So this came up last night...

So this came up last night...

Postby tango fistula » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:15 am

Way back when...when dinosaurs like The Outfield and Wang Chung roamed the grasslands....
It was somewhat well known which bands gigs brought the most attractive looking crowds...
And I know it's subjective BUT....

Its hard to explain that yeah Van Halen and Def Leppard brought out huge numbers of the opposite sex
but alot of underground shows did not.

And we DID notice.

I can name with certainty which bands (then) brought in a LOT of females and believe me most gigs brought
a limited amount due to fights, tuneless thrash, ect ect...

Social Distortion (1982-87) was easily 60/40 ladies to gents...everytime..
7 Seconds (1981-90?...)..the girls I knew had the TV eye for em...TRUE!
TSOL (1980-87) even part of the Joe era....

Rules of attraction as all the bands above have purdy boys in them?
Did the combo of hooks and looks act like a gateway for some people?
Is there an equivalent set of bands today or has the internet and "higher" principals
eliminated this?

Your thoughts? :ugeek:
tango fistula

Re: So this came up last night...

Postby Welly » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:24 am

I've always said that you know a band is onto something when there's a higher than normal female contingent.
Welly

Postby paul » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:30 pm

My chemical romance.
paul

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:54 pm

Seems a lot of Cali-Punk groups brought out the females and I bet there were some who had big crushes on Kevin Seconds with his long pretty hair. Fugazi definitely drew loads of females and Guy's "Iggy dance/orgasmic groaning-breakdowns" on stage left many a young punk girl weak in the knees. ;) Naked Raygun, too. But it all depends on what you find attractive in a female. I loved seeing the opposite sex with more character than tattooed love dolls. SD, Black Flag & TSOL had a pretty big (BBQ) Band Booty Queens factor to their gigs. I knew some DC Punk girls in the 80's that were into hooking up with those guys back then. Hell, G.I. were even approached by a few but I wasn't into them. Women you could talk to who weren't interested in hooking up with you was my thing. Now my guitarist ... :lol:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:03 am

And any L.A. Glam-rock metal act was bound to have tons of women there. That sleazy shit in Decline ll about Rikki Ratchethead's Cathouse turning the heat on during hot summertime @ Poison/L.A. Guns, etc. gigs so women took more clothes off is really lame. Douchebags. :roll:

These days I'd say you'll have a very female audience @ Replacements, N/R, Descendents & ALL- gigs. :mrgreen:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:53 pm

tango fistula wrote:Way back when...when dinosaurs like The Outfield and Wang Chung roamed the grasslands....
It was somewhat well known which bands gigs brought the most attractive looking crowds...
And I know it's subjective BUT....

Its hard to explain that yeah Van Halen and Def Leppard brought out huge numbers of the opposite sex
but alot of underground shows did not.

And we DID notice.

I can name with certainty which bands (then) brought in a LOT of females and believe me most gigs brought
a limited amount due to fights, tuneless thrash, ect ect...

Social Distortion (1982-87) was easily 60/40 ladies to gents...everytime..
7 Seconds (1981-90?...)..the girls I knew had the TV eye for em...TRUE!
TSOL (1980-87) even part of the Joe era....

Rules of attraction as all the bands above have purdy boys in them?
Did the combo of hooks and looks act like a gateway for some people?
Is there an equivalent set of bands today or has the internet and "higher" principals
eliminated this?

Your thoughts? :ugeek:

I think there's something to this. It's well known that Generation X brought in a lot of women to gigs because of Billy Idol's looks, same for The Clash because of Paul Simonon and later on our own mommagriz has said that 7 Seconds' cover of '99 Red Balloons" was her gateway into punk and hardcore. And TSOL definitely brought in women, too. I hadn't heard that about Social D, but I'm not surprised.

It should be noted, though, that there are plenty of women who love noisy/aggressive/relatively hook-free/weird stuff, too, though. My wife is among them.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:55 pm

Don't you find the sub-text that women are only attracted to rock music for shallow reasons a tad unsettling?
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Welly wrote:Don't you find the sub-text that women are only attracted to rock music for shallow reasons a tad unsettling?

Is this directed at me or the original poster?
JGJR

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:Don't you find the sub-text that women are only attracted to rock music for shallow reasons a tad unsettling?

Is this directed at me or the original poster?

No not you, or anyone in particular, numb nuts.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:04 pm

Welly wrote:numb nuts.

Get me Frank Rizzo. I don't need to talk to you, jerky.
JGJR

Return to daghouse