You know you're too old when...

You know you're too old when...

Postby Janelle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:20 pm

When did you realize you were old?
I'm looking up jobs because I can see the end of something here, and anyway, you can't donate eggs anymore when you're over 31 ha not that I'd do that anyway, but it just hits you like, I'm washed up. :P !!
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Re: You know you're too old when...

Postby version sound » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Various points in my life. The biggest was when my daughter was born. That was the first time I thought about my own mortality.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:42 pm

When I realized I cared more about staying home and doing nothing than seeing every show that came to town.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:35 pm

When I wore a "Donny Osmond - Puppy Love" tee to be wacky & made mention to it onstage @ recent G.I. Damaged City Fest. 80% of the audience had no clue who the Osmond Brother was so it was the first time I've ever heard nothing but crickets. Perhaps, Bieber would've got a reaction :?: But that's okay because I'm sure there will be someone who will know Donny next time around. And my friend Bill (of the infamous chant on the teen idle's live track "Who's gay Bill & Jay" - both of them were very macho dudes but took it humorously) says "We're not getting older, just more experienced". :D
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby obik » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:42 pm

gregpolard wrote:When I realized I cared more about staying home and doing nothing than seeing every show that came to town.

Cripes, I've been old since I was seven years old...
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby dave123 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:16 pm

When I began consistently being referred to as "sir" when out in public... restaurants, grocery stores, even the local record store (uggghh). This happened today at the local record store. There was a new clerk who I have never met, and he referred to me as sir at least 3 times. To make matters worse, he was wearing jorts and had one of those ironic beards. I bought a Chuck Manson CD and some Donovan LPs, and he still threw in one more "sir" when he asked if I wanted a bag. I guess my purchases weren't youthful enough.
dave123

Postby john stabb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:49 pm

The "Sir" thing is kind of strange, indeed. I'm no GENTLEMAN, young man!!!
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby crus » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:54 am

A friend who's in his twenties posted a pic of an eighty year old Japanese woman and said she looked 50. To me she looked like she could have been anywhere between sixty and eighty.

I'm five point five years off fifty myself.

When one of my high school friends had his first grandchild was when it really started to hit home.
crus

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:14 am

Jowls. Fucking jowls.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 am

Janelle wrote:You know you're too old when...

...it's too loud.
Welly

Postby danny » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:49 am

the first time i felt really old was when I had a doctor who was (considerably) younger.

though my kids make me feel young...when i try to keep up with them running around, i realize that i'm firmly on the downward slope.
danny

Postby version sound » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:55 am

obik wrote:
gregpolard wrote:When I realized I cared more about staying home and doing nothing than seeing every show that came to town.

C'mon guys, it's all about the live experience. For everyone. Don't think you're entitled to just enjoy records or even live recordings. If you aren't going to every show you can, you're an asshole and your life is empty and meaningless.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:09 am

When all the health issues started and I started falling apart. I'm fighting it the best I can though and still trying to have as much fun as I can.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:17 am

Had enough time to learn lessons and learn from mistakes.

Had enough time to work beyond the frustration of not having the skills to get to the standard you expect of yourself.

Had enough time to realise that there's better stuff to think about than living up to some superficial societal standard expected of you.

You know you're too old when... you're dead.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:24 am

Welly wrote:Had enough time to learn lessons and learn from mistakes.

Had enough time to work beyond the frustration of not having the skills to get to the standard you expect of yourself.

Had enough time to realise that there's better stuff to think about than living up to some superficial societal standard expected of you.

I can relate to all of this in a big way. Well said.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby James » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:31 am

Getting a vasectomy in 2010 and getting prescribed blood pressure medication this spring. As well as the ungodly amount of grey hair in my beard, especially when I know a guy five years older with virtually no grey in his.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:32 am

James wrote:As well as the ungodly amount of grey hair in my beard, especially when I know a guy five years older with virtually no grey in his.

Hear hear! :D
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:23 am

Picking and choosing which shows to go to instead of just seeing them all.....

This wednesday is Bob Mould at Bowery Ballroom. I'm not going. I saw OFF! a couple of weeks ago, have Public Enemy & The Replacements next week so I didn't grab tix for Bob. At the time I figured I've seen him a bunch of times and he does come around almost every year but now I'm regretting it. I might make a game time decision Wed. night & just go but my old ass might be tired......
drew

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:28 am

drew wrote:Picking and choosing which shows to go to instead of just seeing them all.....

This wednesday is Bob Mould at Bowery Ballroom. I'm not going. I saw OFF! a couple of weeks ago, have Public Enemy & The Replacements next week so I didn't grab tix for Bob. At the time I figured I've seen him a bunch of times and he does come around almost every year but now I'm regretting it. I might make a game time decision Wed. night & just go but my old ass might be tired......

Hear hear. He played here on Friday and I didn't go. I did go to a different show, though!
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:18 am

drew wrote:Picking and choosing which shows to go to instead of just seeing them all.....

I'm still bummed I missed Bob here in Philly on Friday, as well as the Buzzcocks/Night Birds show. We just moved though and there's too much to do around the house. Same with the Gaslight/Jimmy Eat World/Against Me show this Friday. Wish I could make it but I can't. Just found out Johnny Marr is playing Philly on 11/10 so that will probably be the first show I'll have attended since June.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:12 pm

drew wrote:This wednesday is Bob Mould at Bowery Ballroom. I'm not going. I saw OFF! a couple of weeks ago, have Public Enemy & The Replacements next week so I didn't grab tix for Bob. At the time I figured I've seen him a bunch of times and he does come around almost every year but now I'm regretting it. I might make a game time decision Wed. night & just go but my old ass might be tired......

Pilster and I decided to skip the Bowery this time in favor of Bob at the Music Hall of Williamsburg this Saturday. I've also got Replacements, Oranges Band, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Torche and the Figgs coming up in the next month. So maybe I'm not as old as I thought, jowls and all.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Mark T. » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Having children quickly puts this "old" thing in perspective. As they grow and you remember when, you were in grade school, high school, and college. And now the kids just call my wife and I old. But like any real punker, I don't pay attention to any of it, despite all those gray hairs telling me otherwise.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Mark T. wrote:Having children quickly puts this "old" thing in perspective. As they grow and you remember when, you were in grade school, high school, and college.

...and then you learn things from them, and you realise you must've done an OK job, right?
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:10 pm

gregpolard wrote:I'm still bummed I missed Bob here in Philly on Friday, as well as the Buzzcocks/Night Birds show. We just moved though and there's too much to do around the house.

I hear you!
JGJR

Postby Mark T. » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Welly wrote:
Mark T. wrote:Having children quickly puts this "old" thing in perspective. As they grow and you remember when, you were in grade school, high school, and college.

...and then you learn things from them, and you realise you must've done an OK job, right?

Right indeed ! ! ! Always learning from them, haven't decided if that part makes me feel old or young . . .
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby Janelle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:40 am

dave123 wrote:When I began consistently being referred to as "sir" when out in public... restaurants, grocery stores, even the local record store (uggghh). This happened today at the local record store. There was a new clerk who I have never met, and he referred to me as sir at least 3 times. To make matters worse, he was wearing jorts and had one of those ironic beards. I bought a Chuck Manson CD and some Donovan LPs, and he still threw in one more "sir" when he asked if I wanted a bag. I guess my purchases weren't youthful enough.

True true, hearing Ma'am is disconcerting - especially when then I'm somewhere else and they ask for my ID and tell me I look young for my age. But weirdly the first time I remember being called "ma'am" was when I was 14 years old! I don't know if it was a cultural thing - it happened in Alabama. The waitress whilst serving me a soda in a pickle jar haha. I guess down there it's just a "nice" thing?
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:51 am

Welly wrote:Had enough time to learn lessons and learn from mistakes.

This post had a bit in reality and a bit in jest. I mean donating eggs?! :shock: I'm 34 I said "washed up" but that was being over-the-top silly.

I still feel (well, despite some aches) and act like I'm 21. It's pretty sad, I guess! No, but having too much fun I guess I'm selfish and childish. Not settling down. It's not for everyone. "Young til I die," said some punk rocker, right? :P
Janelle

Postby Gary » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:51 am

...you remember MRR had a punks over 30 issue,but don't really remember how long ago that was. (roughly 20 years ago,I think)
Gary

Postby Janelle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:21 am

obik wrote:

I FINALLY got what this reminded me of: Wimpy on the early Queers stuff:
"He's seven years old and he's DYING OF OLD AGE " - "I'm Useless"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gotta love the Wimpy.
Janelle

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:04 pm

Janelle wrote:This post had a bit in reality and a bit in jest. I mean donating eggs?! :shock: I'm 34 I said "washed up" but that was being over-the-top silly.

Donating eggs? Tell me about it! We have seven fucking chickens, got the things coming out of our friggin' ears.
Welly

Postby dave123 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Janelle wrote:
dave123 wrote:When I began consistently being referred to as "sir" when out in public... restaurants, grocery stores, even the local record store (uggghh). This happened today at the local record store. There was a new clerk who I have never met, and he referred to me as sir at least 3 times. To make matters worse, he was wearing jorts and had one of those ironic beards. I bought a Chuck Manson CD and some Donovan LPs, and he still threw in one more "sir" when he asked if I wanted a bag. I guess my purchases weren't youthful enough.

True true, hearing Ma'am is disconcerting - especially when then I'm somewhere else and they ask for my ID and tell me I look young for my age. But weirdly the first time I remember being called "ma'am" was when I was 14 years old! I don't know if it was a cultural thing - it happened in Alabama. The waitress whilst serving me a soda in a pickle jar haha. I guess down there it's just a "nice" thing?

You have a point. I didn't start noticing the "sir" thing until I moved to the south. There is hope for me yet... if I move out of the south;)
dave123

Postby dave123 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:23 pm

Gary wrote:...you remember MRR had a punks over 30 issue,but don't really remember how long ago that was. (roughly 20 years ago,I think)

That was probably just to make Tim not feel as old. Wasn't he over 30 when he started MRR?
dave123

Postby Gary » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Very possible.
Gary

Postby Knutsen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Already a couple years ago I was asked by some young punx if I am an undercover cop.

You are old when you are telling yourself, that you still feel young.
Young people don't feel young.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:11 pm

dave123 wrote:
Gary wrote:...you remember MRR had a punks over 30 issue,but don't really remember how long ago that was. (roughly 20 years ago,I think)

That was probably just to make Tim not feel as old. Wasn't he over 30 when he started MRR?

I think I still have that issue packed away somewhere... I want to say it was 1988 or 89. And yeah, there were a ton of geezers on their writing staff, even back then - Tim Yo, Jeff Bale, Larry Livermore, Mikel Board... all of them were like in their early/mid 40s at the time.
jaybird

Postby Welly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:44 am

Knutsen wrote:You are old when you are telling yourself, that you still feel young.
Young people don't feel young.

Good point, but not strictly true, as young people has always been as obsessed with 'being old' as old people are with 'feeling young'.

Aren't you always amused when you hear someone who is 16/18/21/25 talking about how they're passed it or over the hill because they've reached a certain age?

I remember (vaguely) being the most depressed on my 25th birthday. So I'd say it's probably closer to...

You know you're old when you no longer give a fuck because you know there's absolutely fuck all you can do about it.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:01 pm

you know you're old when you barely have anything to drink and feel like shit the next day
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby 77clash » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:24 pm

yourenotevil wrote:you know you're old when you barely have anything to drink and feel like shit the next day

I will be 45 in a month or so and that has never happened to me yet.
77clash

Postby 77clash » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm gonna stay young til I die.
77clash

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:26 pm

77clash wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:you know you're old when you barely have anything to drink and feel like shit the next day

well, i mean like 8 beers.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:25 am

yourenotevil wrote:
77clash wrote:

American?

Or actual beer? :lol:
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:30 am

Beer is for grownups. Yuck.
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:37 am

gregpolard wrote:Beer is for grownups. Yuck.

Get back on your lemonade stand Polard.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:48 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Beer is for grownups. Yuck.

Get back on your lemonade stand Polard.

mmmm Lemonade. Made from that time life handed me lemons...
gregpolard

Postby dave123 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:24 pm

Lemonade >>>>> beer
dave123

Postby Michele » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:18 pm

still looking for this, seriously, every morning after is harder than before, but I'm still not giving up ;)
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Knutsen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:42 am

77clash wrote:I'm gonna stay young til I die.

Too old to die young!
:lol:
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Welly wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
77clash wrote:

American?

The last 20 years of micro-brews have been very kind to us here, welly. Before that, sure you could make that point and be accurate.
JGJR

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:54 pm

JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
77clash wrote:

American?

The last 20 years of micro-brews have been very kind to us here, welly. Before that, sure you could make that point and be accurate.

They have indeed, they figured out they could hide the amateurish hop funk with citrus.

On the plus side, at least there's alcohol in it now.

Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:06 pm

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
77clash wrote:

American?

They have indeed, they figured out they could hide the amateurish hop funk with citrus.

On the plus side, at least there's alcohol in it now.

So wrong (but funny).
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse