Screaming Trees

Screaming Trees

Postby patient_ot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:56 am

Can't remember if they were brought up before, wondered if anyone else liked them.

I think their albums from Invisible Lantern through the final one have held up quite well.
patient_ot

Re: Screaming Trees

Postby captain2man » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:41 pm

Definitely a fan. I love Lanegan's voice.

I saw them open for Dino Jr. & My Bloody Valentine back in 1992 as a replacement for Babes in Toyland (who dropped off the tour in the wake of Joe Cole's murder). They totally blew me away and I had never heard anything of theirs before that.

I actually happen to think they're one of the few examples of a band whose best work came after they signed to a major. The SST-era stuff is good, but I happen to think both Uncle Anesthesia and Sweet Oblivion are superior (never heard the final album, Dust).
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 pm

captain2man wrote:Definitely a fan. I love Lanegan's voice.

I saw them open for Dino Jr. & My Bloody Valentine back in 1992 as a replacement for Babes in Toyland (who dropped off the tour in the wake of Joe Cole's murder). They totally blew me away and I had never heard anything of theirs before that.

I actually happen to think they're one of the few examples of a band whose best work came after they signed to a major. The SST-era stuff is good, but I happen to think both Uncle Anesthesia and Sweet Oblivion are superior (never heard the final album, Dust).

I must disagree. I LOVE Invisible Lantern (though I've never heard their other SST albums, honestly) and also had Uncle Aenesthesia but didn't like that nearly as much or didn't play it nearly as much at least. "Bed of Roses" is a phenomenal song, though.

Where would you start with Lanegan solo (open question)?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Dan Celebrity » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:54 pm

No way, can't skip the first 2! Even If and Especially When is an absolute masterpiece.

And don't forget that Solomon Grundy LP! Totally great record.
Dan Celebrity

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm

"I Nearly Lost You" great song! Saw them open up for SONIC YOUTH during the "Dirty" tour. They were fun.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby lewdd » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:05 pm

WrEtcH wrote:"I Nearly Lost You" great song! Saw them open up for SONIC YOUTH during the "Dirty" tour. They were fun.

That may be the only song I know by them.
lewdd

Postby drew » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:21 am

JGJR wrote:

I must disagree. I LOVE Invisible Lantern (though I've never heard their other SST albums, honestly) and also had Uncle Aenesthesia but didn't like that nearly as much or didn't play it nearly as much at least. "Bed of Roses" is a phenomenal song, though.

I love Lanegan, I've probably said this many times around here. The guy can do no wrong, AFAIAC.
My fave solo album of his is "Bubblegum" I would say to start with "Whiskey for The Holy Ghost" & then "The Winding Sheet" His recent one "Blues Funeral" is great and his all covers album from last year "Imitations" is still in my regular playlist. He put out a Best-of this year "Has God Seen My Shadow" that has a pretty good career selection plus some B-Sides & that's cool. His cover of "Big White Cloud" is amazing. For JGJR I think you would really like his albums with Isabel Campbell. The first one is OK but "Hawk" and "Sunday at Devil Dirt" are fantastic.
For Screaming Trees, I love "Sweet Oblivian" but the SST stuff is great "Clairvoiance" & "Buzz Factory" are my favs of the early stuff. His live show has been great these last few years since he''s been clean. He's always great with Greg Dulli in The Gutter Twins. Those are great records also. I can go on all day about Mark......I believe his new album album is dropping soon.....
drew

Postby drew » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:23 am

patient_ot wrote:Can't remember if they were brought up before, wondered if anyone else liked them.

I think their albums from Invisible Lantern through the final one have held up quite well.

Have you checked out "Last Words: The Final Recordings" it's the album that was never released. Really great.
drew

Postby patient_ot » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:33 am

drew wrote:Have you checked out "Last Words: The Final Recordings" it's the album that was never released. Really great.

Yes, that's what I meant by the final album, though I guess the final "official" album is Dust. Both great.
patient_ot

Postby patient_ot » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:35 am

JGJR wrote:

I think "Uncle" might be the weakest of their post-SST releases. I would recommend their other later albums over that one. Also if you like Invisible, make sure you get Buzz Factory, the one after it. It's like Invisible but it might be a little better IMHO.
patient_ot

Postby Michele » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:38 pm

Totallya fan, loved the SST era and also the second part of their discography, Uncle Anesthesia was great. saw them live in early 90s in Roma and they did a great show... sadly I never had the time to investigate Lanegan solo records, but I guess I should...
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby crus » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:37 am

Great band. Always thought they deserved the accolades that Smashing Pumpkins received. I saw Lanegan play a few years ago. It was a no nonsense gig with no support act, just him and another guitarist. He played a lot of material from Bubblegum.
crus

Postby MXV » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:25 am

I have a couple of the SST records and that Sub Pop double single and enjoy them but haven't played them in a long time, I shall revisit them!

I remember seeing them once or twice back around the time they did the Sub Pop single and shortly after signing to a major label and enjoyed them each time.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:01 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I love Lanegan, I've probably said this many times around here. The guy can do no wrong, AFAIAC.
My fave solo album of his is "Bubblegum" I would say to start with "Whiskey for The Holy Ghost" & then "The Winding Sheet" His recent one "Blues Funeral" is great and his all covers album from last year "Imitations" is still in my regular playlist. He put out a Best-of this year "Has God Seen My Shadow" that has a pretty good career selection plus some B-Sides & that's cool. His cover of "Big White Cloud" is amazing. For JGJR I think you would really like his albums with Isabel Campbell. The first one is OK but "Hawk" and "Sunday at Devil Dirt" are fantastic.
For Screaming Trees, I love "Sweet Oblivian" but the SST stuff is great "Clairvoiance" & "Buzz Factory" are my favs of the early stuff. His live show has been great these last few years since he''s been clean. He's always great with Greg Dulli in The Gutter Twins. Those are great records also. I can go on all day about Mark......I believe his new album album is dropping soon.....

Thanks! What's the one that has his cover of The Gun Club's "Carry Home"? I may start with that one. I know I can Google it, but I want your take on that album. Thanks again.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:51 pm

I didn't know much about them till my sweet dear friend (RIP) Naomi Petersen told me how big of G.I. fans they were & finally got the chance to help build their 75 ft steel stage @ Lollapalooza '97 so the crew + I were lucky enough to see them up close on the stage. Them (+ side stage acts: You am I, GVSB, and Ruby were amazing :!: ) Metallica (zzzzzzzzzzzz) headlined the mainstage but it should've been Screaming Trees. This was during the "Dust" era. Them, Nirvana, Alcohol Funnycar (who played w/ Emmapeel and the Posies were really the only bands of that WA state period I liked. The rest of that Seattle scene can suck it :!:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby paul » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:30 am

Amazing band, and Lanegan is one of my all time favorite vocalists! His solo stuff is also quite good.

They literally got better with every record
paul

Postby captain2man » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:13 pm

I remember them having quite the imposing presence as well, with the lanky Lanegan sandwiched between the two behemoth Connor brothers.

I can still feel the wah wah.
captain2man

Return to daghouse