U2 - Songs of Innocence

Re: U2 - Songs of Innocence

Postby Ed Roach » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:44 am

I really like the new album (hooked after the 3rd listen) seems a bit of a departure from the big riffs....more of a 'pop' feel.
I'm one of those who loved the 90s U2, the whole experimentation, etc.
Ed Roach

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:08 am

Ed Roach wrote:I really like the new album (hooked after the 3rd listen) seems a bit of a departure from the big riffs....more of a 'pop' feel.

I’ve been revisiting the catalog a lot lately, and plan on hitting some of those 90’s albums soon.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:18 am

gregpolard wrote:
Ed Roach wrote:I really like the new album (hooked after the 3rd listen) seems a bit of a departure from the big riffs....more of a 'pop' feel.

I’ve been revisiting the catalog a lot lately, and plan on hitting some of those 90’s albums soon.

I'm listening to Boy right now. Great effin' record. If The Edge stole Keith Levene's style (as he claims), he certainly did more with it than Levene ever did. I also uploaded ATYCLB and I'm going to give it another shot. Anyone who doubts that the way they released the new record was pure genius should look at the iTune charts. There are U2 records all over the top 100. Plus, they got more from Apple than they ever would have actually selling the thing to the public. The lads from Liverpool are no dummies.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:24 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

I'm listening to Boy right now. Great effin' record. If The Edge stole Keith Levene's style (as he claims), he certainly did more with it than Levene ever did. I also uploaded ATYCLB and I'm going to give it another shot. Anyone who doubts that the way they released the new record was pure genius should look at the iTune charts. There are U2 records all over the top 100. Plus, they got more from Apple than they ever would have actually selling the thing to the public. The lads from Liverpool are no dummies.

I had "BOY" on yesterday and I agree. I was listening and texted a friend of mine who's favorite band of all time is U2 and has been for over 25 years (we met through the HC scene) and said, which I'll reiterate here: "Anyone who likes post-punk type stuff and doesnt' at least like those first couple U2 records is a liar". I honestly think their popularity/Bono/etc. is a lot of the reason why people slag on them, and not because of the music at all.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 am

gregpolard wrote:I honestly think their popularity/Bono/etc. is a lot of the reason why people slag on them, and not because of the music at all.

Absolutely. It hasn't been cool to like U2 since at least the '80s. Hiptards who worship Radiohead and slag U2, in particular, need to step off. Radiohead learned everything there is to know about being avant garde in the mainstream from U2. Thom is also at least as much of a pretentious prick as Bono is.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I honestly think their popularity/Bono/etc. is a lot of the reason why people slag on them, and not because of the music at all.

Absolutely. It hasn't been cool to like U2 since at least the '80s. Hiptards who worship Radiohead and slag U2, in particular, need to step off. Radiohead learned everything there is to know about being avant garde in the mainstream from U2. Thom is also at least as much of a pretentious prick as Bono is.

100% accurate. And I like Radiohead, but truth be told, I much prefer U2.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Uh, they're from Dublin, which is in another country. :roll:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 am

version sound wrote:

No and no, though you're half-right on the first one. They learned a shit ton from R.E.M. about that very thing, too, especially having toured with them in 1995.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 am

WrEtcH wrote:it's supposed to be available til October 13. I know I can stream it easy, but I'd like to download this (if possible) if they frustrate me more, I'm gonna have to go to other means (torrents. :lol:)

Send me a PM if you still need this.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 am

Listening to the album again now. I love the California song.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:12 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

No and no, though you're half-right on the first one. They learned a shit ton from R.E.M. about that very thing, too, especially having toured with them in 1995.

R.E.M. has never been avant garde in the least bit. If you're arguing that it's cool to like U2, you may live in a parallel universe that somehow has access to our internet, because you sure as hell don't inhabit the same universe that the rest of us do.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:13 am

Yep. Not that it's THAT cool to like R.E.M. either but it's definitely cooler than it is to like U2. My aforementioned friend posted a pic on instagram the other day when he was visiting California of the Joshua Tree and mentioned how it is his favorite album by his favorite band and people flipped.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:18 am

That's not a comment on R.E.M.'s musical merit, but they've always been closer to an "alternative" Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers than anything else. Pure Americana. U2, on the other hand, were a post-punk band heavily influenced by Joy Division and the like who were produced by Eno on several occasions. Has Eno ever produced anything else that hit the American top 10? Talking Heads, maybe?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:34 am

Check you guys out arguing about varying tints of shite. :lol:
Welly

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 am

Welly wrote:Check you guys out arguing about varying tints of shite. :lol:

We could be talking about Oi!
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:40 am

version sound wrote:

...or punk after 1985.
Welly

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:45 am

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:

...or punk after 1985.

TRUTH! Actually, it was only Youth Brigade who I didn't give a shit about after 1985 (if that late. What year did "What Price Happiness?" come out?). I don't see much difference between talking about U2 and talking about new records by a ton of bands you people like who haven't been interesting since 1982.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 am

version sound wrote:
Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:

...or punk after 1985.

TRUTH! Actually, it was only Youth Brigade who I didn't give a shit about after 1985 (if that late. What year did "What Price Happiness?" come out?). I don't see much difference between talking about U2 and talking about new records by a ton of bands you people like who haven't been interesting since 1982.

Or new records by new bands.

Fuck, now there's a thought.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 am

IT'S ALL SHITE!
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am

Welly wrote:Or new records by new bands.

I try, but generally speaking, youse guys' taste is shit.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:13 am

version sound wrote:
Welly wrote:Or new records by new bands.

I try, but generally speaking, youse guys' taste is shit.

Nah. Some people try, and they're roundly ignored.

Problem 'round these 'ere parts seems to be if it ain't got the official approval of some form of music press then it's phasers set to ignore. :lol:
Welly

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:17 am

I definitely try, but the response is either nothing or overwhelming negativity. That goes for punk and indie rock stuff alike.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 am

version sound wrote:I definitely try, but the response is either nothing or overwhelming negativity. That goes for punk and indie rock stuff alike.

Hello there, welcome to the internet.

Plus, overwhelming negativity is pretty much my default setting.

For everything.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 am

I only listen to the music Apple forceably places into my iTunes.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:29 am

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:I definitely try, but the response is either nothing or overwhelming negativity. That goes for punk and indie rock stuff alike.

For everything.

I don't want to ruin your rep, but you are actually one of the few people who has responded positively to posts about punk/hardcore bands formed after 1995.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 am

version sound wrote:
Welly wrote:

For everything.

I don't want to ruin your rep, but you are actually one of the few people who has responded positively to posts about punk/hardcore bands formed after 1995.

Don't fuck with my image, man.

I'm sure there's gotta be a reason I still put out a fucking fanzine after nearly 29 (jeezus!) years.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:35 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

R.E.M. has never been avant garde in the least bit. If you're arguing that it's cool to like U2, you may live in a parallel universe that somehow has access to our internet, because you sure as hell don't inhabit the same universe that the rest of us do.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The first "no" was in reference to your statement about Radiohead learning everything there is to know about being avant garde in the mainstream from U2. I said "no" because they learned a lot from R.E.M. Maybe not avant-garde, but a band that started as a (let's face it) kind of weird post-punk band that mixed that stuff with '60s British Invasion sounds and a singer who mumbled unintelligble lyrics who then morphed into a wildly popular arena rock band, but gradually and organically. Radiohead has had a totally different (and far less predictable) career trajectory than either U2 or R.E.M., FWIW, more similar to Beastie Boys or even a band like Spoon.

The second "no" was in reference to Thom Yorke, who while insufferable at times for sure, doesn't near approach the insufferability of someone like Bono, at least IMO.

And of course you're right re: it not being cool to like U2 in many years.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:39 am

version sound wrote:That's not a comment on R.E.M.'s musical merit, but they've always been closer to an "alternative" Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers than anything else. Pure Americana. U2, on the other hand, were a post-punk band heavily influenced by Joy Division and the like who were produced by Eno on several occasions. Has Eno ever produced anything else that hit the American top 10? Talking Heads, maybe?

Devo, though they did it several albums after the album Eno produced for them. Tom Petty comparison is ridiculous, BTW, though there is that folk-pop/Southern element for sure. R.E.M. early on were heavily influenced by similar bands from Athens like Pylon who took so much from Gang of Four (and Stipe has admitted that they did the same; it's obvious if you listen) and they covered Wire's "Strange" on Document.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:43 am

Remind me why Bono is so insufferable. Becuase he's a multi-millionaire who still speaks his mind on political issues? That's the reason most people don't like him. Rich or poor, anyone who insists on making people hear things they don't want to is treated like a huge asshole. It strikes me as very similar to the people who don't want to hear about the realities of meat production/consumption because then they might have to give a shit, or at least think about the fact that they are eating murder and torture on a plate. But it tastes soooooo good...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:46 am

version sound wrote:Remind me why Bono is so insufferable. Becuase he's a multi-millionaire who still speaks his mind on political issues? That's the reason most people don't like him. Rich or poor, anyone who insists on making people hear things they don't want to is treated like a huge asshole. It strikes me as very similar to the people who don't want to hear about the realities of meat production/consumption because then they might have to give a shit, or at least think about the fact that they are eating murder and torture on a plate. But it tastes soooooo good...

Nope. I am OK with all of that (from famous or not famous folks alike; that's just called speaking your mind). This article pretty much illustrates it perfectly.

http://thequietus.com/articles/16217-bo ... experience
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:54 am

Most of the same arguments could be/were leveled against The Clash. You seem to be fine with them. That article is the perfect example of people looking for a reason to hate U2. It basically argues that if Bono and Co. don't live up to their standards for ethical living, then they should just shut up. The same argument is used against anyone on the Left who dares not to give all their money to charity.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am

Also, how many of you who want to find a reason to condemn U2 on moral/ethical grounds own iPhones and MacBooks? People who live in glass houses...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:01 pm

version sound wrote:Most of the same arguments could be/were leveled against The Clash. You seem to be fine with them. That article is the perfect example of people looking for a reason to hate U2. It basically argues that if Bono and Co. don't live up to their standards for ethical living, then they should just shut up. The same argument is used against anyone on the Left who dares not to give all their money to charity.

Couldn't agree more, yet again. You and I are in sync on this thread.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 pm

version sound wrote:Also, how many of you who want to find a reason to condemn U2 on moral/ethical grounds own iPhones and MacBooks? People who live in glass houses...

1) The article didn't mention ANYTHING (or very little) about the music, which I judge on its own merits (or lack thereof).
2) The author in question admitted he owns an iPhone, something which you clearly seem to be overlooking. I think you're just going by their association with Apple. Did you read the rest of the article?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:04 pm

version sound wrote:Most of the same arguments could be/were leveled against The Clash. You seem to be fine with them. That article is the perfect example of people looking for a reason to hate U2. It basically argues that if Bono and Co. don't live up to their standards for ethical living, then they should just shut up. The same argument is used against anyone on the Left who dares not to give all their money to charity.

I think this is ridiculous. No one expects them to do that, but I really do believe they (or more accurately, Bono) care more about making money and celebrity than they do about the causes in question.

And why are you throwing The Clash into this?
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:08 pm

version sound wrote:The same argument is used against anyone on the Left who dares not to give all their money to charity.

There is a huge MATERIAL difference between giving "all" your money to charity and taking advantage of highly complex tax laws and regulations for the sole purpose of avoiding paying tax on hundreds of millions of dollars of income. Taxes that would be used (at least in part) to support the welfare of everyone in Ireland, especially the poor.
I mean, you do live in the material world - right, Madonna?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:11 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:The same argument is used against anyone on the Left who dares not to give all their money to charity.

There is a huge MATERIAL difference between giving "all" your money to charity and taking advantage of highly complex tax laws and regulations for the sole purpose of avoiding paying tax on hundreds of millions of dollars of income. Taxes that would be used (at least in part) to support the welfare of everyone in Ireland, especially the poor.

This. Thank you.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:12 pm

yuo a bunch of libral wack jobz???????????
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:14 pm

JGJR wrote:And why are you throwing The Clash into this?

Revolutionaries on a major label? They were accused of being hypocrites and sell-outs from day one. Somehow, now that Joe has been cannonized in retrospect, a lot of people forget about that. The same people who condemn Bono revere Joe as a Saint. Both of those guys are/were human beings. People are fucking gleeful about finding anything to justify their hatred for Bono.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:14 pm

scannest wrote:

You must hate the Stones. Especially Exile era.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:20 pm

version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:

You must hate the Stones. Especially Exile era.

I have really mixed feelings about The Stones. I love their music (*well up to Exile and some stuff after that, but limited), but yeah they are about 10x worse than U2 on all of that stuff. The only difference is that they don't pretend to be anything otherwise.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:21 pm

version sound wrote:You must hate the Stones. Especially Exile era.

You couldn't pick a less pious band than the Stones. Meanwhile, Bono has been running for sainthood for, what seems like, EVAH.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:22 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:And why are you throwing The Clash into this?

Revolutionaries on a major label? They were accused of being hypocrites and sell-outs from day one. Somehow, now that Joe has been cannonized in retrospect, a lot of people forget about that. The same people who condemn Bono revere Joe as a Saint. Both of those guys are/were human beings. People are fucking gleeful about finding anything to justify their hatred for Bono.

Sorry, but a guy who says something like "we reapplied for the job of the world's greatest rock band" when ATYCLB came out is just insufferable IMO. I don't have this same issue with '80s Bono, mind you. It was really at that point that he started annoying me. And again, nothing to do with the music. "Beautiful Day" is a great song no matter what.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:23 pm

version sound wrote:

I love Radiohead & I totally dislike U2. The reason is that U2 have sucked for the last 20+ years & Radiohead still make engaging music that is pretty challenging for a mainstream band.
I tried to never hear any of the new U2 shit but their Apple commercial was playing constantly during Football games yesterday & I think that song sucks just like everything else they have done in the last 20+ years. U2 were great for their first four albums. Then it became commercial crap. It seems like everything they do is completely planned and measured. That's why I don't like Saint Bono. Even The Edge smashing his gtr. in the video just screams of bullshit. It all seems fake in the same way mainstream pop music seems fake. Guess I'm a hiptard.
drew

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:24 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:You must hate the Stones. Especially Exile era.

You couldn't pick a less pious band than the Stones. Meanwhile, Bono has been running for sainthood for, what seems like, EVAH.

Yep.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:24 pm

drew wrote:
version sound wrote:

I love Radiohead & I totally dislike U2. The reason is that U2 have sucked for the last 20+ years & Radiohead still make engaging music that is pretty challenging for a mainstream band.
I tried to never hear any of the new U2 shit but their Apple commercial was playing constantly during Football games yesterday & I think that song sucks just like everything else they have done in the last 20+ years. U2 were great for their first four albums. Then it became commercial crap. It seems like everything they do is completely planned and measured. That's why I don't like Saint Bono. Even The Edge smashing his gtr. in the video just screams of bullshit. It all seems fake in the same way mainstream pop music seems fake. Guess I'm a hiptard.

Pretty much this, but I'd extend the period they were good to '91.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:30 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:
version sound wrote:

Pretty much this, but I'd extend the period they were good to '91.

Once I heard "One" & Mysterious Ways" I knew they were done. I kinda hated "Rattle & Hum" for it's overblown excess but gave them a shot with Actung Baby but they never recovered.
drew

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:31 pm

U2 is a fucking corporation. I'm sure those dudes approved all that shit on a certain level, but I doubt they were the masterminds behind the whole thing. Rich people have business managers who set this shit up. All of them. But people looooove to use it against people who have the gall to be openly political bcause it gives them a really satisfying jolt of self righteousness. I'm better than that guy! Hey, did you guys know that shitheel MLK Jr. cheated on his wife? What the fuck business did he have trying to say that institutional racism was wrong? Blah, blah, blah. Dig deep enough and you'll find a reason to condemn Mother Teresa.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:36 pm

I think "One" is a great song.
gregpolard

Postby drew » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:39 pm

version sound wrote:U2 is a fucking corporation. I'm sure those dudes approved all that shit on a certain level, but I doubt they were the masterminds behind the whole thing. Rich people have business managers who set this shit up. All of them. But people looooove to use it against people who have the gall to be openly political bcause it gives them a really satisfying jolt of self righteousness. I'm better than that guy! Hey, did you guys know that shitheel MLK Jr. cheated on his wife? What the fuck business did he have trying to say that institutional racism was wrong? Blah, blah, blah. Dig deep enough and you'll find a reason to condemn Mother Teresa.

I think you are the one having a "moral dilemma" here, VS. I don't think I'm better than Saint Bono and unless someone comes out as a racist or wifebeater or whatever I don't care what they do in their private life. It seems like you are the one desperately trying to find reason to justify liking the new U2 album. You are insulting everyone who doesn't like it. Why? cause you feel gulity for digging it? It's cool with me if you like the record. Greg doesn't care what we think, you shouldn't either.
drew

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse