Slang - Devastation in the Void

Slang - Devastation in the Void

Postby patient_ot » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Anyone hear this yet, or know if there is an American release on the horizon? I liked their last couple of albums.
patient_ot

Re: Slang - Devastation in the Void

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:20 pm

This is the first of heard of it, but I do agree the last two LPs were killers, though. Is Prank still around?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:33 pm

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Yeah, I have Glory. It's good. A bit more metal than the two previous ones. I'm curious about the new one, but might prefer to wait for an American release than drop $30-40 on a CD shipped from Japan.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:06 am

Looks like Cleopatra Recs (yes that label known for barrel scraping goth comps. and sketchy reissues) is releasing the album on CD next month.

http://www.amazon.com/Devastation-Void- ... evastation
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Weird. Doesn't seem like their bag at all.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Yeah, I've seen them sort of "branch out" lately. Sketchy looking punk and Krautrock/psych (on a sublabel called Purple Pyramid) reissues from them on vinyl have been showing up in stores.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Just listened to this for the first time. A little more straight forward than the last one, i.e. fewer metal touches. Very heavy. Need more listens to fully evaluate. CD mastering is crap, DR value is 4. Probably worth getting if you like this band.
patient_ot

Postby prankrec » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Prank is alive….and slowly getting well. A couple of years to overcommitting to "Chaos IN Tejas", doing some really expensive vinyl only Japanese releases, Keeping prices low and pressing quantity high 80's and 90's style and mostly, leaving Rainbo Records* as it's manufacturer and not receiving back all it's production parts blew a huge hole in the side of it that I've been slowly patching up.

( *NEVER NEVER NEVER use rainbo records for pressing any indie releases at this point, they don't care about my business, they probably don't care about yours)

I just released the newest REPLICA 45, and am going this weak to finally master the reissue of LIFESBLOOD "Defiance" + demos on LP, and am in the process of beginning to re-press catalog.

You can find updates here:
http://prankrecords.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/Prankrec
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PRANK-RE ... 0709506647
http://www.prankrecords.com
prankrec

Postby Welly » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Fuck it.
Last edited by Welly on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby Welly » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Fuck it.
Last edited by Welly on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby patient_ot » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:25 pm

prankrec wrote:

( *NEVER NEVER NEVER use rainbo records for pressing any indie releases at this point, they don't care about my business, they probably don't care about yours)

I heard Rainbo screwed the pooch on major label releases as well. Tons of Beatles and Depeche Mode 180 gram LPs with non-fill and other pressing defects, lots of people had returns on those...

Out of curiosity, who do you use for pressing vinyl now? New vinyl pressing quality is really hit or miss these days...
patient_ot

Postby prankrec » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:54 pm

I use Bill Smith. ANY plant can be hit or miss, and when Rainbo smartly DOWNSIZED their entire vinyl operation in 2005, they actually improved their plating and such….they just won't do the work, be responsive or seemingly care….. BSCR is expensive for 45's, and the plating ( which is done on the East Coast) is kind of wrench, but they're responsive and do my work. Their organization can sometimes hiccup, but I really like the records I make there. I am insistent on lacquer-cut mastering, kind of insistent on using George Horn here in the Bay Area, so it rules out DMM-records at Pirate's Press, though I have done projects there.

Pirates Press is actually the record pressing plant everyone wants: efficient, organized with reliable shipping dates. Just an element of collectors don;t like the DMM mastering and other elements of the production.
prankrec

Postby patient_ot » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I have some records pressed at Pirates/GZ and some are fine, others have more surface noise than they should.

The best new vinyl I've bought has been pressed at QRP in the U.S. or Pallas in Germany. I'd imagine both are expensive for a small indie to work with.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:17 pm

prankrec wrote:Prank is alive….and slowly getting well.

Glad to hear it. I've never heard anything on Prank that wasn't quality. This is crazy talk, but I don't suppose that Septic Death discography is ever going to happen? Also, any idea what Crow (the guy, not the band) is up to these days? I dug that last Kaiboushitsu LP. Is that his fulltime gig now?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby prankrec » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:13 am

I Need to Check in with CROW. Both Crow and Kaiboushitsu broke up at the same time. Tomio - the guitar player from Juntess who made 00's crow have the really heavy metallic sound is now playing with HAZARD.

I am unsure if the Septic Discography is ever going to happen. It's amazing this Life's Blood record is coming out, as it was a 10-15 year project. There's a lot of back burners like that- Copout, Ice Nine, that I need to crank back up on….but sometimes I'm not in charge of when stuff gets done…and then the project completely stalls. We WILL have lots of fun stuff going down for 2015, the label's 20th anniversary.
prankrec

Postby patient_ot » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:57 pm

@PrankRec, where were the Paintbox LPs pressed at? I never heard the LPs b/c I bought the CD versions, which are now in storage.

Last Prank release I bought was Forward - first LP on green vinyl. Was that done at Rainbo or your new plant?
patient_ot

Postby prankrec » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 am

Quality was not the issue for me at Rainbo, it was their complete lack of understanding or empathy that I was trying to run a small business. This was all the more infuriating to me, as I was one of their Steadiest and stronger vinyl customers before "the vinyl revival" and it wasn't until they had to collect all my materials that the Sales Rep realized I was actually a big account. Que sera. I had switched over to doing New Releases through Bill Smith earlier, about the point of the Paintbox records because of their lack of response. I think Rainbo is now upfront that their turnaround from Test Pressing Approval is four to five months, What Indie can sit on money that long?.

"Trip Trance and Travelling" has really really great vinyl mastering from George Horn. They CD mastering isn't that good. "relicts" was also done there. All the Forward records were remastered at George Horn and pressed at Bill Smith. The first Two paintbox are long out of print now.
prankrec

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:18 am

looking forward to that life's blood comp. had put it in the infest discography coming soon pile
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:06 pm

prankrec wrote:Quality was not the issue for me at Rainbo, it was their complete lack of understanding or empathy that I was trying to run a small business. This was all the more infuriating to me, as I was one of their Steadiest and stronger vinyl customers before "the vinyl revival" and it wasn't until they had to collect all my materials that the Sales Rep realized I was actually a big account. Que sera. I had switched over to doing New Releases through Bill Smith earlier, about the point of the Paintbox records because of their lack of response. I think Rainbo is now upfront that their turnaround from Test Pressing Approval is four to five months, What Indie can sit on money that long?.

"Trip Trance and Travelling" has really really great vinyl mastering from George Horn. They CD mastering isn't that good. "relicts" was also done there. All the Forward records were remastered at George Horn and pressed at Bill Smith. The first Two paintbox are long out of print now.

I'll have to compare some of my Prank stuff from Rainbo vs. Bill Smith just out of curiosity. I'm playing the green Forward LP now, and it sounds very good. So many punk/hc/indie labels seem to not give a toss about sound quality, it's nice to know someone out there is making an effort. Even with punk/hc, I want to hear the music clearly when I put on a CD or LP, not distorted/compressed/squashed just to make it sound loud at the expense of everything else, or pressed on warped vinyl that sounds like someone spilled a bowl of rice krispies on it.

My Paintbox CDs are all in storage, but I did rip them to mp3 before putting them away. I just checked the Dynamic Range on "Trip, Trance...", the average DR is a 6 for that album. Definitely not great, but not quite as bad as the new Slang CD (DR4 - yuck!). I may give the LP a try at some point. IMHO it's one of the best things I've heard in the last 10 years, in any genre.
patient_ot

Postby prankrec » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:09 pm

I don't get too hung up on the sonics of it- Remember this is music meant to played on a boom box while you 1) fight the cops 2) hand plant the half pipe 3) crush your empty beer cans into your forehead, etc……but there's no reason to skimp. My insistence has been to use George Horn ( http://www.discogs.com/artist/325845-George-Horn) for most of my releases. Really loyal to him even though he can mess up, like anyone. Who you choose to master the record probably effects the sound more than where it's actually pressed.
prankrec

Postby prankrec » Fri May 27, 2016 1:02 pm

well, that took much longer than I thought it would! We actually pressed this once and had to scrap the entire pressing! Insult to insult to insult to injury that prank's been through…..but the vinyl for "DEVASTATION IN THE VOID" is finally out now.

This is remastered at George horn for Vinyl, then plated at Mastercraft.
Order info here:
http://www.prankrecords.bigcartel.com
prankrec

Postby Welly » Fri May 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Fuck it.
Welly

Return to daghouse