U2 - Songs of Innocence

Re: U2 - Songs of Innocence

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:54 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Bono has never been a lyrical genius, it's just one more thing for people to complain about. Bono mixed too high? He's the singer. This isn't My Bloody Valentine. Edge too low? I have no problem hearing him loud and clear.

It's not just The Edge who is mixed too low. The entire band is barely there. It feels like a Bono solo album. And he used to come up with great riffs (there is that word again), cool sound, etc. but now it feels like aural wallpaper.

You got a bum copy, somehow. I hear the whole band and Bono doesn't sound any louder than any other singer. When I say "I don't hear it", I literally mean that is not what I'm hearing. This is one of the riffiest batch of songs I've heard from Teh Edge. I feel like they accidentally slipped you a copy of ATYCLB and you just didn't notice.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:55 pm

I think there's some awesome guitar work on this one, actually.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:58 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Bono has never been a lyrical genius, it's just one more thing for people to complain about. Bono mixed too high? He's the singer. This isn't My Bloody Valentine. Edge too low? I have no problem hearing him loud and clear.

It's not just The Edge who is mixed too low. The entire band is barely there. It feels like a Bono solo album. And he used to come up with great riffs (there is that word again), cool sound, etc. but now it feels like aural wallpaper.

You got a bum copy, somehow. I hear the whole band and Bono doesn't sound any louder than any other singer. When I say "I don't hear it", I literally mean that is not what I'm hearing. This is one of the riffiest batch of songs I've heard from Teh Edge. I feel like they accidentally slipped you a copy of ATYCLB and you just didn't notice.

I listened to it in the car yesterday and it's whatever version they plopped on my iPhone, so yeah not the most hi-def way to do things. I'd be curious to hear it on headphones and/or to compare it to the physical release (yes I am enough of a dork to do A/B comparisons, but I like to limit to albums I actually like), but I feel like given the way it was released, it's probably mixed to sound best for iPhones, iPods, etc.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:00 pm

Well, I'm definitely listening on headphones. Maybe that's the difference. I listen to 99% of my music on headphones these days.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:02 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I listened to it in the car yesterday and it's whatever version they plopped on my iPhone, so yeah not the most hi-def way to do things. I'd be curious to hear it on headphones and/or to compare it to the physical release (yes I am enough of a dork to do A/B comparisons, but I like to limit to albums I actually like), but I feel like given the way it was released, it's probably mixed to sound best for iPhones, iPods, etc.

It is indeed "Mastered for iTunes" according to the iTunes store. But I think if you listen to it on a good pair of headphones you may change your tune. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. And you know me, I'm not trying to stir shit, and I've done it before myself but like...we saw Those Darlins in 2012 and you and I both agreed they sucked and after giving them more time they became one of your more enjoyed bands. I guess what I'm saying is, if you liked older U2 maybe give this another shake or so before writing it off.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:05 pm

You 3 have fun discussing ideal listening conditions for the new U2 record. Might I suggest on the opposite side of a concrete wall 6 feet thick?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:07 pm

scannest wrote:You 3 have fun discussing ideal listening conditions for the new U2 record. Might I suggest on the opposite side of a concrete wall 6 feet thick?

That space is reserved for Foo Fighters and Ryan Adams records.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Hey, lest we forget - gotta give them credit for writing the ultimate party anthem for soccer moms enjoying a "girls out night" at the local Applebees the 3rd Friday of every month

scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Shit, that's almost like listening to a Tom Petty record.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:15 pm

scannest wrote:You 3 have fun discussing ideal listening conditions for the new U2 record. Might I suggest on the opposite side of a concrete wall 6 feet thick?

Or you could just not click on the thread that has a topic of a band you don't like? I dunno, I do that all the time.

insert Kermit The Frog drinking iced tea meme here.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 pm

gregpolard wrote:Or you could just not click on the thread that has a topic of a band you don't like? I dunno, I do that all the time.

You guys realize you kinda are the board at the moment, right?
And that's bullshit. This is a public messageboard, not your Facebook page. I am comfortable being a dick here when the mood strikes.

And hey, at least he has a sense of humor...

scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:25 pm

scannest wrote:And that's bullshit. This is a public messageboard, not your Facebook page. I am comfortable being a dick here when the mood strikes.

Says the guy who wanted to chase me out of the Ryan Adams thread.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:36 pm

version sound wrote:Says the guy who wanted to chase me out of the Ryan Adams thread.

That's not true. The tone of my initial response was way too harsh so I yanked it, but I'll die defending your right to comment on music you know nothing about. I mean, that's what this day is all about, right?
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:39 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Or you could just not click on the thread that has a topic of a band you don't like? I dunno, I do that all the time.

And that's bullshit. This is a public messageboard, not your Facebook page. I am comfortable being a dick here when the mood strikes.

Whatever that video is won't load while I'm at work...but FWIW I have a very good sense of humor. I get ragged on here A LOT and take it in stride, c'mon now.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:43 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Says the guy who wanted to chase me out of the Ryan Adams thread.

That's not true. The tone of my initial response was way too harsh so I yanked it, but I'll die defending your right to comment on music you know nothing about. I mean, that's what this day is all about, right?

I know nothing about lots of music!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm just waiting for the day I post something and scannest agrees with me and says something nice. Then I'll change my signature. :lol:
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:49 pm

gregpolard wrote:I'm just waiting for the day I post something and scannest agrees with me and says something nice. Then I'll change my signature. :lol:

YOINK!
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:50 pm

haha. Actually, I don't even know if that would make me change signatures because I love mine so much. That made me laugh a lot when it was originally posted.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:57 pm

scannest wrote:I mean, that's what this day is all about, right?

I really hope you're joking here. I really dislike all of the "Patriot Day" stuff that seems to be centered around today. It is nothing to celebrate (to say the least).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:59 pm

gregpolard wrote:haha. Actually, I don't even know if that would make me change signatures because I love mine so much. That made me laugh a lot when it was originally posted.

That signature alone (along with lots of other stuff like your response "I know nothing about lots of music") proves that you do indeed have a finely attuned sense of humor.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Wow, I totally forgot. Not a lot of 9/11 hype this year.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:24 pm

JGJR wrote:I really hope you're joking here.

There's really only one appropriate answer to your question and it is this:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: , etc.
scannest

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:35 pm

version sound wrote:Wow, I totally forgot.

YOU SAID YOU'D NEVER FORGET!
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:50 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:Wow, I totally forgot.

YOU SAID YOU'D NEVER FORGET!

What were we talking about?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:52 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I really hope you're joking here.

There's really only one appropriate answer to your question and it is this:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: , etc.

Whatever. I'll be in the Dominican Republic if you need me. I don't have time for this stuff.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:55 pm

P.S. You're on drugs re: that new s/t Ryan Adams album. I'm on my 2nd listen now and really feeling it a lot. I thought it would be the exact kind of "heartland rock" type record that would appeal to your sensibilities, but it may be too AAA for you. Anyway, if it came out in the early to mid '80s it would sell millions ala Tom Petty, Springsteen, etc.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:55 pm

gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:38 pm

gregpolard wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/u2-songs-of-innocence-20140911

I would expect nothing less from Rolling Stone, the same publication that once gave Mick Jagger's Goddess in the Doorway 5 stars.
They certainly know the side on which their bread is buttered.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:48 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/u2-songs-of-innocence-20140911

I would expect nothing less from Rolling Stone, the same publication that once gave Mick Jagger's Goddess in the Doorway 5 stars.
They certainly know the side on which their bread is buttered.

They give any U2 or Bruce Springsteen album 5 stars. I wasn't posting the review as like a "gotcha" or anything, just thought it was relevant to share.
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:01 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Whatever that video is won't load while I'm at work...but FWIW I have a very good sense of humor. I get ragged on here A LOT and take it in stride, c'mon now.

you make it so easy though, greg.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:10 am

I give it 3 stars and 7.6 Pitchfork points.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:19 am

how the fuck do you download this album?
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:21 am

WrEtcH wrote:how the fuck do you download this album?

It should be under "purchased music" in your iTunes.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:52 am

I took the bait and listened to it during my morning commute. It is very much the soulless, written, arranged and produced by-committee piece of product that I suspected it would be. Outside of Bono's voice I'd be hard pressed to say whether any other humans were involved. The lyrics are just vague enough to pass for profound if you don't listen too closely. It sounds labored over, engineered to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Just take a look at the individual song credits if you have any doubt - it reads like a Fortune 500 prospectus. It is a state of the art commercial rock record that has nothing at all to do with the type of records I enjoy.

(I apologize in advance if you wind up reading this again on my FB page.)
scannest

Postby Welly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:59 am

scannest wrote:I took the bait and listened to it during my morning commute.

That's 45 minutes you'll never get back.

Solid review.
Welly

Postby scannest » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:06 am

Welly wrote:That's 45 minutes you'll never get back.

Eh, it's not like I could make the bus (or subway) go any faster.
scannest

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 am

I listened to Songs of Innocence only twice so far, and I really like what I hear.

I got lost after Unforgettable Fire, but this new one is really sounding good as a whole.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:12 am

scannest wrote:The lyrics are just vague enough to pass for profound if you don't listen too closely.

The lyrics are actually all about very specific experiences they had when they were young, hence Songs of Innocence. They may not be poetry, exactly, but they all have specific contexts that make them interesting, to me at least.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/u2-songs-of-innocence-surprise-album-guide-20140909
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:16 am

It's a U2 record. People who like U2 will probably like it. People who don't, won't. It's not rocket science.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:21 am

VS, listening to that podcast with Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman talking about the album. Pretty good stuff.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:24 am

gregpolard wrote:VS, listening to that podcast with Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman talking about the album. Pretty good stuff.

That episode is shockingly on-topic. There are episodes during which they barely mention U2. It's great. That podcast really baffled and enraged a lot of U2 fans who stumbled onto it thinking it was a serious U2 podcast. I mean, it's serious in the sense that those guys are genuinely fans, but they feel no obligation to treat the band with the least bit of reverence.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:34 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:VS, listening to that podcast with Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman talking about the album. Pretty good stuff.

That episode is shockingly on-topic. There are episodes during which they barely mention U2. It's great. That podcast really baffled and enraged a lot of U2 fans who stumbled onto it thinking it was a serious U2 podcast. I mean, it's serious in the sense that those guys are genuinely fans, but they feel no obligation to treat the band with the least bit of reverence.

I'm definitely curious to listen to other episodes. I like what they said about the lyrics, too.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:39 am

Here's what our ol' buddies at Pitchfork think:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/198 ... innocence/
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:59 am

gregpolard wrote:Here's what our ol' buddies at Pitchfork think:

Surprise, surprise, surprise.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:07 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Here's what our ol' buddies at Pitchfork think:

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

If we change the name on the front to Kanye West, they'll give it a 10.0
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:10 pm

version sound wrote:

it isn't there. all I see is 3 episodes of Metal Evolution and 2 R&B songs. :(
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:14 pm

WrEtcH wrote:
version sound wrote:

it isn't there. all I see is 3 episodes of Metal Evolution and 2 R&B songs. :(

Huh. Search for it in iTunes and see if it's there as a free download. I think it might have been a "limited-time-only" deal, though.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:17 pm

I think if you go to the itunes store and search U2 and go to the album, it will show as "purchased" and then direct you how to get it.
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:20 pm

it's supposed to be available til October 13. I know I can stream it easy, but I'd like to download this (if possible) if they frustrate me more, I'm gonna have to go to other means (torrents. :lol:)
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:30 pm

Well, you can't steal something that's being given away for free, can you? So if it gets too frustrating, I say torrent away.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse