Volcano Suns

Volcano Suns

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:38 am

Anyone pick this up yet? Really punchy sound. No "White Elephant" but still excellent:

http://www.mergerecords.com/old-paint-l ... ty-gardens

:bag:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Volcano Suns

Postby john stabb » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:17 pm

Nope, but I still have VS - Bumper Crop + 7" w/ Wire/Saints covers that I'd be happy to sell. :D
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby Knutsen » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:53 am

Saw Mission of Burma last year and complimented their sound guy about his good work.
He thanked me and asked me about the address of some former venue in the 80s.
He said he played there in the 80s, if it is around the corner, he would like to check it out again.
When I asked him about his band, he said, that he played in Volcano Suns. I told him, that I saw them back then.
We probably sounded like some veterans from the great grunge wars back in the late 80s of the last millenium.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby scannest » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:42 am

That would be Bob Weston you were talking with. He has been doing sound for MoB since they started up again. He's also the bass player in Shellac and an excellent engineer (he is a co-owner of Chicago Mastering Service)
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:02 pm

john stabb wrote:Nope, but I still have VS - Bumper Crop + 7" w/ Wire/Saints covers that I'd be happy to sell. :D

What songs did they do? I can't seem to find any info on this pressing via Google.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:08 am

yeah-the 7" isn't detailed on Discogs either :x
earthdog70

Postby Knutsen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:29 pm

scannest wrote:That would be Bob Weston you were talking with. He has been doing sound for MoB since they started up again. He's also the bass player in Shellac and an excellent engineer (he is a co-owner of Chicago Mastering Service)

:shock: :) thanks!
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby john stabb » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:41 pm

Whoops, not Volcano Suns, it's 8-) Kustomized - The Day I had Some Fun w/ A. The Day I Had Some Fun B. Surgeon's Girl/Stranded on MATADOR. I wrote about it before here. It's great but just I have it on my iPod so okay to part with it.

from "Trouser Press" -
With the once-mighty Boston art-noise scene threatening to recede from the world's consciousness, ex-Mission of Burma/Volcano Suns drummer Peter Prescott launched this fun-spirited ass-biting quartet in which he sings and plays wiry guitar. Kustomized's drummer, Kurt Davis, sang in Bullet LaVolta (where he was known as Yukki Gipe); guitarist Ed Yazijian and bassist Bob Moses complete the loose-fitting lineup. Keeping it all in the family, former Volcano Suns bassist Bob Weston, now of Shellac, produced the first two records, honing a serrated Chicago edge onto the band's casual stylings.

With Malcolm Travis — recently freed of his rhythmic obligations to Bob Mould in Sugar — taking over from Davis and Weston out of the picture, Kustomized shifted gears for the better on At the Vanishing Point. Diverse in tone, less prone to self-defeating indulgence and equipped with more generally reliable material, the album reveals the quartet's stylish side in "The One That Got Away," economically driven by two-fingered organ until a flamethrower guitar break, a properly noirish version of "Harlem Nocturne" and the opening instrumental, "Handcuffs." Elsewhere, Kustomized joyfully overkills simple tunes like a cover of Government Issue's "Bored to Death" with delirious power. So much for suave bachelor pad music — this brings it all back home to the crash pad floor.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:31 am

Ah-Kustomized! Still hoping for a reunion show since Malcolm is living in the N.E. area now, dare to dream :!:
earthdog70

Return to daghouse