Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm

I'm considering going to Philly to see them tomorrow night. Has anyone seen a show on this tour? If so, how was it?
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Re: Black Sabbath

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Honestly, I've heard good things. I've heard that Ozzy sounds great during the old songs and "ok" during the new ones, which is kinda funny.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Here is a very detailed review:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/2013/07/au ... rt-review/

I'm going Monday. Here's my review of 13:

http://sheamagazine.com/black-sabbath-thirteen/

8-)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:57 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Here is a very detailed review:

http://www.black-sabbath.com/2013/07/au ... rt-review/

I'm going Monday. Here's my review of 13:

http://sheamagazine.com/black-sabbath-thirteen/

8-)

ozzy sounds pretty bad in that video. someone told me lawn seats in houston were 35 bucks. i would have gladly paid that for nosebleeds but in LA and seattle they were 70. way too much IMO.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:49 am

of the footage of the opening night of the US tour, they look great! I like the new album too

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby version sound » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:56 am

I think you mean "sound great". Ozzy hasn't looked great since the '70s. Even in that show from '83(ish) that they showed on MTV at the time he looked like an old woman.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby WrEtcH » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:00 am

version sound wrote:I think you mean "sound great". Ozzy hasn't looked great since the '70s. Even in that show from '83(ish) that they showed on MTV at the time he looked like an old woman.

:lol: that cam is from a far distance, but I've seen 3 HEAVEN & HELL (as well as SABBATH on Ozzfest) performances and it's always still jaw dropping to me to see Iommi on stage and how smooth he plays. Geezer looks great too. I try and phase out the new drummer, but it's hard, but otherwise to see Ozzy, Iommi & Butler on that footage, it excites me even if I have reserved feelings of Bill Ward not being there.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:00 pm

I'm all in, baby.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:05 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I'm all in, baby.

Listening to the new Sabbath album on Spotify convinced me. This record is really good.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:11 pm

Did they play anything from Heaven and Hell (their best album)?

I bet they wouldn't have the balls.

heh.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:45 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Did they play anything from Heaven and Hell (they're best album)?

I bet they wouldn't have the balls.

Let me know the next time you're in DC so I can explain Black Sabbath to you.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm here. No sign of xxxMidgexxx.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:07 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I'm here. No sign of xxxMidgexxx.

Dio passed away and Ward is not playing. Why would any band attempt to use the name Black Sabbath. This is not Black Flag.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:05 pm

I really enjoyed the show. Iommi and Geezer were great and the drummer was excellent as well. Terrific song selection (though it looks like they're playing the same set in every city). They even played "Dirty Women." And it was over by 10:30, which means I was back in DC by 12:45. I'm glad I did it because I have a sneaking suspicion this may be Sabbath's last go-round.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:37 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:They even played "Dirty Women."

Their credit rating went up somewhat.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:03 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I really enjoyed the show. Iommi and Geezer were great and the drummer was excellent as well. Terrific song selection (though it looks like they're playing the same set in every city). They even played "Dirty Women." And it was over by 10:30, which means I was back in DC by 12:45. I'm glad I did it because I have a sneaking suspicion this may be Sabbath's last go-round.

how much were your tix?
yourenotevil

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:42 am

yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I really enjoyed the show. Iommi and Geezer were great and the drummer was excellent as well. Terrific song selection (though it looks like they're playing the same set in every city). They even played "Dirty Women." And it was over by 10:30, which means I was back in DC by 12:45. I'm glad I did it because I have a sneaking suspicion this may be Sabbath's last go-round.

how much were your tix?

I went for the $125 option. I was about 10 rows from the stage and two rows up from the floor. I was going to take the $49 option but I figured that if I was going to go to the trouble of driving all the way to Philly, I may as well splurge a bit. It was a great seat.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:19 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:They even played "Dirty Women."

Their credit rating went up somewhat.

That was on the Reunion album from the late '90s, so it's been a staple of their sets since they reformed. Anyway, I'm glad I got to see them 3 times in the late '90s and early '00s and once (at least) with Ward. I like the new album, but didn't feel the need to see them again considering how shot Ozzy's voice was the last time I saw him. I remember paying about 90 bucks and that was for like the 10th row or something, so it's interesting how much higher the already exorbitant prices have gotten since then.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:57 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

how much were your tix?

I went for the $125 option. I was about 10 rows from the stage and two rows up from the floor. I was going to take the $49 option but I figured that if I was going to go to the trouble of driving all the way to Philly, I may as well splurge a bit. It was a great seat.

man, that would get you to about the second level at the show in WA. my interest was raised a bit from the reviews, but the show is not even in seattle, it is in some place called the gorge in the middle of nowhere. it would be a 600 mile round trip. even if the tickets were under 50, that would prolly be enough to keep me away.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:59 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

how much were your tix?

man, that would get you to about the second level at the show in WA. my interest was raised a bit from the reviews, but the show is not even in seattle, it is in some place called the gorge in the middle of nowhere. it would be a 600 mile round trip. even if the tickets were under 50, that would prolly be enough to keep me away.

The Gorge is where the Sasquatch Festival is held every Memorial Day weekend. We went in 2007 and as far as festivals go, it was among the better ones we have been to. The highlights included Neko Case, an instrumental Beastie Boys set, a Bad Brains set that was great musically but with an out to lunch, white-suit wearing HR, et al. Oh and great sets on the smallest of the three stages by Visqueen and The Blow, but I digress.

The town it's in (George) is indeed in the middle of nowhere, but the drive we took from Seattle (where we flew in and spent a few days before and after the fest) and back is one of the most beautiful you will ever take in your life. Maybe as a West Coast person now living in PDX, you are used to such natural beauty, but as someone who loves the Pacific Northwest but has spent most of his life on the East Coast, I certainly don't!
Plus, the scenery at the ampitheater in Gorge is breathtaking as well. It's worth the trip for that alone if you've never been there. If you go, though, I have to warn you that there's absolutely nothing to do out there, but there is some pretty good Mexican food as the town is full of Mexican immigrants.

Oh and we met a couple (with a small child or children; can't remember now) from Portland who were staying at our hotel and they made the trip up there!
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:07 pm

it sounds interesting, but i can't make a vacation out of it right now. i guess i can live with just seeing them on the first reunion tour and again at ozzfest. honestly, i would much rather haven seen dio play with them in the last 10 years or so, still kicking myself for never going. also, there was talk of the born again line up playing again since it was the 25th anniversary recently, but ozzy ended up coming aboard. tony did do two songs with gillan which i thought were decent two years ago.
yourenotevil

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:20 pm

yourenotevil wrote:it sounds interesting, but i can't make a vacation out of it right now. i guess i can live with just seeing them on the first reunion tour and again at ozzfest. honestly, i would much rather haven seen dio play with them in the last 10 years or so, still kicking myself for never going. also, there was talk of the born again line up playing again since it was the 25th anniversary recently, but ozzy ended up coming aboard. tony did do two songs with gillan which i thought were decent two years ago.

I hear you. We can't go anywhere right now, either! :(

I also had no idea that the Born Again lineup was thinking of reuniting. I've never been able to get into that album, though I know others who love it.They were still doing Heaven and Hell in 2008 (when the 25th anniversary of that album was), though.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:42 pm

JGJR wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:it sounds interesting, but i can't make a vacation out of it right now. i guess i can live with just seeing them on the first reunion tour and again at ozzfest. honestly, i would much rather haven seen dio play with them in the last 10 years or so, still kicking myself for never going. also, there was talk of the born again line up playing again since it was the 25th anniversary recently, but ozzy ended up coming aboard. tony did do two songs with gillan which i thought were decent two years ago.

I hear you. We can't go anywhere right now, either! :(

I also had no idea that the Born Again lineup was thinking of reuniting. I've never been able to get into that album, though I know others who love it.They were still doing Heaven and Hell in 2008 (when the 25th anniversary of that album was), though.

i love that album. maybe the talks came out when iommi and gillan teamed up for that Who Cares single in 2011. i am not sure how serious the talks with ozzy were at that point. obviously iommi is a mercenary when it comes to to kicking guys to the curb to getting someone else that will sell the most tickets. i could see this being sabbath's final tour with ozzy and him moving onto gillan, who probably could use the money at this point. i think he was pretty much done with ozzy and pretty serious about doing heaven and hell for the rest of his life, but dio's death obviously opened up the door to all of this.
yourenotevil

Return to daghouse