New SHELLAC Record Out Next Week

New SHELLAC Record Out Next Week

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:54 pm

If anyone is gonna get me to lay out $27.85 for a vinyl LP, it's these mooks.

DUDE INCREDIBLE, it's called.

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: New SHELLAC Record Out Next Week

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Love the cover, never been much of an Albini fan, though.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:27 pm

You are the mook, Sal
xxxMidgexxx

Postby MXV » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:29 am

I HATED the last album, it was incredibly boring. There's no way i will take a chance on this one, especially at that price.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:04 am

i always liked the first shellac record a lot. i think it took them a long time to release another album after that, and i never bothered checking them out till a few years ago. i still think the early stuff is the best, but albini hated L.A. so i don't think they ever toured there on the first album, but that seemed like the time to check them out live. i like albini's sound, but all of his bands get old fast.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:17 am

I dig Big Black when I'm in the mood, but Shellac never quite grabbed me. When I was in college, all the local scenesters worshiped this band. I thought the first LP was pretty good, but 1000 Hurts was so overplayed by friends/roommates/coffee shop baristas at the time I could probably do without hearing it ever again.
patient_ot

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:25 am

patient_ot wrote:I dig Big Black when I'm in the mood, but Shellac never quite grabbed me. When I was in college, all the local scenesters worshiped this band. I thought the first LP was pretty good, but 1000 Hurts was so overplayed by friends/roommates/coffee shop baristas at the time I could probably do without hearing it ever again.

i thought it was cool for him to finally work with a real drummer. i like rapeman, but shellac was more creative in the bass and drum departments. big black was more like good songs and uneven records. like i said, 30 minutes of any of his bands is pretty much my limit in one sitting.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby scannest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:28 am

They are always excellent live and I have no problem spending 35 minutes perusing some new Shellac music every...what, 6 years or so?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:44 pm

scannest wrote:They are always excellent live and I have no problem spending 35 minutes perusing some new Shellac music every...what, 6 years or so?

Honestly, the music is cool, but it's the interaction between songs between band and audience that really makes them a must-see live act. The last time we saw them, they played one of the most memorable shows I've seen in recent years. It was in a bowling alley in NJ and involved an audience member's underwear (said audience member happened to be standing right next to us) eventually going in Todd Trainor's bass drum, but not in the way you'd think. That's all I'll say for now.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Gary » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:34 am

I liked all the previous records,but for some reason cannot get excited for this one. Saw them a bunch of times too and every time they were great,and then the last time they were really bad. I think it was down to jetlag though.
Gary

Return to daghouse