Christian Death

Christian Death

Postby the mean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 am

I'm not a huge fan, but the history of this band fascinates me.

1. OG lineup with Rozz and Rikk Agnew
2. OG's are phased out leaving Rozz and possibly Belanger
3. Band breaks up
4. Rozz reforms band with members of Pompeii 99, including Valor
5. European Tour: abandon the bassist in Paris
6. Rozz leaves, leaving no OG members
7. Valor and Rozz agree that Valor can continue with name "Sin & Sacrifice of a Christian Death" or something like that
8. Valor releases a record under the name "For Sin And Sacrifice We Die A Christian Death" and another using the name "The Sin And Sacrifice Of A Christian Death"
9. Valor then says "fuck it" and reverts back to the name "Christian Death"
10. Rozz reforms most of the OG lineup and tours
11. Rozz releases a couple studio records under the name "Christian Death" with no other OG members
12. Rozz stops releasing records under the name "Christian Death" and instead uses "Christian Death featuring Rozz Williams" and "Christ Death featuring Rozz Williams"
13. Rozz kills himself
14. Valor continues on using the name "Christian Death" with a rotating cast of other members
15. Not dead OG members reform under the name "Christian Death 1334" and/or "CD 1334" and supposedly record an LP
Last edited by the mean on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the mean

Re: Christian Death

Postby MXV » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:42 pm

You missed the parts where Valor released records for years as Christian Death. That version of the band put out a LOT of records. There was also a lawsuit between Rozz and Valor over the name and Valor won which meant Rozz had to perform under the name "Christian Death featuring Rozz Williams" in certain parts of the world, if not all of it. There was also a time when both Valor's Christian Death and Rozz's reformed OG version was playing shows at the same time, confusing everyone.

Some of the Valor Christian Death is pretty good but nothing compares to the OG version and that first album. That thing is a masterpiece.

The tale of two Christian Deaths is a fairly unique one as one evolved out of the other one over time and the lawsuit only happened years later when the original version decided to reunite. It was far different from the tale of two Cro-Mags and the tale of two Life Sentences which was just a bunch of babies who couldn't get along suing each other as they all felt entitled to the name and couldn't keep it together enough to stay a band for the good of both the band and the fans.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby the mean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:35 pm

MXV wrote:You missed the parts where Valor released records for years as Christian Death. That version of the band put out a LOT of records.

That was basically covered by (9) and (14), but yeah.
Last edited by the mean on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the mean

Postby the mean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:36 pm

MXV wrote:The tale of two Christian Deaths is a fairly unique one as one evolved out of the other one over time and the lawsuit only happened years later when the original version decided to reunite. It was far different from the tale of two Cro-Mags and the tale of two Life Sentences which was just a bunch of babies who couldn't get along suing each other as they all felt entitled to the name and couldn't keep it together enough to stay a band for the good of both the band and the fans.

Somewhat similar to TSOL.
the mean

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm

"only theater of pain" is the ONLY album you need
(even though I have the others)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby the mean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 pm

ALL the others?
the mean

Postby tango fistula » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:58 pm

10. I saw that tour. At the Anthrax. Very very weird nite. Rikk in sweatpants...as always
tango fistula

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Nothing beats the first LP. But I like Catastrophe Ballet and Ashes, too. Never heard Rozz-less CD.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Stormy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 am

top 10 band of all time for me. don't listen to the people who will say silly crap like "Only Theatre is all you need. That album is EXCELLENT, but just scratches the surface, and is by no means their best work. Even the Deathwish ep is much better. The Deathwish versions of the OTOP songs are superior, imo. Also great (with Rozz) is the 1985 demo with the songs Halo and Spectre (Love is Dead), available on the Invocations CD, along with some great really early live stuff and a 1981 demo of Romeo's Distress (Rozz kinda sounds like a young Robert Smith on that). The Skeleton Kiss ep is decent, but worth it for the cover of Numan's Down by the Park, as well as the campy s/t track. Catastrophe Ballet and Ashes are MASTERPEICES, and trump OTOP, Rikk Agnew or not. Those albums are the pinnacle of goth punk. Anyway, i could talk about this band forever. The punks can stick to the first LP, fine by me. What they're missing is pure genius.

Here's a comp i put together a few years back. It has tracks from the ep, the 3 LPs, a couple of 1985 demo tracks, some unreleased stuff, some alternate version live stuff, and the '81 demo of Romeo. Pretty good overview of the band in their prime. 320 rip. Enjoy

http://bg.firstpress.net/Burnt%20Offerings.zip
Stormy

Postby MXV » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:19 am

Stormy - How do you like the non-Rozz Christian Death?
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Stormy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:21 pm

From the albums i've heard, it's not my thing.
couple good tracks on Atrocities, but i don't venture past there
Stormy

Return to daghouse