pretty much all of Sal's complaints about the new album can accurately be applied to this one. There are some good songs, but overall it really sounds like a band going through the motions.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: U2 - No Line on the Horizon

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 am

I'm going to revisit it. I remember balking when I saw Rolling Stone give it a 5 star rating. I like David Fricke but he's gotta be on the U2 payroll. He gives every album of theirs a perfect score.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 am

It's not terrible. I'll definitely give it a second listen, but overall it feels like it could have been called Standard Corporate U2 Record. I had higher hopes, especially given Eno's involvement. Greg, have you heard the Passengers record? The previews I heard online sounded interesting.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:27 am

version sound wrote:It's not terrible. I'll definitely give it a second listen, but overall it feels like it could have been called Standard Corporate U2 Record. I had higher hopes, especially given Eno's involvement. Greg, have you heard the Passengers record? The previews I heard online sounded interesting.

I haven't, I will have to check it out. I'm listening to the deluxe version of "Joshua Tree" now. I did the deluxe "Unforgettable Fire" yesterday. Lots of cool bonus tracks.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:It's not terrible. I'll definitely give it a second listen, but overall it feels like it could have been called Standard Corporate U2 Record. I had higher hopes, especially given Eno's involvement. Greg, have you heard the Passengers record? The previews I heard online sounded interesting.

I haven't, I will have to check it out. I'm listening to the deluxe version of "Joshua Tree" now. I did the deluxe "Unforgettable Fire" yesterday. Lots of cool bonus tracks.

I have the deluxe UF and it's great. I kind of wish I had the super deluxe with the DVD. I ended up buying the b-sides comp for like one cent plus postage to get the JT b-sides instead of getting the deluxe version.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 am

version sound wrote:Short story shorter, pretty much all of Sal's complaints about the new album can accurately be applied to this one.

Hey, don't try and get back on my good side. You think I can be won back with a few nice words?

(I can, actually)

;)
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:25 am

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Short story shorter, pretty much all of Sal's complaints about the new album can accurately be applied to this one.

Hey, don't try and get back on my good side. You think I can be won back with a few nice words?

(I can, actually)

;)

I do repsect your opinions, even if they're totally wrong sometimes.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 am

scannest wrote:

(I can, actually)

;)

Really? Hmmmm
gregpolard

Postby Ed Roach » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 am

No Line On The Horizon sounds like they tried to make as big of a 'U2' album as possible, with half good and half mediocre songs....that's why it didn't do so well. The new one is way better even though The Edge seems more subdued in his riffs than other records.
Passengers is more or less an Eno album with U2 as his backing band...a couple worthwhile songs on it, but not essential.
Ed Roach

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:53 am

My understanding is that Eno had been involved with U2 on all of their records from The Unforgettable Fire up to No Line in the Horizon, so if you weren't a fan of the stuff after Rattle and Hum, I don't see how that would make much of a difference.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:55 am

JGJR wrote:

My understanding is that Eno had been involved with U2 on all of their records from The Unforgettable Fire up to No Line in the Horizon, so if you weren't a fan of the stuff after Rattle and Hum, I don't see how that would make much of a difference.

Nope. Check the credits. Maybe half of them.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

He didn't do Pop or How To Dismantle, I know that off the top of my head. Probably more.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:01 am

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

He didn't do Pop or How To Dismantle, I know that off the top of my head. Probably more.

Rattle & Hum
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Then many I remembered it wrong and that he's been involved in most, but far from all of their stuff over the last 30 years.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:29 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Then many I remembered it wrong and that he's been involved in most, but far from all of their stuff over the last 30 years.

TBH, until I recently looked at the credits on their website I thought they did everything from Joshua on!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:42 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

TBH, until I recently looked at the credits on their website I thought they did everything from Joshua on!

This except I thought it was from The Unforgettable Fire on up until the new one (which I know he's not on).
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm

That's what I meant, oops!
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Pop > No Line on the Horizon
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:51 pm

WrEtcH wrote:Pop > No Line on the Horizon

I'm gonna listen to that one soon. I haven't in a long time but I remember not hating it.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Listening to “No Line On The Horizon” now. Will report back.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:

I'm gonna listen to that one soon. I haven't in a long time but I remember not hating it.

first five songs

1. "Discothèque"
2. "Do You Feel Loved"
3. "Mofo"
4. "If God Will Send His Angels"
5. "Staring at the Sun"

all solid tunes. I think the expectations were high after "Actung Baby," but again, those are good songs. After that, I have to give it a listen to it again also, but there are songs after that are good listens also. Not all of 'em, but some of 'em.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:30 pm

gregpolard wrote:I'm going to revisit it. I remember balking when I saw Rolling Stone give it a 5 star rating. I like David Fricke but he's gotta be on the U2 payroll. He gives every album of theirs a perfect score.

I hate David Fricke. every time I see him on an Mtv or VH1 classic albums, I want to punch him in the nose. Dude always claims a top seller like METALLICA's black album or DEF LEPPARD's "Hysteria" is the best of their discography just because of number of copies it sold and the massive air play on the radio
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:32 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I'm going to revisit it. I remember balking when I saw Rolling Stone give it a 5 star rating. I like David Fricke but he's gotta be on the U2 payroll. He gives every album of theirs a perfect score.

I hate David Fricke. every time I see him on an Mtv or VH1 classic albums, I want to punch him in the nose. Dude always claims a top seller like METALLICA's black album or DEF LEPPARD's "Hysteria" is the best of their discography just because of number of copies it sold and the massive air play on the radio

I have online access to Rolling Stone so I re-read his review of the album (No Line). I think he’s a good reviewer, honestly. I just think he may wear the “fan” goggles a bit too much at times. But we all kinda do that with artists we love.
gregpolard

Postby wALLton » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:27 am

WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

first five songs

1. "Discothèque"
2. "Do You Feel Loved"
3. "Mofo"
5. "Staring at the Sun"

all solid tunes. I think the expectations were high after "Actung Baby," but again, those are good songs. After that, I have to give it a listen to it again also, but there are songs after that are good listens also. Not all of 'em, but some of 'em.

I wouldn't have thought expectations for Pop were THAT high, seeing as it actually followed Zooropa. ;)
wALLton

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:37 am

Fricke is a genuine fan. I still see him a couple times a year at little shows around NYC ( 6'5" dude tends to stick out in a crowd of 15). As far as the Rolling Stone reviews, the story goes that Jann Wenner will frequently insist on a certain number of stars for certain records. I don't know how that carries over to the text itself. I gave the example of Rolling Stone's classic 5-star review for Mick Jagger's otherwise-universally-loathed Goddess in the Doorway. In that instance Wenner went so far as to write the review himself. While P4K may bend over backwards to keep up the appearance of being on the cutting edge of cool, Rolling Stone makes no bones about attempting to help their buddies boost sales with those 5-star reviews.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... y-20011206

Here's another 5-star RS review (again by Fricke). It's for that John Fogerty trots out his greatest hits with guest stars piece of shit from last year. I love Fogerty, but there is no way way in hell this is even a decent record (I've heard enough of it).

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... e-20130523
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:55 am

Same with this U2, it's not a 5 star record (even the new one isn't)

I'd give "No Line" a 3 now, whereas before I probably would've said 2.5 or 2.

As for the new one, it's 4 stars for me, not 5. Does anyone care? Probably not.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:58 pm

wALLton wrote:
I wouldn't have thought expectations for Pop were THAT high, seeing as it actually followed Zooropa. ;)

LOL! that's on me forgetting the album sequence, but yeah, the expectations were high because they were also pushing that Popmart tour to go along with the album.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby crus » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:28 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

first five songs

1. "Discothèque"
2. "Do You Feel Loved"
3. "Mofo"
5. "Staring at the Sun"

I remember Peter Murphy stating (for Details magazine?) he thought some of the songs off Pop were goth. I never bothered with Zooropa as the singles were awful but enjoyed Pop. I haven't listened to it for years though as I sold my CD copy.
crus

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:26 am

scannest wrote:Fricke is a genuine fan. I still see him a couple times a year at little shows around NYC ( 6'5" dude tends to stick out in a crowd of 15). As far as the Rolling Stone reviews, the story goes that Jann Wenner will frequently insist on a certain number of stars for certain records. I don't know how that carries over to the text itself. I gave the example of Rolling Stone's classic 5-star review for Mick Jagger's otherwise-universally-loathed Goddess in the Doorway. In that instance Wenner went so far as to write the review himself. While P4K may bend over backwards to keep up the appearance of being on the cutting edge of cool, Rolling Stone makes no bones about attempting to help their buddies boost sales with those 5-star reviews.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... y-20011206

Here's another 5-star RS review (again by Fricke). It's for that John Fogerty trots out his greatest hits with guest stars piece of shit from last year. I love Fogerty, but there is no way way in hell this is even a decent record (I've heard enough of it).

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... e-20130523

When I lived in NYC, I would see him at shows on occasion as well. One example of note is the Love/Chesterfield Kings bill at Warsaw that was part of CMJ in 2003. He was accompanied by Kurt Loder, FWIW. And I really enjoyed his column in RS (when we were getting it for free) where he reviewed more obscure stuff. I don't bother with his reviews of U2, et al. I think he is a genuine fan (to say the least) for sure.

And BTW, I don't remember the lead single from Goddess in the Doorway being THAT bad at all. Is the rest of it just that much more abysmal or something?
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:59 pm

JGJR wrote:And BTW, I don't remember the lead single from Goddess in the Doorway being THAT bad at all. Is the rest of it just that much more abysmal or something?

Um...It's a Mick Jagger solo album. That should tell you all you need to know.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:39 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:And BTW, I don't remember the lead single from Goddess in the Doorway being THAT bad at all. Is the rest of it just that much more abysmal or something?

pshaw! you don't know brilliance when you hear it, bub!
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:28 am

version sound wrote:

Have you ever heard one in its entirety? Heck, I have no desire to and probably couldn't even name a single Mick Jagger solo track without Googling it, but I just wondered if that particular one is really as bad as its reputation (some seem to think it's one of the worst records ever made). I want scannest to weigh in as possibly the biggest Stones fan on this board.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 am

EDIT: I take it all back. I just listened to a few songs from that record, and it's no worse than anything the Stones have done in the last 20 years.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:01 am

On the U2 front...I'm digging into the "You Talkin' U2 to Me?" podcasts. I'm on the first Achtung Baby episode now, it's almost done.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:43 am

gregpolard wrote:On the U2 front...I'm digging into the "You Talkin' U2 to Me?" podcasts. I'm on the first Achtung Baby episode now, it's almost done.

I have followed suit and I'm listening to the first one now. Interesting stuff and I love Adam Scott from Party Down and some of his flicks, so that is interesting to me as well.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:44 am

Finished the second "Achtung Baby" one now. Taking a break and will probably resume with the "Zooropa" episode tomorrow.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 am

BEST. PODCAST. EVER.

I love the way the two Scotts interact.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:55 am

version sound wrote:BEST. PODCAST. EVER.

I love it too. I've laughed out loud at my desk quite a few times. I'm sure my co-workers think I'm even more insane than they already do. I was a little sceptical at first because I was like "will I really care if they don't exclusively discuss U2?" but they do a great job of keeping me interested. I may not even make it to tomorrow before I end up listening to another episode.

I wish they'd do an R.E.M. podcast like that, since Adam Scott is a huge fan apparently.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:58 am

I like it a lot so far (halfway through the 1st episode), but the U2 thing is a red herring. It's really an excuse for them to talk about '80s pop culture, growing up and to make funny, unrelated jokes and I am OK with that!
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:01 am

gregpolard wrote:

I love it too. I've laughed out loud at my desk quite a few times. I'm sure my co-workers think I'm even more insane than they already do. I was a little sceptical at first because I was like "will I really care if they don't exclusively discuss U2?" but they do a great job of keeping me interested. I may not even make it to tomorrow before I end up listening to another episode.

I wish they'd do an R.E.M. podcast like that, since Adam Scott is a huge fan apparently.

There is the Staind Glass episode where they discuss the band Staind with Todd Glass.

There have been several episodes of YTU2TM that I had to turn off because I was laughing uncontrollably and my co-workers thought I was insane.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:05 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

There is the Staind Glass episode where they discuss the band Staind with Todd Glass.

There have been several episodes of YTU2TM that I had to turn off because I was laughing uncontrollably and my co-workers thought I was insane.

I was wondering what that title was a reference to. haha
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:07 am

Listening to the Zooropa episode of the podcast now. I want to hear this Passengers album. It's not even on iTunes or anything.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:12 am

gregpolard wrote:Listening to the Zooropa episode of the podcast now. I want to hear this Passengers album. It's not even on iTunes or anything.

Really? Did you search the title? You can get the used CD for nearly nothing.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:15 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Listening to the Zooropa episode of the podcast now. I want to hear this Passengers album. It's not even on iTunes or anything.

Really? Did you search the title? You can get the used CD for nearly nothing.

I'll double check next time I'm on the home computer. I was surprised it wasn't available.
gregpolard

Return to daghouse