Samhain

Re: Samhain

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 pm

jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:Does anyone here actually pronounce it "sow-when" or however the Gaelic or Celtic pronunciation goes?

I do.

LOL, no you don't.

Oh yes I do. How else can you CORRECTLY sing the choruses to "November's Fire" and "Soul on Fire"? You can't.
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:37 pm

yourenotevil wrote:i guess i should say at the end of the day i am by no means a huge danzig guy. i have a lot of his records, but aside from having a cool voice and gimmick i never really thought of him as some kind of musical prodigy that many of his fans seem to do. i think the misfits wrote some damn great songs and that was by far his best stuff. i even like earth AD a lot, but i probably listen to the misfits a few times a year at most. i think the first three danzig records have a cool vibe, but the first one is the best and they def get worse as you go down the line. i saw danzig in like 2003 and he opened with his korn sounding solo stuff and my friend make me leave the show since his wife was falling asleep. i saw him again in 2006 and doyle came out looking like a fool and they did some decent misfits covers and he sounded pretty good, but i was kind of done with him after that. from footage i have seen, he seems to have lost his voice anyway.

I don't think I've been excited about his current work since 1989, but I never get sick of anything he did through Initium. I still enjoy the records after that through early Danzig, but I'm in the mood for it less often than the earlier stuff.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:20 am

FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:Does anyone here actually pronounce it "sow-when" or however the Gaelic or Celtic pronunciation goes?

I do.

LOL, no you don't.

Oh yes I do. How else can you CORRECTLY sing the choruses to "November's Fire" and "Soul on Fire"? You can't.

But not in normal conversation you don't. Like, if you and I were at a party, and I asked if you liked "Sam-hane", and you go, "Oh, you mean 'Sow-when'?" 1) no, you wouldn't and 2) if you did, I'd punch you in the face.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:39 am

jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

I do.

LOL, no you don't.

But not in normal conversation you don't. Like, if you and I were at a party, and I asked if you liked "Sam-hane", and you go, "Oh, you mean 'Sow-when'?" 1) no, you wouldn't and 2) if you did, I'd punch you in the face.

:lol:
FormerLurker

Postby Michele » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:24 pm

ok, just discovered this thread. I just saw the first post and found it perfect: best Danzig band. dot
rest is useless... Love them since late 80s and Always found them a perfect balancing among misfits and danzig solo stuff: raw and punk sound, obscure and dark mood
no rnr Tunes, no hard rock, just evil music to keep you safe :D
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:42 pm

at first it was difficult for me to get into SAMHAIN just coming off the MISFITS, but after a while it sunk in. I think that "November Coming Fire" had the better production, but "Initium" the better songs (tho I love "mother of mercy" a lot) I have to admit that DANZIG was an easier transition coming from SAMHAIN. As much as I like the SAMHAIN releases, it's hard for me to throw 'em on the iPod these days.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby The Snake » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:17 am

I remember in the 90´s when the Danzig - Mother video was actual. When I saw the video, I was like, what a fuck is this? Being Misfits fan and seeing that horrible song/video, I never bothered to check the Danzig. Samhain also... Am I really missing something?
The Snake

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 am

The Snake wrote:I remember in the 90´s when the Danzig - Mother video was actual. When I saw the video, I was like, what a fuck is this? Being Misfits fan and seeing that horrible song/video, I never bothered to check the Danzig. Samhain also... Am I really missing something?

You're missing something with both, IMO. The first two Danzig records sound like the Misfits produced by Rick Rubin. Samhain is like the Misfits, yet totally different. Definitely more "Halloween" and "Halloween II" than "TV Casualty".
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:20 am

As I suspected, they were terrible at Riot Fest. Danzig needs to retire as he clearly can't cut it as a vocalist anymore. He got winded by the third song and even before that he sounded like shit and suddenly has a higher pitched voice like someone had his nuts in a vice.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:35 am

Oh yeah, if we're talking Misfits, Samhain, or Danzig in 2014, it's a definite PASS on all three.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:38 am

MXV wrote:As I suspected, they were terrible at Riot Fest. Danzig needs to retire as he clearly can't cut it as a vocalist anymore. He got winded by the third song and even before that he sounded like shit and suddenly has a higher pitched voice like someone had his nuts in a vice.

Thanks. You just saved me $50 for next month. I was planning on going but...nah. I saw them in '99 on the reunion and it was awesome. That'll be enough for me.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Guess Eerie Von isn't onboard, so not interested ;)
Michele

Postby jaybird » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:01 am

FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:
jaybird wrote:
FormerLurker wrote:

I do.

LOL, no you don't.

:lol:

DEFINITIVE @ 2:24

Now fuck off.
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:32 pm

I do not accept this. There will be no fucking off.
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:26 am

:x
jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:58 am

Did they ever play the legendary Graystone?
FormerLurker

Postby jaybird » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:57 am

jaybird

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:22 am

Well, shit.
FormerLurker

Postby john stabb » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:06 pm

It's pronounced "Salmon". I always knew there was something fishy with that Danzig.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:52 am

john stabb wrote:It's pronounced "Salmon". I always knew there was something fishy with that Danzig.

This made me LOL
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:32 am

My Danzig band, I have so many great memories linking me to this band, specially a trip in the Sahara desert (Morocco part) with Samhain, Christian Death and Celtic Frost as soundtrack, it was a mind changing experience. still, they are Always on air on this period down here
Michele

Previous

Return to daghouse