Blood and Chocolate (E. Costello)

Blood and Chocolate (E. Costello)

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Released 28 years ago today (or so I have read). I go back and forth between this one and Get Happy!, but for today this is the best EC record. Amazing songs, ferocious singing and playing and just a remarkably ballsy production. Rumor has it Nick Lowe recorded all the backing tracks AND vocals live in the studio at the same time with the band playing at full volume. It's like the Attractions playing at being the Damned circa '77. Remarkable. I deeply regret not going to see them during their Broadway theater stint shortly after this came out in '86.
If I had to play one song that summed up everything I loved about Elvis it would be this one:

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: Blood and Chocolate (E. Costello)

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:33 pm

scannest wrote:Released 28 years ago today (or so I have read). I go back and forth between this one and Get Happy!, but for today this is the best EC record. Amazing songs, ferocious singing and playing and just a remarkably ballsy production. Rumor has it Nick Lowe recorded all the backing tracks AND vocals live in the studio at the same time with the band playing at full volume. It's like the Attractions playing at being the Damned circa '77. Remarkable. I deeply regret not going to see them during their Broadway theater stint shortly after this came out in '86.
If I had to play one song that summed up everything I loved about Elvis it would be this one:

Great post. This album is one of my all-time favorites (as are his 1st 5 albums, Imperial Bedroom and King of America). I think you know where I got my original username on here from since you know this album. My favorite song on it is "Poor Napoleon," though, which is the quietest on the album.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:36 pm

And I don't know that re: the recording technique. I wouldn't be surprised given Nick's general style and the sound of that record. In some ways, this album is the beginning of EC playing lead instead of rhythm and while it works here, it doesn't on some subsequent louder albums IMO. As much as I love this record, that caveat has to be mentioned. And you know that allegedly the song you posted is about Bebe Buell and Prince (listen to the lyrics closely), right? It's not the only Prince reference on that record. He was covering "Pop Life" regularly around that time period and "Blue Chair" is basically a rewrite of that song as well as "Manic Monday." And the versions of "I Hope You're Happy Now" and "Blue Chair" on that record are WAY better than others he released both before and after that album.
JGJR

Postby aquaman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:27 pm

So good, will play it now at work.
aquaman

Postby aquaman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:45 pm

Anyone else think they regret the effects covered vocal at the end of Tokyo Storm Warning?
aquaman

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:50 pm

aquaman wrote:Anyone else think they regret the effects covered vocal at the end of Tokyo Storm Warning?

I always dug that!
JGJR

Return to daghouse