Swingin' Utters - new

Swingin' Utters - new

Postby Janelle » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:52 am

Interviewing these old stalwarts this week. Got to hear the new record out in Nov. Sounds awesome, actually. "Napalm South" is a real standout I love the way Johnny articulates this one line: "written on Post-its" :)
Others to watch out for: "Spanish," "Tell Them Told You So," "Tibetan Book of The Damned," "We Are Your Garbage" (love the title)
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Re: Swingin' Utters - new

Postby Janelle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Cool. No one cared about this.
That interview had a teenage quality about it. I don't know how to put it. At first it was nervous then it got cool then I went into the omg the 2010 seeing you at Troubadour and after Daily Show in NYC haha oh well. I tried to keep it complimentary not groupie
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:10 pm

Ew and then I ask the obligatory "Well, how'd you get into punk and hardcore in the first place?" spiel b/c I want to one day put this all into one tome, and he says about being 13 going to first show and I mention it again later and he says it was Verbal Abuse and then I do the thing where it's true and I just said, "No way. I'm wearing a Verbal Abuse shirt right now." Stupid. I couldn't help it. It was just such a coincidence I don't wear this shirt often weird.
Janelle

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:42 pm

They were a real good band. I had a few albums a long time ago. (Over a decade). I guess I should start listening again. That's why I love that 'Last 5 things thread so much. Reminds me of good music I'd forgotten about.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby captain2man » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Makes me happy they're still around and putting out music. I actually interviewed them for the second issue of my old zine (that never ended up coming out) - this was in the early days, I think they were touring The Streets of San Francisco at the time. It was in the back room at Wetlands - forgot who they were opening for on that tour. I remember them being genuinely cool and funny guys.

I think my favorite of theirs is Five Lessons Learned, but I can't say I'm familiar with all their records.

Didn't we see them together a few years back at that short-lived place that was in Tribeca?.....were they touring with the Adolescents maybe?
captain2man

Postby MJH » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Enjoyed seeing them open for Social D and the Supersuckers back in the late 90s...solid band.
MJH

Postby dave123 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 pm

I don't think I have ever heard this band (I probably have without knowing it). Where should one start?
dave123

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:19 am

Toured with them a couple of times. Great guys and always liked their stuff, although I've not heard all of them as I don't follow Shat Wreck Chords. I was on their first tour with them in the U.S., and then later we toured across Canada, man I have some stories. Probably posted them all here six times already.
Welly

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:19 am

dave123 wrote:I don't think I have ever heard this band (I probably have without knowing it). Where should one start?

Streets of San Francisco LP
A Juvenile Product of the Working Class LP
Welly

Return to daghouse