You know you're too old when...

Re: You know you're too old when...

Postby Welly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:11 pm

I know right? I'm a comedy genius. There's some decent ales.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Welly wrote:
JGJR wrote:
Welly wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:
77clash wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:you know you're old when you barely have anything to drink and feel like shit the next day

I will be 45 in a month or so and that has never happened to me yet.

well, i mean like 8 beers.

American?

Or actual beer? :lol:

The last 20 years of micro-brews have been very kind to us here, welly. Before that, sure you could make that point and be accurate.

They have indeed, they figured out they could hide the amateurish hop funk with citrus.

On the plus side, at least there's alcohol in it now.

:lol:

personally, i would take most major american breweries over what europe has to offer these days. i am sure there are some smaller breweries out there in the UK and Europe that I have never had the chance to try, but euroswill is pretty much just another racket to get people to pay 17 bucks for something that is most likely brewed in Canada and they can slap the import tag on it. After living in CZ, I can say the beer there is pretty weak. Just a bunch of pilsners you can find anywhere. Sure it's cheap, but that was the best thing about it. Stella Artois was the only "out of town" beer most places had on tap.

I mean, what beers do you really back over there? Newscastle is pretty much overpriced Coors light. Guinness is a waste out here unless you get it a bar. Heineken is crap. The only thing Euros make that I would totally back is the Belgium ales and that kind of stuff. It tastes great, but it is usually like 10 bucks for a 22oz bottle of it out here, so I don't drink it that much. I think UK has lots of good ESB, but it is also expensive to get out here, and frankly not worth the price.

If you take out stuff like Pabst, Bud and Coors, major American breweries make a damn fine product for the most part, and companies like Samuel Adams make about 50 beers and have their own lines of microbrew. I would take anything Sierra Nevada makes over most of Europe. IPAs are a Euro invention, but America has perfected it. Add in the microbrews and the USA pretty much stands alone as the Kings of Beer.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby The Snake » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:52 pm

You´re too old when you rather wanna talk with your friends about music than go on some boring shows and watch some boring bands. Nothing wrong with that.
The Snake

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:49 am

yourenotevil wrote:personally, i would take most major american breweries over what europe has to offer these days. i am sure there are some smaller breweries out there in the UK and Europe that I have never had the chance to try, but euroswill is pretty much just another racket to get people to pay 17 bucks for something that is most likely brewed in Canada and they can slap the import tag on it. After living in CZ, I can say the beer there is pretty weak. Just a bunch of pilsners you can find anywhere. Sure it's cheap, but that was the best thing about it. Stella Artois was the only "out of town" beer most places had on tap.

I mean, what beers do you really back over there? Newscastle is pretty much overpriced Coors light. Guinness is a waste out here unless you get it a bar. Heineken is crap. The only thing Euros make that I would totally back is the Belgium ales and that kind of stuff. It tastes great, but it is usually like 10 bucks for a 22oz bottle of it out here, so I don't drink it that much. I think UK has lots of good ESB, but it is also expensive to get out here, and frankly not worth the price.

If you take out stuff like Pabst, Bud and Coors, major American breweries make a damn fine product for the most part, and companies like Samuel Adams make about 50 beers and have their own lines of microbrew. I would take anything Sierra Nevada makes over most of Europe. IPAs are a Euro invention, but America has perfected it. Add in the microbrews and the USA pretty much stands alone as the Kings of Beer.

Blah blah blah...

http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/bottles.html

The Old Brewery at Tadcaster was founded in 1758 and bears the name of local brewer Samuel Smith. It is both the oldest brewery in Yorkshire and the only surviving independent brewery in Tadcaster.
Brewing water for ales and stouts is still drawn from the original 85 ft (26 m) well, sunk when the site was established in 1758, and the yeast used in the fermentation process is of a strain that has been used continuously since approximately 1900 - one of the oldest unchanged strains in the country.
The brewery still has its own cooper making and repairing all its oak casks. All Samuel Smith’s naturally conditioned draught beer is served from the wood.
All Samuel Smith’s beers and ciders are suitable for a vegan diet (except cask conditioned Old Brewery Bitter and bottled Yorkshire Stingo).
Samuel Smith’s ales and stouts (except draught Sovereign and Extra Stout) are fermented in ‘stone Yorkshire squares’~ fermenting vessels
made of solid slabs of slate ~ which give the beers a fuller bodied taste, using the same strain of yeast since the nineteenth century.
All Samuel Smith’s beers are brewed solely from authentic natural ingredients without any chemical additives, raw material adjuncts, artificial sweeteners, colourings, flavourings or preservatives.
In the United States, Samuel Smith's bottled beers are imported by Merchant du Vin.
Welly

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:17 am

yeah, that is a good beer, but it usually goes for 5 or 6 bucks for a 22oz bottle. you didn't answer my question about what beers you back, unless this is the single one you like.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:54 am

yourenotevil wrote:yeah, that is a good beer, but it usually goes for 5 or 6 bucks for a 22oz bottle. you didn't answer my question about what beers you back, unless this is the single one you like.

Well you've gotta pay for quality. Here it's the equivalent of $4.50 for a pint bottle. Which is sometimes better than swilling cooking lager.

There are literally masses of micro breweries and the like, as well as many other older ones from the U.K.

That said, you only named U.K. stuff that seemed to be the equivalent of 'Pabst, Bud and Coors', so I figured you'd made your mind up.

I think I've already mentioned Brewdog brewery of Scotland and their 'Punk' and 'Hardcore' IPAs.

Another older one is St. Austell brewery of Cornwall and their 'Proper Job'.

A new local micro to me is Tiny Rebel.
Welly

Previous

Return to daghouse