What live records are your favorite?

What live records are your favorite?

Postby The Snake » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:31 pm

I don´t know if such a thread was in the past on the board...
So, do you like live records?
What do you like a or dislike about them?
Which ones are your favorite live records?

3 great live records that pops in my mind all the time and that I listen often are:

THE RITES - There Shall Be No Encore
http://www.discogs.com/Rites-There-Shal ... se/2839083

This is the best live hc/punk record that I´ve ever heard! The sound is perfect and it is not overproduced. The playing is so tight that you can´t believe it. The performance is top notch and so furious and energetic. The booing, insults and jokes between the songs are hilarious (also, if you are listening the record on headphones you can better detect all the stuff from the audience). There is also cool cover of one of the best GG songs - Don´t Talk To Me (it is not listed on discogs, not sure why). Cover art is also nice, blood stains on bass guitar and LP is one sided on white with a joke on the other wax side. Anyway, this record is 15 songs of live hc/punk perfection. You can download the record here: http://utsurface.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-rites.html

ADOLESCENTS - Live 1981 And 1986
http://www.discogs.com/Adolescents-Live ... ster/50327

Since Adolescents blue album is one of my favorite records, I can easily listen to any good live versions of that LP. This live record is cool and I listen to it a lot. The sound is not perfect, but even better, it is raw and energetic in a kind of sloppy and snotty way. As the title say, the record is consisted of two live shows from 1981. and 1986. But honestly, I can´t tell the difference, because the whole record is great. Also, it is a good mix of almost every song from blue album (two missing songs are I Hate Children & Democracy), all the songs from Welcome To Reality EP and two more tracks. The Liar is a great song that was originally recorded on the same session as other Welcome To Reality tracks and I Got a Right is a great cover of The Stooges, one of the best cover versions of that song. There are also some funny announcements of the songs that always cracks me up even though I heard the record million times. There are two more live Adolescents records called Return To the Black Hole (1990.) and Live at the House of Blues (2004.) and both are pretty good, but Live 1981 And 1986 is still my favorite.

THE ADICTS - Live And Loud!!
http://www.discogs.com/Adicts-Live-And- ... se/1848690

This record was released in 1987. but the show is from 1981. I had this on tape for years without a song list and to this date it is one of my favorite live records. Maybe it will sound strange to you, but I like these versions better than the studio versions. Probably because the songs on this record are way more raw and a bit faster than the studio versions. Also, it is a really good mix of early Adicts songs, all the hits are here! The sound is perfect and performance is great. Some stuff said between the songs is also entertaining. There are two more Adicts live records, Live At The Moonlight Club 28.2.82 tape and Rockers Into the Orbit (recorded 1987. and released 1990. this one is not even close to Live And Loud). I am confused with the Live At The Moonlight Club 28.2.82 tape because it has almost the same song list as the Live And Loud record, even though it says on Live And Loud cover that it is from 1981. Is this the same show but the year on the cover is wrong or what, does anybody know more about this? Anyway, great and fun live record, so get it if you haven´t heard it yet.
Last edited by The Snake on Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Snake

Re: What live records are your favorite?

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Decline soundtrack
Rat Music Vol. I
Velvet Underground - Live at the Gymnasium
Hendrix - Live at the Fillmore East
PiL - Paris au Printemps
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby The Snake » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:48 pm

Yeah, Decline soundtrack is also cool, even though I´m not into all the bands on it.
The Snake

Postby tango fistula » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Sam Cooke- "Live at the Harlem Square club"
J.T. and the Heartbreakers- "Live at Max's"
Ramones- "It's Alive"
Jerry Lee Lewis- "Live at the Star Club"
tango fistula

Postby The Snake » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Also, honorable mention is Tear It Up - bonus live tracks on Taking You Down With Me CD & tape.
Not recorded with a soundboard, but this live recording is as furious as it gets.
The Snake

Postby crus » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:11 pm

Hanx!
At Budokan
crus

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Liveage
Hallraker
Kiss Alive
Beethoven Was Deaf
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:21 pm

I honestly only listen to 2 live albums ever:

Trailblazer
The Living End
FormerLurker

Postby Stormy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Swans - Public Castration is a Good Idea
Not many albums like this, live or not. This just leaves you completely fucked after listening (if you can endure the full Cd in one sitting). Complete nihilism. A draining experience to put it mildly.

Christian Death - Decomposition of Violets
The perfect middle ground between Only Theatre and the Rozz/Valor masterpieces "Catastrophe Ballet" and "Ashes". All the greatest (im my opinion anyway) from the mighty trifecta. The re-worked version of Only Theatre (he song) trumps the LP version. Same with Cervix Couch, which is loaded with atmosphere to spare. When i'm in the mood for Xian Death, this is the one i usually reach for.

Agnostic Front live at CBGB
Best recordings of the best songs. A must have for any HC fan.

Maiden Japan - full set
see description for AF

Night of the Living Dead Boys
sets from Screamers 2xCD
Joy Division - Live in Amsterdam 1980 (perfection)
JP - Unleashed in the East

for startes
loys of live BBC and Peel stuff - Damned, Joy Division, Chelsea, NAPALM DEATH (best grind ever recorded), Carcass, Bolt Thrower, E.N.T. (their best stuff by MILES)...
Last edited by Stormy on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormy

Postby The Snake » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:39 pm

FormerLurker wrote:I honestly only listen to 2 live albums ever:

Trailblazer
The Living End

Both are good!
The Snake

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:47 pm

no who live at leeds yet? you guys are nuts.

that 75 sabbath show is awesome. soundboard never released officially, but they kill it.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby The Snake » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:54 pm

If Peel Sessions are also considered live records (it is live in the studio, eh?), than yes, there are some great stuff, especially Napalm Death, E. N. T. and Ripcord.

Bootlegs also counts if you think that recording/performance/whatever is OK.
For example, I have a CD bootleg of Bad Religion, called Hate Yourself. It is a live recording from Netherlands 1989. Suffer tour.
28 songs, performance is great (the only thing that is missing are harmonic back vocals, but even without that, it is a great record), the sound is ripping and you get almost all songs from Suffer, half of the How Could Hell Be Any Worse and almost whole first EP and Back to the Unknown EP. Good stuff.
The Snake

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:44 pm

Peel Sessions are not live.

Add the first Jane's Addiction record to my list.

Speaking of Sabbath, I have a live DVD of Paris 1970 that kills. Not an album, though. Same goes for that early live show on the recentish Zeppelin DVD set.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:56 pm

Cockney Rejects - Greatest Hit Vol 3
Descendents - Liveage
lewdd

Postby jason powell » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:59 pm

AF @ CBGB's
Janes Addiction triple x album
Who live at leeds
Band of Gypsies
U2 @ red rocks
I have a bootleg Husker Du set that is awesome, its what I put on when I want to hear them, its like the AF one, great recordings of their hits
I also have a practice tape / demo of Youth of Today that is great, its just really raw and unpolished, I prefer it to everything they released officially
jason powell

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:06 am

No love for: Government Issue - LIVE ("w/ old fashioned "Shining" photo that helped the record tank" cover on Mystic :?: :!: :lol: Or Strange Wine - Live at CBGB :?:

I'll forgive you all.

Mine:

JACK GRISHAM/RON EMORY/MIKE ROACHE/TODD BARNES - Live 1991 (they weren't allowed to use the TSOL name after Jack's brother in law, Joe Woods bought it. Still a great recording of all the songs you'd wanna hear ... except the Beneath the Shadows, unfortunately.

Ramones - It's Alive

Who - Live at Leeds

Gene - Rising for Sunset. - people may call them the poor man's Smiths & singer Martin Rossiter a wannabe Morrissey but I love this band. And listened to them a lot more often than Smiths. I go back in forth over both groups nowadays.

Bash & Pop - live in S. Dakota (bootleg edog made for me. 8-) Tommy's pretty drunk but reminds me totally of the Johnny Thunders & Heartbreakers @ Speakeasy live where JT is giving the kids so much shit for not dancing. And Bash & Pop tear into the best rendition ever recorded of "Crocodile Rock".

Johnny Thunders & Heartbreakers - Live at the Speakeasy. Surpasses the Live at Max's by miles :!:

The Smiths - Thank your Lucky Stars (bootleg edog made me, too :mrgreen: ) - so much better than any official Smiths live recording because you will hear them playing certain songs very early on so they're not perfect. And as one writer wrote on the Smiths bootlegs youtube clip: "The venue had hired the local football team to act as bodyguards for the Smiths. Some fans were trying to get on stage but the footballers caught them and started kicking their heads in - Morrissey's shouting was at the footballers for beating up his fans, not at the fans themselves." This was when Moz really cared about his fans enough to fight for them. :o
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby The Snake » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:32 am

Stabb, I just listened yesterday that TSOL 1991 live, it is a cool live record.
As for GI, I still haven´t heard No Way Out 82, is it good?

Jason, I also have some Husker Du bootlegs that are pretty good.
That YOT Don Fury demo is great, I agree with you on that.

There are also some cool live on radio shows, but I was more thinking about actual live records here.
The Snake

Postby Neal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:00 am

i don't ever really listen to live stuff. the sound quality plus not actually seeing the performance isn't that interesting to me.

except, rkl - greatest hits live.
Neal

Postby tango fistula » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 am

THIS

http://pastdaily.com/wp-content/uploads ... 6-1977.mp3

It did finally come out on vinyl after being a holy grail bootleg...

A great performance from one of the top 10 best punk guitarists and possibly the best overall punk vocalist.

Yep...Bailey is that good in my world.
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:23 am

version sound wrote:Peel Sessions are not live.

Well live in the studio with no overdubs is my understanding, but I could be wrong.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 am

john stabb wrote:The Smiths - Thank your Lucky Stars (bootleg edog made me, too :mrgreen: ) - so much better than any official Smiths live recording because you will hear them playing certain songs very early on so they're not perfect. And as one writer wrote on the Smiths bootlegs youtube clip: "The venue had hired the local football team to act as bodyguards for the Smiths. Some fans were trying to get on stage but the footballers caught them and started kicking their heads in - Morrissey's shouting was at the footballers for beating up his fans, not at the fans themselves." This was when Moz really cared about his fans enough to fight for them. :o

Interesting. One could say lots of (positive and negative) things about Moz, but I do think he still cares for his fans (show cancellations aside) given his recent comments.

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_140805_01

I mean, what other pop star would write something like that?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:28 am

tango fistula wrote:THIS

http://pastdaily.com/wp-content/uploads ... 6-1977.mp3

It did finally come out on vinyl after being a holy grail bootleg...

A great performance from one of the top 10 best punk guitarists and possibly the best overall punk vocalist.

Yep...Bailey is that good in my world.

It also came out as disc 4 of the All Times Through Paradise box set at some point in the last decade or so. I had no idea it was released on vinyl, but yeah this set is smoking hot! That version of "Demolition Girl"...oh man. I'm listening to it now, so thanks for posting it. Where can I find the vinyl release?
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 am

A couple that haven't been mentioned yet (I'll leave bootlegs out of this as the list would get crazy long):

Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now
Elvis Costello - Live at the El Mocambo Club
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live at the Fillmore East
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby drew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:30 am

A lot of great stuff already mentioned.....

James Brown- Revolution of the mind(live at the Apollo vol3)
King Crimson- The Nightwatch(live '73)
Rollins Band- Turned on
Rollins Band- Insert Band Here
Talking Heads- The Name of This band is Talking Heads

...some of my faves not including Jazz albums cause that wouldn't be fair.......
drew

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 am

JGJR wrote:
john stabb wrote:The Smiths - Thank your Lucky Stars (bootleg edog made me, too :mrgreen: ) - so much better than any official Smiths live recording because you will hear them playing certain songs very early on so they're not perfect. And as one writer wrote on the Smiths bootlegs youtube clip: "The venue had hired the local football team to act as bodyguards for the Smiths. Some fans were trying to get on stage but the footballers caught them and started kicking their heads in - Morrissey's shouting was at the footballers for beating up his fans, not at the fans themselves." This was when Moz really cared about his fans enough to fight for them. :o

Interesting. One could say lots of (positive and negative) things about Moz, but I do think he still cares for his fans (show cancellations aside) given his recent comments.

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_140805_01

I mean, what other pop star would write something like that?

He LOVES his fans. Still does. Reading the autobiography cemented that for me. If he doesn't feel like he can give 100% at the show, he doesn't play it. As frustrating as it can be sometimes, would you want to see him half ass it? He brings his own security with him on tour so that fans don't get hurt.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:35 am

scannest wrote:Elvis Costello - Live at the El Mocambo Club

This. IMO, though, the absolute hottest EC & The Attractions bootleg (the above was originally promo only so official, but heavily bootlegged until an official release on the 2 1/2 Years box set in 1993; it's OOP since then) is this.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... And_Anchor

Not coincidentally, this was recorded a few years after that Saints show at the same club. Steve Nieve wasn't with them then, so they got Martin Belmont on 2nd guitar and it rawks.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:45 am

JGJR wrote:This. IMO, though, the absolute hottest EC & The Attractions bootleg (the above was originally promo only so official, but heavily bootlegged until an official release on the 2 1/2 Years box set in 1993; it's OOP since then) is this.

I found that EC website when I was searching for info on those 1986 Broadway shows. There are actual links to FLAC downloads for a lot of these boots which is terrific! You can actually d/l the boot you reference here:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -14_London

(link is on the right)
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:47 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:This. IMO, though, the absolute hottest EC & The Attractions bootleg (the above was originally promo only so official, but heavily bootlegged until an official release on the 2 1/2 Years box set in 1993; it's OOP since then) is this.

I found that EC website when I was searching for info on those 1986 Broadway shows. There are actual links to FLAC downloads for a lot of these boots which is terrific! You can actually d/l the boot you reference here:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -14_London

(link is on the right)

Thanks, but I actually have it on CD and upped it years ago. I think it's on the 80 GB iPod classic. I did dl some other shows from that site not that long ago, though. It is quite awesome. Anyway, if you've never heard it, I HIGHLY recommend it.
JGJR

Postby MXV » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:10 am

Here's a few of mine:

Butthole Surfers - Live PCPPEP: This is probably my favorite live record of all time. It was the first Butthole Surfers record I found back when i was a teenager and shortly after I found the first EP. The live recording is amazing and their performance was really intense. These live versions blow away all the studio versions by a mile and this record made me a fan for life (and by life I mean until they left Touch and Go and did Pioughed which started them on the long line of suck).

Husker Du - Land Speed Record: First off if you are listening to this on CD you are doing yourself a disservice as it sounds infinitely shittier than the vinyl. Yeah even the vinyl isn't the best sound quality on earth but it's fine and this album captures this band in their early hardcore phase where they played super fast, tight, and they didn't come up for air in between songs. The only break in the set is when you have to flip the record over! Side one is nearly perfect. I love the cover art for this album too.

Skinny Puppy - Ain't It Dead Yet: This album and the accompanying video show the band at the top of their game and it was an amazing performance with amazing sound. Some of the songs on this are superior to their studio counterparts. The funny thing was they only got better from there until the point where the band fell apart and broke up (and someone died).

Dead Boys - Night of the Living Dead Boys: I pick this only because it has "Detention Home" on it and it's a real crime they didn't record that song in a studio as it is probably my favorite Dead Boys tune.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:14 am

MXV wrote:Husker Du - Land Speed Record: First off if you are listening to this on CD you are doing yourself a disservice as it sounds infinitely shittier than the vinyl.

I find that to be true for every SST-era Huskers record (and a lot of SST stuff in general) and yes I know it wasn't originally on SST, but my point remains.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:15 am

MXV wrote:
Skinny Puppy - Ain't It Dead Yet: This album and the accompanying video show the band at the top of their game and it was an amazing performance with amazing sound. Some of the songs on this are superior to their studio counterparts. The funny thing was they only got better from there until the point where the band fell apart and broke up (and someone died).

Never seen the video but the album is good.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:16 am

Neal wrote:
except, rkl - greatest hits live.

I need to get a copy of this one.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 am

Stormy wrote:Swans - Public Castration is a Good Idea
Not many albums like this, live or not. This just leaves you completely fucked after listening (if you can endure the full Cd in one sitting). Complete nihilism. A draining experience to put it mildly.

The perfect middle ground between Only Theatre and the Rozz/Valor masterpieces "Catastrophe Ballet" and "Ashes". All the greatest (im my opinion anyway) from the mighty trifecta. The re-worked version of Only Theatre (he song) trumps the LP version. Same with Cervix Couch, which is loaded with atmosphere to spare. When i'm in the mood for Xian Death, this is the one i usually reach for.

Maiden Japan - full set
see description for AF

sets from Screamers 2xCD

for startes
loys of live BBC and Peel stuff - Damned, Joy Division, Chelsea, NAPALM DEATH (best grind ever recorded), Carcass, Bolt Thrower, E.N.T. (their best stuff by MILES)...

That Swans album is one of the best they've ever done and gets my vote for the heaviest album that I've ever heard. I haven't heard that CD album, sounds interesting for sure. JD are one my favorite bands, but the live stuff I've heard isn't so hot in terms of sound.

Re: AF, that's a classic of course. Have you heard the unedited version of the album? It's worth checking out.
patient_ot

Postby the mean » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 am

7SECONDS - live: one plus one

Most of this was recorded at the first show I ever attended. If you listen close, you can hear me on "Somebody Help Me Scream."
the mean

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:24 am

Here are some I like:

Miles Davis: live evil & dark magus
Wes Montgomery: smokin' at the half note
Townes Van Zandt: live at the old quarter
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 am

patient_ot wrote:Townes Van Zandt: live at the old quarter

I keep seeing this for under $20 and it's a double Lp. I should take the plunge, but I only have Delta Momma Blues and a CD that has 2 albums (High, Lo and In Between and one other one) and I enjoy them but have never gotten the bug to get all of his stuff.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:11 am

JG, pretty much all of TVZ's stuff from the 60s/70s is worth hearing. There is a cheapo boxset called Texas Troubadour that you can pick up for around $20 that has all his studio albums. However, I'm not sure how "legit" the release is in terms of making sure his estate gets paid (it's a UK release on Charly). I remember reading that his estate went through a legal battle to remove a lot of his catalog from the control of a few different labels. I do believe the releases on Fat Possum are legit though...

Re: the live album, a lot of people like that one because it's very stripped down and not as produced as the studio stuff.
patient_ot

Postby Gary » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Cheap Trick-at budokan
MC5-thunder express
Wayne Kramer & The Pink Fairies-cocaine blues
AC/DC-live at Atlantic Studios
Deep Purple-made in japan
Saxon-the eagle has landed

Generally not a fan of live punk/hardcore records although I do like

Agnostic Front-live at cbgb's
Govenment Issue-finale
Scream-your choice live series
Gary

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:17 pm

patient_ot wrote:JG, pretty much all of TVZ's stuff from the 60s/70s is worth hearing. There is a cheapo boxset called Texas Troubadour that you can pick up for around $20 that has all his studio albums. However, I'm not sure how "legit" the release is in terms of making sure his estate gets paid (it's a UK release on Charly). I remember reading that his estate went through a legal battle to remove a lot of his catalog from the control of a few different labels. I do believe the releases on Fat Possum are legit though...

Re: the live album, a lot of people like that one because it's very stripped down and not as produced as the studio stuff.

I'm almost positive you're correct re: the Fat Possum releases (that's where my copy of Delta Momma Blues is from). Have you seen the great documentary about him? I think I got the CD used (it's on a different label; forget which one).
JGJR

Postby danny » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:08 pm

yes - yessongs
ralph mctell - live
sham 69 - tell us the truth (side 2)
the who - live at leeds
johnny cash - at folsom prison
james brown - live at the apollo
motorhead - no sleep til hammersmith
raidohead - i might be wrong

and this is a tough one because there hundreds, if not thousands, of amazing live jazz recordings from the 50s and 60s. Just a few off the top of my head that i really love...
Live at Golden Circle - Ornette Coleman
A Love Supreme Live in Concert - John Coltrane
Diz and Bird at Carnegie Hall - Gillespie/Parker
At Newport - Dizzy Gillespie
In Person at the Blackhawk Vol. 1 - Miles Davis
Live at the Lighthouse - Lee Morgan
Miles and Monk at Newport - Miles Davis/Thelonious Monk
Ellington At Newport 1956 - Duke Ellington
Bird at Birdland - Charlie Parker
My Funny Valentine 1964 - Miles Davis
Live at Birdland - John Coltrane
Sunday at the Village Vanguard - Bill Evans
Night in Tunisia - Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonious in Action - Thelonious Monk
Live at the Plugged Nickel - Miles Davis
Take Five - Dave Brubeck
Live at the Village Vanguard - John Coltrane
Jazz at the Oberlin - Dave Brubeck
danny

Postby The Snake » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Yeah, I totally forgot about Husker Du - Land Speed Record, that one is great too!
Also, Iron Maiden - Live After Death double LP, solid selection of songs from the first 5 albums and awesome performance.
The Snake

Postby akissfan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:01 pm

akissfan

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:09 pm

scannest

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:15 pm

THE RAMONES - "It's Alive"
THIN LIZZY "Live And Dangerous" & "Life"
SCORPIONS - "Tokyo Tapes"
JUDAS PRIEST -"Priest In The East"
MOTORHEAD - "No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith"
ALL / DESCENDENTS - "Live +One" (because my pic is in the booklet :lol: )
UFO - "Strangers In the Night"
ANGEL WITCH - "Live"
EXODUS - "Another Lesson In Violence"
DEPECHE MODE "101"
THE CURE - "Show"
AC/DC - "If You Want Blood"
SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES - "Nocturne"
BAUHAUS - "Gotham"

shall we move on to live DVD's?
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:16 pm

FormerLurker wrote:I honestly only listen to 2 live albums ever:

Trailblazer
The Living End

no "Live+One" ?
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:57 pm

I would put Trailblazer on a short list of Most Useless Live Records Ever. Just completely pointless, and I was at the show.
scannest

Postby Stormy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:40 pm

patient_ot wrote:
Stormy wrote:Swans - Public Castration is a Good Idea

Maiden Japan - full set
see description for AF

sets from Screamers 2xCD

for starters
lots of live BBC and Peel stuff - Damned, Joy Division, Chelsea, NAPALM DEATH (best grind ever recorded), Carcass, Bolt Thrower, E.N.T. (their best stuff by MILES)...

That Swans album is one of the best they've ever done and gets my vote for the heaviest album that I've ever heard. I haven't heard that CD album, sounds interesting for sure. JD are one my favorite bands, but the live stuff I've heard isn't so hot in terms of sound.

Re: AF, that's a classic of course. Have you heard the unedited version of the album? It's worth checking out.

Never heard the unedited version of AF at CBGB, but now i'm curious. I think i spin that more than any other AF at this point. Liberty and Justice a second. Love everything up to that era.

I'm with you on Joy Division, and i've heard MANY boots and legit live sets, which are pretty hit or miss. The live Amsterdam, 1980 is the band at top of their live game. The set list, the performance, the energy, even the production... it's just perfect. I'm not much of a "live album" guy for the most part (the Amsterdam was never released - BIG mistake), but this is a must hear. It trumps all JD live sets by MILES, and most post-punk bands for that matter. You gotta hear it. You can grab it here:

http://bloggedquartered.blogspot.com/search?q=Joy+Division

Also, the Xian Death CD is AMAZING. Maybe better than most of their studio output.
Stormy

Postby worldismyfuse » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 pm

My all-time favorite live recording is Supertouch on WNYU.

Next would be The Horrible Truth About Burma.

Third favorite is The Name of This band is Talking Heads.
worldismyfuse

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:12 pm

Snake, glad someone else digs that Live TSOL cos I think it's a gem. I used to hate/feel embarrassed about the NO WAY OUT '82 because of the sloppiness in the performance and my coming off so obnoxious. Took me a while to finally see it for a great set of songs (we only practiced briefly w/ Brian before the gig so I like a bit of sloppy punkrock/hardcore happening :!: ) and my own obnoxiousness as a bit of an innocent, naive, challenge to NY. I never held back on what was on my mind then so I recommend the thing highly. ;)

danny's right about JC Live @ Folsom Prison but Live @ San Quentin ain't too shabby, either.

and JGJR, that was a cool letter from the Moz.

Now I really want to hear this Joy Division in Amsterdam. :o
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:49 pm

scannest wrote:I would put Trailblazer on a short list of Most Useless Live Records Ever. Just completely pointless, and I was at the show.

Curious what about it you don’t like? Set list? I can only offer the opinion of someone in hindsight obviously, as I wasn’t around then...but it would’ve probably made more sense for ALL to do a live album a few years later as opposed to 1989 or whenever Trailblazer came out, more Scott songs.
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse