RIP the iPod classic

RIP the iPod classic

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:00 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/appl ... continued/

Every time Apple holds one of its keynotes, we think to ourselves, "Maybe this is the year they'll kill off the iPod classic." Finally, after a years-long stay of execution, Apple's oldest living media player is going the way of the dodo. The company just reopened its online store after announcing two new iPhones and a smartwatch, and the iPod classic is conspicuously absent from the iPod section. The remaining options include the shuffle, nano and touch at the high end, with the max amount of storage being 64GB. If you're of a certain age, then, you can get ready to tell your grandchildren about the days when people carried 160GB of music in their pocket instead of streaming it all from the cloud. Oh, and get ready to explain what a spinning hard drive is, too.
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: RIP the iPod classic

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 pm

i thought they had already done that, but it sucks. love the classic, at least my first one. the other ones i have(one was to replace it through warranty) have not been as good though.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Dan Celebrity » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Such a bummer. I have an 80GB classic, but was thinking of upgrading. I guess I'll stick with that one until it dies. Then, who knows. Silence?
Dan Celebrity

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:12 pm

I like the idea of a 160G iPod, but after having three older iPods die in quick succession a year or so ago, I have very little faith in the build quality. I don't need to lose 160G of music in one fell swoop.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:48 am

version sound wrote:I like the idea of a 160G iPod, but after having three older iPods die in quick succession a year or so ago, I have very little faith in the build quality. I don't need to lose 160G of music in one fell swoop.

I've babyed mine and it's last me a long time. I think it's been 4-5 yrs already
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:28 am

The kicker is that that Apple no longer makes a device more than 65G.
I love my 160G classic. I burn most everything at 320mbs (which I think sounds just fine) and I can just pour things on there and it never seems to fill up. I also like the idea of a device devoted just to music. Perhaps it's an age thing, but loading music on my phone still seems...weird to me.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Chris Shary » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:45 am

This makes me sad.
Chris Shary

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 am

Just as well I just recently bought a new one. Had the original smaller version of it for five years but the screen died, and it was considered 'vintage' so no repair. Tried my phone for a while but it was worse sound wise than the old iPod. Looked at the new versions, and not for me. I wanted the wheel, so opted for the 160gb and saved a wedge by buying it in CA. Hopefully I'll get five years out of this one as I doubt I'd bother with the new one. Don't need bells and whistles and more bloody internet, just music. And this one actually sounds decent.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:57 am

the later ones are def not as well made. my first one lasted a long time, maybe 4 years. the later ones seem to have cheaper drives on them and tend to make whirring noises when getting songs, which is never a good sign.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:34 am

The new phones are going up to 128gb for the most expensive model. I bet the touch follows suit next year. What sucks is that is still not enough storage for me. I have two classics - a 120gb that I filled and then I moved over to the 160gb which I still use all the time in the car. Both still work perfectly. I almost feel like I should pick up another and save it for the day these break but that may not be for years and hopefully someone comes out with something similar with enough storage capacity for my needs. I will NEVER go the way of the cloud, screw that.

I just wish they'd make some new iPod that's just an iPod with a lot of storage. It could be fancy like the touch but I don't give a shit about it being an iPhone without the telephone part. I just want a music player for when I'm on the go that can hold all my music.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 am

I suspect some other company will step up and market a music only player with a large hard drive.
Maybe we shouldn't have been so quick to laugh at Neil Young's Pono device. Or maybe the Walkman should make a comeback:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/sony ... udio-gear/
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby danny » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 am

i've still got my 80 gig ipod running. but it has been full for ages and i haven't been able to add new songs for 2 or 3 years (without manually rotating out).

i probably should have bought a 160 before they disappeared. Oh well.

Hopefully something will take it's place and I can move all my uploaded songs to a new device. I don't download songs from iTunes...I just put all my cds on my computer so I can synch them to the device. but i don't think i can move the apple audio files into a non-apple device. I'll probably have to upload everything again. sigh.
danny

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 am

I have a 160 gig that I inherited when my father in law passed away last year. It's basically filled up, but I probably only listen to about 5% of it. But I'll be damned if someone tries to take away the other 95%!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:57 am

I had a 15GB and 30GB that lasted about 8 years and a later gen 30 GB that lasted about 6 years. The weird thing is that they all died the same death (won't boot up) within a month of each other.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:09 am

Inbuilt obsolescence.
Welly

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:11 am

Welly wrote:Inbuilt obsolescence.

Yup. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but Apple definitely murdered my iPods.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:41 am

danny wrote:i've still got my 80 gig ipod running. but it has been full for ages and i haven't been able to add new songs for 2 or 3 years (without manually rotating out).

i probably should have bought a 160 before they disappeared. Oh well.

Hopefully something will take it's place and I can move all my uploaded songs to a new device. I don't download songs from iTunes...I just put all my cds on my computer so I can synch them to the device. but i don't think i can move the apple audio files into a non-apple device. I'll probably have to upload everything again. sigh.

New ones are still out there (for now), you just can't buy them direct from Apple.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby patient_ot » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:29 am

I probably should've bought one awhile ago, but I can't do without Rockbox support (need to play Ogg and Flac files), so it'd have to be an older gen one. I noticed that lots of old refurbished Ipods are on eBay, some with replaced hard drives and batteries. I have an Ipod mini that I bought refurb'd from Apple years ago, and I ended up getting a battery replacement kit for it. It still goes strong now, but I don't use it much because it barely has any capacity. I also have a Sansa Clip (older gen) that takes SD cards, which I like. Rockbox'd also.
patient_ot

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:06 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... st-gadgets

the iPod classic seems to go the way of vinyl where as there is still a demand for it and the prices have gone up
^v^
WrEtcH

Return to daghouse