U2 - Songs of Innocence

Re: U2 - Songs of Innocence

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Alright, VS - your MLK analogy is so fucking off base that I have officially given up on debating this issue. I'm too exhausted to expend the energy explaining how wrong-headed you are.
So, I guess...you win? Congrats.

EDIT - damn, I can't believe I caused this thread to go to 4 pages.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:41 pm

gregpolard wrote:I think "One" is a great song.

It's way overrated in their canon IMO and frequently misinterpreted (not their fault). I like most of the non-singles on AB way more than its singles/hits.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:49 pm

scannest wrote:Alright, VS - your MLK analogy is so fucking off base that I have officially given up on debating this issue. I'm too exhausted to expend the energy explaining how wrong-headed you are.
So, I guess...you win? Congrats.

EDIT - damn, I can't believe I caused this thread to go to 4 pages.

Whatever, it's broad, but it's exactly the same thing. You want to condemn Bono because you don't like him. Is it okay to have tax shelters if you aren't percieved as a liberal crusader of some sort? I'm sure plenty of your rock and roll heroes have done exactly the same thing. It's okay for them though, because they aren't being hypocrites, which is the real crime. Right? Go ahead, tell me how wrong I am. I mean, your position on the issue couldn't possibly also be hypocritical. No way in hell.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:50 pm

version sound wrote:Is it okay to have tax shelters if you aren't percieved as a liberal crusader of some sort?

False equivalence; no one has said that.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:57 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Is it okay to have tax shelters if you aren't percieved as a liberal crusader of some sort?

Nothing false about it. You are justifying your opinion of Bono based on this very fact. You yourself basically said "this article says it all". So, do you dislike other rock stars with personal faults, or do you bend over backwards to justify why they don't bother you because you don't want to dislike them?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:00 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Nothing false about it. You are justifying your opinion of Bono based on this very fact. You yourself basically said "this article says it all". So, do you dislike other rock stars with personal faults, or do you bend over backwards to justify why they don't bother you because you don't want to dislike them?

This isn't about Bono. What I meant is that when those who are say, CEOS of multinationals, do this, I don't look upon it more favorably. At all.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:22 pm

If you would like U2’s Songs of Innocence removed from your iTunes music library and iTunes purchases, you can choose to have it removed. Once the album has been removed from your account, it will no longer be available for you to redownload as a previous purchase. If you later decide you want the album, you will need to get it again. The album is free to everyone until October 13, 2014 and will be available for purchase after that date.
Do you want to remove Songs of Innocence from your account?

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects ... fferOptOut
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:24 pm

Go for it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:30 pm

scannest wrote:If you would like U2’s Songs of Innocence removed from your iTunes music library and iTunes purchases, you can choose to have it removed. Once the album has been removed from your account, it will no longer be available for you to redownload as a previous purchase. If you later decide you want the album, you will need to get it again. The album is free to everyone until October 13, 2014 and will be available for purchase after that date.
Do you want to remove Songs of Innocence from your account?

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects ... fferOptOut

Thank you, actually. I've had some people asking how to get it completely removed.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:34 pm

how did this get to page 4?
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:43 pm

yourenotevil wrote:how did this get to page 4?

Mainly with people bitching and complaining about Bono and U2. Four page threads are otherwise limited to new and relevant bands, like Bad Religion.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:54 pm

version sound wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:how did this get to page 4?

Mainly with people bitching and complaining about Bono and U2. Four page threads are otherwise limited to new and relevant bands, like Bad Religion.

well, at least people have a unifying sense of what they hate.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:04 pm

yourenotevil wrote:well, at least three people have a unifying sense of what they hate.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby crus » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:24 pm

I liked Achtung Baby but the Fly is a horrible song that should have been stuck on a B-side or better yet left in the studio. Acrobat was the best song on that album.
crus

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:14 am

Here's my final thought, Jerry Springer style: this record is as much a mirror as it is a canvas. Cynical record reviewer types and people who revel in hating U2 will find plenty to hate, because this is very much a U2 record, maybe the U2iest record in decades. The reviewer for Drowned in Sound tipped his hand by writing "The singles off All That You Can’t Leave Behind are dreadful...". Really? I find it hard to believe that anyone could honestly think "Beautiful Day" is dreadful. I'm not a huge fan of that record, but that song is objectively great. So, this is a guy who is clearly not a fan. On the flipside, there are a LOT of people who liked U2 at some point in their lives who are enjoying a U2 record for the first time in years, if not decades. I don't think that experience should be easily dismissed. We are not talking about diehard fans who will find something to love in every U2 record. I personally more or less gave up on them over 20 years ago. I didn't even know their last record existed until they talked about it on You Talkin' U2 To Me?. To claim that I am somehow biased towards the band in 2014 is an unbelievable stretch. I'm hearing everything the critics are hearing and it's all very U2, but not the U2 who started believing their own hype decades ago. I'm hearing the U2 of the early days who are writing songs about thier own lives rather than trying to make universal statements. I hear a band that is actually feeling what they are playing for the first time in a long time. I think that Man would have been a more descriptive (though ridiculous and too on the nose)title for this record, because what I'm hearing is the band who recorded Boy all grown up, but realizing that they really haven't changed much. All the things that were important then are still the things that define them as human beings today, notwithstanding the 30 odd years that have passed in between. If you don't have a more than casual connection with U2, you probably won't notice or won't care, but I do, and I did.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:17 am

version sound wrote:Here's my final thought, Jerry Springer style: this record is as much a mirror as it is a canvas. Cynical record reviewer types and people who revel in hating U2 will find plenty to hate, because this is very much a U2 record, maybe the U2iest record in decades. The reviewer for Drowned in Sound tipped his hand by writing "The singles off All That You Can’t Leave Behind are dreadful...". Really? I find it hard to believe that anyone could honestly think "Beautiful Day" is dreadful. I'm not a huge fan of that record, but that song is objectively great. So, this is a guy who is clearly not a fan. On the flipside, there are a LOT of people who liked U2 at some point in their lives who are enjoying a U2 record for the first time in years, if not decades. I don't think that experience should be easily dismissed. We are not talking about diehard fans who will find something to love in every U2 record. I personally more or less gave up on them over 20 years ago. I didn't even know their last record existed until they talked about it on You Talkin' U2 To Me?. To claim that I am somehow biased towards the band in 2014 is an unbelievable stretch. I'm hearing everything the critics are hearing and it's all very U2, but not the U2 who started believing their own hype decades ago. I'm hearing the U2 of the early days who are writing songs about thier own lives rather than trying to make universal statements. I hear a band that is actually feeling what they are playing for the first time in a long time. I think that Man would have been a more descriptive (though ridiculous and too on the nose)title for this record, because what I'm hearing is the band who recorded Boy all grown up, but realizing that they really haven't changed much. All the things that were important then are still the things that define them as human beings today, notwithstanding the 30 odd years that have passed in between. If you don't have a more than casual connection with U2, you probably won't notice or won't care, but I do, and I did.

Well said.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:44 am

version sound wrote: If you don't have a more than casual connection with U2, you probably won't notice or won't care, but I do, and I did.

I think that's my main problem re: appreciating this record, honestly. I'm just not that big of a fan (a casual one at best). I love their '80s singles (well most of them; I only like "All I Want is You" from R&H but that is one of their best songs). They were never an album type band for me (with a notable exception or two), but instead like INXS a great singles/occasional deep cut band that I could have one CD of be done with for the most part. Yet they're considered one of the most important bands of the last 35 years. And yes, I've tried their '80s Lps, but not anytime recently. I think War would be the exception. I like that one all the way through. But even then, I'd much rather listen to contemporaries of theirs in the '80s like The Chameleons, 1st 3 Comsat Angels albums, 1st 2 Sound Lps or their influences Magazine and PiL's 1st few albums.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:56 am

I don't think U2 is winning any new fans with this record, but I think that it's renewing the interest of a lot of lapsed fans. Take a look at the iTunes charts and you can see a lot of people buying older U2 records since the new one came out. Maybe those people hadn't heard them before, but my guess is that most of them have heard them and are revisiting them, maybe for the firs time in years. I've loved U2 since "Gloria", even though I stopped actively following them after Achtung Baby.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 am

I'm honestly amazed that you (JGJR) aren't in love with at least the first 5 LPs.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 am

Also, this album absolutely did that VS. It reminded me of why I once loved them so much. I had always been into their singles and then around senior year of h.s. I bought "Joshua Tree" and "Unforgettable Fire" (no coincidence that they became my favorite albums of theirs) and then ended up getting the whole catalog. Since 2000, I've bought every new album they've released (not that there's been that many) and this is the best of that bunch.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:05 am

gregpolard wrote:Also, this album absolutely did that VS. It reminded me of why I once loved them so much. I had always been into their singles and then around senior year of h.s. I bought "Joshua Tree" and "Unforgettable Fire" (no coincidence that they became my favorite albums of theirs) and then ended up getting the whole catalog. Since 2000, I've bought every new album they've released (not that there's been that many) and this is the best of that bunch.

I was already revisiting the back catalog when this one came out, so this was good timing for me. The fist five albums are all great. I'm surprised when anyone with an interest in post-punk/new wave/indie rock doesn't like at least the first three.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:08 am

gregpolard wrote:I'm honestly amazed that you (JGJR) aren't in love with at least the first 5 LPs.

It's just one of those things. In theory, given my tastes I SHOULD love them and maybe I should revisit them or try to get into them again, but I have a feeling that it's something you have to grow up with to really get/appreciate on that level (or maybe not).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:09 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Also, this album absolutely did that VS. It reminded me of why I once loved them so much. I had always been into their singles and then around senior year of h.s. I bought "Joshua Tree" and "Unforgettable Fire" (no coincidence that they became my favorite albums of theirs) and then ended up getting the whole catalog. Since 2000, I've bought every new album they've released (not that there's been that many) and this is the best of that bunch.

I was already revisiting the back catalog when this one came out, so this was good timing for me. The fist five albums are all great. I'm surprised when anyone with an interest in post-punk/new wave/indie rock doesn't like at least the first three.

I don't dislike them. I enjoy any of the songs from those records every time I hear them, but it's just not something I ever have the urge to put on (or if I do, it's rare).
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:13 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I'm honestly amazed that you (JGJR) aren't in love with at least the first 5 LPs.

It's just one of those things. In theory, given my tastes I SHOULD love them and maybe I should revisit them or try to get into them again, but I have a feeling that it's something you have to grow up with to really get/appreciate on that level (or maybe not).

Possibly. I would recommend that you check out Unforgettable Fire. Yes, even those of us who love this record are tired of "Pride" at this point, but the rest of the record is almost closer to shoegaze than post-punk. The atmosphere of that record is unlike anything else they (or anyone else) ever recorded.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:16 am

Speak for yourself. I never get tired of "Pride". One of my favorite songs, ever.
But yeah...the atmosphere of that record is really something. I dunno, listening to all of this stuff lately is really taking me back.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 am

gregpolard wrote:Speak for yourself. I never get tired of "Pride". One of my favorite songs, ever.

Yeah I like that one a lot, too.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:20 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Speak for yourself. I never get tired of "Pride". One of my favorite songs, ever.

It's a great song, but it's like "Purple Haze" to me at this point. I enjoy it when I hear it, but don't often seek it out because I've heard it hundreds and hundreds of times since it came out.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:22 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

It's a great song, but it's like "Purple Haze" to me at this point. I enjoy it when I hear it, but don't often seek it out because I've heard it hundreds and hundreds of times since it came out.

Fair enough. I'm playing Boy now and will report back. It occurs to me that this version of "I Will Follow" is pretty radically different from the version I remember hearing as a kid. Did they do it on Under a Blood Red Sky (haven't heard it in a long time) or was there a totally different single version? I know I can Google it, but can someone who knows more about U2 fill me in here. Either way, what a song!
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 am

"Boy" is awesome. It's crazy to me how much very early Cult (we're talking "Dreamtime" and "Death Cult" mostly) reminds me of U2.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:25 am

I'm sorta surprised at the amount of pure hatred and vitriol surrounding this new album, though. Obviously it's because it was "forced" on people....I get that. But if anything it seems like it's been an opportunity for blogs/media/whatever to write clever, snarky, hateful articles about it.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 am

A live version from Under a Blod Red Sky came out in 1983. That might be the one you remember.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:29 am

version sound wrote:A live version from Under a Blod Red Sky came out in 1983. That might be the one you remember.

It definitely sounds like it. I remember it a bit tighter and a bit more "together" than the one on Boy. Anyway, I forgot how much this sounds like the early Bunnymen (another great contemporary band of theirs). I'm really enjoying it so far.

We have this one (and most of their stuff up to Rattle and Hum) on vinyl since my wife was a huge U2 fan as a kid (she really dislikes anything after R&H, though). I can't wait to jam it to hear how it sounds and I should have done it long ago.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am

I want them on vinyl.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:40 am

gregpolard wrote:I want them on vinyl.

The OGs are easy enough to find, I'd imagine. I could be wrong, though.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:41 am

JGJR wrote:

Yep. I see them often. I'm keeping my eyes peeled.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:43 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I will check to see which ones we have tonight. I'm pretty sure we're missing one or two of the '80s ones since she made have had those on cassette or something as a kid.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:46 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I will check to see which ones we have tonight. I'm pretty sure we're missing one or two of the '80s ones since she made have had those on cassette or something as a kid.

That does me no good.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:03 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

That does me no good.

I thought you'd at least be curious. Sigh. :lol:
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:23 am

I have everything through Unforgettable Fire on vinyl. Not sure if I still have my OG Joshua Tree. I kind of want to replace them with UK or Japanese pressings.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 am

I have a UK original press of Rattle and Hum sat here from the old shop bargain bin if anyone wants it for postage.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:07 am

Welly wrote:I have a UK original press of Rattle and Hum sat here from the old shop bargain bin if anyone wants it for postage.

Hm, what would postage be?
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:15 am

PM'd.
Welly

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:39 pm

I FINALLY downloaded this album off my iTouch, but it doesn't appear on my macbook or my PC iTunes (no, I'm not an apple snob.) anyways, I like the album, BUT if yer gonna do a song tribute to Joey Ramone, why not rip off the RAMONES again like you did on "Vertigo" (which I like) instead of trying to out whine COLDPLAY?
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby Ed Roach » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:44 am

gregpolard wrote:
Ed Roach wrote:I really like the new album (hooked after the 3rd listen) seems a bit of a departure from the big riffs....more of a 'pop' feel.
I'm one of those who loved the 90s U2, the whole experimentation, etc.

I’ve been revisiting the catalog a lot lately, and plan on hitting some of those 90’s albums soon.

Achtung Baby is a GREAT album...Zooropa is very under-rated...Pop is good, but could have been finished a bit better.
Ed Roach

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:45 am

I'm going to listen to Achtung Baby today for the first time in a while, actually. My friend was telling me about how he forgot how good it really is. I'm pumped.
gregpolard

Postby Ed Roach » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:27 am

After listening to this album about a dozen times in the past week, here's my take on it, song by song...

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - makes sense they would lead off the album with this, but not the best song on the album.
Every Breaking Wave - written for No Line...but didn't make the cut. I like how it builds up a bit with a good melody.
California - a great pop song, should be a single.
Song For Someone - a nice little ditty about meeting his wife...will probably be in the live set on the next tour.
Iris (Hold Me Close) - the fifth song about his mother in the U2 catalog. As personal as they get, without being 'sappy'.
Volcano - sounds like all those 'hip' bands of the moment (read- Arcade Fire, Metric, Franz Ferdinand), another good pop song.
Raised By Wolves - has a 'modern take of the October album' feel to it, the melody here reminds me of that album.
Cedarwood Road - written about the same guy that 'Bad' was about (apparently) and the heaviest they have probably ever sounded.
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - the worst song on the album, should have been left on the cutting room floor.
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - another tribute, this time about The Clash. A little too 'poppy' to be about 'The Only Band That Matters'.
The Troubles - I like the female vocals...not a bad way to close the album.

The next album (Song Of Experience) will probably have 'Invisible' and 'Ordinary Love' on it...hopefully The Edge has some big riffs set aside for this one....
Ed Roach

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:35 am

Ed Roach wrote:After listening to this album about a dozen times in the past week, here's my take on it, song by song...

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) - makes sense they would lead off the album with this, but not the best song on the album.
Every Breaking Wave - written for No Line...but didn't make the cut. I like how it builds up a bit with a good melody.
California - a great pop song, should be a single.
Song For Someone - a nice little ditty about meeting his wife...will probably be in the live set on the next tour.
Iris (Hold Me Close) - the fifth song about his mother in the U2 catalog. As personal as they get, without being 'sappy'.
Volcano - sounds like all those 'hip' bands of the moment (read- Arcade Fire, Metric, Franz Ferdinand), another good pop song.
Raised By Wolves - has a 'modern take of the October album' feel to it, the melody here reminds me of that album.
Cedarwood Road - written about the same guy that 'Bad' was about (apparently) and the heaviest they have probably ever sounded.
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - the worst song on the album, should have been left on the cutting room floor.
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now - another tribute, this time about The Clash. A little too 'poppy' to be about 'The Only Band That Matters'.
The Troubles - I like the female vocals...not a bad way to close the album.

The next album (Song Of Experience) will probably have 'Invisible' and 'Ordinary Love' on it...hopefully The Edge has some big riffs set aside for this one....

Very nice review, Ed!

I pretty much agree to a "t" except "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight" grew on me. Has a "Lemon" vibe.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:18 am

WrEtcH wrote: BUT if yer gonna do a song tribute to Joey Ramone, why not rip off the RAMONES again like you did on "Vertigo" (which I like) instead of trying to out whine COLDPLAY?

So much this.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 am

JGJR wrote:
WrEtcH wrote: BUT if yer gonna do a song tribute to Joey Ramone, why not rip off the RAMONES again like you did on "Vertigo" (which I like) instead of trying to out whine COLDPLAY?

So much this.

Pretty sure they consciously tried to NOT make it sound like the Ramones, IMO.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:48 am

JGJR wrote:

So much this.

Why? It's a good song. Just because it's a song about The Ramones doesn't mean it needs to sound like them. What the fuck Ramones song does "Vertigo" sounds like?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse