YOUTH BRIGADE

YOUTH BRIGADE

Postby The Snake » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 pm

Which Youth Brigade you like more? Why?
These days I mostly hear about DC Youth Brigade, but for me, LA Youth Brigade were much better.
I mean, I like DC YB also, specially the demo and Flex Your Head tracks, but Sound & Fury is such a great record, I can´t get enough of it.
Also, what do you think which Sound & Fury version is better?
I like both versions, but first version is a little bit more raw and more punk sounding than second version.
I also recommend early comp tracks and the demo bootleg EP that has different versions of the songs from the LP (and one unreleased song).
Also, why they recorded another album and gave it the same name, such a strange move in my opinion.
As for later YB stuff, there are some 90´s records that are not bad at all.
The Snake

Re: YOUTH BRIGADE

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:34 pm

I don't think I've ever listened to the DC Youth Brigade.

As for the LA band, I really love "Out of Print", which is a CD with the debut LP as originally recorded.
patient_ot

Postby captain2man » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 pm

I don't even know how to compare the two.

One band was an average young band with a grand total of maybe 15 minutes worth of recorded music, which is decent enough, but hardly epic.

The other band has been going - more or less - for about 30 years and put out one of the classic Southern Cali records of all time, not to mention some excellent later works as well. I prefer the second version of Sound & Fury, but probably only because it was the one I grew up with - I didn't hear the original version until they released "Out of Print"....it's fine, but not as good as the second-time-around version.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:45 pm

DC. I liked Sound and Fury in the '80s, but feel pretty meh about it these days. I stopped listening to them when they became The Brigade and have no interest in hearing their later "Oops, we were only joking, we're a punk band again!" records. The DC Youth Brigade's output was small, but great. I'm still agitating for a Complete Youth Brigade release from Dischord. Also, Danny from DC Youth Brigade is a member here and seems to be an outstanding dude.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby The Snake » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:54 pm

As for second Sound And fury version, I also grew up with that version because I bought both Sound And Fury LP and Sink With Kalifornija CD sometime in 1994. But these days, i listen more the first version.

As for DC YB, it would be great to see some YB whole release on Dischord, with some cool liner notes by the band members, that would be awesome!
The Snake

Postby tango fistula » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:51 pm

[quote="version sound" "Oops, we were only joking, we're a punk band again!" [/quote]

Bad Religion did that and got a free pass.....PRAISED even...

The rest is me picking on two very mediocre "Youth" bands...there were
more then a few better "Youth" bands out there back then.
tango fistula

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:20 pm

Youth Youth Youth.

Both YBs are good, but I was big into BYO as a kid. So much so I later signed up.

For me BYO was up there with Dischord and Alternative Tentacles.

Remember buying Sound and Fury in '84 and playing to everyone who would listen that summer.

Funnily enough, I re-watched Let Them Know last night, has some amusing moments.

The Brigade album had some good songs, no different from what a lot of other bands did at the time.
Welly

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:24 pm

I guess my tastes just changed, but none of that '80s BYO stuff really holds up for me.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:26 pm

version sound wrote:I guess my tastes just changed, but none of that '80s BYO stuff really holds up for me.

It was all in the 80's. So you don't like any of it?
Welly

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Welly wrote:
version sound wrote:I guess my tastes just changed, but none of that '80s BYO stuff really holds up for me.

It was all in the 80's. So you don't like any of it?

I was never a huge SNFU fan, though I did own the first two LPs. Also, wasn't hugely into Skid Marks. I liked 7 Seconds and Youth Brigade a lot, but have tried to listen to them in recent years and just wasn't feeling it. The only one I can think of that I can still enjoy is Agression's Don't Be Mistaken.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby danny » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:06 pm

pfft. not even close.
the dc youth brigade were awful. aside from bert, that is.
danny

Postby yourenotevil » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:00 pm

kind of hard to compare. LA YB do get old after 30 minutes or so i guess, but they had some killer songs.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby obik » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 pm

danny wrote:the dc youth brigade were awful. aside from xxxHunterxxx, that is.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Welly wrote:Youth Youth Youth.

Good answer.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby jeffb01 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:12 pm

random thoughts about LA version:

for some reason, "Out of Print" is missing a song from the original album (Something's Gonna Change) - why?!?

Violence is one of the all-time greats. Does anyone know of any bands that have covered that song?

I like the What Price Happiness 7" and the Brigade.
jeffb01

Postby obik » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:32 pm

jeffb01 wrote:I like the What Price Happiness 7" and the Brigade.

You are a terrible human being, even by the debased standards of the Dagboard.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby James » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 pm

obik wrote:

Good answer.

Here ya go

https://youthyouthyouth.bandcamp.com/releases
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby obik » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:12 pm

James wrote:
obik wrote:

Good answer.

Here ya go

Even better answer. As soon as I have $5 to my name, I will buy it...

A couple years back I tried to talk Rob Mallion into putting out a YYY CD. He demurred...

Also, just on the off chance, you don't know where I could download the first Young Lions demo or the TOHC comp, do you?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:54 am

jeffb01 wrote:Violence is one of the all-time greats. Does anyone know of any bands that have covered that song?

0 by 1985, which is about when I stopped caring.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:50 am

I have a sealed original first version of Sound and Fury I'd trade either for some really rare item from my want list or a very large stack of cash. It's the real deal, not that shitty bootleg.

If someone has a copy of Social Distortion - Mommy's Little Monster on green vinyl on Triple X records I'd trade it for that.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby James » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:02 am

obik wrote:
James wrote:
obik wrote:

Good answer.

Here ya go

Even better answer. As soon as I have $5 to my name, I will buy it...

A couple years back I tried to talk Rob Mallion into putting out a YYY CD. He demurred...

Also, just on the off chance, you don't know where I could download the first Young Lions demo or the TOHC comp, do you?

No, but I'll let you know when I do. The TOHC comp was reissued on vinyl a few years ago though.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-TOHardco ... se/3117888
James

Postby Welly » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:11 am

So does that YYY anthology have anything on it not on the Sin or Repackaged 12"s?

I contacted them years ago re: doing a history of the band and possible reissue but just got an initial reply with "What?!" followed by no replies to my interest in their band. I guess they went the shitty download route themselves.

All said, with my history of releasing paranoid Canadian bands, it's probably just as well the non-versation went no further. :lol:
Welly

Postby James » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 am

Welly wrote:So does that YYY anthology have anything on it not on the Sin or Repackaged 12"s?

I contacted them years ago re: doing a history of the band and possible reissue but just got an initial reply with "What?!" followed by no replies to my interest in their band. I guess they went the shitty download route themselves.

All said, with my history of releasing paranoid Canadian bands, it's probably just as well the non-versation went no further. :lol:

Oh yeah, forgot all about that!
James

Postby James » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:50 am

James

Postby obik » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:26 am

James wrote:Hey Obik, maybe this record has the Young Lions demo on it?

http://www.discogs.com/Young-Lions-1982 ... se/2488008

I contributed pictures for that release. I think it had one or two cuts from the first demo...which I can't play any more, seeing as I don't have a freaking turntable.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 am

Welly wrote:So does that YYY anthology have anything on it not on the Sin or Repackaged 12"s?

Yeah, buncha songs. I just bought it and'll give it a listen later and let you know if it's worth buying (though, at $5, even a straight reissue of Repackaged would be worth it to me).
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby obik » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:29 am

James wrote:No, but I'll let you know when I do. The TOHC comp was reissued on vinyl a few years ago though.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-TOHardco ... se/3117888

How in fuck did I miss that?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby 77clash » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Where Are All the Old Man Bars?
77clash

Postby john stabb » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:28 pm

As much as my friend danny dismisses his own band, I have to go with the DC Chapter. They meant something to me in the heyday of hardcore circa 1980-82. Still have a soft spot in my heart for them. Even the gigs I saw/played w/them were more memorable than the far more popular L.A. Chapter. :mrgreen:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby Knutsen » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:07 am

I prefer the LA Youth Brigade all the way. Great band.
And The 2nd version of S&F is still better than a most of today's punk & HC bands.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Last time I saw Youth Brigade was at the Fest in Florida and Stern was so fucking drunk he could barely sing and play guitar. It might have worked in a smaller venue/bar with everyone singing along and dancing with the band at their level, but being in a huge club with them on a stage and great PA, it just made them sound like shit and was kind of embarrassing. I'm all for getting drunk and having fun, just not during the 30m you play maybe? Welly, was that the year you were there and if so, did you see that set?
FlexMyHead

Postby john stabb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:03 pm

The L.A. Chapter always had this Oi sound happening with Shawn singing like Danzig (early Misfits-era) so the 2 times I've seen them (once in WDC - 82 & @ Skatopia w/ edog in Sleeper Agent!), I liked them. Just never went gaga over them. Stern being incredibly drunk sounds pretty pathetic. I mean I don't expect them to be all super-sober but being incredibly drunk is just not cool to your audience (unless it's just expected like Shane McGowan in the Pogues). :roll:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby version sound » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:03 am

If you can be fucked up and hold it together, that's fine, but once you approach the Darby Crash level of ruining your own show, it's not so cool.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:43 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Last time I saw Youth Brigade was at the Fest in Florida and Stern was so fucking drunk he could barely sing and play guitar. It might have worked in a smaller venue/bar with everyone singing along and dancing with the band at their level, but being in a huge club with them on a stage and great PA, it just made them sound like shit and was kind of embarrassing. I'm all for getting drunk and having fun, just not during the 30m you play maybe? Welly, was that the year you were there and if so, did you see that set?

I was at the Fest in '07. I saw YB in the same big venue that D4, Raygun and Seaweed played. Shawn didn't seem drunk on stage, although I was more distracted by the mouthy obnoxious new bassist they had. I've seen them dozens of times, and it didn't stand out as a particularly great performance. If he was hammered, it'd explain why he had zero to say in the first time in 9 years we'd seen each other. Either that or he was just seething with hate. :lol: Also, if he was hammered, someone must've slipped him a second small can of PRB. A 33cl suddy Corona was like a 40oz Colt 45 to those YB guys. :lol:
Welly

Return to daghouse